Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #161
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
Midge's violin timeline:

1. desire to play violin
2. buys a crappy violin off craigslist
3. finds out crappy violin is crappy and unplayable.
4. borrows better violin from step-father-in-law, who is borrowing it from a local church
5. starts learning to play violin
6. finds out crappy violin is cheaper to fix than originally thought
7. pays 20 dollars to have crappy violin fixed
8. starts to tune crappy violin (I was very excited. I finally was playing my OWN violin).
9. plastic thingy on the end that holds the fine-tuners snaps and nearly severs arm (ironically the string is perfectly fine).
10. Midge is
OMGOODNESS! I'm glad you're ok, though! I hope you get your violin up and running soon

When my mom had her gigantor lever harp, she said that strings popping on that baby were like a gunshot! and they always seemed to happen in the middle of the night.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #162
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Rian, if this doesn't blow your mind then nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Nj...e_gdata_player

O_O
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #163
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*picks up the pieces of her mind*

hee hee! that is SO cool!

The only thing that would drive me nuts is that I move while I play, and I would be constantly kind of pushing and pulling the harp from the other person! I see they're staying very still to prevent this.

How fun!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #164
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The soundbox isn't quite done being painted yet, but I strung the harp yesterday and have been playing it nonstop. .... and by playing I mean tuning. Lordy this thing goes flat after two plucks.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #165
Rían

So you were able to work around the problems? How did you fix it?

(yeah, I bet it takes a while to hold the tuning ...)

Last edited by Rían : 10-09-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #166
Rían

My neighbor's daughter is really interested in playing the harp and has been for some time, but the price put her off - now that I told her about the cardboard harp, she's thinking about it again.

What harp did you get? The Waring cardboard harps that I see online have a straight harmonic curve/neck (the top part), but the youtube link showed a cardboard harp with the regular curved harmonic curve/neck. What is yours like? Which model is it?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #167
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
So you were able to work around the problems? How did you fix it?
Wood glue. Lots of woodglue. I think it's actually sturdier than I assumed... or maybe those nails I put in it are helping? Who knows! Either way, it's holding up and working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
What harp did you get? The Waring cardboard harps that I see online have a straight harmonic curve/neck (the top part), but the youtube link showed a cardboard harp with the regular curved harmonic curve/neck. What is yours like? Which model is it?
I have this model:

http://www.backyardmusic.com/Harps.html

It's about $10-20 more expensive than the Waring, but you get some extra strings. Waring is 19 strings, mine is 22.

I love it. It's SO great to practice on. I think the teacher was quite happy with the progress I've made in practicing on it since Saturday evening, and I noticed my playing on her harp was markedly better than at my last lesson.

I will say, moving from working on hers to coming home and practicing on mine again within a 20 minute period, now I'm like.... awww...... I miss the full sized harp.

But it's perfect for practicing the technical stuff (finger relaxing, scales, arpeggios, etc.). And it does have an enchanting little sound. I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #168
Rían

that's great news - I'm so happy to hear that!

I'll share that info with my neighbor.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #169
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You should! It's a great little harp. I'm sure mine will be even better as soon as my sister finishes painting the soundbox and I'm able to actually glue the whole thing together.

My teacher gave me the Bach Prelude in C (Ave Maria....) and it's a bit irritating because you need an F# to get past the first page, and then you'd have to do some lever flipping for the last few measures. *sigh* So I'll just be doing whatever I can for practice.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #170
Rían

wait - you don't have levers, do you?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #171
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

No. Levers would've raised the price beyond the point of the practicality of a technique harp.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #172
Rían

why in the world did she give you a piece with lever changes, then? There's a ton of music out there ...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #173
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

We were a little rushed for time. I also wanted something to strengthen my arpeggios.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #174
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Heh, that looks a lot less cardboard-y and far more sturdier than I was imagining. There are indeed quite a few interesting things you could do to illustrate a soundbox like that... *represses inner artist*

Ahem. Will you be posting a picture of your harp when your sister has finished painting it? I'm curious.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #175
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Pfffft. Will I be posting a picture?..... I'm going to be posting so many pictures it will make your head spin. I'M GOING TO POST SO MANY PICTURES THAT IT WILL PROBABLY BE, LIKE.... ONE. ONE PICTURE.... i.e. a thousand words.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #176
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

GOOD.

You do that, son. And better make it snappy.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #177
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I WILL!!!!

I'm excited... hopefully this weekend will be the finishing of the harp. It's a little amazing that this has spread out over the better part of three weeks. I believe that, if I hadn't cared about decorating, the harp probably would've been done in three to four hours.

Amazing. It should be worth it, though. The design my sister is doing is totally gorgeous. I had actually forgotten, till she was finishing up the bit she did last weekend, that she made me a Gondor shield years and years ago. My family went to a Ren. Festival and my other sister and I got little wooden swords. Then my mom helped us make plywood shields at home, and my oldest sister painted mine green, with the white tree in the middle, and a golden trim. That was an awesome shield. o_O I wish I could remember what happened to it....
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #178
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I am not pleased with how I've been practicing. I think for the rest of the week, I'm going to focus on scales, with my thumbs in the proper up position. It's way too easy, when I'm crossing over/under, to let that thumb slide down.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #179
Rían

yeah, thumbs are troublemakers!

How's it going? And I wanted to recommend that you get Sylvia Woods' Music Theory and Arranging Techniques Book" - it's just beyond excellent.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #180
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I keep meaning to order a copy of that!! Maybe this week.

I've been terrible... not practiced a bit. Every once in a while I pick the thing up and play a few notes, but I haven't made time to actually -practice-. Quite embarrassed and annoyed with myself.

This week I'm going to make up for it!!!!