Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2003, 07:08 AM   #141
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

This spoiler is for azalea. Please do not read it Lizra, you will be offended, guaranteed. Anyone else is free to read at your own risk!:
BTW: I can't believe you edited the story about Aragorn blowing Sauron's teeth out of the back of his skull with two .45's. That was pure art!
Your name is perfect.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 AM   #142
Ruinel
Banned

I warned you.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #143
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

With sauron afraid of anduril when it's far away, why would he actually confront it himself? Not that logical.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:54 AM   #144
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
If you believe that conventional wisdom was that the characters were too hokey, then I can only conclude that "huge Tolkien fan" could only mean you are morbidly obese.
Quit flaming me and actually consider what I said for a change. Yes, conventional wisdom was that the characters (particularly furry-footed little hobbits) were too corney, hokey, hayseed, however you want to describe it for "modern" audiences. You have a main character who calls his boss "Master" and who often holds his hand, you have characters of different sizes (think Willow), lots of talking, singing and high sounding language, and countless male characters and a couple of women. To top it all off, it's a story with real values involved, "there's good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!" Does this sound like a sure-fire blockbuster hollywood movie to you?

Last edited by Black Breathalizer : 05-14-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:19 AM   #145
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Heh. You sure you read the books, BB? Cause I don't think that line was in them.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #146
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Quit flaming me and actually consider what I said for a change.
Don't be "selfish and niave[sic]". I wouldn't flame anymore than you would.

Quote:
Yes, conventional wisdom was that the characters (particularly furry-footed little hobbits) were too corney, hokey, hayseed, however you want to describe it for "modern" audiences. You have a main character who calls his boss "Master" and who often holds his hand, you have characters of different sizes (think Willow), lots of talking, singing and high sounding language, and countless male characters and a couple of women. To top it all off, it's a story with real values involved, "there's good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for!" Does this sound like a sure-fire blockbuster hollywood movie to you?
Hey, I liked WIllow. "I don't love her. She kicked me in the face!" Yeah, I guess you're right. Who would ever be interested in a story about Hobbits. By your standards I'd guess you think Spiderman and Titanic were much better movies than LotR.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 05-14-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:31 AM   #147
Gwaimir Windgem

-snicker- Better than the book, maybe, but NEVER than the movie.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-14-2003, 10:35 AM   #148
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Quit flaming me [/i]
You shouldn't be talking!

Did someone hear a baby cry?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #149
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel

And just for the record, my butt is sore from being the only one gettin' spanked in this thread. hint, hint!!!!!!
I edited at least one other person's post, and my warning above was for everyone. I'm sorry I had to single you out, but your posts were the ones that kept crossing that fine line.

Quote:
This spoiler is for azalea. Please do not read it Lizra, you will be offended, guaranteed. Anyone else is free to read at your own risk!:
BTW: I can't believe you edited the story about Aragorn blowing Sauron's ***** out of the back of his ***** with two .45's. That was pure art!
Sigh. *Looks backwards over hunched shoulder* "Why do you trouble an already troubled mod?" I think anyone who reads that can see why I edited it. That's R rated violence if I ever saw it.
You are obviously someone who is able to effectively argue her points without flaming, etc. Just keep doing it like that and everything will be fine.
Others here have mastered the fine art of roundabout flaming, where they post something that is ambiguous enough that I have no solid reason to edit/ reprimand.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #150
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I'd just like to say that, for the record, I haven't flamed BB yet.

Oh, no. If it ever comes to that, I'm going to start recruiting people from the VNBoards and reduce him to a pure carbon cinder.

That said...

Breathalizer has consistently demonstrated a poor understanding of Tolkien and Middle Earth, and an equally poor understading of the laws of storytelling and narrative. He has defended the capricious, arrogant, and completely unjustified changes to Tolkien's work. When confronted, he has repeatedly dodged behind unjustified assertions that the changes were 'nescessary for making a film' even though they clearly are not. He has continually behaved in an insulting, arrogant manner, and repeatedly made offensive comments about the large majority of people here who disagree with him.

I remember quite clearly one of the first conversations I had with Afro Elf. It's notable to say that, although I consider him a friend, I was at that time more harsh in argument with him than I have yet been with BB. In any case, I said (in edited form):

Quote:
You are not one tenth the author tolkien was.

Any changes made to the lord of the rings...would invariably suck.

Attempting to 'improve' something as perfect as Middle Earth (is stupid)
His reply was notable:

Quote:
I never compared myself to Tolkien.
Only a fool or someone imbued with hubris would do so.
Jackson and Breathalizer have.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 05-14-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #151
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I edited at least one other person's post, and my warning above was for everyone. I'm sorry I had to single you out, but your posts were the ones that kept crossing that fine line.
I'm working on it... I'm working on it....

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
That's R rated violence if I ever saw it.
Ah... well... *thinks*... maybe... I suppose you're right... but it was still art.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
....If it ever comes to that, I'm going to start recruiting people from the VNBoards and reduce him to a pure carbon cinder.
*jumps up and down, raising hand* Oh, me... me... me!!!! *observes glare from Azalea and Lizra* uh... never mind.... *sheepishly sits down and lowers eyes obediently*
Old 05-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #152
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ñólendil
...you have fallen in with a purist You find them in hordes on the Middle-earth Vault, where Wayfarer and I were born...Changing the Lord of the Rings or coming up with things to change is naturally quite alien to our thought.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:45 PM   #153
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Oh, no. If it ever comes to that, I'm going to start recruiting people from the VNBoards and reduce him to a pure carbon cinder.
Bring 'em on the 'moot.........the place could do with a good clean-out.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #154
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*reads Sween's opening post*
No, he wouldn't do that, would he?

*remembers Arwen's MOVIE line : "you'll face the same enemy, you poor little weak man running from your heritage who needs a buff she-elf to stiffen his spine, and you'll defeat him"*
OH....MY.....GOODNESS.....
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
If you believe that conventional wisdom was that the characters were too hokey, then I can only conclude that "huge Tolkien fan" could only mean you are morbidly obese.
Too funny, Cirdan!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-14-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #155
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
[BToo funny, Cirdan! [/B]
heh heh Does anyone remember how to put out a grease fire?)

But seriously, it is perverse logic to say that PJ made the story popular, when it was Tolkien that made the movies poplular. Was anyone breathlessly awaiting PJ's next release before LotR? Are you on the edge of your seat for his remake of King Kong? This will be the work of his life and he owes a great deal of thanks to JRRT and his loyal armies of purists for spreading the buzz and buying tickets, DVDs, etcetera. Otherwise his work would go largely unnoticed.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #156
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
*reads Sween's opening post*
No, he wouldn't do that, would he?

*remembers Arwen's MOVIE line : "you'll face the same enemy, you poor little weak man running from your heritage who needs a buff she-elf to stiffen his spine, and you'll defeat him"*
OH....MY.....GOODNESS.....
*sigh*
Hehehe. Most amusing.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #157
Cirdan

heheh yah. I think maybe mAragorn (movie Aragorn) is running from something besides his heritage. "No, really, Galadriel. I want her to go to Valinor."

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #158
Ruinel
Banned

Maybe mAragorn (movie Aragorn) is running from the fangirls.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #159
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

edited by azalea: after some thought I edited out this post on the basis that it was off topic, contained flaming, and was mainly based on a misunderstanding.

Thank you Azalea

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 05-17-2003 at 11:36 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #160
Ruinel
Banned

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-15-2003 at 09:53 PM.