Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #141
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
...Americans hear Anti-USA comments all the time, do you see us crying... no. I had no problem with Europe and Canada before, but after reading this message board for a few months I'm dissapointed and have changed my mentality towards Europe and everywhere else outside the U.S. in general. What I find most amusing is how everyone is so quick put down the U.S. and how often they overlook all the good things America has done....
I've been to Germany and a few other places in Europe. And I have been many times to Canada. Not everyone puts down the US.

As a matter of fact the German people were very nice to me when I visited. If I asked direction, even with my horible German, they were so nice and understanding.

And I think Canadians are just jealous.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #142
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I've been to Germany and a few other places in Europe. And I have been many times to Canada. Not everyone puts down the US.

As a matter of fact the German people were very nice to me when I visited. If I asked direction, even with my horible German, they were so nice and understanding.

And I think Canadians are just jealous.

I know I sort of generalized that, not all do are like that.... but I just hate it when people are so quick to judge something/someone and put them down.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #143
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

LOL dude,that apology is uncool.......
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #144
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Ararax
actually irish beer (harp, guinness) is much better then english to, as well as german (louenbrau) aaah cherry beer if you havent tried it you havent lived
And Belgian beer tops it all!
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:01 PM   #145
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
South Africans don't have accents?!?

....Then comes non-regional British and New Zealanders .
Then comes general Brits and Australians.
Ah, the good ol' neutral kiwi accent. Somebody shoot me now. Actually, the best accent I've heard so far has been the South African accent - it's so much more precise sounding than Aussie whine/British slur/kiwi mumble.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:01 PM   #146
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Ragnarok - This is nothing. You sould have seen it last year. At least this thread is just fooling around. But if you look in the past threads you'll see people accusing us of being a war mongering people, letting people die because of not having national health care, we're the source of all the problems in the Middle East, that there is violence all over our streets and everyone has a gun and that our aim is to take over the world.

But I was like you - I was way more understanding and liked over countries a lot more before I saw how many people had this displaced anger toward the US. If they want us to give them respect - then they have to show us respect.

One thing that annoys me are Americans apologising for us doing things differently than Europe.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #147
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Any player of any worth goes to the NFL. The CFL is just the scrubs that couldn't make it in the NFL. And you know that to be true.
so, it makes for more action, and its harder with less downs then the NFL

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM   #148
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Grow up, boo hoo someone throws a few comments about Canada so what? Americans hear Anti-USA comments all the time, do you see us crying... no. I had no problem with Europe and Canada before, but after reading this message board for a few months I'm dissapointed and have changed my mentality towards Europe and everywhere else outside the U.S. in general. What I find most amusing is how everyone is so quick put down the U.S. and how often they overlook all the good things America has done. I thought the people of Canada, Europe or where ever you live were better than that. But you all proved me wrong.

its all a joke, you would have known that if you paid attention to the posts in the Canadian tuff/Foxthread. Its sort of an eastern Canada vs Western Canada thingy

Lemmings

Swron

Old 06-18-2003, 05:27 PM   #149
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
its all a joke, you would have known that if you paid attention to the posts in the Canadian tuff/Foxthread. Its sort of an eastern Canada vs Western Canada thingy
Thats great but i was reffering to all anti-american post on Entmoot and not just to this thread. And I'm not on this message board enough to keep up with every thread. Yes, i realize some of it is joking but it isn't all the time.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #150
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Thats great but i was reffering to all anti-american post on Entmoot and not just to this thread. And I'm not on this message board enough to keep up with every thread. Yes, i realize some of it is joking but it isn't all the time.
i aint serious about most of the stuff i ay about america, i have texan relatives after all, but when they start bashing Canada, ill bash America

Lemmings

Swron

Old 06-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #151
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
Its sort of an eastern Canada vs Western Canada thingy
Don't you mean: Ontario vs. BC thingy? And I blame all compitition on YOU!

And also (like Gullom, kind of implied), its not only Canadians that bash America. The competition has been going on way before I got here, and most of it is for fun, but generally when someone is ACTUALLy dissing the other country for real, the other country-ans will tend to get upset. *shrugs*
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #152
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
Don't you mean: Ontario vs. BC thingy? And I blame all compitition on YOU!
MOI (theres some french for you anitfrenchies), i did not. My teacher from Ontario told me taht, so i think Canadians prefer the west now

Lemmings

Swron

Old 06-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #153
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I know I sort of generalized that, not all do are like that.... but I just hate it when people are so quick to judge something/someone and put them down.
I do see your point. And I think that a lot of people have misconceptions about Americans elsewhere in the world. And I think it stems from people wanting to find someone to hate, someone to bash... because it makes whatever happens in their neck of the woods all that less bad.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:56 PM   #154
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Yes, that's right, I've skipped the last 2 pages :rolleyes:

Quote:
We may not hold our hands on our hearts when we sing Oh, Canada, we we are patriotic, because when we sing it...it almost brigs tears to my eyes thinking about it.
WE don't particularly put our right hands over our hearts for the Star Spangled Banner, we repectfully take off our hats.

We usually *me anyway* put our hands over our hearts to the 'For Liberty and Justice For All' tribute. WHILE we face an American Flag. (which is prettier than a red maple leaf)

Old 06-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #155
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Re: Yes, that's right, I've skipped the last 2 pages :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
We usually *me anyway* put our hands over our hearts to the 'For Liberty and Justice For All' tribute. WHILE we face an American Flag. (which is prettier than a red maple leaf)

hey, you can think your flag is the coolest, but it isnt. Speaking of flags, when my dog got its hair cut, the persin put a bandana on hime covered with little candian flags. it looks funny whe he walks around

Lemmings

Swron

Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #156
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Re: Yes, that's right, I've skipped the last 2 pages :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
(which is prettier than a red maple leaf)
Do you know how hard it is (to me, anyway) to fit ALL 50 stars and 13 strips into a rectangle, if it is less then 5 by 6 inches?

We don't bother to buy my dog nice bandana's anymore becuase he just eats them . But I wish he wouldn't becasue when he walks down the street with his choke chain, collar, and Gentle Leader (which looks like a muzzle) on he looks so feroceous (Sp?) )
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #157
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Re: Re: Yes, that's right, I've skipped the last 2 pages :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
Do you know how hard it is (to me, anyway) to fit ALL 50 stars and 13 strips into a rectangle, if it is less then 5 by 6 inches?

We don't bother to buy my dog nice bandana's anymore becuase he just eats them . But I wish he wouldn't becasue when he walks down the street with his choke chain, collar, and Gentle Leader (which looks like a muzzle) on he looks so feroceous (Sp?) )

gentle leaders??? we call them halties here

EDIT:that is if we are talking about the same thing

Lemmings

Swron

Last edited by gollum9630 : 06-18-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #158
Ruinel
Banned

Personally, I think the bandanas on the dogs are cute/funny.

But hey... this is somewhat off topic. Where were we? Ah, yes... about to make FF the dearly departed FF.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:24 PM   #159
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

actually one time she put bows in my dogs hair. he looked like a chick!! so we took em out and made him into a man
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:03 PM   #160
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

That is great JD, those links prove nothing. You can find dozens of sites supporting whatever view you have.

My science textbook says that the magnetic SOUTH POLE is in canada - NOT THE MAGNETIC NORTH.

In fact, this makes sense.

How could the magnetic north pole be in canada, so close to the geographical noth pole? It is logical for the magnetic south pole to be in canada, and NOT the magnetic north.

I am no scientist though. The poles shift slightly every year.

I too, have found dozens of websites that say this -

http://isaac.exploratorium.edu/~paul...tic_globe.html

Quote:
Explorers who search for the place where a compass aligns itself straight up-and-down find the magnetic poles of the earth. One magnetic pole is currently in Canada more than 15 degrees of latitude from the geographic North Pole. Because of the way magnetic poles were originally named that pole is actually a magnetic south pole. Today, the other magnetic pole is off the coast of Antarctica. In 1913 the Australian Antarctic Expedition commanded by Douglas Mawson found the Antarctic magnetic pole on land. The magnetic poles of the earth move with time.
You all have search engines, so I won't bother with the links

another site:
Quote:
Compass needles line up with magnetic fields. Since the earth is a magnet, a compass will normally line up with the earth's magnetic field. Because opposite magnetic poles attract, the magnetic north pole of the compass points toward the magnetic south pole of the earth. (The magnetic south pole of the earth is located in northern Canada! That is not a misprint. The south pole of the earth magnet is near the geographic north pole.)
and another site:
Quote:
The magnet poles of Earth are close to the geographic poles of the Earth but not the same. The magnet pole in the northern hemisphere is about 1400 miles from the geographic north pole in Bathurst Island in northernmost Canada. The magnet pole in the southern hemisphere is about 1400 miles from the geographic south pole in Wilkes Land in Antarctica.

The magnetic pole located in the south is actually the magnetic north pole and the magnetic pole located in the north is actually the magnetic south pole.

And then of course there was the quote I posted earlier from my SCIENCE TEXT BOOK. 1. I am not a scientist. 2. neither are you JD, or gollum, or you, GM (i dont think so). 3. im more willing to take the word of my SCIENCE TEACHER AND TEXT BOOK over you, especially since this was a question on a MAJOR EXAM. 4. magnetic north pole in canada makes NO SENSE. 5. it is a common mistake - people refer to the magnetic south pole as the magnetic north pole, which is not the case.

There is where the confusion lies I think. The magnetic south and north pole cannot both be in canada folks!

I have NOT done extensive research on this - maybe I and my trusty textbook are wrong. Ok, thats great. But practically all these websites just contradict eachother. can i hear from a scientist on this issue?

I have never heard of Baffin Island, but if a compass points to it, then it is magnetic south , not north.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote