Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2002, 01:51 AM   #161
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I've just seen it a second time, and my opinion has changed from "I like it" to "I love it". I've had time to process the changes PJ made and accept them. Faramir and the Osgiliath scene weren't so bad. Heck, I even managed to accept Aragorn's 'death'. Helm's Deep was still awesome, even though I almost cracked up when Mr. Olympic Torch-Bearer Orc made an appearance. An amazing movie, but for me it's still not quite as good as Fellowship.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:44 AM   #162
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I just got back from seeing it a second time. I absolutely love it. It is a really great movie.

Okay, about evil Faramir. At first, I didn't particularly like how he was portrayed in the movie. But then I thought of Boromir. At first I didn't like him at all. We saw his bad side most of the time. But then after a while he grew on me. I saw his love for the hobbits, his love for Gondor, how he was only trying to help, to save his people. I think Faramir is the same way. We didn't get to see much of him, just his bad side. And in the end he lets Frodo go. That shows he is really a good person. Does any of this make any sense? Sorry if it doesn't...

Helms Deep was just awesome. I usually don't like war movies, I hate the bloood and killing, and I usually cant follow whats going on very well. But I loved Helm's Deep. It was amazing. And inspiring.

Legolas was totally awesome in this movie. And I'm not just saying that because he's hot. The whole horse jump flip thing and the skateboard sheild were totally amazing.

Gimli. Yuck. My one major complaint. He is portayed as stupid and inferior. Aragorn and Legolas are showed ans smart and wise, but Gimli almost seems stupid. I have to admit he was really funny though. The comic relief was nice, it relieved some of the depression. And I was pleased how in this movie Merry and Pippin weren't the comic relief, they were showed as serious and brave. And Gimli wasn't all bad. He had his wise moments as well.

Which movie do I like better??? In my opinion, they are equal. Its really imposssible for me to say which one I liked better, because they are the same movie, really. FOTR is just an introduction. TTT gets into it more. The plot thickens, the characters are more developed. And ROTK will be (or at least should be) the climax. So really its impossible for me to say which is better. They are the same story, and the same movie. Thats my opinion anyway.

I was going to say some more stuff but I can't think of it right now. Most of it has already been said anyway. I hope this post makes sense, because I'm not really making much sense right now...
Old 12-21-2002, 06:23 AM   #163
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Saw it a second time today (oh. yesterday, then.) and somehow came away both with both more nit-picks and liking it even more. First, going to Osgiliath: As has been said many times, it makes no sense. And the whole thing with standing in front of the Nazgul. No sense. But I did like Sam's speech, even if it was rather cheesy, it was also beautiful. I love the way it ended, considering the fact that they moved so much to the next movie. Like with Boromir, I find I like Gollum better in the movie. Maybe. Er. Evil!Faramir didn't bother too much though I wish we had seen more of his noble, good side. And no trip to Osgiliath. . .

I didn't think about the Olympic Torch thing when I first saw it but I thought that when I saw it yesterday and almost laughed. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:59 AM   #164
elendili
Elven Warrior

Special effects wow, but did Jackson even read the book????

Has Arwen gone to the havens? Where is Anduril/Narsil? Why did Galadriel send Haldir to Helm’s Deep? Why did they kill off Haldir? *Scowl* butchers. And how on Earth are they going to fit the last part of the book in one film when they’ve not even met Shelob yet? And why did Faramir take Frodo and Sam to Osillgath before letting them go?

Gollum was cute though especially when Smeagol and Gollum where arguing and I liked the Nazgul’s flying things. I liked Gimli’s lines and Legolas was CUTE. It was fun watching but it kept ticking me off that they strayed so far from the story as Tolkein wrote it, if he was still alive he’d probably strangle Peter Jackson.

OK i am a critic

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:17 PM   #165
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by elendili
Special effects wow, but did Jackson even read the book????

Has Arwen gone to the havens? Where is Anduril/Narsil? Why did Galadriel send Haldir to Helm’s Deep? Why did they kill off Haldir? *Scowl* butchers. And how on Earth are they going to fit the last part of the book in one film when they’ve not even met Shelob yet? And why did Faramir take Frodo and Sam to Osillgath before letting them go?

Gollum was cute though especially when Smeagol and Gollum where arguing and I liked the Nazgul’s flying things. I liked Gimli’s lines and Legolas was CUTE. It was fun watching but it kept ticking me off that they strayed so far from the story as Tolkein wrote it, if he was still alive he’d probably strangle Peter Jackson.

OK i am a critic
ur not a critic. Elrond wanted arwen to go to the haven in the apendecies of lord of the rins so its not too far off but she wont be doing.

Narsil isnt been reforged till return of the king think of it as a symbolic gesuture of aragorn taking kingship. Elves would seem a bit nasty not helping there neigbours and all just leaving, too little time to explain the elven remles were also under attack.

Shelob is also correct in the films they meet her during the battle of plenor feilds!
Old 12-21-2002, 12:24 PM   #166
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

OK, I've read all nine pages of this thread and I've come to the conclusion that I will NOT see this movie... It sounds like another stupid Hollywood blockbuster action spectacle. Ugh. Think I'll just re-read the book...

Thank you, all, for the thoughtful and articulate posts!

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 12-21-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #167
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Here's my review which I also posted on Took Talk

I just saw it with the first thousand or so of my countrymen in an advanced screening (we show it regularly here in january after a local film festival).

After having read all the rants and then actually seeing it, I found it utterly enjoyable and the changes forgiveable and even defendable. I think PJ wanted the characters to be believable to the regular joe; though Faramir could still be believable if left untouched, IMO.

We must remember that Tolkien wrote LOTR on the premise that it was the account of hobbits as written in the Red Book of Westmarch and that there was only one account. One could easily invent an account from the point of view of men and other races and use that as an excuse for the changes in the details. This is PJ's (and Philippa's and Fran's) account on film while the book/hobbit account was by Master JRRT.

Come january, I'll be getting 9 more tickets and saving up for the DVDs...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 02:28 PM   #168
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I LOVED it, but there were some things I didn't like.
~How they made it seem like Theoden was possessed by Saruman
~The Wargs (they looked more like hyenas to me)
~Those dreams with Arwen in them
~Faramir taking Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath
~Aragorn "dying"

But there were also things I loved.
~Gollum (for the most part, he was really cool)
~The Dead Marshes
~The Oliphaunts
~Most of the movie in general

My conclusion is that this movie wasn't quite as good as the "Fellowhip", but it was GREAT, and it deserves WAY more than two stars. Stupid critics.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:20 PM   #169
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Narsil isnt been reforged till return of the king think of it as a symbolic gesuture of aragorn taking kingship.
Thats what I dont like..they changed all the characters too much. it would have been nice to see a *little* hesitation when Hama tells them to give up their weapons.(like in the book he refuses at first) So all of a sudden in RoTK the movie, Aragorn will finally and suddenly realize his destiny as king?
It would be better to see at least a slow arc of him realizing it.
Im just wondering how their gonna do RoTK in general. (alot less optimism than TT tho )
~ Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:20 PM   #170
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm also going to make a prediction about Arwen: I don't think she is on her way to the Havens. I think she's on her way to Gondor w/ the banner. Perhaps by way of Lothlorien. If she IS on her way to the Havens, I guess there'll be some kind of scene where she's about to get on the boat, and then changes her mind at the last minute. But I think it's the other way.

I need to see it again, but when the elves showed up, there was one thing that confused me: Did Haldir say "Here is a contigency of elves from Rivendell"? If so, does that mean he was sent from Lorien to get them? Or was it elves from both realms? I just thought he only said Rivendell, but he is from Lothlorien, so it confused me a little.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #171
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Very good-as an epic movie. That's the trick-it's an epic movie-not a visul reflection of LOTR. I agree that FOTR was probably at a "higher" level, as action, not character, was the focus of this film. I think Jackson could have done far better, his interpertation could be seen as a disservice-because of what it could be and isn't, but Jackson is aiming for the average person not a dedicated Tolkien fan, and he succeeded in creating a solid movie.

His goal is to make money and to entertain and he did both.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:31 PM   #172
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gandalf Gandalf is a great way to start!

I savored a big glass of wine after the movie. Boy, talk about needing a drink!! . I thoroughly enjoyed it all. I had been "spoiled" so much, nothing surprised me unpleasantly, I was prepared! I do have a "tension" headache, after the booze, some ibuprofren (sorry liver)!

My only complaints, all the great stuff happened WAY TOO FAST! (I liked the pace of FoTR much better) That's just the way it is though. I didn't care for all the "Gimli the Silly Goose" stuff. People in the theater certainly laughed, it was all funny, and a bit of relief..........but I think of Gimli as a fearless, fell, dwarven warrior, and I do not think he is a silly goose.

Oh well! I can't wait to own this! I don't like the theater, it is WAY TOO LOUD. I also think I will enjoy this more when I am able to pause it and take breaks. My eyes are bleary! WELL DONE!!! I'm so glad the wait is over!

(I feel like I've been yelled at for the last three hours, theaters...ugh!)

Last edited by Lizra : 12-21-2002 at 05:39 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 06:02 PM   #173
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Re: Gandalf is a great way to start!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

(I feel like I've been yelled at for the last three hours, theaters...ugh!)
I was prepared with tissues to plug my ears. I was much better off.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 06:12 PM   #174
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I cursed myself when I realized I had forgotten ear protection in my excitement to "get there"! You were wise Cirdan!
Old 12-21-2002, 06:29 PM   #175
Kalimac
Enting

>> didn't think about the Olympic Torch thing when I first saw it<<

Here's a bit of trivia . . I am sure that the Olympic Torch carrying orc is PJ's homage to the fact that he was selected to carry the Olympic Torch a few years ago (during the making of the film). Here's a picture of him in Wellington, NZ with the torch.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/image...973c8655f.jpeg
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 06:34 PM   #176
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Olympic torch carrying orc! I thought he was just the guy who had to light the explosives! Pity the fool! (Ha!)
Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 PM   #177
Ethereal
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalimac
Here's a bit of trivia . . I am sure that the Olympic Torch carrying orc is PJ's homage to the fact that he was selected to carry the Olympic Torch a few years ago (during the making of the film). Here's a picture of him in Wellington, NZ with the torch.
that's so cool! i didn't know he was selected to carry the olympic torch! thanks for that little tid bit of info.

also, i thought of the olympic torch when i saw the helm's deep orc scene too!!!!!!!!! honestly, as soon as i saw the orc running w/ the torch i turned to my friend and said 'wow, they got an orc to carry the olympic torch this year". it's really cool to know that a TON of other people thought the same thing!!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:54 PM   #178
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie!

I just got home from seeing LOTR TTT for the second time. I thought it was great the first time I saw it. (I was a bit angry and annoyed with the whole elves at Helms Deep, and Faramir being so cruel thing though...) The second time I saw it though, I was quite bored in some parrts. Like when Merry and Pippen are talking to the ents. (Which was done very well by the way. Although I don't think Peter Jackson quite got the point that they were 'not a hasty folk' across very well. He totally kills that message when lots of ents show up after 10 seconds when Treebeard finds some of his tree friends were burned down.) The music was great, in my opinion. I especialy like the music when Eowyn is wearing her white dress and storms out of the castle. When she sees Aragorn and Gimili and Legolas and Gandalf approaching.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan

Last edited by eowyngirl14 : 12-22-2002 at 01:18 PM.
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 09:59 PM   #179
Caleb
Hobbit

Did no one notice they left out the entire part where Gandalf, Theoden, Aragorn ect. went to Isenguard and Sarumans staff was broken. Pippin never looked into the Palintir. And if all this is pushed into the Return of the king then they'll have to cut out the scouring of the shire or else it will be about five hours long.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:12 PM   #180
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

They are going to cut out the couring of the shire. Or at least, I'm pretty sure thats what I heard...