Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #161
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
*The Artistic Monster, come bearing gifts in the shape of crayons, paints and various painting paraphernalia, enters the cafe.
"My fellow painters and crayonists, would that we could have our very own gallery here in the Cafe." he said in a wellbred, upper-class English.*

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 10-04-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #162
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Quote:
So there were no ghosts prior to Ben Franklin?
Of course there were... he discovered electrical currents, he didn't invent them

The actual theory behind ghost manifestations is that they pull the energy out of the air, it's the electromagnetic waves or something like that... but because we now have electronic devices, the theory goes that they can also pull energy from those...

Quote:
It's funny, we're both really old-fashioned, him even more so than me. I would LIKE to have my parents' blessing, but if we have the means to be married and they're just not letting me because they want me to wait, I'm all for skipping that and eloping or something. Or just getting married anyway. But my boyfriend really thinks my dad should give us permission. He asked my dad for permission to date me before we began officially dating.

It might sound kind of odd, but he thinks of it like this: When a girl is born, she is given to the charge of her father. She is his responsibility until she gets married, when she goes into the charge of her husband. That's why parents "give" their daughters to the man at weddings, traditionally. It probably sounds pretty sexist, because it stems from a sexist time period, certainly, but my boyfriend isn't like that. He takes to heart the equal idea (a husband and wife have equal status, but different roles). Even if he is the sole breadwinner, I would be his wife, and it won't be HIS money, or MY money. It would be OUR money. That sort of thing.
Well, I'm sure it sounds sexist to some in these times, but if it's what you believe in terms of parental permission and everything, then there's nothing wrong with that... it's sweet ^^ And your boyfriend certainly doesn't seem sexist in terms of any others things, so it all works out ^^

Personally, my dad had pretty my no role in my life... my parents divorced when I was pretty young and I saw him one day a week, but we've been pretty much estranged my entire life. I don't feel that he's contributed significantly to who I am as a person and he certainly hasn't been "in charge" of me in anyway... so it really wouldn't make sense for me to go about it that way.

My mom has always been very important in my life, and she's been very supportive of this relationship despite location and age differences, so if my fiance had asked anyone, it would have been her, but ultimately I've always been very independent and I think there's something very symbolic and significant about me giving my own consent to be married, sort of just making the decision and choosing my own path without anyone else's consent or condemnation...

Quote:
It started out sexist, but that doesn't mean we can't appropriate the tradition and make it not sexist. My fiance and I were trying to decide about how to do aisle-walking. My Mom thought it would be nice for my Dad to give me away, not because she thinks I'm property, but because my Dad is very important in my life and the action would represent the importance of family in my life. I decided though, that my fiancé and I walking down the aisle together is more symbolic of our relationship. My fiancé likes the idea.

I think I missed some important posts of yours, Empress Flynn and/or Shesabrandybuck.
That's a really nice aisle walking idea! I always wanted to walk down the aisle myself... I dunno what kind of wedding we're planning though, I think due to money and time issues it's just going to be very small! We haven't even decided for sure what country it's going to be in yet! Lol

Well if you did miss any posts of mine (easy to do!) then feel free to ask if I confuse you about anything!

Quote:
*The Artistic Monster, come bearing gifts in the shape of crayons, paints and various painting paraphernalia, enters the cafe.
"My fellow painters and crayonists, would that we could have our very own gallery here in the Cafe." he said in a wellbred, upper-class English.*
You do a nice upper-class English, Grey Wolf

*starts coloring happily*

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #163
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

No. No relationship between ghosts and electrical currents of any kind. Modern ghost hunters test for that sort of thing.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #164
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Exactly lol... which is why it's one of the theories... nothing proven, but it's a theory out there

And as such, even if it is something that modern ghost hunters test for, it is now permanently a part of the paranormal lore

*welcomes sis with a neverending breakfast buffet*

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #165
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
*welcomes sis with a neverending breakfast buffet*
We have a container of infinity?! *as a sceptic being, starts pulling out bread after bread after bread, slowly creating a pile of food next to him* Whoops.

Say, I just got a brilliant idea! And I do hope that it hasn't been done before, tell me if so. How about starting a thread where we would tell short stories, even fairytales (meaning ones that already exist)? Otherwise they could be told here, but it would pretty quickly fill these cafes...

You know, for entertainment, and because I think that children's fairytales are underestimated... underappreciated... smt like that.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #166
katya
Elven Maiden

Cross post... I think either way (about the electricity), they might be able to aid us in the resistance. Against the robots, that is. Even if they do use electricity, they could maybe use that to their advantage.

Do I get breakfast buffet too? Not that I don't like Marshmallow Mateys...

Edit: Maybe you should start something like that in the Writers Workshop?

Last edited by katya : 10-04-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #167
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Good thinking about the electricity advantage... have you made any attempt at securing an alliance?

Of course you get a breakfast buffet too! Everyone does!

Except Noble Elf Lord who's already taken more than his fair share *glares*

Good idea about starting that up in the Writer's Workshop...

Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #168
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Edit: Maybe you should start something like that in the Writers Workshop?
Maybe, but I'll wait for the approvement of others as well.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #169
katya
Elven Maiden

I can't see if being a problem. I'd go ahead with it if you want.

Yay, breakfast buffet!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #170
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Or dinner, in the Empress's case.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #171
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress_Flynn View Post
Of course there were... he discovered electrical currents, he didn't invent them

The actual theory behind ghost manifestations is that they pull the energy out of the air, it's the electromagnetic waves or something like that... but because we now have electronic devices, the theory goes that they can also pull energy from those...

Well, I'm sure it sounds sexist to some in these times, but if it's what you believe in terms of parental permission and everything, then there's nothing wrong with that... it's sweet ^^ And your boyfriend certainly doesn't seem sexist in terms of any others things, so it all works out ^^

Personally, my dad had pretty my no role in my life... my parents divorced when I was pretty young and I saw him one day a week, but we've been pretty much estranged my entire life. I don't feel that he's contributed significantly to who I am as a person and he certainly hasn't been "in charge" of me in anyway... so it really wouldn't make sense for me to go about it that way.

My mom has always been very important in my life, and she's been very supportive of this relationship despite location and age differences, so if my fiance had asked anyone, it would have been her, but ultimately I've always been very independent and I think there's something very symbolic and significant about me giving my own consent to be married, sort of just making the decision and choosing my own path without anyone else's consent or condemnation...

That's a really nice aisle walking idea! I always wanted to walk down the aisle myself... I dunno what kind of wedding we're planning though, I think due to money and time issues it's just going to be very small! We haven't even decided for sure what country it's going to be in yet! Lol

Well if you did miss any posts of mine (easy to do!) then feel free to ask if I confuse you about anything!

You do a nice upper-class English, Grey Wolf

*starts coloring happily*
thanks, EF!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #172
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

No, dinner comes after my fiance does the dishes like a good boy Lol...

But yes, dinner doth approach... even if it will take him hours to do the washing... and it's his turn to cook too... he takes forever with the veggies lol

Welcome, Grey Wolf! Though I typically hear more of the lower-class English firsthand

Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #173
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Really? At Uni? Good.

Look what I'm coloring.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #174
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Ooo that looks like a fun coloring book! I think I had a Sleeping Beauty one when I was a kid...

Nope, no more Uni for me! I was done and outta there in May and then I ran off to England and that's where I get all the accents

And the chores done for me

Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #175
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Nice neighborhood.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #176
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Tis indeed!

But back to the US in 10 days.... right after my birthday

At least I'll be able to vote in the election properly and not via absentee ballot...

Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #177
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

oki, EF!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #178
ElizabethAnnRoger
Elven Warrior

you guys know what is the best thing to eat in the world?
the simple dish of scrammbled eggs and buttered toast
MMMM!!!

Vive l'Empereur! Now and for always...

Elizabeth Ann Roger

Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #179
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Heya GW

How about a nice cuppa?

Sandwich?

Strawberry tart?

Some of the neverending breakfast buffet?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #180
ElizabethAnnRoger
Elven Warrior

....scrambled eggs and butter toast....

Vive l'Empereur! Now and for always...

Elizabeth Ann Roger

Closed Thread