Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #141
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I saw the movie, and after a while began to like the whole LOTR thing, and my dad got out his old copies of the books and I ate them up in less than a month. I love LOTR!!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 PM   #142
Ararax
Elven Warrior

i read it for one reason, in the end of the hobbit it says if you wish to know more about hobbits read lord of the rings
AND I DID!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:10 PM   #143
Ruinel
Banned

I had to read the HObbit as required reading in high school lit class. Then I read the LotR. Wow... I was hooked! Then I read The Sil... O.O! And that was it... I was a total fan. I've since read other books that Chris Tolkien has put out by his father JRRT.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:26 PM   #144
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I read The Hobbit because I got it for Christmas one year, and then I read LotR partly because I wanted more from Tolkien, and partly because my friends and family had been nagging me to read it for a while. Now I'm rereading LotR and it's even better the second time.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:55 AM   #145
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Because I heard of the movie and thought that it sounded interesting. But just to mention it: I did read the books before I saw the movie.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:21 AM   #146
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

In school, we'd set up a play highly influenced by 'the Hobbit'. A couple of years later we were going to chose a book to read. I chose 'The Hobbit' since I wanted to see how much the book ressembled our school play. I was hooked.
Then I read 'The Silmarillion' and afterwards I was simply forced to read LotR, which was supposed to be Tolkien's greatest work.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:44 AM   #147
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I'm one of those people who read the books to see why their was such a hyped-up movie about it. At first I didn't like it (pre-FotR) and then I loved it (pre-TTT). I guess that's one more reason I should like the movies. (The other reason- Orlando Bloom! )
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #148
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I'm one of those people who read the books to see why their was such a hyped-up movie about it. At first I didn't like it (pre-FotR) and then I loved it (pre-TTT). I guess that's one more reason I should like the movies. (The other reason- Orlando Bloom! )
Another thing we have in common! (okay, I liked LotR right form the start)
Old 07-06-2003, 09:08 AM   #149
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Then I read 'The Silmarillion' and afterwards I was simply forced to read LotR, which was supposed to be Tolkien's greatest work.
So, you're one of the rare people who read the Sil before LotR. Just like Tolkien would have wanted it.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #150
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
So, you're one of the rare people who read the Sil before LotR. Just like Tolkien would have wanted it.
Yeah, I'm glad I did that too. Tolkien would've been proud of me. I could better understand the poems and songs in LotR, like Aragorns song about Beren and Luthien, since I had already read about Beren and Luthien in the Silmarillion.
Though I didn't like how some things in LotR was given away in Sil.
That C*rdan had entrusted Gandalf with Narya, that Strider was Isildur's hei, that the Ring was actually destroyed in the end thanks to Frodo and Sam...
Some of the excitement was lost.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #151
Anglorfin
Alasailon

When I was really little my dad read The Hobbit for me and my brothers. I thought the story rocked and I remember seeing other books on his shelf that were done by JRRT (the trilogy). My dad said he wouldn't read those to me because they were too long so I forgot about it for a couple of years until I was old enough to reread The Hobbit for myself and then I went straight into LotR.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #152
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
When I was really little my dad read The Hobbit for me and my brothers. I thought the story rocked and I remember seeing other books on his shelf that were done by JRRT (the trilogy). My dad said he wouldn't read those to me because they were too long so I forgot about it for a couple of years until I was old enough to reread The Hobbit for myself and then I went straight into LotR.
Plus, for me, the movies were just coming out while I was starting Two Towers, so I wanted to finish the books before they ruined everything. (It didn't work at all. As soon as my little brother came home from the theatre he goes "Wow! I can't wait to see the next one where the G guy comes back as a WHITE WIZARD!" the little....)
Old 07-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #153
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Just happened to see it in a bookstore(paperback) about 1974 or so...cover looked cool, bought all three...got halfway through FOTR, realized I needed to read The Hobbit, found it, read it. Started over on LOTR...hooked ever since.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #154
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I heard the film was coming out and my friend leant me hers to read and i got hooked and bought them all and about another million tolkien books! they rock!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:04 AM   #155
katya
Elven Maiden

i read lotr because my friend gave me fotr as a gift, and i read it and bought the rest of it too. simple as that.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 01:17 AM   #156
kiwi52291
Hobbit

The Hobbit was recommended to me a couple years ago. I read half of it and didn't like it. When the movie came out my friend went MAD about the books and the movies and I decided to go along with it. So this summer I read the other half of The Hobbit and LOVED it. Then I read FOTR and I think that The Hobbit is just a "pretty good" book because of it. And I'm not ashamed to say I'm still reading TTT, but I've recently been going on LOTR websites so now I'm officially-not hooked-nailed to LOTR. FOTR is the only thing I watch when I'm bored at home (and somebody else isn't hogging the T.V.)
kiwi52291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #157
elixir
Elven Warrior

I had to read The Hobbit in school but then I read only about 10 pages, decided it was boring (shame on me! ) and didn't read any more. Then, after some years, I came across with the book and decided to read it after all and found it extremely interesting.

But LOTR was recommended to me by my friend, she was reading it and mentioned to me that it was interesting. At first she didn't even tell me that it was connected with The Hobbit but as we have similar taste of books, I wanted to read it anyway. So after she had finished reading, I borrowed the books from her and found LOTR the best book I had ever read. I got Silmarillion also from her. But now I've bought both the books (LOTR and Sil) and am reading them again.

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #158
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

my brother had taken an interest in the Hobbit when we were young. After seeing the animated movie a bunch of times, I decided to read the Hobbit. When I heard they were making movies of the series, I decided to read LoTR, and then read the Silmarillion out of my own interest in the book and the languages.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:09 AM   #159
Laurelindórenan
Hobbit

I'm only 15, but The Lord of the Rings is my dad's favorite book, so when he heard the movies were coming out, he wanted to make sure I read it before I saw the movies.

So I read FotR and I sort of had to push my way through it, but after I saw the movie I understood the story better and I read TTT and RotK almost non-stop until I finished and now it's MY favorite book as well as my dad's.

Also, I have just recently read the Hobbit for the first time so I actually read the LotR before I read the Hobbit. I enjoyed the Hobbit, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Lord of the Rings.

We all took an evilness test. WiKi was in the 99.7 to 99.8 percentile range. Seven of the rest of us got in the 99.0 to 99.6 range. Our 9th member, Bob, hasn't been able to overcome his love of kittens. He only got a 88.2. We're hoping to get him replaced.

- Ask the Characters, stupidring.com

I'm BB's daughter.

Last edited by Laurelindórenan : 08-03-2003 at 03:13 AM.
Laurelindórenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 06:07 AM   #160
LOTRTROTK2002
Sapling

Gandalf

I saw them adverised in a book club, so I thought I would buy them. Glad I did. Although I am still reading The Fellowship of the Ring I have to admit that this is my favourite book to date.
LOTRTROTK2002 is offline   Reply With Quote