Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 12:28 PM   #161
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I saw the trailer! It took ONE BLOODY WEEK but I saw it! At first my sister and I thought we missed it since we arrived as the commercials and trailers were already being shown. At the end of the movie I said 'Drat, we MISSED it!' and she said 'Well we'll have to see it again shall we?' And than the screen went black and the letters 'next christmas' appeared on the screen And we went like ohmygoditthetrailerohmygodthey'reshowingitohmygodw

I had a similar experience, E?niel! I drove to a city 2 hrs away to see the trailer this past weekend with my roommate, it was so exciting the way it just appeared at the end- it was awesome!!! It looks like it will focus mostly on the Aragorn story (probably saving most of the Frodo/Sam for RotK), and it seems as though the love triangle will be expanded. Im not going to fret about it though, Ive just come to think that the movie and the books are seperate identities and hopefully PJ kept his wits about him... of course, if Eowyn and Aragorn get frisky I will have words to say!!! Behave yourself, boy!!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 01:58 PM   #162
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oh, be-have!

sorry i couldn't resist!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:24 PM   #163
Radagast_the_Fool
Sapling

Here's a poor-quality version of trailer

Hi everyone, I'm a new-comer to this message board, the last one I was involved in seems to be dying out. Anyway, a friend showed me this link to a rather poor-quality version of the trailer, but it is the complete trailer, and you can see that whoever got this just took a video camera to the theatre and recorded right off the screen (the whole thing is very jumpy).

http://lotr.utmn.ru/ttt_trailer/lotr...creen.copy.mov
http://lotr2.utmn.ru/ttt_trailer/lot...creen.copy.mov

or for avi, 16 mb: http://www.desten.ru/temp/lotr2tt.avi

I'm sure someone must have posted a link by now, but just thought I'd contribute in some small way.

And just out of curiousity (assuming anyone reads this), why is everyone freaking out about Treebeard? So far we've seen, what, a pair of eyes? Yes they are good eyes, and yes it's obvious Treebeard will look very tree-ish (if he didn't, if they made him more human than tree... well Peter Jackson would have hell to pay), but Jackson is doing a good job in keeping most everything about Treebeard hidden, I doubt he'll release much more than those eyes until the movie comes out, he loves to keep his audience drooling in anticipation.
Radagast_the_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:24 AM   #164
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I saw it a week ago in theatres, but since I was on hiatus from these boards, I never really got to comment...

So, some brief comments.

Eowyn, my favourite character in the novel. I am absolutely ecstatic that her mostly "offstage" relationship to Aragorn, Faramir and even Wormtongue are being developed. The shot where she is sparring with Aragorn? Amazing.

I'm glad they're incorporating more of the songs, as it seems... specifically, Théoden reciting "Where now the horse and the rider? / Where is the horn that was blowing?"

The appearance of both Galadriel and Arwen is really little to no expansion upon the novel. I figure that Gandalf's return to Lothlorien and being robed in white is when this takes place.

Helm's Deep - is there anything I can say that hasn't already been said? Visually, this may well be the most sophisticated epic battle in cinematic history. And the sheer atmosphere is dead-on.

Treebeard - what a tease...

Is it just me, or is there one shot of Eowyn guised as Dernhelm? Because I think it looks way too obvious. Maybe the "surprise" is no longer being kept? And also: does this mean that TTT will take things chronologically, and begin covering some stuff in Book V before it finishes IV (which we know it won't, Shelob being in the ROTK film)? "Where will TT end, Part III"...

It looks like most of the focus will be on Aragorn's side of the story. We didn't really see that much of Frodo, Gollum and Sam. Maybe because the latter part is not as suited as "trailer material", because it's more deep than it is majestic... but who knows.

Was it just my eyes, or was there a shot of masses fleeing away from their burning homes that was repeated from the Prologue preceding Fellowship?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:18 AM   #165
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Aragorn frisky? . . .gimme a break, he's in love with Arwen. He only feels sorry for Eowyn; anything to the contrary would be a major change in his character.
I think you hit it right on the head, IronParrot, when you said Frodo's story is not really trailer material. They had to put in battles, fires, fleeing armies, fight scenes to draw the crowds. But I'm sure that Frodo, Sam and Gollum will get screen time too; it will be great but not something you could show in 3 seconds. They did their best with the shot of Gollum climbing toward Frodo as he wakes up. It's all about Frodo's quest, after all; the armies are only trying to distract Sauron.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:45 AM   #166
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
It looks like most of the focus will be on Aragorn's side of the story. We didn't really see that much of Frodo, Gollum and Sam. Maybe because the latter part is not as suited as "trailer material", because it's more deep than it is majestic... but who knows.

Agreed. Im not exactly sure how PJ & crew divided the stories, but I remember hearing gossip that most of the Frodo/Sam tale had been shifted to RotK.... but, we'll have to wait until Dec. to find out.... how many weeks is that... roughly 36!... oh boy....
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:57 AM   #167
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Re: Here's a poor-quality version of trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast_the_Fool
And just out of curiousity (assuming anyone reads this), why is everyone freaking out about Treebeard? So far we've seen, what, a pair of eyes? Yes they are good eyes, and yes it's obvious Treebeard will look very tree-ish (if he didn't, if they made him more human than tree... well Peter Jackson would have hell to pay), but Jackson is doing a good job in keeping most everything about Treebeard hidden, I doubt he'll release much more than those eyes until the movie comes out, he loves to keep his audience drooling in anticipation.
Hi and welcome to the moot, Radagast_the_Fool.
To answer your question about Treebeard in part: Being as this is the Entmoot and all, I am naturally a big fan of Tolkien's tree shepards. My desire to see how PJ would render these great creatures of imagination has been high on my list of potential and possible disappointments. The glimpse that is shown in the trailer has allowed me to relax a bit knowing that it wasn't poorly treated. I am excited to see how it is all played out on the silver screen.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #168
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well I think they didn't show much of Gollum in the trailler because they want to keep him up their sleeves a bit. He is the main character that hasn't really been introudueced properly. And lets face it he needs alot of character to be filled in for those who have never even read the hobbit. Also because he is computer generated he will probably look alot more realistic in RotK.
luv
Play Girl
xxx

PS My friend who has never read LotR started to have a fit when treebeard opened his eyes and started whispering in my ear "ohmygodohmygod that tree had eyes!" I slapped her very hard so she would shut up before she could ruin my view and concentration

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #169
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think they didn't show much of Gollum in the Trailer cuz they haven't finnished polishing the images.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:43 PM   #170
Darth Tater
The man

Yeah IP, that shot was in the prologue in FOTR, just flipped. Also, the shots of Isengard and Barad-Dur where from Fellowship.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:09 PM   #171
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

IronParrot, are you sure you are not confused with that shot of Arwen in robes, it looks like a shot from the scene when she takes Narsil.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #172
Comic Book Guy

I found the original poem in the text.

Quote:
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:35 PM   #173
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yup, the scene of the people running from the burning village is from Fellowship. And I'm tellin ya, the guy who plays Theoden is gonna snag an Oscar for this. Every time I watch the trailer his recitation just rivets me....

And welcome to the Moot, Radagast_the_Fool. I for one have been waiting to see a good non-cartoon moving rendition of Treebeard since 1978. That's why when I saw the eye, I said, "Holy ****, it's TREEBEARD!" so loud others in the theater were laughing...

Helm's Deep is set perfectly, LOOOVE the shot of Aragorn, mirroring his future father-in-law, ordering the firing of a salvo of arrows into a mass of screaming orcs.....

And Eowyn's little sword-cut which sweeps Aragorn's blade out of the way is so cool.

There's one shot I also was really taken with, it appeared to be the orcs who took Merry and Pippin encamped at the edge of a wood, guards looking outwards, a few torches sputtering and a mist around......seemed like the scene before dawn right before the attack of the Rohirrim when Merry and Pippin were taken into Fangorn by.....Grishnakh <????> [still can't find my copy of Two Towers].

And when Saruman says "Gandalf Greyhame" I get chills up my spine!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:53 AM   #174
Earenya
Elven Warrior

My roomie didnt know (she suspected, though) the secret about Gandalf.... but she was SOOOO excited after the trailer!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:45 PM   #175
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Excuse me for being ignorant, but I though there was an actor playing Gollum. I know in a lot of scened he is computerised but when does the actor come in? If it's only on close up scenes where he talks surely it wouldnt mesh? Maybe they put him in one of thos motion suits and just layered the computer image on top. hmmm. Arathorns a computer expert right? Arathorn!!!! ARATHOORRRRNNNN???

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 01:56 PM   #176
Comic Book Guy

It's a combo of Motion Capture with Andy Serkis in a suit and manual animation. I don't know how you define acting, but Voiceovers and acting while in a suit count in my book.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:01 PM   #177
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yes ms fruit gelato? (I wouldn't say expert, just an average IT practitioner)The actor played out the part so that the rest of the cast can focus on him and act more naturally and for the CGI crew to place the bright markers on they use as reference points when they start work in post-production. He was the equivalent of the Balrog tennis ball except that he walked and talked.

PJ and the rest of the CG crew were said to be almost regretting replacing the actor with the rendering coz he played Gollum so well.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 04-11-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:55 PM   #178
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Ohhhh. Thankyou ComicBookdude and Arathorn.

And Blarog tennis ball? They used a tennis ball to portray the Balrog is that what you are saying???
Fruit Gelato!!! Hee! I have to write that down!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #179
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by StrawberryIcecream
Ohhhh. Thankyou ComicBookdude and Arathorn.

And Blarog tennis ball? They used a tennis ball to portray the Balrog is that what you are saying???
Fruit Gelato!!! Hee! I have to write that down!
Ah, that would be from the LOTR bloopers thread somewhere in this mess.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:44 PM   #180
Comic Book Guy

If you are interested, this interview with Andy Serkis talks of the methods used.