Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #161
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
You're right about us never having a moment of ultimate retribution, but bin Laden's head on a stick would come pretty close...
yes - I've always wanted to see Osama's head on a stick at Ground Zero.

As for Guantanamo Bay - how many POWs in other wars get a trial? It;s one of the things people seem to forget we ARE at war. It may be unconventional - but we are at war. As far as I'm concerned they are Prisoners of War - they don't need charges brought against them. They were caught supporting Osama bin Ladin. We have let many of them go after they had been discovered not to be terrorists or not to be a threat.

I do NOT want this turned into a political thread - so this is the last I will say on this thread concerning this. This thread is a remembrance thread - let's keep politics out of it.

Let's remember these people -

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-11-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:53 PM   #162
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I just lowered my flag to half staff (at 5:00pm ) I wish I had known! Why didn't I figure it out! Dang me!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:43 PM   #163
Elf Girl
Lurker

As I mentioned in the venting thread, someone found it funny to put a bomb threat note on the door of my school. As we walked across to the neighboring Catholic school to wait for the police to secure it, I heard a girl say 'Omigod its nine-eleven? I totally had no idea!'

*sigh*
Old 09-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #164
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I cannot believe it's been 2 whole years already....
Question: Where were you/what were you doing when you heard?
I was asleep in bed, when my dad yelled for me to "get out here NOW!" I sat on the sofa in my underwear for almost an hour, watching...That was, without a doubt, the single worst day of my life.
Quote:
...Osama's head on a stick at Ground Zero...
If I could see that, I would think that that was the absolute best thing in the world.
*lights a candle, and remembers...*
Old 09-11-2003, 10:29 PM   #165
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I remember that I didn't have anything to do that day. I got up around 8:30am and came down stairs and made a pot of coffee. I took it outside and got the morning paper and just sat down to read the paper when the phone rang. It was my brother. He asked if I had the tv on and I said no. He told me to go in and turn it on. I did and as I sat there watching, the plane came crashing into the second tower. I couldn't believe it. My mouth was gaping, and I couldn't move. All I could do was sit there in shock. I have seen a lot of bad history unfold on live tv in my years, but nothing to top that. Unbelievable!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-11-2003, 10:31 PM   #166
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Where was i?

Well i was in 8th grade when it happened and my school would not tell anyone - sure a couple diff rumors going around, but no one took them seriously.

I didn't find out til after 3:30 when i got home - the news was turned on - i didnt believe it at first. didnt seem real.

I was affected by it somewhat - but not really directly. It has not changed my life drastically at all. I didn't know anyone who died in it. I know people who saw it happen, work near it, have been in it, and ive been in it several times, but i still dont feel affected.

maybe it is the desensitization of the usa? I mean, it sucks that that happened, but i wasnt depressed over it, or all that sad. Basically 'oh that sucks' kind of attitude, but i moved on quickly.

its kind of like how we view catastrophes in other countries: earth quake in japan, killed hundreds "thats horrible," but we don't really care that much. Tragedies happen all around the world almost every day.

Don't get me wrong - i was in shock that day, but it did not affect my life greatly. its not like i think about it often. in fact, i think today was maybe the 2nd or 3rd time ive thought about this since last year.

I did see these changes - higher security everywhere (including my school), and everyone suddenly being patriotic.

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? They should have been patriotic before 9/11 if they wanted - not because they felt that had to. Whats with all these ppl suddenly buying flags and flag decals???

And suddenly if you criticize our president you are being unpatriotic?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:50 PM   #167
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? They should have been patriotic before 9/11 if they wanted - not because they felt that had to. Whats with all these ppl suddenly buying flags and flag decals???

And suddenly if you criticize our president you are being unpatriotic?
Well I agree - but it brought the country together and gave people comfort. I was already back to complaining about NY after a month. I was told I shouldn't complain and criticize NY.

The destruction of the Twin Towers did affect me though - as I have said in past posts. I loved the towers. I loved showing them to people for the first time, having them experience the elevator and then the view. I loved seeing their faces as they crained their necks to look up them from the street. I will never be able to look out over the Hudson River from Liberty State Park and see the Towers rising from the Manhattan skyline.

Between 600 - 800 New Jerseyans died in the attacks. We had funerals for months.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-11-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:39 AM   #168
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Pentagon has also been hit by a plane causing remarkable damage. These events will surely have a huge impact on the U.S., not to mention the thousands and thousands of human lifes, victims and their families and friends.
While using a civil plane to attack targets is regretable and wrong, the Pentagon is a military structure and as such, it should be on alert for attacks. It was not fair game to attack civilians targets, but military ones are ok.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #169
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
While using a civil plane to attack targets is regretable and wrong, the Pentagon is a military structure and as such, it should be on alert for attacks. It was not fair game to attack civilians targets, but military ones are ok.
Maybe in a fair fight, and declared war. Not in a terrorist attack.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #170
Maedhros
The Tall

A fair war against the US. The US spends 330 something billion dollars in defense. The next 5 countries spend like 45-50 billion each.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:01 PM   #171
Goatee
Hobbit

Quote:
A fair war against the US. The US spends 330 something billion dollars in defense. The next 5 countries spend like 45-50 billion each.
So you are saying terrorism is ok against the US because of how much we spend on defense?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:24 PM   #172
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

No. He's saying that military installations are fair game.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:28 PM   #173
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
It was early afternoon in the UK when the planes hit and I was at home. My wife called me to say she had heard some news on the car radio saying a plane had crashed into a sky scraper in New York. I turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane crash. For a split second my brain was confused and I thought that a pilot had been so distracted by the first crash that he had accidentally crashed into the second tower (this shows just how unbelieveable the whole thing was, my brain just couldn't logically conclude that this was deliberate).

I work for a US company and we had a small office (100 staff) in the World Trade Centre. 13 of our colleagues died and I have a copy of the memorial to their memory on the wall of my office. Whilst the US was the main target of these cowards, don't ever think that you stand alone, many of us around the world share your pain and loss. Britain and many other decent nations will always stand shoulder to shoulder with America to rid our planet of these dispicable scum.

We also share and understand your grief. And so too do many decent Arab and Muslem people. Terrorists and muderers are reviled in every decent home.

Last edited by LutraMage : 09-12-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #174
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
[B]yes - I've always wanted to see Osama's head on a stick at Ground Zero.

As for Guantanamo Bay - how many POWs in other wars get a trial? It;s one of the things people seem to forget we ARE at war. It may be unconventional - but we are at war. As far as I'm concerned they are Prisoners of War - they don't need charges brought against them. They were caught supporting Osama bin Ladin. We have let many of them go after they had been discovered not to be terrorists or not to be a threat.

I do NOT want this turned into a political thread - so this is the last I will say on this thread concerning this. This thread is a remembrance thread - let's keep politics out of it.
Actually, when we went back to school the next day, after finding out Bin Laden's involvment, I wanted to see him caught and hanging upside down with a crane hook through his feet above Ground Zero. But I immediately changed my mind, realising it would be both blasphemous and uneconomical.

But in those first few weeks, we all got rather creative with things like that.

Since then, my views have changed a lot.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #175
Goatee
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
No. He's saying that military installations are fair game.
Using terrorism?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #176
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
The US spends a good deal of that money defending and supporting other countries,[EDITED] I would be more than happy to cut that military budget to 1/5 that size and let the world fend for itself! Where the hell does it say we have to come to everyone's damn rescue!?!?! huh???

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #177
Elf Girl
Lurker

Calm down, Ruinel.

I was homeschooling that year. My mom got home from wherever she was, told my dad, and then told me. Then we went outside and read Gilgamesh and discussed the human condition. I was also scared because a dear friend of mine has a mother who is a flight attendent, who nearly always flies on Tuesdays. Some of her friends were killed. It was an unpleasent day.

It was the event that 'opened my eyes'. Before 9/11, I was a child who didn't keep track of politics or the state of the world. (I was only 11, remember.) That day a large chunk of my innocence fell away and I started to think of myself as a citizen of Earth.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #178
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
And what does that have to do with crashing a plane in an act of terrorism into the Pentagon? Are you saying that because the US spends so much on defense, and because the Pentagon is a military structure, that what happened on 9/11 was justified? Those reasons are niether here nor there. What happened that day was a tragedy, delibrate, calculated, and mercilessly carried out. I don't know about where you come from, but here and in most places in the world, the acts of 9/11 are thought to be brutal, and an outrage.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM   #179
Elf Girl
Lurker

*clears throat* Um... A remembrance thread? Not a political thread? Please?
Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 PM   #180
jerseydevil

People seem to forget also - the Pentagon wasn't even the target. It was Congress and the White House. The plane that crashed into the Pentagon was heading straight for the White House- but it's hidden by trees. As soon as they flew over the White House - they turned the plane around. It is felt they missed the White House and saw the Pentagon in front of them when they turned around and decided to just go into that. The plane that crashed into Pennsylvania was targetting Congress.

The president wasn't in the White House - he was in Florida at the time - so the executive branch would have survived if they had successfully hit the White House, but can you imagine what would have happened if Congress was wiped out? How would the country have survived that? It would have been complete chaos trying to get things done without the Senate and the House of Representatives (which is the center of or government). How would the people replacing the lost Congressmen get up to speed? How long would it be before they could get anything done? How long would it even have taken to replace them?

Things could have been a lot worse. It is very lucky that Flight 93 never made it to it's target. Not only would America have been competely in turmoil but the world would also have been thrown into complete chaos too.

By the way Maedhros - the plane that was used as the bomb into the Pentagon - had Washington elementary or junior high students going on a class trip. I was wondering - do you think it was jutified to use them as the bomb? I resent your wording of "regrettable". You seem to think we deserved it - as long as civilians weren't killed. But look at the arab terrorists? Who DO they kill? They kill innocent people at bus stations, at cafes, in office buildings. They are the scum of the earth and need to be eliminated - PERIOD - and I don't care what the US has to do or whose feet we step on to do it!!

By the way Bombadillo - I still want to see Bin Ladin's head on a stick at Ground Zero and I want the Twin Towers rebuilt. They repaired the Pentago and didn't turn it into a memorial site, why should they turn the Twin Towers into a memorial

My recommendation has always been - rebuild the Twin Towers. The floors where the planes hit can be 9/11 museum and memorial space. One or two floors can even be private to the victims families since they keep saying they want a private memorial area. This way there is a huge memorial, NY gets it's retail and business space back and it regains it's skyline.

I'm really sorry for the victim's families - but I am really starting to get annoyed by their constant demands and constant demonstrations. People outside the tri-state area don't really know how many of the victim's families have been acting. Many don't want anything built. Can you imagine if we did this every time there was a terrorist attack in the US? There will be more - it's only a matter of time.

Right now lower Manhattan is severly hurting. People go to see Ground Zero and immediately head up to Midtown. More office space than all of San Diego is still missing from lower Manhattan - that means all those people who worked or visited those buildings and went to lunch, bought books at the book stores, gifts, etc aren't there spending money anymore. This is hurting the small businesses and restaurants and until Ground Zero is redeveloped to attract tourists and get them to stay - it will always be hurting.

Now can we get back to the Remembrance part and stop the political talk. If you want talk about it in one of the many threads on entmoot where people stated that America basically deserved it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-12-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread