FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #1621
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Oh Swedish speakers, did I say this "Svenska är svår därför att det är ny." correctly?
Almost . "Svenska är svårt därför att det är nytt". Those t's are because Swedish is ett språk (a language). Words with the article ett like t's. Compare with French une words that like e's attached to their adjectives

Quote:
Does "att" mean "to" as in "to pester ones mates" in this sentence?

vänners = friends

What's "tillvaro"

If someone speaks too quickly in Swedish for me I will say "Can du tallan lite långsamera?"

(I know "slow" is långsam, is "slowly" långsamera?)
"Att" means "to". "Att äta" = "to eat".

vänner = friends

"Tillvaro" = existence, life

Kan du tala lite långsammare. "Långsammare" means "slower". "Slowly" would be "långsamt". Generally, Swedish adverbs have an additional -t like English adverbs have -ly.

Nurv, will you be celebrating Christmas in Sweden or in Canada?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #1622
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
should have read the other posts before replying or should I say:

Jag borde verkligen läsa igenom de andra posterna innan jag svarar.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 11-24-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:32 AM   #1623
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
I have "Teach Yourself Swedish" (In the 'Teach Yourself' series). It's very good. I'm still on pronounciation too. (But your helpful phrases inspired me GW! )
I have the teach yourself - as well as other swedish books. I never rely on one book when trying to learn a language. I wish Teach Yourself used more phonetic spelling when introducing new phrases.

The thing about swedish that seems so difficult is the sing-songness too it - even though most books I have looked at said not to concentrate or worry about that. I don't know why - but Swedish seems harder and more intimidating to me than Russian. I think because Swedish basically uses the same alphabet - but the sounds are so different than English.

If I do go to Sweden sometime - I would like to at least understand some of the language.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-25-2004, 04:51 AM   #1624
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I don't know why - but Swedish seems harder and more intimidating to me than Russian. I think because Swedish basically uses the same alphabet - but the sounds are so different than English.

If I do go to Sweden sometime - I would like to at least understand some of the language.
I think Swedish is one of the easiest languages I've been learning because of its similarity to English and it's not that hard anyway. That's the written language. The spoken language is a completely different story. I downloaded one of the practice VCE listening exams for Swedish and was very surprised- they were talking so fast I thought I was listening to French for the first few seconds! And then I thought I must be really bad at Swedish but it was Continuer's Level so that's ok. But still, listening to and speaking in Swedish is a challenge for me, partly because there aren't Swedes around here. Lucky Nurv.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:43 AM   #1625
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You're right Lin. Swedish is probably one of the more easier languages to learn because, as you mentioned, it's similar to English and French. Plus, I'm surrounded by English speaking Swedes, so it really couldn't get any easier!

Quote:
I have the teach yourself - as well as other swedish books. I never rely on one book when trying to learn a language. I wish Teach Yourself used more phonetic spelling when introducing new phrases.
Fortunately for me I can just ask one of my Swedish friends to show me how to pronounce it. My other source for learning the language is watching English television subtitled in Swedish. I learned a lot this way, including "fan", an all-purpose swear-word.

Quote:
The thing about swedish that seems so difficult is the sing-songness too it - even though most books I have looked at said not to concentrate or worry about that. I don't know why - but Swedish seems harder and more intimidating to me than Russian. I think because Swedish basically uses the same alphabet - but the sounds are so different than English.
I love the sing-song aspect of Swedish. It's such a beautiful, friendly-sounding language. Don't worry JD, if you can learn a whole new alphabet for Russian, you can handle Swedish. Don't let it scare you!

Don't forget your ä, å, and ö!

Quote:
Why not try a holiday in Sweden this year? See our lovli lakes. And our majestic moose. A moose once bit my sister. Yes, she was carving her initials on its hind end with the broken end of a toothbrush given to her by her boyfriend, and Oslo dentist...

Erm, yes, anyway it is nice to know some Swedish over here. When I pay for my food in the grocery store, and say "I have three kronor" or something, and the cashier does not respond in English, I know I've learned something.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #1626
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
You're right Lin. Swedish is probably one of the more easier languages to learn because, as you mentioned, it's similar to English and French. Plus, I'm surrounded by English speaking Swedes, so it really couldn't get any easier!
I forgot to mention that just because it's pretty easy doesn't mean I'm any good at it. Hmm, listening to Kent now and thinking about what I miss about Swedish is making me sad. I'm going to practise again, though I need to work on my Chinese so I can say something over there.

[A bit later, talking to Jon in Swedish] Eep! Haven't done this in ages! *Terrified*

Quote:
I learned a lot this way, including "fan", an all-purpose swear-word.
'Skit' is another one. I hope you're learning less rude words as well.

Quote:
I love the sing-song aspect of Swedish. It's such a beautiful, friendly-sounding language.
It doesn't sound that friendly to me. Quite daunting actually. They're just too articulate, damnit! Wait, I don't know which language I would consider friendly-sounding...maybe English. German's not supposed to sound that nice but I love it anyway.

Quote:
Don't forget your ä, å, and ö!
And é! And ü sometimes.

Quote:
A moose once bit my sister. Yes, she was carving her initials on its hind end with the broken end of a toothbrush given to her by her boyfriend, and Oslo dentist...
Is it just me or does that sound REALLY abnormal?

Quote:
Erm, yes, anyway it is nice to know some Swedish over here. When I pay for my food in the grocery store, and say "I have three kronor" or something, and the cashier does not respond in English, I know I've learned something.
That's a really positive sign! I was worried that if I went to Europe, they'd all just start speaking to me in English!
Old 11-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #1627
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I forgot to mention that this is a good site that I haven't used much yet. Do you need any more links? I have a few.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 AM   #1628
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I forgot to mention that just because it's pretty easy doesn't mean I'm any good at it. Hmm, listening to Kent now and thinking about what I miss about Swedish is making me sad. I'm going to practise again, though I need to work on my Chinese so I can say something over there.
Besides Ni hao ma. (sp??) That's all I know. Though I may be accidentally be saying unkind things about someone's mother - I don't think I pronounce it properly.

Quote:
[A bit later, talking to Jon in Swedish] Eep! Haven't done this in ages! *Terrified*
At least you have done it! Keep up the good work.

Quote:
'Skit' is another one. I hope you're learning less rude words as well.
But of course! It's just... television... you know.

Quote:
And é! And ü sometimes.
Aha, so é is a Swedish letter. Except, I think é and ü are letters with accents rather than actual letter like ö, å, and ä are. I mean, words beginning with å etc. get their own section in the dictionary.

Quote:
Is it just me or does that sound REALLY abnormal?
Of course it sounds abnormal! It's Monty Python - I'd expect nothing less...

Quote:
That's a really positive sign! I was worried that if I went to Europe, they'd all just start speaking to me in English!
Yeah, when I first got here and of course my Swedish was really bad, I'd order food in bad Swedish and the guy would reply in perfect English. Now I order food in decent Swedish and the guy will reply in Swedish (which I will pretend to understand).

I'm hoping to advance to the level where I actually understand.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #1629
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Besides Ni hao ma. (sp??) That's all I know. Though I may be accidentally be saying unkind things about someone's mother - I don't think I pronounce it properly.
Looks fine to me. You'd have to say it really appallingly for someone to not know what you mean.

Quote:
Aha, so é is a Swedish letter. Except, I think é and ü are letters with accents rather than actual letter like ö, å, and ä are. I mean, words beginning with å etc. get their own section in the dictionary.
Oh, yeah, I think that's right. Though I think spelling words like idé are wrong without the accent. Is that right?

Quote:
One of my favourite phrases (I have it in 20 languages)- Övning ger färdighet= practice makes perfect.

[Edit] Oh, I forgot to answer you Nurv. I speak two dialects of Chinese that are similar to each other, but are basically a different language to Mandarin.

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-25-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #1630
Jonathan

Quote:
é and ü are not actual letters like å, ä and ö. é only exists in French loan words (like idé = idea) and I've only seen ü in German sounding names (like Carolina Klüft, one of Sweden's biggest sport stars).

Quote:
Yeah, when I first got here and of course my Swedish was really bad, I'd order food in bad Swedish and the guy would reply in perfect English. Now I order food in decent Swedish and the guy will reply in Swedish (which I will pretend to understand).

You'll advance to that level soon enough if you keep ordering food in Swedish. You're learning quickly by using the language.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I think that's right. Though I think spelling words like idé are wrong without the accent. Is that right?
Yes, without the accent, ide means hibernition . It's pronounced differently too, with the stress on the first vowel.

Btw, Nurv. What do you think of the Swedish keyboards?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 11-25-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #1631
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Swedish keyboards are awesome! They make typing ö å ä way easier, obviously. It's a bit of a pain on my Canadian keyboard.

å = alt + 0229
ä = alt + 0228
ö = alt + 0246

and I forget the codes fo Ö Å and Ä because I hardly ever use them. >_<

Å is such a pretty letter.

Sometime we should have a Swedish chat Jonathan. Are you on MSN?
Quote:
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #1632
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

hei alle sammen! dette var en artig tråd!

i would say that Norwegian is as simple as swedish. but it isn't that much differences
Old 11-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #1633
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nowegian has this spiffy o - ø while Swedish does not (contrary to the subtitles of Monty Python )

How do you pronounce it?

It's alt + 0248 on your numberpad for those of you without a Norwegian keyboard.
Quote:
Old 11-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #1634
Jonathan

Quote:
Sometime we should have a Swedish chat Jonathan. Are you on MSN?
Yes I am. Having a Swedish chat would be fun

Quote:
Nowegian has this spiffy o - ø while Swedish does not (contrary to the subtitles of Monty Python )

How do you pronounce it?

It's alt + 0248 on your numberpad for those of you without a Norwegian keyboard.
ø is the Norwegians' way of saying ö
Old 11-25-2004, 11:27 AM   #1635
Pytt

but in swedish you don't have the æ letter...?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #1636
Jonathan

No, and you don't have the ä letter, but æ and ä are still the same.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #1637
jerseydevil

Quote:
Swedish keyboards are awesome! They make typing ö å ä way easier, obviously. It's a bit of a pain on my Canadian keyboard.

å = alt + 0229
ä = alt + 0228
ö = alt + 0246

and I forget the codes fo Ö Å and Ä because I hardly ever use them. >_<

Å is such a pretty letter.
I don't use the alt codes when I do swedish or any other language. I just set up the keyboards through control panel on windows and a little icon is placed on the bottom of the screen and I can just select which language I want to type in. So for me this is what I type when I want to type swedish...

å = [
ö = ;
ä = '

Å = {
Ö = :
Ä = "

I have my computer set so I can type in english, swedish, french, spanish and russian.

BTW - it's the pronunciation that I find difficult with Swedish. Grammar to me isn't all that difficult - in most respects Swedish is easier than any other language I have attempted to study. I always feel it's extremely important to get the pronunciation down though when first learning a language because it avoids picking up bad habits. I'm sure I can learn swedish in no time if I just pronunced everything with an american pronuciation. The vowels sound so similar to each other in Swedish - I have to listen over and over to the cd on how those sound so I can pick up the differences.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-25-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #1638
Pytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
No, and you don't have the ä letter, but æ and ä are still the same.
yes, that I know. I wondered if you used one of them.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #1639
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
I'm sure I can learn swedish in no time if I just pronunced everything with an american pronuciation.
Oh, and I bet you'd be understood too.

Quote:
The vowels sound so similar to each other in Swedish - I have to listen over and over to the cd on how those sound so I can pick up the differences.
I think so too. I still can't really differentiation between 'i' and 'y' properly.

JD, I change my keyboard settings too but it drives me nuts, with the keys in different places! Especially when you use the Swedish one with one person and English with other people --> frustrating stuff.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:16 AM   #1640
jerseydevil

I was wondering if there are any rules for determining if a vowel should be long or short. In english there are mostly some rules - like a vowel followed by "e" - like safe. Or is this just a matter of actually hearing the words and memorizing them?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread