Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #141
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemel
And a PS .... wouldn't it be better for us to say - we owe that generation so much? I REALLY dislike this wrangling over Europe and USAmerica, and especially today of all days.
You know - we'e AMERICANS - why the hell do you use this USAmerica. Use America and American which what we are called or if you are referring to the country - use the US. We are called AMERICANS! Thi shas been bugging the hell out of me ever since I first saw you refer to use as USAmericans.

Oh - and i don't need a lecture on Canadians being Americans too - because they're not - they're north Americans - like Americans, Mexicans, Cubans. While Brazilians, Peruvians, etc are South Americans.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-06-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:13 PM   #142
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
You know - we'e AMERICANS - why the hell do you use this USAmerica. Use America and American which what we are called or if you are referring to the country - use the US. We are called AMERICANS! Thi shas been bugging the hell out of me ever since I first saw you refer to use as USAmericans.

Oh - and i don't need a lecture on Canadians being Americans too - because they're not - they're north Americans - like Americans, Mexicans, Cubans. While Brazilians, Peruvians, etc are South Americans.
Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #143
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
The continent is called America, therefore any person born in that continent should be called American. Mexicans, Brazilians are americans too.
The fact that the people of the US of America tend to call themselves americans does not make them the only ones to be called like that. Canadians are also americans, and if they are to be called North Americans because they are from the Northern part of America, then the people of the US and Mexico which are also from North America should be called like that.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:18 AM   #144
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:41 AM   #145
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
The continent is called America, therefore any person born in that continent should be called American. Mexicans, Brazilians are americans too.
The fact that the people of the US of America tend to call themselves americans does not make them the only ones to be called like that. Canadians are also americans, and if they are to be called North Americans because they are from the Northern part of America, then the people of the US and Mexico which are also from North America should be called like that.
NO -most of the world considers it to be TWO continents which is NORTH and SOUTH America. We are Americans and The world has recognized us as Americans for a very long time and that is what we are called. Therefore - regardless of what you or other outsiders may thing - i would apprciate being called American.

Quote:
7 continents
By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass).
These six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia/Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.

And no Ragnarok - I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed - I had a very good day.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-07-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 AM   #146
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
JD:
Surely you have heard the poll performed by Europe that shows that the majority of Europeans think that the US is more dangerous than North Korea - right?
Then instead of ranting on about how wonderful USAmerica is, should you be pausing to ask yourself why? Is it just that those of us over here are terribly prejudiced or malinformed? Or might there be other reasons, or even valid criticisms?

And sorry, JD, that it upsets you (and apologies to anyone else), but I intend to continue to use the construction USAmericans. It makes it very clear about whom I am speaking. Besides, you cannot claim to be 'Americans' because there are a lot of people who rightfully are also this, yet do not come from the United States. With respect it does strike me as a little arrogant that there is a nominal claim to the whole two continents!

But perhaps, JD, you'd be interested to know why I first started using that phrase? Because one of my CANADIAN friends was most upset when, in an attempt to distinguish between north and south America and yet still refer to USAmericans I used the term 'North Americans'.

Which maybe raises a couple of questions too.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:40 AM   #147
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenAnnesLace

[b]

You are talking hogwash. The French have either bailed out, stayed neutral, or been two faced (no other way to put it).

And as for the statue of liberty-what is your point? It was NOT thing WE (Americans) wanted....IT was a gift, from France none the less,it's still a question to me. OH- I know why they said, but ........

Boy oh boy did you miss the point.
Re-read my post for the point. I am sure it was not lost on most readers.

If you are not sharp enough, dont draw the blade.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #148
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What was the point Fenir? Sorry, but I'm too lazy/busy for word games.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM   #149
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

He argues that we should be grateful for what America has done in the past forever. France, not exactly his flavour of the month, was once Americas greatest ally, and supporter against the British. So shouldnt HE be forever grateful to the french?

The point is, though America has helped us in the past, just as America has been helped, perhaps America has done something recently that we do not approve, just as france has?

Funny, I know that makes sense, but, say I with due glee:

"Bring on the dissection of every syllable!"

Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #150
jerseydevil

Quote:
Then instead of ranting on about how wonderful USAmerica is, should you be pausing to ask yourself why? Is it just that those of us over here are terribly prejudiced or malinformed? Or might there be other reasons, or even valid criticisms?
You are prejudiced. You know what - the thing is America and Americans never do anything right in Europeans eyes. We don't answer to you - nor should you expect it. But you do. You are perfectly happy us getting to a war in Bosnia to protect your damn interests - but god forbid the US does something without your approval. Have YOU been to the United States? Have you seen Americans in America with your eyes - and not on TV, not tourists in a strange land? Because I HAVE been to England.
Quote:

And sorry, JD, that it upsets you (and apologies to anyone else), but I intend to continue to use the construction USAmericans. It makes it very clear about whom I am speaking. Besides, you cannot claim to be 'Americans' because there are a lot of people who rightfully are also this, yet do not come from the United States. With respect it does strike me as a little arrogant that there is a nominal claim to the whole two continents!
There is not a claim to the WHOLE two continents in there. It is referring to Americans - those living and citizens of the US. Sorry - but WE are Americans. You can continue to use your ridiculous construction all you want - it just shows your contempt for NOT calling us what we have been called for 100's of years.
Quote:

But perhaps, JD, you'd be interested to know why I first started using that phrase? Because one of my CANADIAN friends was most upset when, in an attempt to distinguish between north and south America and yet still refer to USAmericans I used the term 'North Americans'.
All Canadians I have heard use the phrase North Americans to refer to people in the northern hemisphere of the western hemisphere. So I see how it is - you don't care how an American views the term - of not being called by our proper name - Americans - you care more about how a single Canadian feels - when they use the term North American themselves. I have been to Canada MANY MANY times - how many times have you been there?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-07-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #151
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenir_LacDanan
He argues that we should be grateful for what America has done in the past forever. France, not exactly his flavour of the month, was once Americas greatest ally, and supporter against the British. So shouldnt HE be forever grateful to the french?
We are grateful to France - but France even during the Revolution - was condescending and arrogant toward Americans. The only REAL French person who actually loved America was Lafayette. Oh - the country loved our quaint colonials and our revolutionary ideas and they were inspired by our convictions and Constitutions and our demoncracy. At the same time - benjamin Franklin played on their prejudices. Acted like the backwoods revolutionary by wearing a beaver skin cap to court. He never wore a beaver skin cap here.

Also - it was not until the very end - after we had proven that we could win the war against England (and yes - I used England - because let's face it - England took over Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - and since someone will use USAmerican - I will use whatever damn construction I want to). It wasn't a losing battle for them.

Quote:

The point is, though America has helped us in the past, just as America has been helped, perhaps America has done something recently that we do not approve, just as france has?
Yeah - we have helped YOU far more than you have helped us. We went into Vietnam because of France and they bailed. We went into Bosnia - we have fought TWO World Wars to protect you and save your asses.

And it's not about endless gratitute - it's about the damn prejudice Europeans have toward Americans. Their arrogant attitudes that we are an immature country and Europeans are so superior. Well you know what - it was only 60 years ago that the so called mature europeans were gassing people - and it was germany - but it wasn't stopped by the other European countries. They really didn't have much problem with the rounding up and concentration camps - it was when Germany attacked Poland that Europe woke up.

What the EU is doing - and I have heard Europeans say this is the first time in history such a thing has tried to be accomplished - we did it over 200 years ago. We brought together 13 unique and individual countries - to form a larger country. Most Europeans only look at us as the United States - but we are made up of individual sovereign states - with our own laws, customs, heritage and history. Fat Middle said - when I had made the comment that Europe can learn a lot about how to develop the EU by looking at how we formed the US during the Constitutional Convention. His comment was that that was like a little boy telling an old man about life. Please - countries don't experience their own histories - countries don't have memories. The experience of past generations and knownledge aren't remembered by current generations - they are LEARNED through books. Europeans learn about their history the same way we learn about their history - through books. Just because a country is older - does NOT mean it is smarter or more intelligent. That is the arrogant attitude that ruitinely comes out of Europe.

What I find interesting - is that there was a conversation on Entmoot a whiel ago about America and how very few Europeans really know our history and about how the Constitution was developed in America. Well - the answer that was given back was - why should we - it's American history - not European. Isn't that the attitude that Americans are always criticized about? The thing - that isn't the first European who I heard state that. As I posted it before - how many history books on America do you guys have? How much have you studied AMERICAN history? I know I have studied European - mostly limited to British, Russian and some World War II ) - but it seems like I have made more of an effort to understand YOUR history and countries - than many of your bitching and moaning about us have taken to study OUR history.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-07-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #152
Hemel
Elven Warrior

JD you really are going to blow a blood vessel one day. Why on earth do you get so uptight?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #153
jerseydevil

Quote:

JD you really are going to blow a blood vessel one day. Why on earth do you get so uptight?
I'm not uptight - just sick and tired of the constant whining and insults directed toward America and Americans - when more than half of you have never even been here or even bothered to study anything about America.

So many people here, including you, have no problem telling me the way America is and what I find really arrogant is the fact that based on a CANADIAN you have taken it upon yourself to change what citizens of the United States are called. You don't live here, as far as I know you have NEVERR been here or stepped foot on American soil.

Europeans hatred isn't recent - it is well known that Europeans had contempt for Reagan and hated him and hated his ideas of building up armed forces in order to topple the Soviet Union.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #154
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Whats that CCR song again?

"some folks are born MADE to wave the flag. ooh theyre red white and blue..."

Is it the 4th of July yet or something?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #155
Hemel
Elven Warrior

You slay me, JD, you really do!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #156
Coney II
Elven Warrior

[PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED]

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
Old 06-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #157
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
NO -most of the world considers it to be TWO continents which is NORTH and SOUTH America. We are Americans and The world has recognized us as Americans for a very long time and that is what we are called. Therefore - regardless of what you or other outsiders may thing - i would apprciate being called American.

And no Ragnarok - I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed - I had a very good day.
JD -- I'm afraid I agree with Maedhros...the United States doesn't have the deed to the two continents which got stuck with Mr. Vespucci's first name to identify them.

Sweetie, I'm a US citizen, too, not a Canadian, and if people who live on the American continents want to be identified as American, too, that's all right by me.

Personally, I think the term US citizen identifies me well, and I rather like being identified with UNITED states, as it indicates a unity of ideals among many individuals, which, IMO, is a good way to look at our country overall.

Of course, many of us aren't in unity with your ideals, so I suppose that makes us second-class United States citizens...

So, play nice all you little hotheaded boys, be you from New Jersey, Canada or points east...

(and p.s., JD -- I finally went to your link about the legend of the Jersey Devil -- a very good yarn. An interesting tale, indeed.)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 06-07-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #158
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I'm not uptight - just sick and tired of the constant whining and insults directed toward America and Americans - when more than half of you have never even been here or even bothered to study anything about America.
Perhaps the rest of us are sick and tired of your constant whining and insults directed towards us? If you would just bloody calm down and look at things rationally, and above all, stop defending every little minute comment about America to the utterly over-the-top degree, and stop verbally harassing anyone who makes a comment at all, we might all just get along?

What are you reaching for your shot gun now to defend? The fact that Americans cannot lay sole claim to that title? That only you and yours can have the dubious honor of being refered to as 'americans'? Oh come on. No ones gonna post anything if they know your gonna come over the top and smash them with your huge posts and arrogant attitude.

You cant defend everything America does, so dont try. If you didn't get so damn uptight about everything "anti US" (see the "americans are shorter than Europeans" thread for a good chortle), these threads would just fade off the front page, and you could stop going on about them.

Ah. That feels a lot better.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:25 PM   #159
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenir_LacDanan
...and above all, stop defending every little minute comment about America to the utterly over-the-top degree...

...The fact that Americans cannot lay sole claim to that title? That only you and yours can have the dubious honor of being refered to as 'americans'? ...

You cant defend everything America does, so dont try...
Uh, Fenir... which 'America' and 'Americans' are you talking about? The US citizen variety? Or all the North and South Americans?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:53 PM   #160
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I think that this is attitude that Erasmus had in mind when he was referring to the Folly when he wrote his famous book.
This is sad really. The land mass from Alaska in the North and Tierra de Fuego in the South is called America. If people want to divide it in two parts be my guest, but the people of the North American continent should be called North Americans while their counterparts of the South American continent should be called south americans, but both are americans, because they live (or where born) in the Continent which is called America.
The people of the world called the people of the US americans because of it's ease of use. It is certainly easier to say Americans than united statesians of america.
As for the outsider reference I think that it is sad. I remember that in my eng. Economics classes at the U of Louisville, our professor who happened to be from the US made a commentary, the exact opposite of you. He said that those of us, who were mexicans, canadians, peruvians, etc, were americans because we were born on the same continent.
I have no problem calling you an american because you were born in the US, but anyone who was born in Mexico I would call an american too.
It is sad really, it is this kind of thinking that brings bad publicity to te good people of the US of America.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Closed Thread