Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #161
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

guys, guys, guys.. what does this remind you of?

http://digitalheartbeats.com/wp-cont...e_Scream1.jpeg

i just happened to see it on the wall.. do you think there might be something to it? 8)

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #162
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
guys, guys, guys.. what does this remind you of?

http://digitalheartbeats.com/wp-cont...e_Scream1.jpeg

i just happened to see it on the wall.. do you think there might be something to it? 8)
Oh I rather think so... but then, I had seen this...

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2011/04/doctor...he-scream.html

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #163
Nerdanel

hehe.. oh well, i guess my idea wasn't that novel, then.. X) but it was fun to notice, and a very clever way to do it - letting the doctor who universe seep into ours.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #164
Draken
Elf Lord

Time travel possible within the next year or so.

Maybe. Sort of. Perhaps.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...ce-779761.html

Either way, gotta love the graphic!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #165
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Doctor Who - 5 - The Rebel Flesh

This episode was interesting and somewhat creepy at the same time.

I enjoyed the pacing and thought the episode was better than The Doctor's wife.

Having and exact doppelganger with all of your memories and abilities can be disconcerting. This is especially true if your doppelganger decides there can only be one of you around.

It seems that these doppelgangers were treated only as machines that can be disposed at a whim. This can be difficult since they are so exactly alike their originals, it is very difficult to distinguish the copy from the original.

What does it mean to be human? (This question has been explored by many science fiction writers over the years.)

I am curious to see what will happen in two weeks as this episode is resolved.

The lady with the eye patch appears again. Who is she and what does she bode for Amy and the others?

I thought is was funny to hear Rory agree with Jen about how lucky Amy was to have him.

I did not expect to see dead person come back in the beginning. Nice way to introduce me to the doppelgangers.

I did not expect to see the doppelganger Doctor. I wonder what he will do.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #166
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Another interesting episode ... very queer right off as they're joking about the guy falling into acid - "can't pull you out now, especially as there's only an upper half now!" or something like that Kind of like disposable, pain-free copies of yourself around so you don't have to worry about messing up.

Now at the beginning, from what I could tell, the "real" person had to be strapped into the thingy and then they basically controlled the ganger, right? And was it like Frankenstein's monster, where that big electrical surge made the gangers "alive"?

Anyway, interesting again, especially with a second Doctor! And they're making us wait 2 weeks!!! *pout*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #167
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ps - I loved the Doctor's Wife episode - I thought that lady did a brilliant job of being the Tardis. I loved how from her POV, she very definitely chose him! And I loved how when he complained that she wasn't always reliable, that she countered with that she always took him where he needed to be.

Loads of funny moments and dialogue (I loved the "which one is Amy? The pretty one?" and then she chooses Rory! ) The dialogue was so fast that I re-watched it with captioning! and learned a new phrase - at the beginning, when the Doctor was trying to go faster and was deleting rooms, he said he was doing it to "give us some welly" or something like that - nice phrase! (I googled it) Do you Brits still use it?

And I agree - the House thing was suitably weird and creepy and novel, and the whole hide-and-seek thing really uncanny. I loved seeing Tennant's control room again and I thought the whole passkey thing was clever (you had to THINK about crimson, 11, delight and petrichor).

And how cool was that - I mean, how did they even come across that word?! petrichor

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 05-24-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #168
Nerdanel

i quite liked the last episode. i saw some things coming before they happened, but it was still good. so far, the only episode i haven't really liked is the pirate one. but i think i might be alone in that. :P

it seems like the doctor knows a lot more about the flesh than he's been telling anyone.. and was rory finally just being himself and taking a stand or is there something weird going on with him and jen?

it's incredible how many loose ends they've left hanging.. seems like that's what this first half of the season is about, major unresolved things; for instance, the death of the doctor, amy's weird pregnancy, the story of the silence, the time-child, and now, a second doctor.. all of this in 5 episodes, and nothing has been resolved. oh, and of course the eternal question: who is river?
seems like many of these things can be linked together in different ways, but we see what's actually going on when they let us see it. :P of course, speculation is always fun..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #169
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
it seems like the doctor knows a lot more about the flesh than he's been telling anyone.. and was rory finally just being himself and taking a stand or is there something weird going on with him and jen?

it's incredible how many loose ends they've left hanging.. seems like that's what this first half of the season is about, major unresolved things; for instance, the death of the doctor, amy's weird pregnancy, the story of the silence, the time-child, and now, a second doctor.. all of this in 5 episodes, and nothing has been resolved. oh, and of course the eternal question: who is river?
seems like many of these things can be linked together in different ways, but we see what's actually going on when they let us see it. :P of course, speculation is always fun..
I think Rory is just taking a stand. He has empathy for Jen's plight.

River is an enigma until we have more information.

“The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession.” - Sherlock Holmes

I agree that it can be fun to speculate.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #170
Rían

Quote:
so far, the only episode i haven't really liked is the pirate one. but i think i might be alone in that. :P
You're not alone, matey - arrr! It had some good parts, but overall, it should walk the plank!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #171
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yay for Rory developing a spine!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #172
Rían

Hey, speaking of spines, didn't Uncle get that Timelord's spine? (Auntie got his arm, Uncle got the spine and kidney, IIRC)

(EDIT - the Timelord is "the Corsair")

Anyway, I found this site that has some upcoming episode summaries (possible spoilers). So far, it's accurate - if it keeps being accurate, we'll find out who River is the episode after the next episode ...

Last edited by Rían : 05-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #173
Nerdanel

i usually like getting as little information as possible about the upcoming episodes, although i, of course, like to speculate..

oh, and you mentioned earlier that we'll have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode - at least on the doctor who website they say the next episode is on saturday the 28th of may...

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 AM   #174
Rían

Ours isn't - here in the US, it's June 4th (or at least in Arizona - I think last year, they were getting them a week earlier in some parts of the US)

Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #175
Mari
Elf Lady

So far I'm really not impressed by this season. So much predictableness or totally odd things happening. I just want a fun, stand alone episode without a dozen new open questions at the end. If it continues like this, I think I might call it a quits.
I would also like for Amy to wear long jeans instead of those 3-quarter ones

But the ending of this last episode (ep 6)... really? I mean, come on, really?!?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #176
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
So far I'm really not impressed by this season. So much predictableness or totally odd things happening. I just want a fun, stand alone episode without a dozen new open questions at the end. If it continues like this, I think I might call it a quits.
I would also like for Amy to wear long jeans instead of those 3-quarter ones

But the ending of this last episode (ep 6)... really? I mean, come on, really?!?
I too prefer episodes that are more stand alone-ish. Except for the two part episodes, I think that each can be viewed as a stand alone episode. Compared against old DW, new DW does seem to have more dangling questions that take several episodes for an answer to appear. This can work if there is good planning and preparation before the season begins.

I will need to wait till next week (04JUN2011) to see ep 6.
In USA, BBCA ran a Doctor Who marathon (of reruns) on Saturday May 28.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #177
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Just saw the last episode.

What. The. Hell.

So, so confused!
How did Amy become Flesh? How did Doctor get her preggers with baby-Flesh? How is real-Amy pregnant? How long has Amy been Flesh? And WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #178
Mari
Elf Lady

I do have some theories on most of those questions, but I'd best not till after next week or so.
(I can't believe you guys can wait that long while you know you can just download the version broadcast in the UK!)

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #179
Nerdanel

i also have some theories.. and i think it was brilliant. :P i quite like the continuity of the series; sometimes the stand-alone episodes are really good, sometimes they're really bad. but i like that there are themes that are running through and between seasons, that they build up for a long time, and that you can catch hints of every now and then.

gw:
the switching of amy's pregnancy when the doctor scans her suggests to me that flesh-amy was never pregnant, and that the signal came from the connection between flesh-amy and non-flesh-amy. and it seems flesh-amy's been around for quite a while (at least from the beginning of this season).
it might be that someone (the silence?) somehow managed to get amy pregnant with a timebaby to use it (the little girl, amy's kid) for their own cause. clearly someone wants amy's kid for something, and it seems they got her pregnant, somehow. i'm not going to go in on how that all could happen, since that would be pure speculation. :P

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #180
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Just saw the last episode.

What. The. Hell.

So, so confused!
How did Amy become Flesh? How did Doctor get her preggers with baby-Flesh? How is real-Amy pregnant? How long has Amy been Flesh? And WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?
I agree that this episode was confusing, especially at the end.

Real Jen's death was disappointing.

I think I would need more time to fully comprehend what is going on with this episode.

Interesting Q: What does it mean to be truly human?