Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2003, 06:00 PM   #161
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Well, no more sticking up for people on my part. If y'all get banned, then good riddance. What ever happened to the topic?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:02 PM   #162
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
......... best... flame... I've had the priviledge... of reading ... in a very... very long time. *wipes single tear from eye* That.... was beautiful. (Oh, *snif* now look at me... I'm all emotional.) Especially the 'hunt you down like cattle and gut you' part... nice, very nice. Could I offer you a violent smilie to go along with it?
o_O care for a little flame with that sarcasm?

*would swap ten of Ruinel for one LT*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:24 PM   #163
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

back OT-

The more I think about it, the more I think that's prob. what PJs going to do. And mSauron and mAragorn will fight a bit, and we'll all get scared that mARagorn might not make it . And mSauron will throw mAragorn to the ground. And then PJ'll probably throw in a cheesy flashback of mArwen saying her little line, right when mAragorn is in the exact same position on the ground in front of Sauron as Isildur was in the prologue. And then Sauron will step on Narsil, but because he doesn't have the ring, it won't break, and Aragorn will rise up and snicker-snack! off with Sauron's head! (wonders if Sauron will have a new hand, since mIsildur cut off the whole hand, not just the finger, as the bIsildur (book Isildur) did). Then as a little aside, Frodo will pop the ring into Mt. Doom.

Well, whatever - I've rather given up on Aragorn. I'm just hoping they get the Eowyn/witchking scene right.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:01 PM   #164
Ruinel
Banned

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-15-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #165
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. A good flame is a good flame! Thanks for the swap!
You're welcome.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #166
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hey, crickhollow, remember the good old days when moderating this forum just consisted of padlocking the Legolas fangirl threads? *is nostalgic for naughty fangirls, who were so very easy to moderate*
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #167
Ruinel
Banned

I need to clarify something!!!!!!!!!!

When I said '...don't flame LT'. I meant, do not flame her!!!! See, not '...don't flame, LT.' There was no comma after flame. That was directed at someone else (BB) not to flame LT.

DO NOT BAN HER FROM THIS BOARD FOR THIS MISUNDERSTANDING!!!!

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-15-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #168
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Hey, crickhollow, remember the good old days when moderating this forum just consisted of padlocking the Legolas fangirl threads? *is nostalgic for naughty fangirls, who were so very easy to moderate*
Oh, hahahahaha! *wipes tears from eyes* I needed that -- I was just down in GM. It put things in perspective for me -- I am refreshed! Plus, a couple of the posts there made me laugh out loud HARD.

(I know you're curious as to which ones:
One was a two year old post by HOBBIT in a dredged thread, in which ben made a thoughtful post about Afghanistan and compared it to a book series, and HOBBIT says "thanks a lot ben for ruining the end of that book, I was going to read it."
The other was one by someone in the Emergency thread that said, "do you notice how even though a tornado is coming, you still have to post on the moot?" Oh, that was priceless!

Okay, I'm sorry, back on topic, now!!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:06 PM   #169
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
back OT-

The more I think about it, the more I think that's prob. what PJs going to do. And mSauron and mAragorn will fight a bit, and we'll all get scared that mARagorn might not make it . And mSauron will throw mAragorn to the ground. And then PJ'll probably throw in a cheesy flashback of mArwen saying her little line, right when mAragorn is in the exact same position on the ground in front of Sauron as Isildur was in the prologue. And then Sauron will step on Narsil, but because he doesn't have the ring, it won't break, and Aragorn will rise up and snicker-snack! off with Sauron's head! (wonders if Sauron will have a new hand, since mIsildur cut off the whole hand, not just the finger, as the bIsildur (book Isildur) did). Then as a little aside, Frodo will pop the ring into Mt. Doom.
I can see it now.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #170
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Nazgul

The part that was a bit cheesy for me was when Sauron swings his Mace (or whatever that thing was) and twenty warriors go flying to oblivion. Heck, he could've just spun around like a top for twenty minutes and eliminated the whole army! I think I'll be a little disappointed if I don't see him now! Snicker Snack!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-15-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:20 AM   #171
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yeah, Sauron looks pretty good until he moves, then he looks like he has a wedgie!! Pretty wimpy mace swing, too!

His armor was pretty cool, altho you can't see it in the movie - in one of the commentaries, they show a close-up, and it's all covered in really cool etching. I think PJ and crew did a great job in a lot of the visual details. I really appreciate little things like how the buttons have insignias, even when they're covered by outer clothing so you can't see them!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:17 AM   #172
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I didn't really like his iron crown. I will admit that this complaint is a case of PJ not envisioning things the same way as me. It just seems too big.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #173
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I can envision Sauron on the battlefield in cool-looking "Loki-like" armor when suddenly...Frodo puts on the ring and proclaims himself the Master...there is a momentary flash of "the eye" and then we see the volcano erupt, the ground begins to shake, and the Nazgul fly off to Mount Doom with high-pitched shreaks.

Gandalf cries out above the noice, "this is the moment!"

The camera follows the flight of the frantic Nazgul over the Mountains of Shadow to volcano...

[We'll skip the cracks of doom part. Once the ring is destroyed we see...]

The black gates of Mordor crumble in a spectacular special effects show as the orcs flee in all directions. Like in FOTR's prologue, Sauron explodes, only this time, instead of a white blast energy force, it is a black vapor which covers the sky in a cloud of darkness. The cloud takes the shape of giant fists shaking in anger at the forces of the West and then desolves into nothingness...
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #174
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

...with Jim Carey doing the VO of his timeless catch phrase, "Smokin'!", while all the orcs form a conga line.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:14 AM   #175
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I can envision Sauron on the battlefield in cool-looking "Loki-like" armor when suddenly...Frodo puts on the ring and proclaims himself the Master...there is a momentary flash of "the eye" and then we see the volcano erupt, the ground begins to shake, and the Nazgul fly off to Mount Doom with high-pitched shreaks.

Gandalf cries out above the noice, "this is the moment!"

The camera follows the flight of the frantic Nazgul over the Mountains of Shadow to volcano...

[We'll skip the cracks of doom part. Once the ring is destroyed we see...]

The black gates of Mordor crumble in a spectacular special effects show as the orcs flee in all directions. Like in FOTR's prologue, Sauron explodes, only this time, instead of a white blast energy force, it is a black vapor which covers the sky in a cloud of darkness. The cloud takes the shape of giant fists shaking in anger at the forces of the West and then desolves into nothingness...
i cannot make my mind up are you trying to be funny? A black fist shaking it hand at them? May as well have him say 'and i would of got away with it too if it wasnt for those pesky hobbits'
Old 05-16-2003, 10:27 AM   #176
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Um...what makes you think Loki wore armour? He was the trickster, not a war-god.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #177
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
...I think PJ and crew did a great job in a lot of the visual details. ...
I agree with you on that point. PJ employed some of the best special effects people, costume designers, metal workers, and weapons people. Not to mention the amount of work that was put into training by the actors. My problem is with the script. It was too far removed from the original story, and there were far too many damaging changes. I fear for the changes that will be made in the final movie. And it upsets me that non-Tolkien readers rely on the movie story as THE Lord of the Rings story. And it is not, it is far from the original story and falls short from Tolkien's original works.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:08 PM   #178
azalea
Long lost mooter

For some reason that doesn't really bother me. I guess I'm just happy that I know the whole story. It's probably akin to my not being dissatisfied with the movies. I don't know what the root of that is, but what I DO hope is that the movie will lead to more people being interested in reading the books.
The only thing I "worry" about (if you could really call it worrying) is that people will see the movie, then attempt to read the books, but give up because of the slower pace. But that kind of thing happened before the movie anyway, just on a smaller scale (it wasn't a movie, but usually other fans doing the prompting), like that woman who had an online journal about her experience trying to force herself through Lotr, but after she got further into the book than she ever had before, who loved it of course.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:29 PM   #179
Ruinel
Banned

Well, I know this is OFF TOPIC... but... in response to what you are saying...
I didn't have trouble with FotR until I got to Tom Bombodil. He just irritated me, still does. All that jolly old Tom singing down the path... gah! Far too light and jolly for me. I still have trouble reading through it. *notices all the glares from the Tom B. fans* oooookay.... moving on....

I never had trouble with any of the other parts of the story (LotR) and I happened to just love the Sil and UT. It was only recently (past 6 months or so) that I started getting the HoME books and reading those as well. And I never felt that The Hobbit was his best work, either. FotR and The Sil were his best works... hands down, IMO (which aint worth much).

It bothers me when people refer to the story from the movie as if they know what they're talking about. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard to hear them claim to know Tolkien's work while spouting off lines from the movie perpetuating the error. Trust me, I am no expert on Tolkien. But I do know some.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #180
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:

It bothers me when people refer to the story from the movie as if they know what they're talking about. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard to hear them claim to know Tolkien's work while spouting off lines from the movie perpetuating the error. Trust me, I am no expert on Tolkien. But I do know some.
I agree with you there, especially when they come to this board. It's quite annoying.