Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #141
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

He stole the cheerleader chorus crap from the song "Be aggressive".

You know, Manson gets covered quite a bit on Mainstream Tv and radio himself you know. So your arguements that the Chilis are overplayed apply to him as well.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #142
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
He stole the cheerleader chorus crap from the song "Be aggressive".

You know, Manson gets covered quite a bit on Mainstream Tv and radio himself you know. So your arguements that the Chilis are overplayed apply to him as well.
not to mention they never should have touched I Put A Spell On You. I mean its an untouchable song in my opinion and to have them do it in their mickey mouse goth opera style its like hearing a kazoo version of Bach or something. Just a tragedy all around.

But Millane I really think you do yourself a diservice by trying to prove Manson is a good band by saying the Chili Peppers arent. Why do that?? Why mention them at all? And if you are just "responding" to someone else about them then dont. The Chili Peppers are a proven commodity. Focus on Manson if thats your thing NOT on trying to prove the worth of one artist by cutting on another. Youll end up losing on both accounts. If you want to try stressing the artistic merits of marlyn manson then go ahead and do that since you have the knowledge to. But saying oh Manson is good cause the chili peppers suck makes you look foolish and the argument doesnt work.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 AM   #143
Millane
The Dude

IR... 2 seperate opinions which have sorta both become relavant as the debate has now turned to whether MM is better than chilli peppers
Quote:
not to mention they never should have touched I Put A Spell On You.
im not the biggest fan of that song myself yet he does seem to do covers quite well. this is one 'bad' one...
Quote:
yeah well i can only talk about Aust. and i have heard RHCP so much that a can near on sing all the 'music'... the only time i have actually heard MM on the radio in the past year was Disposable Teens and on the TV on Rage the person who did it put in about 4 hours of MM and a bit of NIN...
Quote:
Wow have you even read any of my previous post. I said my views are exactly the same to that MM review which include this you loser: repetitive riffs, irritating filtered vocals, and typically sub-dued, quasi-industrial "beats", all amounting to what appears to be some wimpy attempt at a heavy industrial-goth hybrid.
ohhh im sorry i just thought you might have had some sort of evidence of your own as opposed to being a parrot but apparently not
Quote:
Wow, that was pathetic on your part, your lacking originality just like MM. Insult us because you can't make a decent argument.
uhhh now im starting to wonder whether you have read any of your previous posts because either you havent or you were just too plain stupid to pick up that my insult was pretty much the same generalisation as that reviewer whom you share all opinions with...
Quote:
MM lyrics sucks in general, the lyrics are something I could have written in 8th grade. The words rhyme but any kid can do that. look at the pattern: die, Eye, die, Eye, away, pay, away, pay. See what I mean Repeitive, am I suprised.... no.
ahhhh ok no he repeats the chorus good on you
Old 06-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #144
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ohhh im sorry i just thought you might have had some sort of evidence of your own as opposed to being a parrot but apparently not
Ok, here you go his music is broken, ceaseless, over-wrought grade C industrial crap. Not to mention his stupid boy-on-a-mission lyrical rants. Its like listening to PG-13 Christian Death or a kiddie version of GG Allin.

Quote:
uhhh now im starting to wonder whether you have read any of your previous posts because either you havent or you were just too plain stupid to pick up that my insult was pretty much the same generalisation as that reviewer whom you share all opinions with...
Really... gee was that what your insult was? I didn't pick up on that one. Maybe when I said your were lacking originality, that would have given you the first clue, that I understood your pathetic attempt as an insult. And I like the opinions of the reviewer because hes knows more about guitar's technically etc... than me. I don't play any instruments so I don't know alot of the terms, nor do I reallt care to learn them.

Quote:
ahhhh ok no he repeats the chorus good on you
My mouth was a crib and it was growing lies,
I didnt know what, love was on that day,
My hearts a tiny bloodclot, i picked at it,
it never heals it never goes away.

I burned all the good things in the Eden Eye,
we were to dumb to run, to dead to die,
I burned all the good things in the Eden Eye,
we were to dumb to run, to dead to die.
This was never my world, you took the angel away,
i'd kill myself to make everybody pay,
this was never my world, you took the angel away,
i'd kill myself to make everybody pay.

Hrmmmm that looks like most of the song to me twat, he keeps repeating himself, wow.

And you know what, I am still waiting for your proof to the claim of your opinion, that RHCP sucks.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:49 PM   #145
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
And you know what, I am still waiting for your proof to the claim of your opinion, that RHCP sucks.
all right you two take it to a ring or something. i thought this was a guitar thread. and it sounds more like this argument is about manson so why bring up the chili pepers at all in that regard. and its really in the end kind of silly to argue about musical taste since its just that: TASTES. If someone can make a decent argument about the artistic merit of ANY artist then Ill respect that. Even if I dont like the artist. But its hard to fight about opinion dont you think?

Old 06-25-2003, 01:50 PM   #146
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
yeah well i can only talk about Aust. and i have heard RHCP so much that a can near on sing all the 'music'... the only time i have actually heard MM on the radio in the past year was Disposable Teens and on the TV on Rage the person who did it put in about 4 hours of MM and a bit of NIN...
In the UK Manson's videos are circualated regularly throughout the numourous channels, in promotion for the new album he makes numourous mainstream appearances such as Top of the Pops and a lot of chat shows things.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #147
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
all right you two take it to a ring or something. i thought this was a guitar thread. and it sounds more like this argument is about manson so why bring up the chili pepers at all in that regard. and its really in the end kind of silly to argue about musical taste since its just that: TASTES. If someone can make a decent argument about the artistic merit of ANY artist then Ill respect that. Even if I dont like the artist. But its hard to fight about opinion dont you think?
Yea, your right. I'm not even a big fan of RHCP but I just can't stand Manson.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:24 AM   #148
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
i would glady take it to the ring but as we dont happen to live near each other (or do we ) i think it will have to stay here... sure it is about tastes to some extent but if you can say that there is no difference in quality of music its all just tastes then i would have to say i dont agree. Nevertheless i will heed you comment on leaving RHCP coz although i think they are utter crap i am content to just keep it at MM...
Quote:
Ok, here you go his music is broken, ceaseless, over-wrought grade C industrial crap. Not to mention his stupid boy-on-a-mission lyrical rants. Its like listening to PG-13 Christian Death or a kiddie version of GG Allin.
ok you obviously have no idea of marilyn manson... i personally agree with him and satanism in general about christianity but if you wanna talk about that just PM me because i wouldnt want to offend any of our christian friends here... i dont think your in a position to comment on his music as its his recent stuff that is the quality music and each CD is entirely seperate from the previous... may i suggest that you listen to Mechanical Animals, Holywood and the Golden Age of Grotesque...
Quote:
Hrmmmm that looks like most of the song to me twat, he keeps repeating himself, wow.
wow thats not the whole song sorry but im sure if you listen to it instead of reading it then you will understand what im saying...
Quote:
Really... gee was that what your insult was? I didn't pick up on that one. Maybe when I said your were lacking originality, that would have given you the first clue, that I understood your pathetic attempt as an insult. And I like the opinions of the reviewer because hes knows more about guitar's technically etc... than me. I don't play any instruments so I don't know alot of the terms, nor do I reallt care to learn them.
no again you have missunderstood me so maybe if you care to ask what i mean instead of TWICE jumping to conclusions that seem logical in your simple mind, i was merely having a go at the reviewer generalisation and how pathetic that was (i do find the RHCP fans that i know are wankers though)
Quote:
yes well ill just tell you MY opinion, no need to go look up someone elses. Firstly ill say that they do not seem to change any of there music they have gone mainstream for the worse with the latest album, there lyrics seem meaningless, they seem incapable of incorparating different instruments into there music, generally i dont think they have the skill to compose a good piece of music... some RHCP fan even said they have no image whatsoever (might have been you IR) and while it may not be a main component i think that is a reflection on there music...
Quote:
In the UK Manson's videos are circualated regularly throughout the numourous channels, in promotion for the new album he makes numourous mainstream appearances such as Top of the Pops and a lot of chat shows things.
yes well to an extent promotion of a new album is great (and something marilyn manson didnt recieve enough of) yet it has been over half a year at least since By the Way was released and it just doesnt let off. Interviews are another thing i would like to see a lot more of, especially since the RHCP dont appear to be very intelligent IMO unlike MM who is apparently a genius and who has things worthwile to say....
Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #149
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
i would glady take it to the ring but as we dont happen to live near each other (or do we ) ok you obviously have no idea of marilyn manson...I dont think your in a position to comment on his music as its his recent stuff that is the quality music and each CD is entirely seperate from the previous... may i suggest that you listen to Mechanical Animals, Holywood and the Golden Age of Grotesque...
Haha, I like it when people get all upset over stupid crap in a forum. By the way, I'm 17 male, 165 lbs and play lacrosse, lift wegihts everyday. If your under 18 let me know. (By the way I'm not your typical tolkien fan)

ok you obviously have no idea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers...I dont think your in a position to comment on their music as its their earlier stuff that is the quality music and each CD is entirely seperate from the previous... may i suggest that you listen to Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, One Hot Minute ...

Quote:
no again you have missunderstood me so maybe if you care to ask what i mean instead of TWICE jumping to conclusions that seem logical in your simple mind, i was merely having a go at the reviewer generalisation and how pathetic that was (i do find the RHCP fans that i know are wankers though)
I knew you were using that generalization to show how stupid, untrue and foolish it sounded. I'm not that dumb.

Quote:
yes well ill just tell you MY opinion, no need to go look up someone elses. Firstly ill say that they do not seem to change any of there music they have gone mainstream for the worse with the latest album, there lyrics seem meaningless, ... some RHCP fan even said they have no image whatsoever (might have been you IR) and while it may not be a main component i think that is a reflection on there music...
Really, like i said earlier why don't you look up some of their better stuff and stop basing your thoughts off their latest album. You will find better lyrics and all.

Quote:
they seem incapable of incorparating different instruments into there music, generally i dont think they have the skill to compose a good piece of music
Really, tell me why does RHCP have a unique sound that no one else even sounds close to? It must be bcause they can't play other instruments. If RHCP can distinguish themselves alone from others using drums, guitars, and bass then I applaud them. The only thing makes MM stand out is his irritating voice and not the music. And By what definition are you claiming good piece of music...??? Lets base it on guitar, drum, bass technicallity: MM won't win their.

(Just for the record I'm not a huge RHCP fan)

I'm done arguing with you, obviously have different standards for music then me so why bother?

Last edited by Ragnarok : 06-26-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #150
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
i was merely having a go at the reviewer generalisation and how pathetic that was (i do find the RHCP fans that i know are wankers though)
That is funny because (i do find the MM fans that i know are goths though)

Old 06-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #151
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
sure it is about tastes to some extent but if you can say that there is no difference in quality of music its all just tastes then i would have to say i dont agree.
Quality is purely subjective though. In the end theres really no logical measure you can use to prove one form of music is better then another. you can feel in your gut that all pop is just utter and complete drivel. You can see that its just about selling CDs and there is no level display of obvious musical talent involved BUT when it comes down to it people still like it and whos to say this is good and that is bad. its simply subjective. Now that being said a third grader making art is quite different from a Rembrant making art but its ALL ART. Understand?

Took me along time to come to this conclusion myself. As there are some forms of music I simply despise. But art is art no matter how dispicable it may be to you and I.

Quote:
Nevertheless i will heed you comment on leaving RHCP coz although i think they are utter crap i am content to just keep it at MM...
um thats called getting a cheap shot in at the bell I believe.

Quote:
yes well ill just tell you MY opinion, no need to go look up someone elses.
Hmm the moritorium on the Chilis didnt last long I see. So back into the fray.... *stage dives into the crowd like Anthony Kiedis*

Quote:
Firstly ill say that they do not seem to change any of there music
but thats ludicrous. Their sound is the definition of eclectic mixing of styles and variations. Who fused punk and funk and rap and hard rock and a few other things in the mid 80s? Who did that? Nobody. And each album they have made has rebounded from one extreme to the other. Kiedis's influences change year to year and their band make up has changed dramatically enough in the past 20 years that they simply couldnt sound the same the whole time. You need to go back and actually listen to their stuff. Not just the one or two songs on the radio from their recent album.

Quote:
they have gone mainstream for the worse with the latest album
Yeah I dont like this album either. And Ive been saying that since it came out. Its a big disapointment. Not really sure what they were thinking. I almost thought it was a product of their twisted sense of humor at first. But its silly for you to judge their whole career based on one album (and on a few songs from that album that you hear on the radio). Its the same as other judging manson based on one or two songs wouldnt you say....

Quote:
there lyrics seem meaningless
Have you listened to songs like Soul to Squeeze and Breaking The Girl? I mean I dont see where you get off saying all their lyrics are meaningless. and even if they were why would that matter at all? is music just about lyrics? Kurt Cobain wrote some pieces that are untouched in their artistic merrit and his lyrics were often random and confusing and echolaylic and ungraspable. But no one said oh Nirvana sucks cause their lyrics arent easy to understand like all the pop bands are. And Im guessing you arent much for instrumentals.

Quote:
they seem incapable of incorparating different instruments into there music
so music is only good if you add lots of instruments? Well heres hoping the Chili Pepers never incorporate drum tracks and synthesizers into their stuff. Im kinda partial to the three or four band member approach to things. Seems like groups like Led Zeppelin and Cream and such, both of whom were considered masters of their instruments, had the same kinda idea as the chilis: get decent instrumentalists with talent who can come together and make something bigger then just the sum of their parts and who can jam anywhere anytime as good as anyone. the test of a truly good band is can they jam. can they be spontanious. or is everything forumlaic and scripted ahead of time. The chilis can jam. If youve ever seen any of their shows youll notice each one is very different from each other. Thats pretty rare in this day and age.

Quote:
generally i dont think they have the skill to compose a good piece of music...
And yet theyve composed many good pieces of music. Try listening to some of them.

Quote:
some RHCP fan even said they have no image whatsoever (might have been you IR) and while it may not be a main component i think that is a reflection on there music...
A band that simply rides an image is behind the curve in my opinion. A band that can play and doesnt care about image is going in the right direction. So i hardly see this as a problem at all. Some of the best bands of all time never had a gimic they had to play in order to attract fans. They just played and the music did the trick. I would really get away from confusing talent with image.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:59 PM   #152
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Image can be exciting (Sex Pistols, The Shangri-Las) but it doesn't have much to do with musical ability! Image would be low on my list of requirements for being considered "Best Guitarists of All Time" !
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #153
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
yes well ill just tell you MY opinion, no need to go look up someone elses. Firstly ill say that they do not seem to change any of there music they have gone mainstream for the worse with the latest album, there lyrics seem meaningless, they seem incapable of incorparating different instruments into there music, generally i dont think they have the skill to compose a good piece of music... some RHCP fan even said they have no image whatsoever (might have been you IR) and while it may not be a main component i think that is a reflection on there music...
Firstly, RHCP have been considered popular since the early 90's so whatever sound they choose for their latest would still sell and be mainstream.

They are a four piece rock band, thats their texture and sound. How is inserting other instruments into their compostions make it better? Thats like saying Beethoven was lame for making the Moonight Sonata a solo piano piece and not making it more textured.

Of course they have skill and knowledge to compose music, Flea was taught how to read and understand music by his Jazz musician father and John Frusciente obviously knows his theory, look at any interview and he'll get into quite complex shop talk.

Quote:
yes well to an extent promotion of a new album is great (and something marilyn manson didnt recieve enough of) yet it has been over half a year at least since By the Way was released and it just doesnt let off. Interviews are another thing i would like to see a lot more of, especially since the RHCP dont appear to be very intelligent IMO unlike MM who is apparently a genius and who has things worthwile to say....
Em, a few examples of their apparent idiocy please? MM seems to me as if he's a psuedo intellectual, I could be wrong though, he might be sincere.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:49 PM   #154
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

LOL...........hi,Comic book guy..............

I say Jon Foreman of Switchfoot.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #155
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Hmm the moritorium on the Chilis didnt last long I see. So back into the fray.... *stage dives into the crowd like Anthony Kiedis*
well im sorry but we were halfway through a debate and im just supposed to stop without replying??? that would be downright rude it seems as if you have just done what i did and replied to me... but i will just reply to the MM related replies instead or resorting back to having a go at RHCP as fun as it is
Quote:
Haha, I like it when people get all upset over stupid crap in a forum. By the way, I'm 17 male, 165 lbs and play lacrosse, lift wegihts everyday. If your under 18 let me know. (By the way I'm not your typical tolkien fan)
hahahaha idiot im not being serious because unless we just happen to fall upon each other by chance we will never meet... haha i like it when people try and act tough sitting at a computer screen, seems as if you just wanted an excuse to let the world know what a toughnut you are (hahaha lacrosse im wetting my pants )
Quote:
I knew you were using that generalization to show how stupid, untrue and foolish it sounded. I'm not that dumb.
well you see i think that you are coz it didnt seem to me as if you did understand that i was having a go at the stupid reviewer but rather making a poor attempt of an insult at RHCP fans...
Quote:
Lets base it on guitar, drum, bass technicallity: MM won't win their.
i think you will find that Ginger Fish is unparralled today on drums but even more important is the musical skill of Marilyn Manson, Twiggy Ramirez, Tim Skold, Ginger Fish, John 5 and Trent Reznor in terms of composing great music and not just playing it.
Quote:
That is funny because (i do find the MM fans that i know are goths though)
and your point is, coz of the people i know of who are MM fans only one was a goth and there was nothing wrong with her she was one of the most intelligent people at school, a brilliant artist, friendly and had a good sense of humor. see being gothic is done by choice, being a wanker is not a good thing whereas being a goth is neither here nor there, could you please explain what you were trying to get at?
Quote:
A band that simply rides an image is behind the curve in my opinion. A band that can play and doesnt care about image is going in the right direction. So i hardly see this as a problem at all. Some of the best bands of all time never had a gimic they had to play in order to attract fans. They just played and the music did the trick. I would really get away from confusing talent with image.
dont worry i wont talk about RHCP i will just try and clear up something that was not so clear perhaps. first of all theres no need for me to stop confusing image with talent because i wasnt. "some RHCP fan even said they have no image whatsoever (might have been you IR) and while it may not be a main component i think that is a reflection on there music..." now what i was trying to say was there lack of image was a reflection on there music and a minor part yet something worth considering.
Quote:
They are a four piece rock band, thats their texture and sound. How is inserting other instruments into their compostions make it better? Thats like saying Beethoven was lame for making the Moonight Sonata a solo piano piece and not making it more textured.
ohhh by no means does it make there music crap but i think the better musicians can do the norm and more... Marilyn Manson is way better than Beethoven anyway
Quote:
Em, a few examples of their apparent idiocy please? MM seems to me as if he's a psuedo intellectual, I could be wrong though, he might be sincere.
ohhh i was watching some interview with them and i dont know if they were just too doped up to say anything intelligent or they really where that stupid ill ask my friend what it was and when they got there award at the MTV music awards (i think ) again they just sat in there room and banged drums... as for MM he is very intelligent and i cant really see why he comes across to you in that way

Last edited by Millane : 06-29-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #156
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
ohhh by no means does it make there music crap but i think the better musicians can do the norm and more... Marilyn Manson is way better than Beethoven anyway
So superior musicans insert more instruments their work? Niccolo Paganni's caprices are all violin solos, lets see Manson write that kind of **** using as many instruments as he wants.

Better than Beethoven? Thats a joke, lets see what Beethoven can do that Warner can't.
  • Achieve perfect pitch reconition
  • He learnt how to sight-read flawlessly at age 10
  • Performed music in public at age 7
  • Write and compose music in his head without touching an instrument
  • Played Violin, Organ and Piano
  • Composed some of the worlds most important works
  • 32 Piano Sonatas
  • Accomplished the Miracle of composing while completely tone deaf

To my knowlege, Warner cannot even read music or could even explain basic music theory.

I saw the same footage at the music awards, they were just trying to be funny by doing a quiet bit/ loud bit sort of thing. It was the bassist Flea who was playing the drums by the way, he's very impressive.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:19 PM   #157
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

yo ,comic book guy,
why'd you lose your administrator position?...........

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 07:11 PM   #158
Comic Book Guy

I didn't lose it, I resigned from by my own free will.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:17 PM   #159
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:

hahahaha idiot im not being serious because unless we just happen to fall upon each other by chance we will never meet... haha i like it when people try and act tough sitting at a computer screen, seems as if you just wanted an excuse to let the world know what a toughnut you are (hahaha lacrosse im wetting my pants )
well you see i think that you are coz it didnt seem to me as if you did understand that i was having a go at the stupid reviewer but rather making a poor attempt of an insult at RHCP fans...
Ahh! Stop and smell the testosterone! Let's see, two pairs of wet pants! Diaper alert!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:16 AM   #160
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Hey Liz, you forgot to insert the farty noise.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote