Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #141
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, it's too bad we couldn't transplant those into the a footie team.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #142
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... good divers are they?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #143
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

After 23,000 votes in the internet poll of my hometown paper, it's 2-to-1 for Italy. What do northwestern Americans know, anyway!?!? Allez Les Bleus!
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #144
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Stop pissin' on my dreams BB!

Ooh, I don't know who I'm gonna be cheering for in the final - both teams are rockin' kewl. (man, I *hate* that smilie)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #145
Janny
The Blobbit

*pin drops*

Her Majesty the Queen has just made this statement:

"Dear Wayne, in such a hard and intense moment for you, I would like to express the whole nation's affection and admiration for you.

"You are a virtuoso, a genius of football and an exceptional human being. That is why England admires you."

Ha! Ok, I made that up, but imagine. It is actually a translation (source: BBC sport) of what President Chirac said of Zinedine Zidane, with just 2 obvious words changed... How odd.

It should also be mentioned that ZiZi won the player of the tournament award, despite the sending off, since the votes for it were cast by journalists at half-time, after he'd scored, before he'd butted.

I look forward to the many different cultural responses to this... Anyone want to try and answer the question 'why'?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #146
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Many guesses in the press. The most frequent quote is "dirty terrorist", but the French guys I work with say it was something about his mother. I don't know why they say that. They only have the TV, too. Actually, they are brothers and they have french news in their office via video feed.

I don't think Arabs like to be called terrorists, especially if they are loyal French citizens. And especially after the race riots in Paris this spring.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #147
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... in such a hard and intense moment for you, I would like to express the whole nation's affection and admiration for you...

go on my son!

NUT 'IM!!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #148
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I love the bit where some sports journalist in France is saying, "what are we supposed to tell our children?" What kind of weenie question is that? Duh! How about, "Look Johnny. He lost his temper. He got a red card. His team lost the match. Let that be a lesson to you. The team is more important than your pride." It's called a teaching moment.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 AM   #149
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"You are a virtuoso, a genius of football and an exceptional human being. That is why France admires you."

and next up for a french award is ....

all round good 'french egg ' ...

Monsieur Pol POT!!

Let les enfants be terrible! Zey are french no?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #150
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
I love the bit where some sports journalist in France is saying, "what are we supposed to tell our children?" What kind of weenie question is that? Duh! How about, "Look Johnny. He lost his temper. He got a red card. His team lost the match. Let that be a lesson to you. The team is more important than your pride." It's called a teaching moment.

Damn fine question if you ask me:

it's one thing for your explanation as you state to your own child elfhelm:

it is entirely another as a message to france when he head butts an opposing player in the world cup final in front of the watching world as the french icon, French captain and french talisman, effectively ending their french hopes of glory and shaming the french nation to its arrogant garlic ridden putrid heart ...

but to then simultaneously say this:

"... in such a hard and intense moment for you, I would like to express the whole nation's affection and admiration for you.

"You are a virtuoso, a genius of football and an exceptional human being. That is why France admires you."

does rather imply french approval and what message does that send out to the frenchyouth in terms of morality?

anyone seen that BW art house doco style film 'the Battle of Algiers' ?

FORZA ITALIA!!!

they certainly celebrated in style!!!

What great scenes from Rome too!!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-11-2006 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #151
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
I don't think Arabs like to be called terrorists, especially if they are loyal French citizens.
Oh, you don't think? . Zidane is not Arab though - he's of Berber descent.

Congrats to Italy! At last they won a penalty shoot-out! With Italian domestic football currently experiencing its darkest time due to all the allegations of match-rigging, the Italians really deserved this World Cup win to cheer them up.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #152
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

yes match rigging and cheating is obviously deserving of a reward!

(...think of the children Johnathon .... think of the children .... )

best, BB
Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #153
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Well it isn't the common Italians' fault that the big clubs are corrupt and dishonest!

The German manager Jürgen Klinsmann is a hero in Germany. How come the English can't treat Eriksson like that? After all he took the English to the quarter finals where they lost on penalties to a dodgy Portugal
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 07-11-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #154
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Spot on. And usually after the railing, the journos cut back to the routine bombing of civilians in some legitimate war somewhere in a breathtakingly seamless leap of hypocrisy.

It was a totally classy, iconic moment. The way Materazzi went down, he didn't even have to pretend. Apparently he said something about Zizou's mother, sister, grandmother and family pet or something. Bet he wasn't expecting that!

Daft as a brush though.

The English are into full scapegoating mode. They believe that the English premiership, and the players they watch week-in, week-out, are better than they really are for some reason. If they were just a wee bit more realistic they would realise they probably got as far as they deserved.

Having said that, Eriksson did succeed in making the team less than the sum of its parts.

Oh, Janny, excellent post. We already knew Chirac is a tosser, of course, but this is additional evidence.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #155
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

"... in such a hard and intense moment for you, I would like to express the whole nation's affection and admiration for you.

does rather imply french approval and what message does that send out to the frenchyouth in terms of morality?

But the French wouldn't have even made the finals without Zidane.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #156
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
We already knew Chirac is a tosser, of course, but this is additional evidence.
Don't you love the way some English words are mysteriously PG-13? Nicely phrased though!

The BBC hired Italian lip readers to find out what Matarazzi said (Zidane had his back turned to the camera, so they couldn't do his, and one assumes ZiZi speaks Italian...). After wishing a 'an ugly death on you and your family', he suggested Zidane should do something unrepeatable to himself. I think it may lose something in translation. The point is that it was an untimely insult, given his personal situation.

My parents are involved in teaching English to foreignors, and they happened to discuss it with some Arab boys. Their response was that it was good for Zidane. "If someone insults you, you hit them". Stark constrast to the British commentators who say that no provocation merits such a response (at least, not while on the pitch...)

And a final point. After watching it over and over again in slow motion, it does look like Matarazzi dived, which is of course nonsense. From this I can only conclude that the Italians dive at such high, indeed world class, standard that it is really quite hard to tell real from fake...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #157
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

an Argentintian class referee tosser at that, too!

elfhelm: don't get me wrong Zinanutjob was a classic player: but the context of the quote from world class tosser and all round frenchie Chirac was how this was an admirable thing that all France admires!!!

(personally i thought it great!, , best momment of the world cup, but i canna imagine the queen knighting ar' Rooney for stampin on wotsits goolies, can you? )

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-11-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #158
Janny
The Blobbit

See, the really disturbing thing about the Chirac Proclaimation, is that while the Queen wouldn't knight "ar' Rooney for stamping on wotsits goolies", I wouldn't have parodied it using Tony Blair, because the possibility of him saying that really isn't that far gone...

Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #159
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Sven's a twat, Jon, a useless tosser.

Big Phil should be the man! With a coked up sam allardice as assitant and ken dodd and vinne jones.

We need some passion and some pyschos! (kenn dodd is the scapegoat character of course ...but he has funny eyes .... if he is still alive?)

alive or dead he would do better than 3.5 million quid per win ****tard, Erikson!

yours,
mrs unbiased,
of lower brain cells
dorset
ingerland

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-11-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #160
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
See, the really disturbing thing about the Chirac Proclaimation, is that while the Queen wouldn't knight "ar' Rooney for stamping on wotsits goolies", I wouldn't have parodied it using Tony Blair, because the possibility of him saying that really isn't that far gone...
now the queens hubby ... ol' wotsis name ....the Duke of somet .... this'd be right up his private mall eh wot?

(tho' it'd be small fry fer im)