FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2004, 04:06 AM   #161
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

So... even Norway and NZ are before us in the medal ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
I also feel more connected to the USA team athletes more than say, the Yankees or any popular pro sports team here. Call me crazy, but I think of it as being more like supporting your School's team - Supporting your Nation's team
Yes, I think I feel the same. But for the Spanish team, of course

Quote:
i'm not sure if basketball has any world championships - if not, then maybe it does belong. But certainly Tennis does not! They have their own world chamionships and it is just the same people, right? If this applies to other sports, then I am just not ( and probably many people) really made aware of them.
But an Olimpic Medal is something very important and special. Many tennis/basket players would like to have that special medal that is a bit over the money it reports
Old 08-21-2004, 04:46 AM   #162
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

yes, i suppose that there is that allure of the olympic gold. however, then why arent other sports such as golf there?

its just my humble opinion that the olympics shouuld be about all these sports that we almost never see in the states. way way way over saturated with baseball, basketball, and football.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #163
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
A lot of the athelets are or are around my age. I also feel more connected to the USA team athletes more than say, the Yankees or any popular pro sports team here.
Don't most people feel this way?

Quote:
I personally don't think that Basketball, Baseball (is that in it, I don't remember seeing it) and boxing, tennis should be in the olympics because they are way too common here and they both have their competitions and finals - tennis having many world championships that all get great coverage.
I think it's a matter of course that popular sports like those you mentioned should be in the Olympics. You want to gather as many sports as possible at the same place and therefore it would just be ridiculous to leave out the most appreciated sports.
Besides, not all sports are equally popular in other countries - here we never get to see any baseball for instance, except during the Olympics.

Quote:
i'm not sure if basketball has any world championships - if not, then maybe it does belong. But certainly Tennis does not! They have their own world chamionships and it is just the same people, right? If this applies to other sports, then I am just not ( and probably many people) really made aware of them.
Oh, basketball has its own world championships. Of course it does. Last time, in 2002, the US got to arrange the championships in Indianapolis. How could you miss that, Hobbit?
Though it didn't go too well for the Dream Team I'm afraid

When it comes to tennis, there are no official world championships.

Quote:
its just my humble opinion that the olympics shouuld be about all these sports that we almost never see in the states. way way way over saturated with baseball, basketball, and football.
Then just don't watch those sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
Jon, I missed the football game. Did Sweden win?
I know the US team won today against Japan. yay!
Yeah, Sweden beat Australia. The Swedes were very good in the first half but in the second, the Aussies started to become scary... But we won and now we'll face Brazil in the semi finals while the US plays against Germany. I would really love if Sweden and Germany made it to the final. In both the women's world cup and in the european cup, the Germans beat the Swedes in the finals so this time we want revenge

And Lin - it's Klüft, Klüft! And she's currently in the lead, it's hard to see how anyone could stop her from winning the gold now

South African Jacques Freitag didn't make it to the finals in the men's high jump. That means Swedish Stefan Holm is even more likely to win the gold, since Freitag was his worst rival.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-21-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #164
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
So... even Norway and NZ are before us in the medal ranking
Yeah! Olaf Tufte won the gold medal in singlesculler! Hooray!!

Yes Jon, Carolina Klüft is bound to win.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-21-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:51 PM   #165
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Yay! Which team? There are 3, one women's team and two men's. One of the men is a real hotspur. He almost got himself expelled from the court in one of his matches. Did you see that?
I only saw the women's match. Missed the men's matches (darn real life! ) Missed all the stuff last night - we went to a Dodger game (baseball).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:57 PM   #166
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Yay! We finally pulled something! A gold in the woman's double sculls (2000m) by the Swindell twins. (current world champions, and unbeaten since 2001.)
Congrats kiwis! That rowing is exciting!

Apparently the S. Koreans are protesting Paul Hamm's gold medal in gymnastics. They said the bronze medal winner's (a S. Korean) vault was incorrectly judged - the starting value was a tenth lower than it should have been, and if it had been correct, the S. Korean would have won gold.

What do you do in a situation like that? So far, they've said "sorry, but it's over".

Frankly, I think the real trajedy in men's gymnastics was when Blaine Wilson and another US guy were informed, TWO DAYS before it started, that a skill they've been doing on the highbar was now mysteriously somehow going to be scored lower, so they had to change their routine TWO DAYS before the competition started (and they typically practice their Olympic routines for a full YEAR) if they wanted to have a chance at all-around. And they both blew their routines (not a big surprise! you just can't change a routine in two days that you've practiced for a year!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 08-21-2004, 05:23 PM   #167
Jonathan

Sweden got its first medals today! We won a bronze in women's sailing to begin with and not surprisingly, Carolina Klüft won BIG in the women's heptathlon. She had as many as 500 points more than the silver medallist and that's just super! Now she has won about everything there is to win; the Junior World Championships, the European Championships, the World Championships and today the Olympics. She's only 21
Klüft is the third Swede in 50 years to win an Olympic gold in athletics but tomorrow I hope to see a fourth and a fifth Swede as well

We didn't win a single medal in swimming though, which kind of sucked
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-22-2004 at 03:52 PM. Reason: got some facts wrong
Old 08-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #168
Janny
The Blobbit

Man! Is Lithuania bigger or smaller than Lichenstein?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:38 PM   #169
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
however, then why arent other sports such as golf there?
Well *dons anorak* golf actually was an Olympic sport. It was made an Olympic for one games, but due to difficulties the competition wasn't held, and it later was removed from the list of Olympic sports. Indeed, it is the only Olympic sport not to ever have been played at the Olympics.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #170
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Man! Is Lithuania bigger or smaller than Lichenstein?
What? Are you asking because the Lithuanians beat the US Dream Team in basketball? . I had a feeling they would, the Lithuanians are good at that sport.
Btw, Lithuania is many times bigger than Liechtenstein

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-21-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:46 PM   #171
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yeah, Lithuania is great in basketball. The US apparently isn't. They still have a good chance to continue if they win the next match. The player who was best to Lithuania, that has a big name (Saronas Jankivitius?) is playing in Israel, Tel Aviv. We took wit hhim the Euroleague. He's a great player...

Phelps got 6 gold and 2 bronze then. And Australia won the 4x100 meters women... I think both breaking the world record!

Congrats to Kluft, Jon! It seemed like it was obvious she's going to win.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #172
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Yeah, Sweden beat Australia. The Swedes were very good in the first half but in the second, the Aussies started to become scary... But we won and now we'll face Brazil in the semi finals while the US plays against Germany. I would really love if Sweden and Germany made it to the final. In both the women's world cup and in the european cup, the Germans beat the Swedes in the finals so this time we want revenge
haha yes I can see why you want revenge , but then the US would have to lose to them and I'd hate to see the Germans win over the Americans ...but we'll have to see....may the best US...ahem..team win
and congrats on the Sweden win

Congrats to the NZ medal and to teh Aussie's women relay!

Rian, I heard about the Hamm contradiction. Can you believe it? I was shocked! Oooo I'd hate to see them take the medal away from him.
But I hadn't heard about the change in Blaine Wilson's routine. I was wondering why he didn't compete in the all around. But that's upsetting too. How can the judges make a change like that in the middle of the Olympics? That's unfair.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com

Last edited by Elvengirl : 08-21-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #173
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Phelps got 6 gold and 2 bronze then.
Yay!

That was gracious of him for giving up his spot to the other American.

But why did he get a medal if he didn't race? I know he raced in the preliminaries, so they gave him one because of his part in it?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com

Last edited by Elvengirl : 08-21-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:20 PM   #174
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
But I hadn't heard about the change in Blaine Wilson's routine. I was wondering why he didn't compete in the all around. But that's upsetting too. How can the judges make a change like that in the middle of the Olympics? That's unfair.
Yeah, that one blew me away, it seemed so unfair. This particular thing had a certain score for a long time, then 2 days before the Olympics started, it was lowered?!?!

Yes, Phelps gets a medal because he was in the prelims - anyone in the prelims for this race gets a medal, too.

Congrats to Sweden and Klüft!

Last edited by Rían : 08-21-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:27 AM   #175
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Congratulations to the Iraqi soccer team for beating us 1-0. Next they're playing Paraguay in for a place in the quarter finals, best of luck to them!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #176
Janny
The Blobbit

Congrats to the British coxless fours! Mr Pinsent's fourth gold!

(And well done to the US 8s, that was the one you guys desperately wanted. )

Old 08-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #177
Rían

That was nice, Lin

Old 08-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #178
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

What was nice, RÃ*an, me wishing them luck? Well, it was on behalf of the Australian nation. We have plenty of medals and Iraqis deserve some, plain and simple. We're disappointed but can't begrudge them that.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #179
Mercutio

In the Paul Hamm issue, by Olympic rules the S. Korean's had to dispute the score before the immediate competition was over. They had their chance and didn't take it, so most likely nothing will happen.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #180
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Here is an article about the Hamm thing no msnbc.com

Hamm’s gold result of scoring error, federation rules - Judges suspended, but results won't be

The South Koreans claim that they did protest during the event but were told to write a protest letter. How can that be proven?

So far, it seems like the results won't be changed and that seems very unfair.

The Americans have given their sympathys but just compared it to a bad call at a football game!

Obviously the Americans don't want Paul Hamm's gold to be even more tainted - either having it taken away or have him share it.

Just imagination how outranged USA would be if we had been robbed of a gold!

Just remember the 2002 winter games where that Canadian pair was awarded gold in addition to the Russian team. Both Canada and the USA were pretty worked up over that scandal.

The S. Korean only got a starting value of 9.9 when he should have gotten a 10. Then he would have won.

Why shouldn't he at least get to share the gold with Hamm?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote