Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #141
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome Aragorn2!

But why don't you like Bilbo? It's fine if he's your least favourite, but this thread would be a lot more interesting if people also outlined their reasons, like addmirall did. (And me too, way back there somewhere...)

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:18 PM   #142
OrlandoFan234
Sapling

Blackboar,
I wasn't dissing Sam! I even said that he was funny it's just that he kind of lagged. He just wasn't my favorite and yes, I did like Pippen though!!
~OrlandoFan234~
Old 12-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #143
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmm....

Oh well, I don't really like Celeborn. I think he's boring.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:27 PM   #144
Faelnor
Sapling

Treebeard

Treebeard. I don't know why, I just don't like him.
-Faelnor, Elf of way too many "Elf of" things.
Ummm, yeah....that's it....riiiiiight.-Me, somewhere.
Faelnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:57 PM   #145
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Gandalf the White is powerful, wise, and just plain cool.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 03:30 AM   #146
ShrikeArghast
Sapling

Well...

I hate to say this, but I wasn't a big fan of Frodo. In my opinion Frodo was a weak-minded, childish homosexual, who just got more cranky and whiny as the book progressed. I definately held Samwise Gamgee as the true hero, and the persona who was really responsible for the destruction of the ring, not his caddy, poorly selected counterpart. By all rights Frodo should have been killed in Cirith Ungol, and Samwise left to carry on the real mission of importance. I was cautiously optimistic that, upon finding out that Frodo had survived Ungoliant's child's sting, the Dark Lord would succeed in capturing the wretch and covering the lands in a second darkness.

Besides, perhaps that would have caused the Elves to return and lay down the law-- as it should be.
ShrikeArghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:13 AM   #147
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Moot Shrike! I said Frodo was my least favourite as well, because he's very puzzling and I didn't identify well with him. Also, he doesn't have a lot of common sense regarding Ring concealment. (Let's play with the Ring in my pocket while I stand on a table in the middle of a pub and sing, and hey... new plan, do a backflip off the table and put on the Ring. Whoops!)

I can see why you'd think Frodo might be gay, and if so, I'd be fine with that. However, I think that if anyone's gay, it's Sam (one of my favourite characters.) Frodo's not very gay. (Neither is Sam, but if you're going down that road...)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2002, 04:29 AM   #148
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I really can't see any reason why Frodo would be seen as gay. He and Sam loved each other, but they wern't in love with each other. He was only (in Hobbit terms) 50 when the war of the ring started and then went to the undying lands. Perhaps if he had stayed in Middle Earth he would have married. I don't think Sam is gay, either, I mean, he did marry Rosie and have 13 children.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:58 AM   #149
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I don't think Sam is gay, either, I mean, he did marry Rosie and have 13 children.
Could be a front. And a very good one, too.

Just kidding. That notion is pure nonsense. Besides intermittent hand-holding and words of affection (both of which are merely misconstrued through present societal beliefs), there is no basis for that theory between Frodo and Sam. They have a genuine friendship... the likes of which our time scarcely sees.

But back to the thread... when I first read The Lord of the Rings, I disliked Galadriel. I mean, she helps out the Fellowship and everything (I'm speaking as I felt then, mind you), but she's so... creepy about it. Reading their thoughts and asking rhetorical questions... no wonder stories about the forests of Lorien and the sorceress that live there are so dreadful.

Since that first read, I've grown to respect her character much more (like Gimli, sort of).

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #150
ShrikeArghast
Sapling

On Galadriel

I think Galadriel is a character that is misunderstood by a LOT of people. For example, I think a lot lot of people believe that Galadriel was tempted to seize the ring from Frodo for a few moments in Lorien, whereas I believe that she was merely playing devil's advocate and trying to show Frodo how corruptive the ring could be, even to a high elf (it's funny, because I think that the people who made LotR the movie drew the first conclusion as well, which led to the freakiest, most unwelcomed scene in that movie. Gack!). Galadriel (and Elrond, who's been bashed here before) is a really important character. She and Elrond, among very few others, offer a link to the past-- a look into the unspolied world of the Valar. This is important for the series, because it connects it completely with Tolkien's other works, and gives a familiar face for all the novels.
ShrikeArghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:53 AM   #151
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, Frodo and Samwise had a deep, true and pure friendship, the like of which will probably never be seen in our time...so sad... They were closer than brothers. What would the professor have thought if he'd known that this pure closeness he created would be construed as homosexuality?

In respond to the post above: I am fairly certain that Elrond never saw Valinor, at least not till after the War of the Ring. I agree with you about Galadriel; I don't think she was tempted, at least not nearly as much as they thought. I actually liked Bakshi's depicition of her better than PJ's.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 12-14-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 05:57 PM   #152
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I didn't really think they were gay, I was just trying to point out that it doesn't matter. I did it badly, but anyway, they are definately the best of friends no matter what their orientation is. And considering when the book was written, I really don't think either of them is gay.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2002, 06:14 PM   #153
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I didn't like Celeborn, but that is because he doesn't seem to do much.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 06:51 PM   #154
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I agree I'm not that bothered about Celeborn.

Frodo and Sam did have a close friendship! I like the way how in the film Frodo always said "Oh Sam"!! Only Joking!
They were just good friends!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:58 AM   #155
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe Celeborn didn't happen to do a lot in LOTR, but historically he did loads of stuff. (This is where a knowledgable person would back me up ) He and Galadriel are a team!

In FOTR, even though he didn't do anything to particularly like, he didn't do anything to dislike either. Except he was mean to Gimli, but he wouldn't be the first elf.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #156
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

ic: I personaly liked Frodo and Sam. They had a great friendship which all people with friends cherrish. We all want a friend ship as strong and loyal as that of Sam and Frodo.
Plus just think Frodo was very strong in the Barrow downs and with the wound of the Nazegul. The other hobbits were taken at once in the Barow downs. Though it was true Frodo was a bit careless at times with the ring but imagin it being you in the tavern with Ringwriaths close by calling for a clue on were the ring is and its capture. But no one, not even an elf could destroy that ring alone. So both Frodo and sam neede each other in the destruction of the ring. They were both great characters with a strong loyal friendship to the death.

And I also like Celeborn because he really did hold council, and he was rather appealing in his elfish ways.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #157
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks for the back up on Celeborn Sicirus! I knew he did cool stuff, I just didn't know what. By the way nice avatar. Hee hee.

The Two Towers is my favourite book, and I like Merry and Pippin more than Frodo and Sam in that book. But once Frodo and Sam have been through so much in Return of the King, and Sam has been a Ringbearer, I really come to respect them.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2002, 05:24 PM   #158
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I liked all the hobbits! oh and i really like Legolas!

I wasn't a massive fan of Bilbo! I liked him but not as much as the others!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:06 AM   #159
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Thanks Nuringiel. I don't like to put the good characters down much. Especially the hobbit (good hobbits) and elves. Cause I am pretty shure someone can argue with my least favorit character Goldberry. Or Denether. I have grown a new respect for Boromir. He is kinda cool now.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:34 AM   #160
Curunír
Enting

I like everyone! Maybe Barliman Butterbur not so much as the other fellows, but I like him too. I'm not a hateful boy...
ulle frulle kulle a cup of milk huy!
Curunír is offline   Reply With Quote