Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #161
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
I've read it BJ. You defintley(wrong spelling? always stumble on that word...) should buy it, beacuse the progression is -huge- compared to the 2-3 previous books. Also, you find out some pretty interesting stuff, specialy one thing, which alot of people have thought about I think. And it's after all the only one more book after this one. I think maybe but don't quite it's one of the best WoT books I've read. Honestly
i shall trust your review pytt and check it out

and hold you personally responsible if wrong
Old 12-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #162
Daisy Baggins
Hobbit

I've finally finished the Knife of Dreams. Jordan starts to tie up loose ends, and a lot of stuff finally happens in the book. I still don't see how he can complete the series with just one more book. He'll have to leave a lot of things unresolved if he does.
Daisy Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #163
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Or, the last book has to be extremely big. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #164
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Didn't Really need allusions

I'm currently reading "Fires of Heaven".

I'm really getting into this series. I thought the first book took a bit too long to really get going, but by the second book, I was hooked.

Someone recommended this series to me as "a world more detailed than Tolkien", but I certainly don't see that aspect. It is a lot less "prose-y" than Prof T, but still quite enjoyable, and the characters are growing on me, starting to care what really happens to them.

Nynayeve is starting to get less on my nerves as she deals with Madame M. However, I kept waiting for someone to simply bust her in her chops for being such a B.

Rand was kind of getting on my nerves too with the "reluctant hero" bit, plus, he was a tad too chaste for my leanings.

For some reason, Moiraine didn't get on my last nerve like Little Ms Wisdom, but maybe I just assumed she had more cause to be strict and aloof.

I'm looking forward to the rest fo the books, and am thoroughly enjoying the convolutions of the story as it evolves.

As for earlier discussions re: Christ figure and the Church as Aes Sedai, I saw the AS more like a reflection of Bene Gesserit than Jesuits. Christ figure? I guess any hero/savior could be forced into that mold, but then again, the original Christ story was forced into the Hercules/Ahura Mazda/pagan hero mold as it developed. I jsut think it is common themes in human desires, not necessarily a desire by Jordan to fit Rand into a Jesus mold.

Anyways, glad to see the Entmoot still up and going. Ben, hope you and your brothers are doing great!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #165
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Wow!!!

Ok, I'm halfway through Eye of the World (read all of that last night! )
and I am HOOKED! Robert Jordan does an awesome job of dropping little clues here and there...I've already figured out who the Dragon is...Basically, this series is great.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #166
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Just started on Knife of Dreams a couple of days ago. Looks promising!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #167
Curubethion

I heard it had a HUGE plot twist in it, one that Jordan's been building up into for a long time.
Ah, well...I just finished Eye, and it was good! Great climax, good ending to get ready for the next book. I already guessed that thing about
Rand
a while back.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #168
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I'm half way through Eye of the World. This stuff is great! A co worker recomnded it. I'm hooked. The characters are great. So far I'm really liking Lan. I think I've guessed about Rand. We'll see. BTW what comes after Eye?

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:15 PM   #169
Curubethion

The Great Hunt, which I'm about a third of the way through right now...
It confirms my guess, not surprisingly. Also, it makes things a whole lot more complicated. Third in the series is The Dragon Reborn.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #170
Acalewia

Thanks Curub. It might take me a while to get through the whole series though

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #171
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I haven't begun reading them yet. Still do not know if I'll buy the 11th part (if it's gonna be anything like Shannara it can go on forever. )
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #172
Curubethion

Finished Great Hunt and Dragon Reborn...Hunt had an AWESOME climax!!! The ending duel was beautiful. Dragon, on the other hand, well-the climax was better than the first book, but still lacked quite a bit. Can't wait to start on book 4!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #173
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
if it's gonna be anything like Shannara it can go on forever.
Fortuntely, it's not! Jordan promised that the 12th book is going to be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Finished Great Hunt and Dragon Reborn...Hunt had an AWESOME climax!!! The ending duel was beautiful. Dragon, on the other hand, well-the climax was better than the first book, but still lacked quite a bit. Can't wait to start on book 4!
Wow you're quick! You're gonna like book 4, love book 5 and adore book 6. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:16 AM   #174
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Thank the Lord . I've been waiting a long time to be able to read the lot. Wanting it to be complete before doing so.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #175
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

This new one was way better than the last, I think. I almost laughed when I heard ahead of time what happened to
Rand.
That seems to happen to all my favourite characters.

...Even though he's technically not my favourite. That would be the less psychotic of the False Dragons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Fortuntely, it's not! Jordan promised that the 12th book is going to be the last.
You mean the next one's going to be the last...?

How...?

Maybe it'll be 5000 pages.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #176
Curubethion

ARGGHH!!!! MUST...GET...TO...LIBRARY...DON'T...HAVE...4TH...B OOK...
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #177
Acalewia

Stupid Library doesn't have Great Hunt. Hmmmm wonder if the coworker who recommended it has it

Dang, Curub! Either you read fast or you have a lot of free time.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #178
Curubethion

That would be both. I stayed up until midnight to finish Dragon Reborn. I'll have to get to the library for book 4.
And if anyone's interested, I found a really funny summary of Dragon.

Last edited by Curubethion : 02-05-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #179
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Just finished reading Book11 and it was amazing! But there's something I don't get. RJ said that this book will reveal that something done earlier in the series will have terrible consequences; what is that? I didn't find anything of the sort in the book
Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 PM   #180
Curubethion

Well...I'll have to see when I get to it (midway through Shadow Rising...) but my friend told me that there was a major plot development that RJ had been hinting at through much of the series (including the first books) that happened in this book.