FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #161
Baby-K
Corruptor

Absolutely dripping with it isn't it?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 AM   #162
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yes. I was in JHB two weeks ago. We should have met up for coffee of something.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #163
Baby-K
Corruptor

Would have been nice. Were you here for business or pleasure?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #164
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Pleasure. We went up for the Historic Racing at the Big Z on the weekend.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #165
Baby-K
Corruptor

Sounds like fun. Did you go out somewhere (else)?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #166
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Mainly went to Mellville (new and old) but there was a outdoor mall type place that we went to as well, don't recall the name...

Here's a thread about the trip. I'm "OMG its Ollie" if that helps.

http://www.cartoday.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=209951#000000
Old 02-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #167
Baby-K
Corruptor

Melville's kinda nice, used to hang out there all the time when I was still studying (RAU is just around the corner).
Old 02-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #168
Baby-K
Corruptor

Hey, if you went to Jolly Roger, I could very well have seen you there!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #169
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

* BUMP *

Yay, it's the Ashes time. Now I know there are some Aussies out there, so get your sledging boots on.

England to win the series, 5-0!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #170
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
* BUMP *

Yay, it's the Ashes time. Now I know there are some Aussies out there, so get your sledging boots on.

England to win the series, 5-0!
5 nil? Well, I aint no Aussie, but on their behalf:
Hahahaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaaa (pause, deep breath) haaaahaaahaahahahaahahahahaahahaamhaaaaaaaa ect.

Seriously Gaff, I'm looking forward to it. And for once, it should be a good series, not like the usual Australians-kicking-the-crap-out-of-the-mother-country, past.

Starts in about three hours. Better crack that first can....

Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 AM   #171
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Excellent, you got the joke.

Here I am sitting at work not watching it on the telly

On a more sober note, I reckon the Aussies will probably edge it 2-1 with a couple of draws. But it should be a close run thing and the Poms are definitely in with a shout.

Should be interesting to see how Pietersen goes. Bet the Boks (or whatever it is their cricket team are called) are kicking themselves that he jumped ship.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM   #172
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

And they're off! England shade the early exchanges as Australia reach 55 for 2. Langer going well, though, scoring at nearly a run a ball.

Sounds like some hostile stuff from Harmison: the medics are on the field twice and Ponting takes a hit in the face just prior to getting out.

Watching the scores on the web is a fine replacement for Ceefax or long wave Radio 4 on your tranny as it was in the 70s! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/.../scorecard.stm for those who are interested.

EDIT: Lunch, 73 for 4. Woo hoo! No doubt who's taken the honours in the first session. Freddy takes out the danger man Langer and Australia only have 1 recognised batsman left to come in. England will be hoping skittle 'em out for under 200.

EDIT again: 190 all out, Harmison 5-43. Never bat first when it's cloudy! Nice and sunny now, so expect the England openers to do some damage before the close.

What's the view from Down Under, Fenir?

Last edited by The Gaffer : 07-21-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #173
Janny
The Blobbit

Gaffer and the English contingent retract the sarcastic question towards Mr Fenir...

*Sits in dark corner*

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 AM   #174
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

You're not joking! England are past masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (I think that's why I support the England cricket team; the experience is almost identical to supporting Scotland generally), but yesterday was surely a new personal best.

Got to hand it to McGrath, though. He totally ripped them apart. I remember when he started out, he was a pretty ordinary fast-medium bowler. He really worked on his game and turned himself into the best bowler in the world.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:26 AM   #175
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Well thats a pretty comprehensive 1 nil to Australia.

McGrath and Warne are the best in the world, and lets face it, this will probably be the last Ashes tour for both of them. And the entire Australian order can put large, quick runs on the board.

And it seems that we are back to the ole Tufnell english days, with dropped catches all over the place. D Jones looked quite terrible behind the stumps, and the whole team just kept putting down sitters.
And to contrast that, you've got the Australians diving all over the place, taking great catches to get good wickets. Gilchrist is taking blinders behind the stumps, and the Poms cant even take easy ones like Flintoff's drop at second slip, Jones' two behind the bails and Pieterson's THREE in the field.

Even after Harmison did a great job on the Aussie bats early taking some massive scalps, the English bats in both inninings just looked shaky.

I really just dont see how England can get up this series. And lets face it, the Aussies arn't yet even firing on all cylinders.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:43 AM   #176
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Couldn't agree more with that assessment. Australia will get better, especially in the top order.

But surely England cannot get any worse. The batting performance, especially in the second innings, was pisspoor; to drop 9 catches in a match is totally unforgivable.

It looks as if Vaughan has succumbed to the traditional curse of the England captaincy: "hey, here's a half decent player, let's make him captain" and lo! his form goes down the toilet.

And to make matters worse, the one man who could have steadied the ship (Thorp) has retired in a fit of pique at not being selected.

Looks like my prediction of 2-1 to Australia was being generous to England.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #177
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Glad to have been proved wrong!

Anyone else glued to today's action? (last day of final Test, everything to play for). What's happened to all our Aussie/Pommie posters?

* bites nails *
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #178
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Not looking to great at the moment. 128-5 I think. We need the tailenders to bat sensibley and steadily. It's better for them to score runs slowly and preserve their wicket than score quickly and lose it.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #179
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Welcome aboard the Good Ship Heartattack, TD!

221 for 7 at tea! What a time for Pietersen to clobber his maiden Test hundred (thanks, South Africa!). Australia will need to get 250 or more off 40 overs or less, assuming they can get the last 3 wickets quickly. Reckon they'll put Gilchrist in to open the batting with Hayden and just go for it. Should be a titanic final session.

* bites elbows because no nails, hands or forearms left *
Old 09-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #180
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Phew, we've won. Amazing performance from Pietersen. Giles batted really well aswell. Also I think Collingwood was very good. He only got ten runs, but he stuck it out in there for over an hour and dealt quite well with Warne. Well deserved MoM for Pietersen and well desrerved Man of Series Awards for Freddie and Warne.

I thought they were going to put Warne and McGrath to open, just to say good bye.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote