Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #141
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

one thing that really annoys me is when people do stuff like read,put on makeup, talk on a cell phone while reading, etc. while they're driving. It makes the roadways dangerous for everybody else, which is why it annoys me so much. I almost rolled down my window and yelled at a lady in a huge SUV going 60+, turning pages and stuffing her face, today. but i didn't of course.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #142
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I don't have a car.
Bike? Skateboard? *getting desperate*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #143
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elven Archer
one thing that really annoys me is when people do stuff like read,put on makeup, talk on a cell phone while reading, etc. while they're driving. It makes the roadways dangerous for everybody else, which is why it annoys me so much. I almost rolled down my window and yelled at a lady in a huge SUV going 60+, turning pages and stuffing her face, today. but i didn't of course.
I just throw objects at people like that. Makes them lose control. Then you can blame the cell phone.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #144
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

oh, was that you I almost hit today, Elven Archer? (j/k!)

yeah, we narrowly avoided an accident on Saturday - the lady was merrily chatting away on her phone and never even saw anything....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-11-2003, 07:07 AM   #145
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
That's a good idea about the play; I've never heard of that.

How is your sister now? *hopes she is better*
Yeah, they used puppets. They were really cute.

My sister is fine now. Her treatment's worked as far as we can tell. Thanks . She's doing very well; in fact, she has become one of my annoyances. I told her that I would give her a Turkish Delight (because I don't like them). I am too lazy to get in for her (I spent half of my day reading FotR in my bed) but she keeps bugging me about it.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:56 AM   #146
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I glad your sister is better! That's WONDERFUL!! I wish there was a "cure" for "nondescript" brain damage! If only I could "go back in time" and have a C-section, right at the due date! Stupid doctor! The "problem" I'm looking at, is what to say (and when) to the seven year old brother. He hasn't realized she is "different" yet, but it's coming. Mental handicaps are not visible, the young students can understand the obvious physical problems, and show empathy, but mental incapacities are harder to explain to a child, and seem "icky". I don't know, Pardon my gloom! I suspect the brother is going to "resent" being different, when he finds out he is. (because his sister is retarded) It will give him character in the long run. I suppose I should say something soon, before a rude child on the bus says something unpleasant. I have mentioned she has taken special classes for learning problems. I just hate to change the family "dynamic" forever. (Pins and needles! )

How did cancer and physical and mental disabilities get under the "little" annoyances topic! Irony!

Last edited by Lizra : 04-11-2003 at 07:59 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:55 AM   #147
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Lizra, I have no idea how to reply to your post (no matter how many times I read it). It makes me sad, but I can't think of what to say....

Quote:
It will give him character in the long run.
I think it will. I hope it does.

Quote:
I just hate to change the family "dynamic" forever
How so? (sorry)

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:00 AM   #148
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I get annoyed by people who don't know what they're talking about and are afriad to ask. I mean you're not born knowing it so there's nothing wrong with asking.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #149
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yes. That is how I justify bugging 'Mooters so many questions. I like the quote that goes something like this
'He who asks a question is a fool for a minute; he who doesn't ask is a fool for a lifetime'
Old 04-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #150
Aralyn
FloraAzul

That's good cause the other annoying thing is when people treat you like you're stupid cause you don't know.
oh another annoying thing ADMINS! I HATE THE 90SECOND POST RULE ARGH. actually its not so bad but . . .

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 04-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #151
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, right now the family dynamic is the "normal" set up. Mother, father, big sister, little brother. It will be changed to little brother, mentally retarded big sister, etc, when he realizes big sis is not "normal". (like the other kids older sisters and brothers) This changes lots of things. She won't drive, (though she really wants to ) no going off to college, probably no "moving out", no smart/hip big sister! And the whole "who will take care of her when the parents are gone" issue looms large. (The answer is him! That is a big reason why I had another child at 40, to hopefully fill that role! I sure hope he is agreeable! If not, I'm screwed! ) The big sister he has always imagined will be replaced with a "flawed" version, he will probably have feelings of "ick" to deal with. (just like parents have to grieve for the "normal" child of their imagination, that "dies" when a child is born handicapped) If any kids make fun of him, he will have to "deal with it". (He, of course, seems to be one of those kids who is very concerned about meeting the "status quo" . That's pretty normal though.) She doesn't look like most of the other girls her age. While she doesn't bear the hallmarks of Down Syndrome, she does look somewhat "off", she has some muscle tone problems that affect her gait and appearance mildly. I have worked very hard with her for 18 years, but you can only do so much! Being attractive actually takes a bit of intelligence! (though I'm sure we all know some people who are "attractive" , yet seem like blank slates, but I mean it takes smarts to figure out how to "get your look together".)

Then there is the whole issue of her reaction to his "new reaction" to her. She cherishes the role of "smarter big sister". They argue and fight like any brother and sister, but he is smart as a whip, and will easily out-fox her soon. This will be another insult to a lifetime of insults to her intelligence! Geez, I hope I'm making things sound worse than what they are/will be. I am totally bumming myself out! Blea! We still have much work to do. Sorry to go on so, I'm really ok! My smart son will have to "rise to the occasion"! Consider this "A Vent", I feel better.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #152
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
That's good cause the other annoying thing is when people treat you like you're stupid cause you don't know.
oh another annoying thing ADMINS! I HATE THE 90SECOND POST RULE ARGH. actually its not so bad but . . .
Who treats you stupid? No one here has done that to me (not about Tolkien stuff anyway)

If you've read any of my posts, it is clear I detest the 90 second rule too. But I think it's to prevent too much spamming going on. (theory)
Old 04-11-2003, 10:31 AM   #153
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Lizra - I guess the only thing you can do is to raise him as best you can, so that she doesn't feel inferior. Raise him so he understands, and doesn't view his sister as some obligation. That's all I can think of.

Also, don't be so paranoid! He's only 7! But this is the time you need to work on him. My sister at that age developed some of her issues as a result of her being spoilt etc when she was sick (I know this sounds like I am jealous or whatever but it's not like that) If you need it, get professional help. I keep telling my mum this.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:32 AM   #154
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Bet that felt good Lizra

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 04-11-2003, 12:42 PM   #155
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
I get annoyed by people who don't know what they're talking about and are afriad to ask. I mean you're not born knowing it so there's nothing wrong with asking.
What are you talking about?

Old 04-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #156
Aralyn
FloraAzul

ha ha

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 04-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #157
Rían

I knew what you meant, Lizra, about the family dynamic *wistful smilie*....

There's just a different 'feel' when we go out with our middle son, because we know we're going to be stared at and talked about . Again, I don't blame people at all, because he definitely looks different, but it's like you said - it's not the 'normal' set-up.

When he was first born, I would arrange his blankets when he was out in the stroller so you couldn't tell his legs were short, because I just didn't have the energy to deal with the stares/questions. Not at all because I didn't love him, because I did (he's a doll!), but it just gets tiring answering questions and having people stare, and you want people to see him just as a baby, not as a 'handicapped baby'. That's why whenever people ask me about him, I always tell them his name first, because he is a PERSON who happens to have a handicap.

Funny story about the blankets, tho - I was waiting at a doctor's office once, and this lady comes up to the stroller and gushes "Ooh, I just LOVE babies' feet!" and whips off his blanket -- and stood there gaping at him with her mouth hanging open and making incoherent noises! I just made comforting little comments ("oh, that's just the way he was born, but he's very healthy in other ways, etc.") until she could finally talk again - I bet she'll NEVER take a baby's blanket off again!!

Old 04-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #158
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Funny story about the blankets, tho - I was waiting at a doctor's office once, and this lady comes up to the stroller and gushes "Ooh, I just LOVE babies' feet!" and whips off his blanket -- and stood there gaping at him with her mouth hanging open and making incoherent noises! I just made comforting little comments ("oh, that's just the way he was born, but he's very healthy in other ways, etc.") until she could finally talk again - I bet she'll NEVER take a baby's blanket off again!!
I don't know whether that is funny or sad...

I'll put in both smilies!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #159
Rían

Yeah, I didn't mean I was rolling in the aisles laughing or anything.... I often use 'funny' for 'ironic', I guess. But it does help to see the funny side in situations like that. I think you are quite right - it rates both a sad and funny smilie.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:03 PM   #160
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Oh my god how awful. Definitely has to be up there on her top 10 most embarrassing moments. Reminds me of congratulating someone on their pregnancy and saying it must be due soon. When do they give birth? And they reply oh Im not pregnant.... Ive done this before. Ga!