Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #141
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You could always try to draw one yourself in the style, or find someone who can do so for you.

For me, if I ever get one, I want it to be my own design. But considering I can't decide between the stylised whale I drew a few years back or maybe going for a frog, it's not going to be any time soon.
I'm surprised you don't have a frog tattoo already!

I am very fond of Haida art, and there is a frog one too! [link]
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #142
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
I'm surprised you don't have a frog tattoo already!

I am very fond of Haida art, and there is a frog one too! [link]
Nurv, there are over 6000 species of frogs. I can't choose!

And my art skills aren't good enough with frogs yet. The Haida ones look nice, though.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #143
Mari
Elf Lady

You could try and see how many species fit on one human body... You could make an experiment out of it and you wouldn't have to choose!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #144
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

I don't really like tattoos or tons of piercings, especially when someone has tattoos basically covering their whole body. And the thing about tattoos is that you'll probably want them off eventually (like when you're 80).
I have one piercing per ear. I think that people look ok with up to 2 or 3 piercings, though some people can pull off more. I probably would never get a tattoo, and if I did it would be small and in a spot that I could easily cover up if I worked in an office, etc. or for when I went to a nice event. (But I don't plan on getting one anyway.) Lip, nose, tongue, eyebrow, and bellybutton piercings just look awakward and/or painful to me, especially when you're eating for the lip and tongue ones.
It's not like I would'nt make friends with some people with tattoos or lots of piercings if they're nice people, it's just that tattoos/tons of piercings can make you look unapproachable if not done the right way.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #145
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Wow... that's... narrowminded. Hope ya grow out of that. Judging books by covers, etc.

FTR, eating with a tongue stud is easy. You don't even notice once the pain goes away.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #146
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
You could try and see how many species fit on one human body... You could make an experiment out of it and you wouldn't have to choose!
I like frogs, but there is a limit. In this case I think 'less is more' applies. Besides, what would I do if new species are discovered and I've run out of space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I View Post
And the thing about tattoos is that you'll probably want them off eventually (like when you're 80).
You'll probably want to get rid of your bad hip at 80 too, does that mean you should never have gotten the original? Think of it this way: you had a nice tattoo to enjoy for a good 50 to 60 years when you turn 80. Most people may think that period worthwhile enough even if it turns ugly after 80. (And not everybody gets to 80 to have such regrets in the first place...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
FTR, eating with a tongue stud is easy. You don't even notice once the pain goes away.
To be honest, I had wondered about that too.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #147
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow... that's... narrowminded. Hope ya grow out of that. Judging books by covers, etc.
Actually, I wouldn't say that's specifically narrow-minded because he/she is only put off by some tattoos. All humans have some kind of opinion about how people should look - we get this from our respective cultures. You're only narrow-minded if don't make an effort to ignore that "negative" aspect of someone's appearance, recognising that it's superficial and not a reflection on the person's character.

Quote:
I've heard the only problem is that some studs can chip your teeth, but you can find ones made of silicone (I think?) that won't. I think tongue studs are so cool, but like fancy shoes, they are things I want other people to have so I can enjoy looking at them.

Sadly, there's still a quasi-taboo on tattoos in the office. [link]
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #148
Mari
Elf Lady

At work they asedk me to take out my second earpierce. It's only a very small stud and hardly noticeable... I was asked to put them back in when they too realized that the hole was more visible then the studs.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #149
Earniel

Sound familiar, several of my old class mates removed their piercings after graduating to improve their chances when they started looking for a job. I do have a colleague with three tattoos that are visible once in a while, but no one at work has got piercings except one or two small once in the ears.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #150
Mari
Elf Lady

Yes, I have 2 in both ears, the second pierce only having very small studs, you know, little pinkish thingies. *goes to check if they are even visible on the pic of her in the the pic-thread*

Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #151
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't say that's specifically narrow-minded because he/she is only put off by some tattoos.
Wasn't that particular bit I was referring to. More this:

t's not like I would'nt make friends with some people with tattoos or lots of piercings if they're nice people, it's just that tattoos/tons of piercings can make you look unapproachable if not done the right way.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 AM   #152
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

By the time I'M 80, I'm quite convinced there will be a way to remove the tattoo. Hopefully painlessly .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 AM   #153
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I like frogs, but there is a limit. In this case I think 'less is more' applies. Besides, what would I do if new species are discovered and I've run out of space?
The simple answer is to prepare yourself for that event NOW.

You need a larger canvas, and I don't think I'm the only one who's come to that conclusion.

... Chocolates, anyone? Earniel? Have a few. Dozen. Lets wide-screen this baby. ^_^
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #154
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
At work they asedk me to take out my second earpierce. It's only a very small stud and hardly noticeable... I was asked to put them back in when they too realized that the hole was more visible then the studs.
Heehee - that's funny!

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't say that's specifically narrow-minded because he/she is only put off by some tattoos.
Yeah, some are kind of hateful-looking.

I've been thinking of getting a little floral/plant thingy on my ankle, but I just had to have an MRI for my bum foot and they always ask if you have tatoos - why is that?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #155
Mari
Elf Lady

Perhaps the metals in the tattoo-ink can mess up the scan?
By the way: people with tattoos risk not being allowed to enter a pool or bath, or being asked to cover it up in Japan. Tattoos are strongly related to the yakuza (Japanese mafia), that's why.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #156
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
... Chocolates, anyone? Earniel? Have a few. Dozen. Lets wide-screen this baby. ^_^
Gee, that's awefully thoughtful of you, Tessar, that way I don't even have to worry about ever getting to 80, the cirrhosis will see me off first!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #157
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Wasn't that particular bit I was referring to. More this:

t's not like I would'nt make friends with some people with tattoos or lots of piercings if they're nice people, it's just that tattoos/tons of piercings can make you look unapproachable if not done the right way.
I actually thought that was a pretty moderate assessment. Many tattoos are designed to intimidate. It would be sad for the owners if they didn't work for that.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #158
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*shrug* Maybe it's a matter of perception. A lot of tattooed people over here aren't. We have lots of 'traditional' ones worn by the maori & pacific island peoples.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #159
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
*shrug* Maybe it's a matter of perception. A lot of tattooed people over here aren't. We have lots of 'traditional' ones worn by the maori & pacific island peoples.
Sure, a lot of people here aren't either. My sister has a tattoo, a less intimidating person you'll never meet. And I'm sure Thane PT wouldn't be concerned about her. But a lot of tattoos here are associated with gangs. It's not all "body art." I have a friend who got herself a giant bird tattoo between her breasts for her 30th birthday. Looks like hell, but it's not scary. On the other hand, if you know anything about crime, you'd be an idiot to let a guy with a big gang tattoo mow your lawn.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....28d5b8db.html
It's a matter of perception, but it's also related to things that exist in the real world. It's not nancy-pants prejudice.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #160
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If it's a gang tattoo, sure. I agree with you. What I disagree with is the 'tonnes of tattoos/piercings' bit. Just cos someone's inked up a lot, doesn't mean that they're a gang member, or should be perceived different / as a dangerous person. I mean, there are classic 'danger' tattoos, and if you wanna discriminate against inked people, those are the ones to go for. I guess, I just happened to know a few people who are covered in 'tonnes of tattoos'. That's all I'm saying. *shrug*