Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #161
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
Not one of my best efforts, but I wanted to use the subject somehow...then I got tired trying to make it interesting - so you guys can just have it as it is...

My first move was to remove, This affected the fates of many.
For my next feat I kept the mouths of the south at bay.
Finally I gave refuge, before I was swept far away.

Good luck, riddlers!
I'm stumped on this one too. It sounds like some of Gondor's rulers to me (removed the capital, "mouths" of the Harad, gave refuge to the people of Rohan, lost at sea), but not just one in particular who did all of this.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #162
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Not one of my best efforts, but I wanted to use the subject somehow...then I got tired trying to make it interesting - so you guys can just have it as it is...

My first move was to remove, This affected the fates of many.
For my next feat I kept the mouths of the south at bay.
Finally I gave refuge, before I was swept far away.

Good luck, riddlers!
Tagging onto what Thurin had said, I wondered about the (5) Ship-Kings. But I wasn't sure that all the pieces fit.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #163
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
I am going to guess Gandalf. He was known to be constantly moving and could have been described by Tolkien as a "Great light".
No, and for the same reason as the previous guess. I'm playing off of what Tolkien usually uses light to signify (good), and using it to signify something not necessarily good.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #164
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
No, and for the same reason as the previous guess. I'm playing off of what Tolkien usually uses light to signify (good), and using it to signify something not necessarily good.
Hmmm....How about the Eye of Sauron, then?
It was constantly moving, was certainly "not necessarily good" but could still be compared to a "light", and was physically "round" too (or so I assume).
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #165
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hmmm....How about the Eye of Sauron, then?
It was constantly moving, was certainly "not necessarily good" but could still be compared to a "light", and was physically "round" too (or so I assume).
You got it! Great riddling!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #166
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
This sounds like it has something to do with water - mouths could refer to river mouths. Swept away could be a water thing as well.

I'll need a clue before I could even hazard a guess.
Water is a good place to begin in solving this poor riddle.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #167
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm stumped on this one too. It sounds like some of Gondor's rulers to me (removed the capital, "mouths" of the Harad, gave refuge to the people of Rohan, lost at sea), but not just one in particular who did all of this.
It would be best for both you and Val to sail over and embrace Wil's water concept. Also, this is a First Age riddle. That should help narrow things down a bit.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #168
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

This is tough... I may be forcing my answer to fit the clues. This is the same answer I gave re EllethValatari's Eye of Sauron riddle so maybe I'm stuck on this answer but here goes...

Earendil

His first move was to be removed from Gondolin after it was sacked. He sought refuge at the Mouths of the Sirion in South Beleriand.

He was ultimately swept away on Vingilot in to the heavens to become the Evening Star.

As far as the additional clues go... Definitely a first age story and you did work in the word "Sail" - Earendil was a mariner.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 06-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #169
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
This is tough... I may be forcing my answer to fit the clues. This is the same answer I gave re EllethValatari's Eye of Sauron riddle so maybe I'm stuck on this answer but here goes...

Earendil

His first move was to be removed from Gondolin after it was sacked. He sought refuge at the Mouths of the Sirion in South Beleriand.

He was ultimately swept away on Vingilot in to the heavens to become the Evening Star.

As far as the additional clues go... Definitely a first age story and you did work in the word "Sail" - Earendil was a mariner.

It is not Earendil, although he would have been intimately, and personally familiar with the answer that I seek. Nice argument on trying to fit the clues, despite the fact it is incorrect. Please try again.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #170
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

I'm stumped. I can't even figure out if it's a person, place or thing that you're looking for.

Are you willing to provide additional clues?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #171
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm stumped. I can't even figure out if it's a person, place or thing that you're looking for.

Are you willing to provide additional clues?
Well, it's not your fault that I posted such an unrefined, and poorly written riddle. In the meantime it would probably be helpful to look for the solution on a map of Beleriand.

I promise to write a better riddle next time. Thanks for guessing along.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #172
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well, it's not your fault that I posted such an unrefined, and poorly written riddle. In the meantime it would probably be helpful to look for the solution on a map of Beleriand.

I promise to write a better riddle next time. Thanks for guessing along.
I had a hunch that it was something geographical but chose to ignore my own inkling. I briefly thought the answer might be Beleriand itself. It's not a poorly written riddle I just couldn't identify a solid thing to grab hold of.

Still a long guess but...

The Isle of Balar

It was reputed to be a piece of the larger Tol Eressëa that was REMOVED when Ulmo pulled the rest of the island away.

It was in the bay of Balar near to the moth of the Sirion (moths of the south at bay)

It received the refuges from the Havens (gave refuge) and it slipped under the sea some time after the first age (swept away)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #173
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
I had a hunch that it was something geographical but chose to ignore my own inkling. I briefly thought the answer might be Beleriand itself. It's not a poorly written riddle I just couldn't identify a solid thing to grab hold of.

Still a long guess but...

The Isle of Balar

It was reputed to be a piece of the larger Tol Eressëa that was REMOVED when Ulmo pulled the rest of the island away.

It was in the bay of Balar near to the moth of the Sirion (moths of the south at bay)

It received the refuges from the Havens (gave refuge) and it slipped under the sea some time after the first age (swept away)
Yes, Balar is correct. I had always thought that it would be a great subject for a riddle. A moving island... That's pretty cool.

Also, it should be noted that the isle removed the Light Elves from Middle Earth and brought them to Valinor.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #174
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

*raises the Riddling Thread from the depths of the Middle Earth forum

Anyone have a new riddle? I'd make one up myself but it's 2 am here and I'm sure it would be horrid...
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #175
Keith K
Elf Lord

Here's a riddle:

Seventh of seven, hallowed and holy.
Tallest of all, the rest are more lowly.

A light to unite, where once were old bones.
Now long removed from under the stones.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #176
Midge
Faithful Gardener

It's not Elendil? I'm not well-versed on my Ancient stuff, but that Tallest of all part makes me think of him.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #177
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Elendil is a good guess - I can see how it would fit in many ways.

I know that Keith will be looking for explanations for your solution.

I heartily encourage you to fill these in.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 06-24-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #178
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
It's not Elendil? I'm not well-versed on my Ancient stuff, but that Tallest of all part makes me think of him.
Hello Midge, it's nice to see you here in the Riddling thread again!

While the solution is not Elendil, it is definitely a Dunedain riddle, what with the sevens and all.

Also, always remember, ...you must be prepared to fit all of the clues to officially solve a Keith K riddle.

Greetings to you as well, Wilhelm! I concur with your comment.

Last edited by Keith K : 06-24-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: cross posting
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #179
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

If Midge hadn't guessed Elendil I'm not sure I would have thought of my guess. If I'm right the credit goes to Midge.

I think the answer is Elendil's tomb! Amon Anwar. The 7th and tallest of the beacon hills, hallowed and holy as it contained the remains
of Elendil. It is the place where the alliance between Gondor and Rohan was formed (light to unite). Elendil's remains (old bones) were moved to Minas Tirith.

And greetings to you Keith. Another excellent riddle I might add.

I'm glad to see this thread has started up again.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 06-24-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #180
Keith K
Elf Lord

Well dang. You edited your original comment which I was witness to. Anyway, you solved the riddle in the course of your edit! Congratulations, You have found the solution!

It is also known as Halfirien, sacred to the Rohirrim as the site of the Oath. For it was to Amon Anwar, the Hill of Awe, that Eorl the Young was taken by Cirion, Steward of Gondor to swear the Oath. That place was the burial site of Elendil.

It was chosen by Isildur, High King of the Dunedain, for its more or less central location in the Kingdom of that people, and was a hallowed site that only the Kings (and those who accompanied them) were wont to tread.

The bones of Elendil, the last Lord of Andúnië, were later removed to Minas Tirith, and eventually Halfirien was defended as part of Rohan, even though it technically belonged to Gondor.

Well done, Wil.