Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #161
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Wow, Tessar, you could be a sopranist! That's so cool! Even if you don't choose to, the very fact that you could makes me so envious. I can't even sing! But that's really awesome.

What is also awesome is that I will be spending the weekend in San Francisco! Woohoo! Love that city!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
That's awesome, gwai, I LOVED SF when I was there.
I know. I want Gwai's travel agent.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 01-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #162
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Gwai... WHY DO YOU GET TO GO AROUND THE WORLD SO MUCH?! O.o whyyyyy?!!?! It isn't fair .

Kidding, of course, and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Quote:
Wow, Tessar, you could be a sopranist! That's so cool! Even if you don't choose to, the very fact that you could makes me so envious.
Thanks . I have to admit, if I could have done this before starting college... I think I would've set out to become a sopranist. I honestly adore the soprano rep. for classical music, and think it's just gorgeous. I also love the sound of a falsettist.

I think I'll keep training it some, and I'm going to work on making my whistle register more consistent. I think it might have some pretty kick ass use when/if I manage to get into pop/jazz singing more. Can you imagine being able to do a descending 'skat slide' that started in whistle register? Even just doing one would really sound pretty cool, I think... although it could certainly be over used.

Honestly I love a lot of classical music, but... hm. The more I study it, the more I feel called to sing... but not to sing classical music. We'll see what happens. This semester I'm going to pick out a musical theater piece to sing (assuming I have time given the 8 other pieces I have to learn, plus magic flute chorus, plus memorizing seven choir pieces, plus a duet I'm dying to do with my best friend). I might try to make it something really jazzy that I can play with.

And to make this valid... I am really happy because I was just out at a jazz bar my friends were jamming at, and it was fantastic. I loved it, and I felt really comfortable being there and being with my friends... as opposed to when I went to that club and felt miserable.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #163
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Would be cool to travel around the US at some point..

Anyway, as I'm not going to do that now, I'm happy enough to go to visit my sister this weekend: eastern Finland is gorgeous. Getting out of the city is always good, too.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 AM   #164
Nerdanel

This makes me happy:
Papal visit scuppered by scholars

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #165
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I share your happyness....
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #166
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

lol.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #167
Mari
Elf Lady

I just read this:
Quote:
A while ago I started to notice that there are people who complain about nothing and everything. Usually about things of no consequence such as the weather, their husbands or wives, the drivingskills of others. I noticed that I as well practice this negative behaviour. But we have it so well here! We only have to watch the news to know how lucky and fortunate we are. We all have enough food and a place to live.
Because of all of this I have a suggestion for all of us who are often (too) negative: every morning, before starting your day, think of five positive things in your life. You'll see that the not so nice things will become less important and that you'll be happier. I've been doing this for a few months now and I became a happier person.
(My translation)
I read this in a Zen book once as well. I thought that perhaps it might help some people? You can also do this to boost your selfimage: just think of 5 good things about yourself every morning. Or adapt this for whatever you need.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #168
katya
Elven Maiden

I've been doing just that sort of thing the past week or so, Mari. I don't complain a lot, but I do get depressed and bummed out over stupid things. I've been trying to write about all the really good things I've got going on in my journal along with anything else I want to write. It helps, I think.

Anyway, I am really happy because I just took my first Calculus test of the semester (there's an hour-long exam ever week!) and it didn't go badly at all! At least, I answered every question with an answer that sounded correct to me, and I double checked everything a few times really carefully. That means it will be at least ok, if not good. Most of the quizzes I've taken in pre-calc were "I answered most of the questions... I think some of them might've been rights..." haha
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #169
Mari
Elf Lady

I just registered for classes! I have two boring but useful/mandatory classes, one that I like but will give me a lot of homework and another two that I really wanted to take. That means I can fail or drop two classes and still graduate.
At least it looks like I'll have enough time to work on my final thesis for at least one whole day every week. Only 2 months left untill first submission...

Last edited by Mari : 01-18-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: weird English
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #170
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Compared to 95% of the events over the period of the last 2 years, the events of the First Age would make me very very happy.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #171
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Happy - my first attempt at making Matzah-ball soup went well

(well, I used a mix for the Matzah balls and soup base, then I cooked and added fresh carrots, celery and onions)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #172
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Went to a party for a musical fraternity that I'm considering trying to join, and it was totally fun. At this point I'm in the process of joining, but... ergh. It sounds like a ton of pointless work just to be a member. Don't get me wrong, the guys are almost all fantastic and I'd love to be a member, but... blech. I don't know, I need to think about it. I still have a while before I know if they even 'pin' me to join. Sounds at this point like they will, though. But I certainly don't know for sure .

Still, the party was great fun. They're good guys, and not the kind of people who would get me into trouble. Or at least not the kind of trouble that can't be worked out . And I'm dedicated to school first, party second, so... not having too much trouble balancing that yet, although I've already been out a couple of times.

I'm also happy because I think I've decided on my new voice teacher for next semester, assuming it works out. He's a really great, really laid back kind of guy. All of his students sound really good, and they all like him.

Last edited by Tessar : 01-19-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #173
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I lost my voice the other day, and it's still really shaky and just randomly catches and cracks while I'm trying to sing, but I went to an Alexander Technique group session last night, had a private lesson this morning, and then another group session this afternoon.

It was totally amazing. I learned so much about the way I tend to move/stand/hold myself when I'm singing. Like how I open my jaw--apparently every single time I open my mouth to start singing, I tilt my head back instead of dropping my jaw down. How weird!

Plus I've always had this thing where I tend to feel a little winded all of the time unless I physically lift my shoulders when I breath. But she taught me how to kind of... lift and tilt my rib cage so that now I get a nice, full breath every time I breath. It's really nice, and it's still sticking with me a couple of hours later without having to focus on it too much.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 AM   #174
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I got a job promotion yesterday! Managers called me, and offered me the Senior Geospatial Analyst role, which comes with an 8k pay-rise. Yay!

Also, my cat apparently likes hot salami. Silly dope.

Ooh, and I've lost 1kg already on my new dietary plan (over the last week). Woohoo!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #175
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

GOOD GOD!!!!! YOU'VE LOST A KEG OF WEIGHT?!!??!?!? O.o

My GOD you must be SKINNEH now. Going to have trouble keeping up all those pants you've stolen now that you're all slender and willowy, eh?

And what about that keg of weight? How are we going to have chugging parties now without one? Eh? EH?!!?!?

... I have no sense of humor.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #176
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nope. Now go shaveth thyself up a bit already.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #177
Mari
Elf Lady

Congratulations on the promotion! Yay! We'll just have to have a biological party then! Lots of carrots and celery. I picked up a few nice recepees for dipsauce, all low fat.

Last edited by Mari : 01-22-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #178
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yay for promotion and yay for pay-rise, BoP! How many pants fit in a 8k pay-rise?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #179
Nerdanel

Fondue-evening with the research group.. This ought to be good.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #180
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I was going to try to go to school this morning, but my mom saw me and told me to go back to bed. I just got up again, and I still feel pretty rotten, but OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG MY VOICE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not all of it, but at least the middle and bottom of my chest voice are back--haven't tried head voice (no energy), and the bottom/middle of my falsetto although the top is still gone. I'm still coughing some, so I'm sure it'll all come back in a few days once this cough goes away. The cough is a little better... it's not as painful as before.

I'm going to go to school to attend choir in a bit... then I'll just come home. Thank GOD Tuesday and Thursday are my light days. Gives me more time to recover.

There are potential bass solos on the line, and I -want- one . So I'd better be at choir to get my music and at least sit quietly in a corner and attempt to not infect people. Wish me luck.
Closed Thread