Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #141
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They were playful and lightspoken in the flotsom and jetsom scene? "duh duh, I'm pippin " You think that after the way they acted there they have any business being Guard of the Citadel or Warrior of the Mark.
Yes I do. The Flotsam and Jetsam scene was nice imo, and I thought the "I'm taller than you" competition was funny. They were jesting a lot in the books too, you know. That doesn't mean they weren't serious when the situation called for it.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:27 PM   #142
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I think the last scene with Merry and Pippin was very overdone. They weren't exactly stupid, but like they'd breathed some sort of pleasure-gas (don't know what "lyst-gass" is in english)
Lauging gas? Anyway - Jackson continued to imply that Pipeweed was pot- even though Tolkien went through the entire history of Pipeweed. Jackson seems to like it to be pot - so he has all these pot jokes.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 05:30 PM   #143
Artanis

Oh - the presence of pipeweed in Isengard should imply that Saruman had some bad business going on in the Shire. But there will be no scouring.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #144
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Yes I do. The Flotsam and Jetsam scene was nice imo, and I thought the "I'm taller than you" competition was funny. They were jesting a lot in the books too, you know. That doesn't mean they weren't serious when the situation called for it.
They always have a dumb ass expression on their face. They never acted braindead in the books. As I said - it was more innocent than stupid. Look at the tent scene in the beginning of the movie. In the book - Merry and Pippin would not have been stupid enough to light a "rocket" in a tent.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-30-2003, 05:38 PM   #145
Artanis

Hehe - maybe not - but they would perhaps be eager enough, or drunk enough, to do it? I do not care about scenes like that, as long as they are reasonably in character. I don't see them as stupid in the movie. So far I think Pip and Merry have been overall well portrayed. Just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:49 PM   #146
jerseydevil

Quote:
Hehe - maybe not - but they would perhaps be eager enough, or drunk enough, to do it? I do not care about scenes like that, as long as they are reasonably in character. I don't see them as stupid in the movie. So far I think Pip and Merry have been overall well portrayed. Just my opinion.
I guess I have a different view - because Pippin and Merry were my favorite characters in the book. I thought it would be cool to be their friends. But the movie characters - I would want to just throw them through the wall or just leave them. They're so stupid and idiotic in the movie. They would quickly get on my nerves. Whereas in the book they were just carefree and innocent.

As another example of their stupidity - look at the Council of Elrond scene.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-30-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:36 PM   #147
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I agree Artanis, I like the way they are so far as well. Besides they have had serious scenes in the movie so far as well. In FotR, Merry got composed and banded everyone together to get Frodo out of the Shire. In TTT, Pippin says to Merry that maybe they should just go back to the shire, showing his "innocence", whereby Merry paints the bigger picture for him about how there "won't be a shire" left. Then later we see Pippin growing more and helping Treebeard rouse the Ents. Even though that is a deviation from the book, it helps show him growing.

Ultimately, the parts where Pippin has been a so-called "goof" and stuff like that just shows me his innocent youth and light hearted nature. Merry is more serious in the movies thus far than Pippin has been, and I think that's a direct result of the showing of their "hobbit ages" as they were in the book.

That's just a few things, but I still like their characters thus far. The only character I've had any problems with so far is Faramir, but not so much, because I like the way he redeemed himself in the end.

P.S. I also don't think Jackson is making the pipeweed to be pot, but that's just my opinion, I just think he is showing it as something that the hobbits value and love as something from home...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 11-30-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #148
jerseydevil

Well my opinion is that they are complete morons and completely annoying.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #149
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

i dont have the TT EE dvd (or reg TT dvd for that matter), should I get it?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:04 AM   #150
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

yes! offcourse you should! i'm wondering why you haven't bought it already but that's me.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #151
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, if you got the FotR EE and liked it better than the theatrical. Or you could always just rent it and see if you'd like to have it for your very own.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:49 PM   #152
Manveru
Elven Warrior

its soooo much better than the original
i hardly even watch the theatrical versions nemore, i always watch extended
cant wait for rotk ee
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote