Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #141
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I think that since we are humans, we are able to freely choose what we consider important; physical attractions or personality. Isn't it a little too easy to say that we can't change things? It's a question of how we want our society to be like.
But obviously, most posters here doesn't want the same as me
Of course personality is more important and in the perfect world people wouldn't look at the way someone talks, walks or looks. But in reality - both matter. And on INITIAL impressions - looks matter more.

When it comes to Hollywood stars - everyone sees them on the screen - very few people know what they are really like. My sister worked at a PR agency in Hollywood - a lot of stars that people like are not nice at all, but they have the looks (and some have the talent). But the audience judges actors on their looks. Why does everyone seem to be fawning all over Elijah Wood? He played Frodo - he's not Frodo. Most people seem to like him because of his looks. He is a good actor though - I've seen most of his movies. But usually when people like an actor or musician or something - it's not because of personality - it's because of looks (sometimes because the get the character confused with the actor and sometimes because they're talented).

By the way - I agree that some things are influenced by the media. It does have an influence with the magazine covers and everything else, but it's our decision as to whether we want o accept what they give us. It's sort of funny how everyone is still going on about Marilyn Monroe, but by todays "standards" she would be considered overweight. But the waif look was brought on by viewers, not just the media. I've heard people say things - "man they're getting fat" when they see an actor come back from being on break. Sorry - but if Jennifer Aniston gained 200 hundred pounds, most people wouldn't want to see her in the role she currently plays on Friends. I have a friend, who actually said that Britney Spears can lose some weight. I tried explaining to her that Britney Spears is in shape - not waif thin with no muscles.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-06-2002 at 03:39 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #142
Sween
im quite stupid

Ive a lot of respect for old britney. we dont know for sure what her ankle or was it knee operation really was. But as anyone that studys the female form can tell her body is not there by shear luck. that is one hard worked on body. She obvosly does a lot of physical exercise. that is not her natral shape.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:21 PM   #143
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
well samwiselvr2008 has sent me some wird e-mails saying im going to stright to hell . So lets just ignor her she seems to be a religious nut
sorry sween, if you had told me that it botherd you, and if i had known that it gave you that expresion, then i would have never said that, and would have stopped! and i was just in that mood at the moment.

and yes i do love God, but i will try to liten up some if it is bothering every one! just email me, or pm me if amthing that i do bothers you all! i try not to bother you all, but sometimes i just get all cout up in things, and say things that i later wish that i haddent, like the leg thing, i really did not wont anyone to know about it, because everyone that knows me personly allready new about it, and i thought that it was cool that you all did not know about it, but know i can not change it, b/c people will think that i did it just so that others could not prove there point!

i am SO sorry, just tell me whene i anoy or bother you, and i will stop! SORRY!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:32 PM   #144
jerseydevil

Well you really shouldn't back down from your beliefs. And you shouldn't stop sticking up for your beliefs just because someone might not agree.

But you do have to think before you post too. If you think you might say something that you might regret - make sure you think about it before submitting. Everyone has said stuff that has annoyed someone on here. Also - if you stopped talking everytime something bothered or annoyed someone you'd never be able to say anything.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-06-2002 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:39 PM   #145
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

i finally thought up a answer to what someone asked arlier (i was thinking about this all day!)

the dif. between a creem and a ps is that creem is cheap, simple, and easy, and not that obsesive about changing the way you look! but, plastic surgery on the other hand is getting WAY to conserned about the way you look!

if it will truly make YOU happy, and you are not doing it just b/c of what someone else thinks then it is okay, b/c like whoever posted earlyer about the lady that could not see her eyes, i bet that SHE was happy to see her eyes, i couldn't imagine having a hard time seeing mine, i would hate it!

i am proved partly rong! congagulations every one!

thanks jd, but still, tell me if i am anoying you! i was so upset about that, becuase i didn't even notice that i was doing it, that i would have left this site if i never desided to check out the posts one last time!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 08-06-2002 at 10:45 PM.
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:10 AM   #146
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

(I think metal wings would be an interesting look for you BH, very scary!!)
Metal wings are merely an accessory for me. Not an entire look.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 08-07-2002 at 11:13 AM.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:31 PM   #147
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Fine.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:36 PM   #148
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

My! I've so much to say I don't know how to order it! I'll just muddle on through, shall I?

Jersydevil says:
Quote:
All you have to do to see this in action in nature is to watch nature shows. The peacock with the best plumage gets the "girl". Sorry but that's how the animal kingdom works and since we are just animals we have the same instincts.
This is unfortunately very much how our society works. About appearances, we often behave no better than the animal kingdom, automatically giving more attention and often more respect to the people with the best "plumage". This is both a great saddness and a cheap excuse by our society at large to ignore bigotted behavior. It is quite natural for animals to go for the best plumage, but while we are mammals, we have rational thought and are quite capable of not judging a book by its cover if we could get over our intellectual lazyness. We are products of our culture, and too often we let TV, magazines and celebrities do our thinking for us.

Another thought on the animal thing, emotionally the whole plastic surgery issue isn't that unnatural. I watched a bird strip off bits of paper and add it to his tail to make it more attractive. Animals also use "unnatural" means to improve their appearence. They just aren't accesible to plastic surgeons and fat wallets.

As far as actresses go, if you are a woman who acts or sings you have to be attractive and young to get attention in this country. it doesn't matter how tallented you are. Our society might let Sean Connery and Harrison Ford still be sexy though they're getting old and wrinkly but it does not hold the same opinion about women in the same proffesion.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #149
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Another thought.
Artanis says:
Quote:
People are generally nicer to a beautiful person than to someone that doesn,t look so good. That's why everyone wants to improve their appearance, and everyone does by some way or another, with make-up, clothes, diets, straightening teeth etc. PS is just another way to do this. Those who have had it, are generally happy with it.
You said it! Try walking around in my shoes. Women may be a majority in the US, but they are still treated like a minority, especially if you are unattractive. I'm not a troll, but I am not a beautiful woman, and the attitudes that I have often had to ignore in public are shameful! I know it is not as bad as the treatment real minorities often recieve by narrow minded, unthinking people. But it still isn't pleasant to live with. I have had salespeople ignore me, waiters ignore me, men through all professions start by treating me like an idiot child, women far prettier than me treat my like was furniture. In this society people equate ugliness with stupidity. I cannot count the times I have had to ignore the suprise on peoples faces when it finnaly hit them that I had a brain! Thinking about this, I can understand very well why some women turn to plastic surgery, if I had a fat wallet I might do it myself!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:35 AM   #150
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Quote:
I'm not a troll, but I am not a beautiful woman, and the attitudes that I have often had to ignore in public are shameful! I know it is not as bad as the treatment real minorities often recieve by narrow minded, unthinking people. But it still isn't pleasant to live with. I have had salespeople ignore me, waiters ignore me, men through all professions start by treating me like an idiot child, women far prettier than me treat my like was furniture. In this society people equate ugliness with stupidity. I cannot count the times I have had to ignore the suprise on peoples faces when it finnaly hit them that I had a brain! Thinking about this, I can understand very well why some women turn to plastic surgery, if I had a fat wallet I might do it myself!
Well since I'm still a teenager I don't get that as much, as far as the public goes, but I do get it at school, here and there. Most people aren't straightforward about it, but I can still tell. Although this happened to me yesterday: There's this really pretty girl who is my BFF and was in our class, and she left this year. So I over heard this one girl talking and saying, "Well now that she's left, who's left to vote for?(She means for class officers, homecoming court, etc.) I mean, there's nobody to vote for anymore, except some of us!" Then she goes on saying, "Well now I'm not going there for sure, now that she's there. I wouldn't talk to her!" The other girls joined in with similar comments. #1, they KNEW I was right there, right next to them, so not only was it insulting to me, #2, they knew she is my BFF so it was being mean to both of us. I would have said somehting but they left before I had the chance. It's things like that that show that not being pretty isn't popular.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #151
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I can relate to that G88. I had a friend who was very skinny, and quite good looking, but she didn't make friends easily and built up her guard by acting exuberant and ditzy. I remember sitting in my graphics & design class one day, and right next to me, someone was making fun of her, by imitating her body language. You can be sure I let them have a piece of my mind!
Old 08-11-2002, 05:17 PM   #152
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Yeah well they would've had a piece of mine too if it weren't for the fact that I'm not very assertive and also they just walked off anyway. And it was so shallow too because they say how there's nobody left to vote for because the pretty girl's left, and then they say how much they don't like her!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:43 PM   #153
jerseydevil

Well a lot, if not most, people are judemental to begin with. I grew up mostly poor, but my sister grew up on the upset extreme. My sister was basically shy though - didn't really talk or anything. But a lot of people accused her of being a snob.

Growing up I was made fun of for being poor and my sister was made fun of for being rich. I was never afraid of having people at our house though - like my sister was. She didn't want people to know what she had. When we first moved to Indiana she had made friends and invited them over. They came over and the first thing they said to her is "your rich" - then the next day in school they made fun of her and told everyone about what she had. After that it took her a lot longer to invite people over. And when my parents built their new house - she didn't want anyone except her existing friends to even know about it. But we lived in a small town and everyone knew.

I know this has nothing really to do with plastic surgery - but it does show how people can judge someone just by external things, whether it's looks, money, where they live, etc.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 06:29 PM   #154
Sween
im quite stupid

how can you be poor and ur sis rich? Did your perents just like her more and give her money?
Old 08-11-2002, 06:36 PM   #155
jerseydevil

Quote:
how can you be poor and ur sis rich? Did your perents just like her more and give her money?
I'm older than my sister. The majority of her life was spent living with the money my parents gained through their hard work. And we didn't really have a lot of money until we moved to Indiana and my father started his company - when my sister was in 7th grade and I was in college.

I had a hand me down girls bike from my cousin Rosemary because my parents couldn't afford it. I never had a Big Wheel and most of my clothes were bought at discount stores or hand me-downs from friends and family. My parents ended up using our vacation money to buy me a boys bike because I was made fun of so bad for it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-11-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #156
Sween
im quite stupid

Oh fair play but my sis is 2 years older than me and she allways got more spent on her cos she was into clothes and they just cannot say no to her
Old 08-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #157
jerseydevil

Quote:
Oh fair play but my sis is 2 years older than me and she allways got more spent on her cos she was into clothes and they just cannot say no to her
That's just not fair. But I had some of that with my my brother too. He's two years younger than me and even for my birthday my grandmother used to give him gifts. I used to complain because I didn't get any gifts on his birthday. She said it was because he was younger and he didn't understand. Sometimes it sucks being the oldest.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 06:46 PM   #158
Sween
im quite stupid

what sucks is not been the most popular. as soon as my younger cousins came along my grandma forgot about me and my sis but screw her we dont like her ne way.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:13 PM   #159
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I was in the same boat as G88 and BoP. My best friend was tall, pretty and popular. She always had more friends, always had boyfriends and went to more parties. I was very jealous and insecure. I remember having to wait after school with her (we walked home together) while she kissed her boyfriend. Ugg all these bad memories being dredged up. And now she is apparently getting married next year and I don't even have a BF!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:20 PM   #160
jerseydevil

Quote:
what sucks is not been the most popular. as soon as my younger cousins came along my grandma forgot about me and my sis but screw her we dont like her ne way.
Actually I know the feeling Sween. My father wasn't supposed to marry my mother - he was supposed to marry my grandmother's best friend's daughter. Well my grandmother never forgave my mother for that and when my cousin's came along we were put off too. I actually over heard my parents have that discussion on the way home from my grandmother's house. They thought I was sleeping in the back seat. I was about 6 or 7 years old.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide