Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 11:45 AM   #141
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

I will work at scanning a letter i wrote, and then you all can decipher it. That way I'll know if its any good it will probably be this weekekd though as I have a heavy work schedule the next two days.

Oh, my 's-curl is full round, like an upsidedown question mark.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:00 PM   #142
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Thanks Rian, but what I was talking about was the passagen english link. I have learned a bit of the quenya mode though, and I was just commenting that perhaps the Professor modeled this part of the English after the Quenyan. The discrepancy I discovered, was that in the english mode on the passagen link, characters 35 and 36 are suggested for use in dipthongs, but in the other link you posted at the beginning of the thread it has them listed as 'not used' (or something to that effect, for some reason this school computer won't let me go to the site). I was wondering which was correct. If we do accept them for dipthongs, then I'm pretty sure what I posted is right.

p.s.- I'm glad you like my avatar. I got it from a gif animation web site.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #143
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Thanks Rian, but what I was talking about was the passagen english link. I have learned a bit of the quenya mode though, and I was just commenting that perhaps the Professor modeled this part of the English after the Quenyan. The discrepancy I discovered, was that in the english mode on the passagen link, characters 35 and 36 are suggested for use in dipthongs, but in the other link you posted at the beginning of the thread it has them listed as 'not used' (or something to that effect, for some reason this school computer won't let me go to the site). I was wondering which was correct. If we do accept them for dipthongs, then I'm pretty sure what I posted is right.
I'm sure you're right, but I can't seem to find where it suggests to use them as diphthongs *sigh - too many links!* or where it says 'not used' - I'll have to grab up the whole bunch of printouts and re-peruse them. And now you've made me think about why I didn't use #35 and #36, too!

Thinking back to when I first decided to learn this stuff, I think that I was just so intrigued with putting vowel marks over a tengwa (because it's so unlike English) that I think I just decided to only use the over-the-top vowel marks. Then, since I never in my wildest dreams ever thought that I would be talking Tengwar with anyone else, I just totally forgot about #35 and #36. So I would agree that if we use them for diphthongs, then your version is right. But, so are my 5 versions, wouldn't you agree? And that's part of the fun of it for me, that it's very individual, but as long as we all know the letter assignments, we can read each other's writing. I hope we can see some of yours soon - how's it coming?

S- update : I've just about decided to ditch the #30 for s and use #29 instead - I found that if I start at the bottom part and curve up and to the left, I like how it looks. If I start at the top and go down, it just ends up looking like a '6'. How are you s's, katya?

ps - I hope I'm not coming off like a total know-it-all here. I am having SO much fun in this thread, and I'm just thrilled to be discussing this subject with knowledgeable people (especially when I really should be doing something else, like the laundry ). I've gone thru a lot of the footwork in finding links already, so I'm just trying to save you guys some work. I remember being really confused about something, then finding an answer in a link somewhere else that totally explained it, so I'm trying to give you guys the benefit of what I have learned from all of my mistakes. Plus I've done lots of technical writing in my career, and I tend to write kind of formally. Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere! And PM me if I get obnoxious

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-03-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:34 PM   #144
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, I just found the diphthong reference - it's right under the chart!! DUH! And then the imaginet link says that they are just alternates for 'y' (#35) and 'w' (#36). Oh well, I guess that's just Tolkien - the guy had so many inventions flying around in his head that there he never got around to really nailing down some of the smaller details. And I think the English mode was just a quick little side thing. I imagine he was much more interested in the Quenyan and Sindarin Tengwar. Although he did write the LoTR title page inscriptions in English mode.

Did you see the Tolkien letter #118 attachment, Menelvagor? Even there he made what look like some mistakes to me (see my post a little while back). But I absolutely love his s-curls!! And it's so fun to see an actual letter that he wrote. What a guy!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #145
Rían

OK, this one's for Sister Golden Hair Can anyone translate for her? (SGH, I'll translate later on tonight if no one else gets to it). It's a little scrap of paper I found blowing in the wind....
Attached Images
File Type: gif nargo3b.gif (9.7 KB, 27 views)

Old 10-04-2002, 07:54 PM   #146
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Hmm. I was just reading the Silmarillion, and I noticed some Tengwar on the top of the title page. It's in English mode, except that it was apparently written by Chris Tolkien, so that what we've been using as e and i, he uses as i and e, respectively. Kinda confusing. I'll post it either later tonight or tomorrow!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 10:17 PM   #147
Snowdog

Gimli

How is this
for Tengwar???
Old 10-05-2002, 12:19 AM   #148
Rían

Them ain't no "crude Tengwar scratches"!!! That looks really nice

Old 10-05-2002, 12:43 AM   #149
Rían

OK, here's the translation of the attachment for SGH:

Top Part :
Ohio edition, the Nargothrond News, est. FA52

Middle part :
issue number 150,782 orgilion 3 firith 465 (which would be a day and date in the year 465 FA)

Lower Left :
flash! strange man seen on guarded plain, holding elven ring aloft ...

Lower Right:
in other news: 400th annual harpers convention a resounding success, see details page 4

This was made for SGH after we had talked about possible ME newspapers, such as Thangorodrim Times, Wainrider Weekly, Galadrim Gazette, etc., and of course, SGH's favorite, the Nargothrond News!

Old 10-05-2002, 10:54 AM   #150
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I couldn't get the attachment that Snowdog posted...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 10-05-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:55 AM   #151
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh, that is just too cool! Rian, I love it!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #152
TinuvielChild
Padawan

By the way, how do you do the gray background so that you can't see what you posted?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 11:36 AM   #153
Rían

the gray-out is called "spoiler". you put the word "spoiler" surrounded by square brackets "[" and "]", then the text you want hidden, then "/spoiler" surrounded by square brackets. Same idea as bold and italic. You can probably use the spoiler button right above where you type your post, but mine doesn't work, so I have to type in the words.

You should come to the part in the Sil that I am referring to in my post about halfway thru the book, I think. Also, you'll come across RÃ*an in the Sil - it's a sad story (her name is pretty, though!) How's the reading coming? And I don't know why you can't access Snowdog's attachment. It isn't an attachment, like mine, I think it's just a link to a web site, but you should be able to click on it to see it, though. Gotta run off to soccer, I'll check back in later.

Last edited by Rían : 10-05-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:49 PM   #154
TinuvielChild
Padawan

It says "the page cannot be found". I hate when that happens! Ahhhh. Now I know what the spoiler button does! Thank you, Rian!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 01:12 PM   #155
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Thanks Rian. And, yes, I agree your ways work fine too, sorry if I came off a bit haughty, I didn't mean to impy they didn't work.

I can't see Snowdog's attachment either. rather annoying...
Old 10-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #156
Snowdog

Gimli

My apologies for that. I used a site and they only want pictures so they removed it. I tried attaching it but it was more than 10Kbs. That was a calligrphy pen, but I'm learning to sign things like that with a simple ball-point pen. I will see about crunching it and attaching it, along with my hand script of the name Snowdog.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:31 PM   #157
Rían

yeah, I can't see it now, either. But I did earlier, and it was nice

Snowdog and Menelvagor, if you have a printer/fax/scanner, check out the detailed instructions I posted several pages ago and see if that works for you. TC and I have now got the hang of it, but it was sure irritating at first! It's so fun to see other people's writing! I hope katya can attach something soon, too, but I know she doesn't have a scanner at home. I have no idea how to do it besides the scanner way. I don't know how those web site things work. oh well... does anyone else have any ideas?

Old 10-05-2002, 04:21 PM   #158
Snowdog

Gimli

Yeah I have scanned and saved the file.. I just need to get the file size to the 10Kbs this site allows. I was pressed for time last night so I used a site.. bad me.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:29 PM   #159
TinuvielChild
Padawan

You may find me attaching annother issue of the
Nargothrond News
sometime soon, when I get off my lazy arse.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #160
Rían

Oh, good! Try the
want ads
, maybe

Closed Thread