Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #141
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
*To GW: I'm reading Den Medialiserade Demokratin by Jesper Strömbäck, in Swedish in one of my courses, and I'm telling you I am becoming quite the Swedish-literate! I have no idea why our Professor gave us Swedish literature. I suspect he does it for the Purpose of Torturing us*
Reading Swedish isn't torture - unless that book would be torture in any language (but I suppose you don't see it that way, Coffeehouse, since you've chosen that subject for your studies). I've become Swedish-literate, too, but that's been by reading Ivar Lo-Johansson, Harry Martinsson and Jan Guillou I've even translated two books (non-fiction) from Swedish into Norwegian.

Quote:
*To EF: In a foreign land.. yeah that does make it different doesn't it. Well, I'm celebrating Xmas in South Africa! So we're all in the odd hemisphere it seems and you can console yourself with the fact there are some (hint) who won't be seeing a single snowflake on Xmas eve Actually when I think about it, that would be the case for London too so nevermind*
London? Not necessarily. You might have snow in London. I've been there in snowy weather at Easter.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #142
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Sane, you're so cool! *waves fanclub-president-flag*
Andreas, you are going to S-A again? I am so jealous >_<

We will have all our relatives over for the night of the 24th to the 25th, maybe even to the 26th... There goes the peace on earth
lol, I have no relatives around where I live. They all live about 320km away. The only relatives who will be with me is my wife and sister in law, and the kids should they not be late to arrive. However, I go back to what once was home the day after Christmas, to experience the full-fledged power of the Dark Side that is my family. So December 26th will be the day to worry about. We're going to stay there until New Year's, which should prove to be rather...'amusing'. o.O.o
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #143
katya
Elven Maiden

meow

Last edited by katya : 04-13-2009 at 06:07 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #144
Evil Santa
Hobbit

meeeeoooooWWWWWWWW.........mmmmrrreeeeeeoooowwww *cat screeching*
Evil Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #145
Mari
Elf Lady

Awwww! Kitty!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #146
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's that time of the year again!
Christmas carols a-plenty, lovely gifts and tasty food and drinks. And (in many places) snow! It covers the trees and houses in a wonderful white blanket. Yep, this year's Christmas brings tidings of comfort and joy

Merry Christmas y'all!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #147
Mari
Elf Lady

And to you! ^_^

Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #148
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You know it's Christmas when your dad asks you to photoshop one of the cat's pictures in the snow to include a santa hat so he can send it to his friends.

Man, I can't even remember the last time we had a white Christmas. I think maybe I should go out tomorrow and make a snow dragon, before it all melts away.

Merry Christmas, all!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #149
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

White so far here in Chicago. The temps are borderline for it to stay. We've had some snow and also some rain - sometimes freezing, sometimes not. There's still snow on the ground with forecasts of rain today - but for more snow tomorrow on Christmas day. Stay around, snow!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #150
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

It's snowing in Oslo. We had some snow last week, and the weatherman promised that there would be frost to keep it from melting before Christmas, so we would have a White Christmas - and now the frost is gone, and we're just below thawing point, but it's been snowing most of the day!

We're hoping to go somewhere by car in a couple of days - just hope the snow won't make it difficult by then ... just glad we didn't need to use the car today, it wouldn't have been very comfortable.

Merry Christmas ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #151
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

It's been white all week in Ireland, and incredibly bitter. I helped build a snowman outside my house, it's a very festive scene.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #152
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Awwwwwwwwww. I wanna live in Ireland *sulk* It's only about 44 degrees here so not a chance of snow at all. As usual. I'm super excited though!! It's almost Christmas!!!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #153
Earniel

*sneaksneak*

<.<

>.>

*throws big virtual snowball at Tessar*

Mwahahahah!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #154
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Paid my annual visit to church last night for Christmas Eve Mass- my wife's family is Catholic, and I enjoy the lights and singing.

Twas special this year as my youngest son was an altar boy. Everybody told me he looked especially angelic- they're all dark-skinned Taiwanese aborigines, but raised on pictures of blond angels. He's not like that at home!

Merry Christmas to all

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #155
Midge
Faithful Gardener

It decided to ice around here. That's pretty much ALL it does. We don't get snow days anymore. We get ice days. This is going to be my last Christmas with my parents. Next Christmas I'll be married. It's really weird to think of all that will be changing when I get married.

My mom bought an elf costume for our slightly new puppy. She hated it. Yep, it's Christmas indeed. I'm so happy! It's odd, but I think I like the thought of all the gifts more than the actual gifts themselves. Like, they're wonderful to open, but once they're open, they're not gifts anymore. It's kind of like how Monk kept the Christmas gift his wife bought for him but never gave him before she died. He put it under the tree every year and then never opened it. It's sort of like that.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #156
Earniel

Wow, it's been 23 years since we last had a white Christmas! Too bad it started to rain during the night, so what snow we had left is slowly melting away now. No snow-dragon this year, darn.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #157
Mari
Elf Lady

We still had some snow coming down this morning, but it's changed to rain. Who knows, the temperature may drop again.

I wasn't able to go to Church this morning, but last night was great

GM, as I understand it, being chosen as an altar boy is a pretty big deal. Congrats! ^_^

Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #158
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
It's odd, but I think I like the thought of all the gifts more than the actual gifts themselves. Like, they're wonderful to open, but once they're open, they're not gifts anymore. It's kind of like how Monk kept the Christmas gift his wife bought for him but never gave him before she died. He put it under the tree every year and then never opened it. It's sort of like that.
Yeah, I tried to convince my family not to do gifts this year... I'm personally not huge on the idea of Christmas gifts. I much prefer that it be about being together as a family and at least pretending to get along for a little while .

Still, they wanted to do them, so it'll be pretty cool. I'm gonna be getting Dragon Age (WHICH I'M SUPER STOKED ABOUT!!!!), and my sister is getting me the new Star Trek movie (WHICH I'M ALSO SUPER STOKED ABOUT!!!).

YAY CHRISTMAS! This year is a little odd because I'm actually house/dog sitting for a guy right now... so I'll be going home for a few hours but likely not the whole day. I'l be going over in a few hours for lunch, and we'll do gifts, and then my sister and I will play from a book of Christmas music (guitar duets!!!) that I spontaneously decided that we had to have and dragged my poor dad out to the music store just before they closed so that we could find and buy it .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #159
katya
Elven Maiden

I didn't know you were in Chicago, Val. I'm not too far away! It's been snowy/icy here but today it got really warm and most of the snow melted. Which was alright with me- we did most the Christmas stuff yesterday anyway.

We got Guitar Hero World Tour and so I've been playing it allllll day. I'm pretty pleased with it. I've been saying that I don't like anything about GH except that it's fun to play- I don't like the music, or the art style, or any of that. But there are some ok songs, and they are pretty fun to play, not very many boring ones.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #160
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Hey Katya - are you in a suburb, or just relatively close?

Yes - the warmer temps and rain were just too much, and the snow we got a few days ago almost all melted away. I deep-fried a couple turkies today, and had to do it out in a light rain. It was OK though - always fun to do, and always very good to eat!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote