Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2002, 03:11 PM   #141
DraztiK
Enting

to bad we don't have the right to ERADICATE the stupid people

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:55 PM   #142
Tar-Palantir
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by DraztiK
to bad we don't have the right to ERADICATE the stupid people
That's what Adolf Hitler thought.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 08:24 AM   #143
DraztiK
Enting

And he would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for them pesky kids and their dog

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 11:52 PM   #144
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
???????????

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 12:45 AM   #145
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think he's making a tasteless Scooby Doo joke.

Quote:
Christiana:
man,its a free country.people have a right to be stupid.
LOL!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:45 PM   #146
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

It's people like these that give Christian's a bad name. This guy does not appear to know what he is talking about. While I'm sure he is very sincere of his beleife's, he is obviously misleade. If anyone is intrested, I've got a link from Focus on the Family's web site that give another side of the Tolkein story. Also, Even thought Tolkien did not write LOTR as an Allegory, I believe you could take it that way. Like the complete corruption that sin has in a persons life. With the Ring represnting sin. Anyway, heres the link: http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/magic/#LordoftheRings

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:43 PM   #147
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

He's wrong on several points. The Istari are not "wizards". Simple people call them wizards, but they are more like angels. And there are fallen ones as well as loyal ones, just like the Catholic angels.

LOTR did not give rise to D&D. Tolkien and other played war games. War games existed before LOTR. Chain Mail was created by Gary Gygax as a war game with sword and sorcery powers added in. D&D developed from that. Sword and Sorcery is a different genre completely. Robert E. Howard was publishing Conan-like novels while Tolkien was still writing old english versions of the tale of Luthien Tinuviel. I believe Howard killed himself before The Hobbit ever came out. So it would be more appropriate to say that D&D rose out of war games and the books of Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard. After it was started, though, Gygax added elves and "halflings". But note that he wasn't allowed to use the word "hobbit".

While the unconcious mind contains many mythical tales, one sect would have me believe I can ignore most of them and only embrace the "sacrifice" myth. Try as I may, those other myths will surface. If I don't bring Grendel to light, he will prowl my backstreets and dark alleys and strike when I least expect him. A modern example of Grendel is Columbine High School. If my image of the world does not include these monsters, I will not be prepared to deal with their montrous acts.

I am not trying to take anything away from the Orphic myth, but these other myths can't be supressed without serious harm to the society. At the very least, we need to have them as stories enacted in our movie theatres and on the screen.

One more thing (I'm sorry I do carry on), the sacrifice myth does occur whether JRRT admits it or not. He descends into the deeps and rises again stronger and holier than ever. You all know who I mean.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 12-05-2002 at 12:49 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #148
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

It's just aloud of Idiots that say they've been cured by god, and they used to be unclean until they found god and now there just picture perfect. They're all just Bible-Black Tyrants!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:58 PM   #149
TolkienGurl
Hobbit

Crazy People Bother Me

Some people need to lighten up. People are afraid of what they don't understand, and clearly this man does not understand the Lord of the Rings. He needs to read the books, and then judge them! Anyway, all his claims are false as there is no evidence to back them up. What a bunch of dung, I say.

TolkienGurl
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:56 PM   #150
Andrew Baggins
Sapling

Strider

"Why LOTR is the work of the devil" - well i just read an artical a few days ago about a priest or someone like that releasing a book about how LotR is a Christian book or somthing. Very weird.
Andrew Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:17 PM   #151
OrlandoFan234
Sapling

Hey, that guy talks bad about J.R.R Tolkien how come he doesn't talk bad about J.K.Rolien? (Author of Harry Potter)! And no Led Zepland wasn't born when J.R.R tolkien was writing these books! Some people are just interesting!!!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM   #152
OrlandoFan234
Sapling

I had another thought! LOTR's is about the fight against good and evil. Well that guy said that it was such an evil book how come the good side wins!?! Just a thought! The only thing I can think of that would go with that is that he is evil himself so he thought it was an evil book when the good side won!?! I don't know what do you guys think about it?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #153
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Well, his logic is just brilliant. he says when he was a soldier in the 60's he was anti-Christian. At that time he read the books and loved them. Therefore, they must be evil. Now THAT is just unquestionably rational! LOL!

All you can do is laugh about this sort of thing.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 PM   #154
claudia silver
Enting

This is the best bit:

"The world knows its own; and when the demonic world of fantasy role-playing and the morally filthy world of rock and roll love something, you can be sure it is not godly and it is not the truth."

Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 PM   #155
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Gandalf

I agree with Christiana; these people give Christians a bad name. Tolkien was a devout Christian (probably, that guy thinks that Catholics are Satanists who pretend to be Christians ). He loved the ancient Norse mythology; Middle-Earth was a mythology created by Tolkien to be an acceptable Christian mythology. But since this guy does not sound very keen on Lewis, so it seems even the most obvious allegory isn't good enough for him. People like this make me sad because of their lack of knowledge, and angry because they make people of my faith seem like worthless, unintelligible fools who think there's a demon in every door-knocker.

EDIT:

Quote:
Have you ever wondered how much these close-minded people miss in the world? I mean it's their own fault, but to go around condemning people to hell is to live a very graceless life. and that's what the christian faith is all about. He reminds me of the story of two men praying in the temple. the first recognizes his sin, and prays, "O LORD, have mercy on me, for I am a sinful man." The second man and says, "O LORD, I thank you that you have not made me like the wretch who is here beside me." can you be more arrogant?
The Christian faith is not about condemning everyone to hell. It is about spreading the gospel to others, letting them know that they don't have to.

And also, someone said that "wizard" is a translation of Maiar. Well, first off, Maiar is plural; Maia is the singular. "Wizard" is actually used as a translation of the word Istar. The Istari were a group of (at least five) Maiar who came around 3A 1000 to help unify the Free Peoples against Sauron, etc, and I'm blabbering on.

RE-EDIT: Those of you who are Christians might be interested in some books by Harold Myra. The Choice is one, but Children in the Night, The Shining Face, and Morning Child. Also, the books by Peretti are good, as well as Sedona Storm and Secrets of the Gathering Darkness (those are books about angels vs. demons in the present-day world). Man, I sound like a salesman. Sorry.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 12-10-2002 at 09:57 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:50 PM   #156
Faelnor
Sapling

Yeesh. I agree with Gwaimir Windgem.
-Faelnor, Elf of way too many "Elf of" things.
Ummm, yeah....that's it....riiiiiight.-Me, somewhere.
Faelnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:23 PM   #157
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Wherers this guy from?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:34 AM   #158
Gwaimir Windgem

The article says Port Huron, MI.

I tried sending him an email, starting off with describing my solid Christian background, hoping to win him over, but it seems that I had no such luck. Ah well, at least I got to refer him to some more good Christian fantasy. I wonder if he'll read any of it?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-15-2002, 02:52 PM   #159
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by jediguy
There's only one thing I can do when coming across these articles:

(<-) Back
Me too!!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:43 PM   #160
Gwaimir Windgem

It doesn't bother me that much, because I know how far from the truth it is. It's kinda funny, kinda sad, with a small measure of irittating.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle