Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
No, I do not run moonshine
I don't know if I believ that one . . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to like my state more when they weren't building up subdivisions evrywhere.

I HATE IT

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #163
Case Sensitive
Sapling

Germany

As seen as no-one here has mentioned Germany I thought I'd mention it. Apologies if my English is not good (I studied English in America), bear with me!

We are the Federal Republic of Germany, so each of the 16 states can govern itself to a point. I was born in Schleswig-Holstein, a state in the extreme north of Germany. More specifically a city named Lübeck- quite near the Danish border.

We Germans are notoriously efficient- we have a word-class health service (the British NHS is just laughed off the scale over here)- the Polizei (German police force) are again one of the world's best- like American police they are heavily armed- and with their imposing dark uniforms they make quite an impression. Our anti-terrorism squad, GSG-9 is one of the best. The Bundeswahr Mountain School is the world's hardest Military Training School (the SAS consider Bundeswahr graduates the ace of aces).

His Imperial Majesty Kaiser (Emperor) Wilhelm II (who was not a war criminal damn it abdicated in 1919 with Crown Prince Wilhelm. Fortunately, the aristocracy (for Americans- it means titled nobility) which I am a member of, was not abolished as it was in Austria. We nobles may still continue to use our titles and pass them on even in the absence of our Emperor.

More later. Any questions?

We Germans fear God and nothing else in the whole World.
Case Sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #164
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Case Sensitive
The Bundeswahr Mountain School is the world's hardest Military Training School (the SAS consider Bundeswahr graduates the ace of aces).
i bet they dont!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:44 PM   #165
Case Sensitive
Sapling

It's called professional respect. Of course, behind our backs its all kraut jokes ( )

We Germans fear God and nothing else in the whole World.
Case Sensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:50 PM   #166
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
It's called professional respect. Of course, behind our backs its all kraut jokes ( )
hmmmm yes ermm maybe

dont worry the NHS is laughed at over here an all
Old 05-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #167
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:

how about a piece from your GOOd history? I know Hitler, but thats about it.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #168
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm glad someone's mentioned Germany - my favourite country apart from Britain!

Quote:
His Imperial Majesty Kaiser (Emperor) Wilhelm II (who was not a war criminal damn it abdicated in 1919 with Crown Prince Wilhelm. Fortunately, the aristocracy (for Americans- it means titled nobility) which I am a member of, was not abolished as it was in Austria. We nobles may still continue to use our titles and pass them on even in the absence of our Emperor.
So what is your title?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:41 PM   #169
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Eärniel, you're Belgian!
Last year I made a trip to Brussels with school and that was the best trip I've ever made. I loved the city and it's people.
I'm glad you like it. What did you visit in Brussel? Personally I've only been in Brussel a few times in my life. Antwerp is closer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Yes. What do you eat other than frites? We have this Belgian Beer Cafe down the road which serves up lots of waffles, frites, mussels, and beer: is this an accurate representation of your food, or does it mock you all?

PS - I'm asking because my BF wants to know, so blame him for the dumb question.
It's an accurate representation of SOME part of our diet. It's definately not all what we live on. But those are some of rather more typical Belgian dishes and that's probably why they are served in that Belgian Beer Cafe.

Mussels are often eaten with fries, it's a rather seasonal dish, I seem to remember (can't stand the slimy buggers myself) and it's eaten most of the time near the coast (or at least I always associated them with it) though they can be found in any city and any place that draws tourists, foreign or native.

Waffles are not really an every day meal, it's more like a treat or a snack. Waffles from Brussels (Brusselse wafels) are soooooo jummy..... With some sugar. Mmmm.... *dreamy look*I love them! Not as much as I love chocolate because good waffles are in my opinion rather scarce and chocolate is plentyful. Although I did find a awesome waffle-stall not far from school. When I have a long break it's so difficult not going out and getting one. Fresh, newly baked warm waffles....Mmm... But I'm digressing, no?

Belgium has several good beers (I know from a good source, I don't drink alcohol myself) but most people I know only drink it on a night out or a special occasion. Belgians drink plenty of others drinks too, coffee, thee, soda's wine, water, etc... the usual I think.

Apart from a few local dishes, I think Belgians eat pretty much the same as the other western European countries.

EDIT: edited some typing errors.

Last edited by Earniel : 05-05-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #170
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I'm glad you like it. What did you visit in Brussel? Personally I've only been in Brussel a few times in my life. Antwerp is closer.
I mostly went sightseeing in Brussels and didn't really visit anything special, except the EU parliament.
I spent one day in Antwerpen too, though it was raining heavily and I didn't get to see much of the city.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:55 PM   #171
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Austria

What could I say about that country?
Beautiful landscape, indeed.
But people seem to be a little bit too right (political) and Austria is altogether too german-dependent.
A hit in Germany, a hit here too.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #172
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Fortunately, the aristocracy (for Americans- it means titled nobility) which I am a member of, was not abolished as it was in Austria.
I'm an American, and I've what that means since I was so high!

You're an aristocrat? Wow, that's fascinating! If it's all right with you, I'd be interested in knowing your title, too.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:32 PM   #173
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

me too.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:13 PM   #174
Ruinel
Banned

Duke Moron of Germany

Quote:
...Fortunately, the aristocracy (for Americans- it means titled nobility) which I am a member of, was not abolished as it was in Austria. We nobles may still continue to use our titles and pass them on even in the absence of our Emperor....
I happen to like Germany. I visited a few years back. Great beer, wonderful people (until I read your post), and lovely country. Don't change my opinion of the German people. Got it?
I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (inbred)... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame...(moron)...I will not flame... I will not flame...I will not flame... I will not flame... (get)... I will not flame... I will not flame... (a)... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (real)... I will not flame... I will not flame... (life)...I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame.... (don't)...I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (waste)... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (valuable)...I will not flame... (thread)...I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (space)...I will not flame... I will not flame... (with your)...I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... (dribble)...I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame... I will not flame....
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #175
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Creative, Ruinel. Creative.

I like Germany too, I've visited it several times. Germans are nice and helpful people.

Case Sensitive, your post is more like a parody than anything else. Meaning no offence.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:51 PM   #176
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
As seen as no-one here has mentioned Germany I thought I'd mention it. Apologies if my English is not good (I studied English in America), bear with me!

We are the Federal Republic of Germany, so each of the 16 states can govern itself to a point. I was born in Schleswig-Holstein, a state in the extreme north of Germany. More specifically a city named Lübeck- quite near the Danish border.

We Germans are notoriously efficient- we have a word-class health service (the British NHS is just laughed off the scale over here)- the Polizei (German police force) are again one of the world's best- like American police they are heavily armed- and with their imposing dark uniforms they make quite an impression. Our anti-terrorism squad, GSG-9 is one of the best. The Bundeswahr Mountain School is the world's hardest Military Training School (the SAS consider Bundeswahr graduates the ace of aces).

Nothing like a bit of national pride eh?

I'd like to visit Germany again (I've only visited once, and I was only 4/5 yrs old then).

I've met lots of really nice German folks.........my home village did an exchange with German families (like an international temp house swap) every year while I was growing up . So I got to know quite a few Germans very well.............lovely folks, for the most part.

You're nobility? That's interesting, I'm supposed to use the title esquire after my name instead of putting Mr (it's nothing flash, one of my ancestors was prolly trodden on by Alfred the Greats horse or summit).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:34 PM   #177
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Creative, Ruinel. Creative. ...
Well, you know I'm trying really hard, here.
Quote:
...Case Sensitive, your post is more like a parody than anything else. Meaning no offence.
Oh, wow... yes, Case Sensitive, let me make myself perfectly clear: {edit by me: ******************** . This is the year 2003. No one gives a hacca nyarron ***********.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************, be welcome. ************************************************** ************. All we wanted to know about was your "country." *****

*shifts eyes and hopes Admin didn't see the post before the edit.*

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-05-2003 at 07:24 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:43 PM   #178
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Ruinel - I didn't mind the mention of his "title" - if he really has one. It was the first line of his post that annoyed me. I guess he's implying that Americans can't speak English and since he studied English here - that's why his English might be crap.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM   #179
LadyGreenleaf22
Hobbit

HI!

Hey, I'm here in the U.S.A. Non-Americans, how do you view America? Just asking for opinions...

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"
LadyGreenleaf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:50 PM   #180
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Re: HI!

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyGreenleaf22
Hey, I'm here in the U.S.A. Non-Americans, how do you view America? Just asking for opinions...
That's a loaded question. You might want to check out this thread from almost a year ago...anti american sentiments

or this one which is even older, whihc is from November 2000 ...What has America become?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-05-2003 at 08:53 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote