Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2001, 01:14 AM   #141
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Update: I've finished Fires of Heaven - doing a quick re-read of LOTR before I proceed to Lord of Chaos.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:42 AM   #142
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Good job! I'm just starting Fires of Heaven myself. For the second time, of course, but I'm enjoying rereading these. Especially when I run into something that points towards either far future or far past actions.

Mat still has to go through most of his prophesies too. I'm really wondering what's going to come out of that, and I hope it'll end up binding the Seanchan to Rand as well.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:55 PM   #143
Edhellion
Sapling

Wheel of the Time is the Best

There is for me little doubt about the Wheel of Time. I've read all nine books and every time I fnish one, I have to wait one or two years before the next one comes out. I finished book 9 about 3 months ago, so you must understand I'm already starting to shake and spasm, so forgive me my typo's. Did I say the Wheel of Time was the best? It is, but don't read it until you've read the Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings started it all, and without it, we probably wouldn't even have a Wheel of Time. So my advice is: first read Lord of the Rings and then the Wheel of Time.
Edhellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 10:14 AM   #144
Tailin
Sapling

Wheel Of Time Role Play

I'll just have to tell those interested that if you want to Role-Play in the Wheel Of Time enviroment, go to: www.wheeloftimerp.com.And, glad to be a member here. The names Viktor.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:26 AM   #145
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hmm. Maybe it's because I just re-read LOTR and Harry Potter, so this is just a relative effect, but... for some reason Lord of Chaos seems really, really slow to me. I'm through the first third of it or so, and quite frankly not much has happened.

That's the thing that bothers me about Jordan's writing sometimes. From what I've read, I'd say he's a wonderful plotter, and I love the underlying concepts of the WoT universe... but the characters get so introspective sometimes that it really drags the narrative.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 12-06-2001, 04:20 PM   #146
Ace
Hobbit

Wheel of Time is beeping awesome! It is second best to LOTR. One reason it has to be second best is because Jordan is taking too long to complete the series. Tolkien did it all in very few books.
I agree that Jordan would need to write at least 4 more books to wrap up all the loose ends he's introduced. I have read all nine books, some of you at the beginning of the post wrote Path of Daggers was the latest, but Winter's Heart is the newest novel. Probably when you wrote it was the newest.
I eagerly anticipate book ten, no book stores I've visited know when the next book is coming out. But Jordan rules, Shadar Logoth, Forsaken, Defenders, the Black Tower, sa'angreal's, it's all there. Anyone know anything about the next book, send me a message or emsil dadamson@mail.colgate.edu

"If the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 01:07 AM   #147
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Since this is being discussed again, the thread belongs back on top.

After a long, long hiatus from WOT, I got back to it... now halfway through A Crown of Swords. You know, sometimes I get the feeling that I'd enjoy WOT a whole lot more if there was actually an ending in sight... Jordan's great at creating political intrigue arcs and the like, but what's the point if they don't go anywhere?

Old 03-05-2002, 12:17 AM   #148
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I like Wheel of Time. Not nearly as much as Tolkien, of course, but I do enjoy them quite a bit. I haven't been able to find the fourth one because my local bookstores are retarded, but I'm planning to finish the series. Someday.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 04:44 AM   #149
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I agree that The Lord of the Rings is definitely first among equals.
Then comes The Wheel of Time-series (which appears to go on forever) and finally The Shanara-series (d).
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 09:55 AM   #150
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

here is a wheel of time joke i made up myself.

And so Rand drew the sword that cannot be drawn, because he was a really good doodler.

my sisters (who hadn't read that part) were so shocked they were not able to talk for a sec.

Last edited by Tessar : 03-17-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:09 PM   #151
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Heh heh, that's funny, Tesseract!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:35 PM   #152
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Wheel of Time

Wheel of Time was OK but it didnt have enough variety in the monster department. - And the Good
Magic in the series needs a little more kick
The Town descriptions were kewl though and the wilderness too

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:31 AM   #153
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My mom won't let me read anymore WOT till I "read something good for me"
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:13 PM   #154
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Re: Wheel of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Brimvalir
Wheel of Time was OK but it didnt have enough variety in the monster department. - And the Good
Magic in the series needs a little more kick
The Town descriptions were kewl though and the wilderness too
You didn't think there were enough monsters? Sheesh, I would hate to live in a world with that many monsters! At least LotR only has Orcs, Wargs & Balrogs (forgive me if I missed any). WoT has Trollocs, Myrdraal, Draghkar, Golems, Worms, those weird beasts the Seanchan ride on, not to mention Forsaken and Darkfriends.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:38 PM   #155
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Re: Re: Wheel of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend

You didn't think there were enough monsters? Sheesh, I would hate to live in a world with that many monsters! At least LotR only has Orcs, Wargs & Balrogs (forgive me if I missed any). WoT has Trollocs, Myrdraal, Draghkar, Golems, Worms, those weird beasts the Seanchan ride on, not to mention Forsaken and Darkfriends.
Most definatly agree. You only get more monsters in tv cartoons where they keep tossing in bad guys for variety.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 05:30 PM   #156
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Khadrane
I like Wheel of Time. Not nearly as much as Tolkien, of course, but I do enjoy them quite a bit. I haven't been able to find the fourth one because my local bookstores are retarded, but I'm planning to finish the series. Someday.
I've changed my mind since then. I tried to read the fifth one, but it was so freakin' boring! The first ones were good, but the later ones are really lame.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:49 PM   #157
aeglos
Hobbit

wot

I have read the books up to Winters Heart. To me Jordon is introducing way to many storylines that will be very hard to pull togehter at the end. Tolkien was wise to keep the quest serperate from the other charactors. Jordan just keeps coming up with possibilities, the latest seems to be that Logan might be the one who comes out on top. The guys not getting any younger and to be fair to the fans he should start tying up some of these storylines. BTW the last book was such a disappointment,it hardlt was worth the effort.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #158
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Robert Jordan wouldn't make all of these different story lines unless he had a plan for tying them up in the end. He tied up a really important one at the end of this most recent book, Winter's Heart. But there are still many left, and I'm really excited to see what happens next.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with both you, aeglos and Khadrane, too. I have enormously enjoyed all of them and am dying to read the next one, which comes out in November.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:21 AM   #159
elendili
Elven Warrior

I've just finished the first book & enjoyed it but it was really similar to the lotr like the myrdraal and the nazgul and the trollocs and orcs but maybe I should read it again

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:15 AM   #160
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

I bought the first book in July and burned through 1-7 in slightly more than a month in my eagerness to read them. My reading is slowed now in Book 8 due to heavy schoolwork.

I do find the books a little draggy nowadays but the endings are always inspiring, and make it worth the time. Like Book 5 was a drag but it had one of the best endings. I like 1, 3, 6 and think 7 was a pile of crap.

From a WoT site I read, I remember that the series will stop at Book 14 or a similar number, as confirmed by RJ himself. The conclusion isn't that far off. We're already more than halfway there.

Has anyone visited the WoT FAQ at http://www.linuxmafia.com/jordan/0_a....01_intro.html ? It is somewhat to WoT as what the Encyclopedia of Arda is to Middle-Earth.

Last edited by Selwythe : 09-29-2002 at 06:16 AM.
Selwythe is offline   Reply With Quote