Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #141
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

You may postulate all you wish, and thank those who agree with you, however, that doesn't mean your way nor definition is the correct/only/alpha and omega, of answers.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #142
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
You may postulate all you wish,
I did not postulate, but rather backed what I said with reasons.
Quote:
however, that doesn't mean your way nor definition is the correct/only/alpha and omega, of answers.
I'm not claiming infallibility. I'm merely explaining what I believe and why I believe it.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #143
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
You may postulate all you wish, and thank those who agree with you, however, that doesn't mean your way nor definition is the correct/only/alpha and omega, of answers.
What's with that mad face? A bit sulky that Lief didn't come to the opposite conclusions maybe?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #144
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Thanks to Lief for an interesting and timely debate. Also for being open and honest about your reasoning and rationale.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #145
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
of course not... that's my job

very good points lief!

the only part i might continue to argue on is the idea that any form of violent defense is justifiable, at least in the realm of war, since we all know we can not always pinpoint just "the bad guys"... but, that goes beyond the realm of torture, and might be an interesting thread in the future when you are less busy
Old 12-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #146
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well three cheers for McCain. Looks like he got Bush to cave in on torturing. I bet Cheney is pretty POed.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #147
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #148
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Remember, this thread is not about specific countries' positions on terror, but on torture's ethics and practicalities. Another thread probably should be made, regarding countries' actual positions on torture. This one is not the right one.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #149
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

As Lief has stated-Please follow his guidlines on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Whether or not the US is involved in torture is not the point of this thread. The practices of other countries are not either. This thread is about the ethics of torture. Obviously, there is the practical aspect that torture often provides bad information. But what about the ethics? If, in a situation such as Danielle Pletka raised, where information is needed now and the lives of innocent people are at stake, should the use of torture be permitted?

Read up everyone.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #150
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Remember, this thread is not about specific countries' positions on terror, but on torture's ethics and practicalities. Another thread probably should be made, regarding countries' actual positions on torture. This one is not the right one.
that's just silly... it's like JDs infamous "you can only post nice things about america in this thread" thread

on topic is one thing, but if you dissect things too far, discussion becomes impossible
Old 12-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #151
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I SO second that.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #152
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
that's just silly... it's like JDs infamous "you can only post nice things about america in this thread" thread

on topic is one thing, but if you dissect things too far, discussion becomes impossible

....er .... no comment

but them rules is rules ..and y'know me .. a stickler for the rules!

btw ..did JD really have a "you can only post nice things about america in this thread" thread ??
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #153
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins

Dissecting things too far can make discussion impossible. However, discussion of whether or not America tortures people has nothing to do with whether or not it should torture people. This thread is about right/wrong, practical/impractical. It's not about whether we do/don't, or whether others do/don't. My original desire was just to discuss the ethics of torture. People wanted me to extend the issue to practicalities as well, and I saw that the issues were strongly related, so I opened the thread up to that. However, this thread is NOT about nations' torture policies, and I strongly disagree that they are so closely related as to make discussion of right/wrong, practical/impractical impossible.

There have been many threads on creationism/evolution. There are related subjects, such as "evidence for creationism," "evidence for evolution." There have been threads such as, "The War in Iraq," "The Elections in Iraq." "Homosexuality," "Homosexual marriage." There are many threads in strongly related subjects. In my opinion, this thread and the other thread I created are far LESS related than most of the others.

I'll try to stop seeming so mad now . I'm just being defensive. But I think I am right .

Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #154
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, thinking you are right is the usual reason for being defensive ... normally though being defensive implies whoever is doing it feels in their heart of hearts they are on dodgy ground (talking in general here you understand, lief)

but this whole dissecting unto pointlessness is kind of the zeitgiest of the moot just now ...

i understand why you have split it ... but it IS very hard to discuss countrie's policies without discussing the morality behind the policies - its just a fact.

oh well, i'll leave you all to it.

Glad you decided it WAS morally wrong overall in the other thread, BTW

best BB

edit** - er ..was i in the wrong thread???

Last edited by Butterbeer : 12-16-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #155
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Zeitgeist is such a cool word.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #156
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
i understand why you have split it ... but it IS very hard to discuss countrie's policies without discussing the morality behind the policies - its just a fact.
That's true. However, it's also true that discussion of the morality can easily deteriorate if discussion of national policies is allowed too. That's what I have experienced a lot on this thread, so I made the other thread as a defense mechanism .
Quote:
Glad you decided it WAS morally wrong overall in the other thread, BTW
Well, I like to have things worked out in my mind. If something is wrong, I like to know why it's wrong, rather than just assuming it.
Quote:
edit** - er ..was i in the wrong thread???
[:-D

Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #157
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Dissecting things too far can make discussion impossible. However, discussion of whether or not America tortures people has nothing to do with whether or not it should torture people. This thread is about right/wrong, practical/impractical. It's not about whether we do/don't, or whether others do/don't. My original desire was just to discuss the ethics of torture. People wanted me to extend the issue to practicalities as well, and I saw that the issues were strongly related, so I opened the thread up to that. However, this thread is NOT about nations' torture policies, and I strongly disagree that they are so closely related as to make discussion of right/wrong, practical/impractical impossible.
i understand, it's just that ethics is so intertwined with present day realities... ethics, in fact, stem from the very cultures we inhabit... so the practices of our culture, and the real world results of those practices are all a part of the picture

if the topic was "is torture ethical from a christian point of view?", you would have a point... the bible would be the deciding factor on ethics in that kind of discussion
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #158
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
....er .... no comment

but them rules is rules ..and y'know me .. a stickler for the rules!

btw ..did JD really have a "you can only post nice things about america in this thread" thread ??
my comment was a little vague and deserves some elaboration, 'cause i do respect the 'moot rules that allow us to discuss difficult topics without having them turn into flame fests

i'm not sure if the thread still exists, but it had a title something like "why i am glad to live in the US", but, instead of opening with a list of positive things about our country, it opened with a post criticizing the policies of other nations... to which many responded that the US has it's problems too... these comments were deemed off-topic and deleted... so JD had, in effect, created a thread where he could say anything negative he wanted about other countries with no possibility for anyone to respond to those claims by comparing with US policy

i give him an A for ingenuity

it's a good example of how a rule like "off-topic", which certainly has some positive aspects, can also be discourage civil debate if taken too literally