FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #161
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
*ahem*

You raaaaaaaaaaise them uuuuuuuup! To sing like professional choirs... You raaaaaaise them uuuuuup, to perform Mozart and even Byyyyyyyyrd! They sing goooooood, when you are in their raa-aaaaaaaanks.... you raaaaaaise them uuuup... to moooore.... than they.... could (previously) beeeeee....
Hahaha!
Thanks! Nice solo

Actually I was looking for 2 different chorusses: 1 more classical with Beethoven and Handel or something of the sorts (I would love to sing Gloria by Beethoven and the Mattheuspassione) and something more like gospel or musical or whatever. So far I didn't find either. Perhaps I am too picky

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #162
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hm. Well, gospel can be really fun to sing, but IMO I really prefer classical choirs. For one thing, ESPECIALLY for sopranos, most gospel choirs are murderously hard. They want you to sing high, and LOUUUUUUD. In the gospel choir I was in, we had a huge alto section, and I found out that a lot of them were actually sopranos (a few were even coloratura!) who didn't want to sing soprano in gospel, even though they had big voices, and sang soprano in classical choirs.

Plus it's a little like screaming for the entire rehearsal .

But on the other hand, if you know what you're doing vocally, which it certainly sounds like you do, it could also be great fun . And maybe the choir I was in was just... special.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #163
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
Dude! That's freakin' awesome!
New seasons of Monk and Psych start Friday!
*parties like it's..... today*
Thanks. My friend Avery, who is the party's new Propaganda minister because of his excellent digital art, is working on a better one.

Yay!
What time does Monk come on, by the way?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #164
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

right-before-the-show-right-after-it Eastern Time, but, as you're a Cali-commie, you'd go for right-after-the-show-right-before-it o'clock, got it?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 AM   #165
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well, I have to give up my job of teaching piano next semester...

It looks like I'll only have one free afternoon each week, and I certainly can't just teach at one school... and with no weekend opportunities... blech.

So I thiiiiiiink I'm gonna look into being a reading tutor, or something. There are programs in my area where you work with two kids, once a week, for 30 minutes each. It's all volunteer, so it's no replacement for an actual job... but I don't think I can get a weekend teaching job anyways, so my teaching and my money-making schemes will have to be separate .

I just wanna teach! I love working with kids, and when it's one-on-one it's even better. I'm not sure if it would be something I could put on a resume (1 hour a week isn't very impressive...) but it'd be worth it to me, to keep my teaching skills sharp .
Old 07-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #166
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
New seasons of Monk and Psych start Friday!
*parties like it's..... today*
Thptttt! Monk is cool, but Psych bugs me. I want a comedy about a real psychic.

However, I am just as bad as you are.

WAAHHH! When is the new season of Avatar coming out????
Old 07-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #167
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Hm. Well, gospel can be really fun to sing, but IMO I really prefer classical choirs. For one thing, ESPECIALLY for sopranos, most gospel choirs are murderously hard. They want you to sing high, and LOUUUUUUD. In the gospel choir I was in, we had a huge alto section, and I found out that a lot of them were actually sopranos (a few were even coloratura!) who didn't want to sing soprano in gospel, even though they had big voices, and sang soprano in classical choirs.

Plus it's a little like screaming for the entire rehearsal .

But on the other hand, if you know what you're doing vocally, which it certainly sounds like you do, it could also be great fun . And maybe the choir I was in was just... special.
Perhaps it's a good thing then that I am not a soprano. At least not since I turned twelve or so.
I was diagnosed as a mezzo by someone, but I feel more at home in the alto-part without high notes. But actually I don't really know what I'm doing. I just find out things as I'm going and by keeping in mind that if it hurts, it's not good. I can hear it if the tone is of though, or the differences in ways of singing.
By the way, in the Netherlands they have a tv-show in which 16 chorusses compete for the title "best chorus of the Netherlands", quite interesting. And it shows that there are many different kinds of chorusses. I even saw one in traditional Dutch clothing... did we have traditional clothing?
But I think it would interest you

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #168
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Speaking of shows. New show coming on CBS called Moonlight will start airing this fall. Looks pretty nifty. If you like vampire shows i'd check it out.

Airs @ 9 eastern time.

WEEEEEEEEEEE!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #169
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Sorry I haven´t been posting, the Entmoot was evil and did´nt let me in. And I had to read through all that Teacup cafe to get the hang of things. Bugger. Double bugger....
Anyways. I did some archery today, not for long, just to check my skill (which I sometimes think is negative). I´m shooting from some 20 metres. Random results really, proves that there´s a lot of work to do. At the moment I have only one arrow missing, meaning that there are still 5 in the quiver. ...... (Lack of thoughts).....
Old 07-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #170
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

I found an archery range by my friend's house! I REALLY need more arrows since I have broken or lost most of mine.
I used to be a pretty good shot. I should start practicing again.

In other news, I can't get up because there is a fuzzy cat on my lap.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #171
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Thanks. My friend Avery, who is the party's new Propaganda minister because of his excellent digital art, is working on a better one.

Yay!
What time does Monk come on, by the way?
Awesoome

9:00 Pacific.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 07-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #172
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
I found an archery range by my friend's house! I REALLY need more arrows since I have broken or lost most of mine.
I used to be a pretty good shot. I should start practicing again.

In other news, I can't get up because there is a fuzzy cat on my lap.
Do start archery again! It´s fun, and if not fun, at least challenging!

Can´t get up because of a cat? Have you been reading Garfield? We have a dog (a little one), her name is Muska, and all she does is eat and sleep. And sleep. And she´s definetely more than a dog: when she is sleeping and then sighs, it´s like a pigs oink oink. Her hind legs resemble those of a chicken, and she enjoys laying and being stroken by us like a cat. A real multi-animal!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #173
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

There are several archers here at the Moot, including me - we had a range just about a mile away in California, but since we moved to Arizona in December, we haven't shot yet There's one about 8 miles away, an indoor range (translate - gotta pay to shoot), but haven't made it there yet. There's one about 12 miles away that's outdoor and free, but when it's 114 outside, it's not too motivating a thing to stand in the sun and shoot. So we have our quivers sitting in the hall, gathering dust ... (at least they look colorful - 3 sets of a dozen arrows - my daughter's are pink and turquoise, my youngest son's are red and black, and my oldest son's and mine are orange and yellow. I miss our wonderful archery store, too! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #174
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
There are several archers here at the Moot, including me
Fits with the zeal for Middle Earth .
Quote:
- we had a range just about a mile away in California, but since we moved to Arizona in December, we haven't shot yet There's one about 8 miles away, an indoor range (translate - gotta pay to shoot), but haven't made it there yet. There's one about 12 miles away that's outdoor and free, but when it's 114 outside, it's not too motivating a thing to stand in the sun and shoot.
In the fall you'll probably be able to get to it, though.
Quote:
So we have our quivers sitting in the hall, gathering dust ... (at least they look colorful - 3 sets of a dozen arrows - my daughter's are pink and turquoise, my youngest son's are red and black, and my oldest son's and mine are orange and yellow. I miss our wonderful archery store, too! )
I know what you mean about one's beloved arrows gathering dust. I don't do archery, but the place where I've been fencing for at least eight years has moved. It went too far away for us to make it there, so now the foils that I, my brother and my sister own are gathering dust . No more fencing. At least for now. I could fence with my brother if I wanted, but I'm very, very competitive whenever I fence with him. I might do that some if I get a bit more desperate though.

On the up side, I'm taking tennis now . My siblings and Dad and I are playing tennis at a place nearby. We're also going to the beach again. So I've really no reason to complain .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord
We have a dog (a little one), her name is Muska, and all she does is eat and sleep. And sleep. And she´s definetely more than a dog: when she is sleeping and then sighs, it´s like a pigs oink oink. Her hind legs resemble those of a chicken, and she enjoys laying and being stroken by us like a cat. A real multi-animal!
Lol!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-10-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #175
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
There's one about 12 miles away that's outdoor and free, but when it's 114 outside, it's not too motivating a thing to stand in the sun and shoot.
Yeah, I'm not sure who made the decision that our family should meet in Arizona at the end of July...I'm thinking it wasn't a good idea...I don't get along with heat.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #176
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Argh, Lief, now I have this mental image of an elf, wearing raggedy barbarian clothes... playing tennis.

"By the GODS, I SMITE THEE!" *THWACK-OW!*

"Ooooh, nice serve, Mr. Erikson!"

"Truly, Eru smiles on me today!"

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #177
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Err...what, Durino?

Quote:
Awesoome

9:00 Pacific.
Oh, wouldn't you know it. That's after my dad is home. He gets all offended like I'm invading his television time, even though he doesn't watch it anyway.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #178
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Err...what, Durino?

Oh, wouldn't you know it. That's after my dad is home. He gets all offended like I'm invading his television time, even though he doesn't watch it anyway.
Bummer. I'll tell you when it's on again.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #179
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord
Can´t get up because of a cat? Have you been reading Garfield?
OMG, there are these Garfield comics where Garfield is removed and Jon just looks crazy.

I can't find it though.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #180
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
"By the GODS, I SMITE THEE!" *THWACK-OW!*

"Ooooh, nice serve, Mr. Erikson!"

"Truly, Eru smiles on me today!"

Funny that you should say that. I actually was using a lot of "thees" and "thous" when playing tennis today, trying to knock my opponents' resolve with a jolly old heap of Medieval style lingo.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Closed Thread