Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2002, 11:08 PM   #141
Masderanoe
Enting

If i had a sword i'd want it to be nice light and fast!!

Smiley people are happy when they make smileys.
Masderanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #142
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Finally my samurai knives have been ordered!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! *sits at letter box...gets sleeping bag and some paper and pens for occupation during the long wait that will be a few days*

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:44 PM   #143
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Yay! E XK has knives! Er...will soon anyway. Congrats, E XK!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 11:19 AM   #144
Elfmaster XK

*through the letter box come a package...she opens it and its not the knives...sigh...but it is the nocks and glue for the arrows*

YAY! can fix my arrow now! Thanks EG! There will be photos of the knife, and of me with the knives, generally thrashing around...etc When it arrives.

*resumes post by door*

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-20-2002, 02:56 PM   #145
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Two swords

Well, as Zavron's thread was closed and I wanted to post there, I guess instead I'll raise this thread back to the top .

Do you own a sword, Zavron? I own two swords, one for common use and one with symbolic meaning.

I'll describe the one with symbolic meaning first. At our house, we have what we call "The Court of Massatt". Massatt is the last name of our family. Mom and Dad are queen and king, and all of the children start out as pages (the boys) or maidens (The girls). Those are the lowest ranks. We've done this for years, and I'm the only family member so far to reach the highest level, which is knight. There are three ranks, page, squire and knight. For the girls there is maiden, damsel and lady.

On the banner of the Court of Massatt, there are four quadrants bisected by a cross, which has a lamb in the middle, which represents Christ. One of the quadrants has a dove, one a sword, one a lion and the last a fleur-de-lis. The fleur-de-lis stands for excellence, one of them for purity (I don't remember which), the lion for courage, and the other for, ah, wisdom perhaps? It has been a long time since we had a Court of Massatt.

A person is promoted to a squire or damsel when they reach a higher stage of maturity, and the dove, sword, lion and fleur-de-lis are all evident for people to see, occasionally, in their lives. One is promoted to a knight or a lady after they are displaying these things in their life just about all the time. Which means that they have basically reached a much higher stage of maturity.

After I was dubbed a knight, outside in our garden, they gave me that sword. It's quite heavy, and I'm the only one who can weild it pretty well (So far, I am the oldest boy ).

The second sword is called a foil. I use that much more frequently than the other one. I've been taking fencing for three years now, and own my own equipment, which includes mask, foil, jacket and glove.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 05:19 AM   #146
Eruviel Greenleaf

Re: Two swords

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
The second sword is called a foil.
sword. ha.

*picks up claymore* this, my friend, is a sword.

(i'm just kidding...really...I know people who fence. foil. one of my friends is on the varsity team at her college.)

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 12-21-2002, 07:00 PM   #147
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

That sounds really awesome.....the Court of Massatt, I mean. Wish I had somming like that....I have no swords. *sniff* My parents both have rapiers and dagger, the stage combat kind, and they're pretty, if not as functional as a real sword. Hmm. Saving up for Camlann faire next summer....

-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:41 PM   #148
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

i don't have any swords but i have lots of pocket knives. my brother bought 2 swords a couple months ago but they're for show. we used to have a bunch of real ninja stars,one was even gold, but my brothers lost 'em. we got a magazine from Smokey Mountain Knife Works and it has some swords like the one Arwen had and the kind the orcs had i think and some more like the ones in Lord of the Rings.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:34 AM   #149
Eruviel Greenleaf

I want a katana. They're pretty. (just a bit of information that might be useful to interpreting my posts here: when i say pretty, i usually mean sharp, well made and deadly ) It would be really cool if it had elvish writing on the blade. . . I've been drawing swords a lot lately. With runes all down the blades. . .

I liked the Rohirric broadswords in the movie. they were pretty.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 12-22-2002, 04:03 AM   #150
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
I was angered when my mother would not let me get a sword. So I made one out of wood and slashed off her head.

A very good stress reliver.

I wore my sword to The Two Towers when I went on opening night. I had been planing to since August.

No one else dressed up. This was in Issaquah. Loosers.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:03 PM   #151
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Location: the darkest region of Mirkwood (and trust me, it's really dark)
Just found a sword site that makes my mouth water. It's at www.bladereplicas.com They have the cheapest blades I've ever seen, and I'm wondering what the hoax is. If someone actually does buy a sword from this site, let me know how the whole thing turns out.
------------------------------------------------
"It's been a while since I've been 130." -Aaron Reichgott
You know, the world's full of apathy...but I don't care.
"I would've honked, but I might have hit you." -Janaki
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have gone to college that year." -Lewis Black
"I have one speed which varies according to my mood." -Kristy Pihl
"When I get a fever, I can hear my mom's voice in my head. But she's alive, not dead, so it's not as exciting." -Anna Crandall
"It doesn't matter what your body type is, as long as you're bloodthirsty." -Rachel Carlson
-------------------------------------------------
"My mind is a whirling miasma." -Jeff E.
"I think earth is the Alabama of the universe and we don't even know it."
"You can't just apologize the laziness of my bunnies away." -Taylor S.B.
I'm a sadistic massochist. I'm always happy.
WiseWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #152
azalea
Long lost mooter

I am FINALLY posting in this thread!
I have three swords. It all started when I took the history of Medieval Europe in college. I had always (like most of you) been into swords and the like, but the professor handed out a paper one day from a company (Starfire Swords -- someone may have posted a web link if they have one now) that makes swords. This was before the internet was big, so it was all mail order then. They were too expensive for me to get at the time (150.00 for a single handed broadsword), so I put it on my Christmas wish list as the first item: a sword. Everyone thought it was very funny.

Some years later (I never got one from Starfire), my grandparents had a surprise for me: a sword! It is an old military sword from what we can gather, probably just decorative, but you never know. They got it when my grandmother's aunt died, who in turn had gotten it from her father. So it is pretty old. I think it might be a Civil War era sword. It probably wouldn't hold up in battle at this point in any case.

That was years ago. Then this past Christmas, my husband, who is never subtle about gift giving, brings in this huge box on Christmas morning. As I opened it, I wondered if it was a little box with jewelry in it, and the big box just that old gag. I was almost disappointed, because I don't wear jewelry regularly anymore except my wedding rings. I used to wear it a lot, but I only do it on special occasions or when I'm going out somewhere now. But my husband knows me well, because it turned out to be a sword! It is I guess a Vietnam era Marine dress sword; he got it from a local antique store. I was so pleasantly surprised. But again, it isn't "battle-ready," because it is a dress sword and is dull bladed.

BUT you know it was my birthday last month, and my brother gave me quite a surprise when he presented me with --

NARSIL!!!
He bought it from a sword dealer at a flea market, who had replicas of different swords. And they're "real," in that they're actually sharp! My brother got himself a Chinese-style double blade that looks like a staff until you pull the ends apart, when it becomes two blades (there's a name for it but I can't remember what it is). BUT I GOT NARSIL! Although I think I'll call it Anduril to be more realistic about it. It's a hand and a half, and fairly heavy. Now I can ward off the bad guys if they break into my house.
Furthermore, SGH may have her admin stick, BUT I HAVE THE FLAME OF THE WEST -- SO WATCH OUT SPAMMERS, FLAMERS, AND GENERAL THORNS IN THE SIDE OF THE MODS, OR YOU WILL TASTE COLD STEEL!
I wish I could carry it around out in public, but I think that would be illegal. Darn weapons laws, spoiling all the fun. Plus, it'd practically trail the ground, since it's long and I'm...not.
(I guess what I really need is Sting. )

So now I'm going to hang all three on the walls outside of my bedroom.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #153
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea

So now I'm going to hang all three on the walls outside of my bedroom.
o and plese keep them sheathed
Old 05-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #154
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Wow! I never saw you as the sword-loving type, Azalea. Guess I was wrong... like I usually am about so many things.

*keeps a respectful distant to her fellow-mod just in case*

Got any pictures of your weaponry?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #155
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
It's a hand and a half, and fairly heavy. Now I can ward off the bad guys if they break into my house.
Bejesus! When yer break into someones house yer might expect to be accosted by a baseball bat or summit...........not 4ft long sword! Erm, so I've heard.

Quote:
BUT I HAVE THE FLAME OF THE WEST -- SO WATCH OUT SPAMMERS, FLAMERS, AND GENERAL THORNS IN THE SIDE OF THE MODS, OR YOU WILL TASTE COLD STEEL!
UH-Oh!.......

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #156
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Gee I can't have sharp objects ever since . . . hm nevermind

I want a sword and have one picked out but we have young children at our house so I figure I can't get one till I move out.
Well I can at least try for a bow I want.

hey if my dad can have a 22. I should be able to have a sword right?

Glad you got what you wanted anyway Azalea. Enjoy it!

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting

Last edited by Aralyn : 05-20-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #157
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

If you like swords, Azalea, you should try swordfighting. It's really fun .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #158
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Got any pictures of your weaponry? [/B]
Sadly, I have no scanner, nor any way to post pics at this time (outdated computer). BUT I will have access to one at the end of June, so I'll post pics then. I'll post me wielding Anduril, so I can put it in the Picture of Me thread .

Aralyn, I have two little boys, but they know not to touch, plus like I said the two older swords are dull as anything, so they're not dangerous (besides, the swords are so heavy neither of them could pick them up at this point). Anduril is tucked away out of reach, and it has a safety tip on the end (but if the baddies come I can just pull it off ). But like I said, they'll soon be on the wall for display.

Leif, I'd love to try swordfighting! I have the sword, but yes, my technique is lacking. I'd also like to take up archery; I know a couple of other 'mooters are into that.

I don't really like hurting things, I promise! I just think the weapons are fascinating, and I think it would be fun to know the techniques. I'd probably have to use a lighter sword to really hone my skills, at least at first. Sounds like an excuse to add to my collection!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #159
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
(I guess what I really need is Sting. )
Wanna trade? I have Sting, but I'm itching for something bigger.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #160
Elfmaster XK

Quote:

Leif, I'd love to try swordfighting! I have the sword, but yes, my technique is lacking. I'd also like to take up archery; I know a couple of other 'mooters are into that.
Archery is great fun! And very relaxing too.

I am now the owner of a black tanto, a black ornamental Wakizashi, my bow and it's arrows (incedentaly, Rian if you're around I got some new arrows! The ones with the spin vanes. They're COOL! They are like this.)

I also have a Desert Eagle and a pistol. But I guess that's OT. Mmm...desert eagle...so beautiful...

I can fly - my friends.

XK