Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #141
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Now for reasonalbe production costs and you can start taking orders.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #142
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hm, lots of positive reactions, that's always nice to hear. I'm going to pretend that is because you all really like the design and not out of fear of the plastic gecko or because that -aside from BJ's designs- you really have no other choice than my Ent! Nevertheless, don't be afraid to be critical, I don't mind. (In fact, in some cases, it's preferred. When I showed my dad the design he noticed that I had accidentally put the left hand on the right arm so I had to fix that first. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
The only addition I can think of is the "hair" - I really like the "hair" of the Ent holding up the mouse in your sketches on the previous page - I like the leaves - it makes it softer and more "hair"-like, IMO.
Originally I had intended there to be leaves, but I couldn't make it work at first, they kept looking fake so I erased them for now. I might try to add them again if I feel up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Now for reasonable production costs and you can start taking orders.
That's going to be Ben's job provided this design, once inked and coloured, is accepted. It'd be nice if you had more choice between designs, unfortunately most of the Entmoot-artists seem to be on leave.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #143
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

you should save an uncolored inked version for cheaper one-color stuff... then do colorized one

btw ~ is he pressing the "lock thread" key
Old 08-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #144
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hm, lots of positive reactions, that's always nice to hear. I'm going to pretend that is because you all really like the design and not out of fear of the plastic gecko or because that -aside from BJ's designs- you really have no other choice than my Ent! Nevertheless, don't be afraid to be critical, I don't mind.
I'm not being "fake" nice (after all, I did already offer some criticism to both you and brownie ) - I really like it a lot! As I said, the only thing I'd like different is the hair. I like how you did it on the mouse-holding Ent - very natural and hair-like, IMO. Try keeping the leaves kind of parallel to the branches, or maybe gently angled downwards as a concession to gravity? Just a few here and there to soften it up and fill it out.

Quote:
(In fact, in some cases, it's preferred. When I showed my dad the design he noticed that I had accidentally put the left hand on the right arm so I had to fix that first. )
Oh, how funny!
Thanks, dad!
(I draw so poorly that you couldn't even tell what hand is what )

Quote:
Originally I had intended there to be leaves, but I couldn't make it work at first, they kept looking fake so I erased them for now. I might try to add them again if I feel up to it.
please please!
(what do other people think?)

Quote:
That's going to be Ben's job provided this design, once inked and coloured, is accepted. It'd be nice if you had more choice between designs, unfortunately most of the Entmoot-artists seem to be on leave.
I really, really like yours That coffee/tea mug just finished it off!

The only other thing I can think of is putting in some more things among the leaves, esp. in the colored version - like berries, maybe, to add some different colors? (or that elven face! not even a whole face, just the barest suggestion of a face peering out from among the leaves...)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #145
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

sometimes the simplist is the best....IMO this is one of those times. Big Congrats E.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #146
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ok - I'll drop the berries but will still push for the elven face (or make it Tuor, girlfriend! )

or perhaps a bird flying thru the kind of blankish space under the upper-left corner of the leaf-arch?

(these are just ideas from a totallly non-artistic person, btw - I really LOVE what you did, Eärniel! Thanks SO SO MUCH!!!

(and good luck on Friday )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #147
Earniel

Quote:
I'm not being "fake" nice (after all, I did already offer some criticism to both you and brownie ) - I really like it a lot!
And trust me, the criticism is very much appreciated. It was more of a reminder that other people could make suggestions or give critique too.

Quote:
(I draw so poorly that you couldn't even tell what hand is what )
I used to suck at drawing hands and feet, actually, most of the time I still do. But there are certain benefits of drawing with one hand and holding the other in front of you to draw from. ONaturally, I couldn't get my hand at the right angle to simply correct the wrong drawn hand. So I ended up switching the whole arms and redrawing the whole left arm with the mug. It came out much better this way too. At first the Ent was holding his mug higher and in his right hand. It's much better now that it's standing on the title-banner.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #148
Rían

Brownie (or others in the know) - should the colors be limited to a certain number? Or does it matter at all?

Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #149
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Hm, lots of positive reactions, that's always nice to hear. I'm going to pretend that is because you all really like the design and not out of fear of the plastic gecko or because that -aside from BJ's designs- you really have no other choice than my Ent! Nevertheless, don't be afraid to be critical, I don't mind.
The only thing I really miss is a close view of the ent's arm-pit, but I think it's not possible through that angle
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #150
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Brownie (or others in the know) - should the colors be limited to a certain number? Or does it matter at all?
for most things one color (i.e. all black) is the cheapest... after that two and then three, but you soon approach the point where printing in four-color process (i.e. photographic) is about the same cost as adding more spot color... even a three-color job can be around the same cost

that's why i suggested a one-color inked only version and another where you basically use any colors or shades you want
Old 08-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #151
Rían

thanks - that was the info I was looking for but didn't know - I figured you might know

Maybe we should get price info from Ben so we can decide on how many colors, if any. The b&w version is nice, too, but color might be fun...

Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #152
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
The only thing I really miss is a close view of the ent's arm-pit, but I think it's not possible through that angle
I can add a few hairs sticking out, if it would make you feel more comfortable with it.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #153
Rían

Lol!

C'mon, Eärniel, try to sneak a little face into those leaves*! Make it kind of like those "Nina" drawings - whatever that artist was that always put lots of "Nina"s into his sketches and it was fun to find them (that was his daughter's name). Those leaves are a great shape for hiding a face in!

*chants* TU-OR! TU-OR!

*feel free to shoot down this suggestion - I bow in the face of your superior artistic abilities! I think it might be fun, tho, to have a little face in there.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #154
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
I can add a few hairs sticking out, if it would make you feel more comfortable with it.
LOL NO!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #155
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Make me an offer I can't refuse then. But it better not involve the umpteenth marriage.
The only reason I propose marriage so often is...*looks arounds at staring faces*.....

check your PMs

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #156
Ben
Retired Ent

Here's a guide to the images from Cafe Press, I hope it's useful:
Quote:
1. Upload the largest image possible. This way, your image can be scaled appropriately for each product.
2. Images that look good on the screen can look "jagged" or "chunky" when printed. A good test is to print your images on a laser printer. If it looks jagged scaled to the size you want it - it will look jagged when we print it too.
3. JPGs and PNGs are the file formats we currently support for uploaded images.
4. JPGs work best for photos/images with lots of colors or smooth color transitions.
5. JPGs are terrible for text, straight lines, and solid colors. JPG has a user-controllable "compression" setting also. It's best to set the compression as low as possible. (larger file = better quality)
6. PNGs work best for text and images with straight lines and solid colors.

Rule of thumb:

1. Text and solid colors = PNG
2. Photos = JPG and PNG
Most of the products have a white background, so it's good that you have a white background. There actually is a green t-shirt though, so maybe the background could even be clear to accommodate that (no big deal though).

Please take a look around the Tolkien Trail shop for more info on designs and products. It looks like you can also put something on the back and even have slightly different designs for different products.

I think that's a great picture Earniel, but I'd like to incorporate the URL into it. Maybe the back of the shirt can have the address?

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #157
Rían

*checks out the TT shop*

oooh, I want the women's t-shirt and the LARGE coffee mug and ...

the boxers!!

Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #158
Rían

*checks out the sea elf's design again*

I think "entmoot.tolkientrail.com" would be fine right beneath the large "Entmoot" - I think we should grant Ben his wish since it wouldn't be here without him!

Or on the back somewhere - I don't know - maybe some fun phrase on the back and Eärniel's design how it is right now on the front? Like "I Moot at Entmoot.Tolkientrail.com"?

*sigh* I'm so unartistic!

Old 08-30-2005, 04:44 AM   #159
Earniel

Thanks for the guidelines, Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilder
Most of the products have a white background, so it's good that you have a white background. There actually is a green t-shirt though, so maybe the background could even be clear to accommodate that (no big deal though).
Good idea, but I will need some help of other mootters with removing the background. You can't have JPG's with a transparant background and I'm unfamiliar with the PNG format. Besides that I have no decent graphic programme that removes white backgrounds. I can remove them by using both paint and photo editor but it takes long and it damages the outer lining of the drawing. Is anyone else capable to remove white backgrounds?

Quote:
I think that's a great picture Earniel, but I'd like to incorporate the URL into it. Maybe the back of the shirt can have the address?
Stupid of me not to think of that. That will be the URL of the Entmoot then? And not only the Tolkientrail? In most products the URL can go on the back, I've seen many T-shirts like that before. But it depends on which products you're going to print the entmoot-design on. In some cases I think it's better added under the design itself. I could make two scans, one with the design only, and one with the URL under it.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 AM   #160
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
I can remove them by using both paint and photo editor but it takes long and it damages the outer lining of the drawing. Is anyone else capable to remove white backgrounds?
This ought to do it.

[image removed prior to launch]
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Earniel : 04-23-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote