Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2002, 10:48 PM   #141
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Nunc's comment about Harry being "carefully groomed at Hogwarts for whatever's coming" made me think of Ender's Game. Though he's being trained, I don't get the idea that anyone is planning to use Harry as a tool. (Except perhaps Voldemort who has already tried.)

I'm more in agreement with Silverstripe. These are children's books, even if adults enjoy them. Rowling would lose her audience if the stories became too dark and I think many of her readers would feel a sense of betrayal.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:20 PM   #142
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by cee2lee2
Nunc's comment about Harry being "carefully groomed at Hogwarts for whatever's coming" made me think of Ender's Game. Though he's being trained, I don't get the idea that anyone is planning to use Harry as a tool. (Except perhaps Voldemort who has already tried.)

I'm more in agreement with Silverstripe. These are children's books, even if adults enjoy them. Rowling would lose her audience if the stories became too dark and I think many of her readers would feel a sense of betrayal.
Right. The books will be dark, but not THAT dark.
I have always believed the appeal they hold for most adults who enjoy them lies partially in the fact that there ARE clearly good and evil characters, and in the knowledge that good will triumph, and Harry is a character one can really root for. If Harry dies, a part of what makes the books enjoyable is lost.

And if Rowling has a problem with Harry personally killing Voldie and still living, as I think someone mentioned earlier (which is a little silly; people can kill in self-defense and get on with their lives, although they may need therapy), she can have something else happen at the last moment, killing Voldie before Harry has a chance to!
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:52 PM   #143
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
I can't wait for it to come out and Voldemort to get beat.(I hope)

The Wings of the Wind are swift indeed.

I am a bookworm.

"Fly you fools!" I'm no fool, but I would gladly fly!
AudrentheRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:29 AM   #144
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

J.K. Rowling I don't think will have any problem with making Harry kill Voldemort. He's not even human anymore; it'd be like killing an orc or something. You don't feel guilt over something like that .

However, I think I might prefer to see Dumbledor kill Voldemort.

Hey, what if Neville killed him ! Now there would be a way to catch all audiences by surprise!
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:33 AM   #145
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Poor Neville.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:49 AM   #146
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Hey, what if Neville killed him ! Now there would be a way to catch all audiences by surprise!
It certainly would ......... but not as much as it would surprise lil' Neville!

I'd can't wait to find out what is instore for Nev, certainly one of her more endearing characters ........... maybe he'll end up working at Hogwarts, window cleaner in the school greenhouses maybe?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #147
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
i would not be surprised if harry perents come back to life in the end
*shocked look* Sween, that's necromancy and we want none of that casue it ain't pretty!

Quote:
Then Harry won't kill him. Maybe she'll pull a peter pan an he'll get swallowed by one of hagrid's monsters in the middle of a fight!
I really hope not! Thought comedy value of that for a film version would be highly amusing!
Quote:
Wow! We're all so cynical today! Remember what age group Harry Potter is aimed for? Do they typically go around killing off the main characters in children's books?! When the series is NAMED after the character?
Well, not all childrens books are destined for a happy end you know. Have you read Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series? (Northern Lights etc) Because i really didn't expect that ending, it was sad. I expect a similar sad ending from Harry Potter. If that involves death, so be it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:45 AM   #148
Sween
im quite stupid

isnt this ment to be discussing book 5 not book 7. Anyone know what the basic plot of the next one is? Another thing for harry to win with ease? Hes getting a bit good i think it might be an idea for him to lose.

As if harrys perents wont come back to life if evben in ghost form i wanna a supper best friends happy ending to it all
Old 12-05-2002, 09:18 AM   #149
Elfmaster XK

You're right.

I don't think Harry would consider it winning when cedric died, and since JK has said someone important, or that she liked died then that possibly suggests defeat, neh? So, i Harry is getting complacent then...MWHAHA! He's in for a shock. I doubt there will be any kind of outline of the story around.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-05-2002, 01:26 PM   #150
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Well, not all childrens books are destined for a happy end you know. Have you read Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series? (Northern Lights etc) Because i really didn't expect that ending, it was sad. I expect a similar sad ending from Harry Potter. If that involves death, so be it.
None of the Harry Potter books have ever been as dark as The Golden Compass (The Northern Lights), which was probably the least dark of that trilogy.

Personally I thought that it WAS too dark for a children's series, and sometimes the violence gets pretty graphic, too. And the Harry Potter series hasn't come across as a slap in the face to religion (especially Christianity).

So while the book may be fine for adults, I'd suggest parents read it first before letting their kids read it.

But this is a Harry Potter thread, so I'll try not to go into that as much.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:16 PM   #151
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I think Christian parents should probably have an idea of the content of both His Dark Materials and Harry Potter before letting their children read it, simply because of the material that's in them both. Not so much because of violence, but because His Dark Materials contains a point of view which could make people doubt what they were brought up to believe, and Harry Potter could desensitize people to the wrongness of witchcraft.

People might say, isn't it right to be open to all perspectives? Well, if the perspective that they originally hold is truth and the others are lies, then I think that it is wrong to open them to believing lies. That witchcraft and wizardry is good,

or that God is bad .

Now please don't get me wrong when I say this; I have read both Harry Potter and His Dark Materials and like both of them a lot . And I am a Christian. If you don't believe in God, then all that I have said may seem ridiculous to you, and I'm sure that it does.

But if Christianity is correct, and if you look at it from that perspective, then you might see that I have a point. Notice that in my first sentence, I say all Christian parents, not all parents in general .

And anyway, as Silverstripe says, there are things in it that might be disturbing to a child. Such as the killing of good children, and the manipulation and lying of adults.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:24 PM   #152
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
It certainly would ......... but not as much as it would surprise lil' Neville!

I'd can't wait to find out what is instore for Nev, certainly one of her more endearing characters ........... maybe he'll end up working at Hogwarts, window cleaner in the school greenhouses maybe?
He'll end up the Herbology teacher.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:32 PM   #153
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
He'll end up the Herbology teacher.
Should make Prof Snape's trip for his potion ingredients interesting!

Beatallica
Old 12-05-2002, 09:43 PM   #154
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Ah! Forgot about that! Snape will die...and Drace will become the Potions MAster...no that wouldn't work either? Okay Hermione becomes the Potions teacher.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:35 AM   #155
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
Ah! Forgot about that! Snape will die...and Drace will become the Potions MAster...no that wouldn't work either? Okay Hermione becomes the Potions teacher.
Yes, Snape will probably die ... I DON'T WANT SNAPE TO DIE! I don't like him all that much, but hey, he's the only one of his house shown to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

*cries*
Old 12-06-2002, 02:48 AM   #156
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Something on the News

I knew I'd seen something about the book on the news recently

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,3...owwhat,00.html

(If you connection speed is slow you might not want to bother, it's not a very big something).

Beatallica
Old 12-06-2002, 03:35 AM   #157
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

www.the-leaky-cauldron.org is raising money to buy the card. you can contribute, or you can check there after the auction is over, because if they win, they've promised to post the words on their website.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 11:30 AM   #158
Silverstripe

Well, I don't think you're going to be able to gather much info about the book from that, but it sounds fun, anyway!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:38 PM   #159
Elfmaster XK

Does anyone know who got the clue?

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 12-20-2002, 08:18 PM   #160
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

I also heard that the book is comming out in summer 2003 but I didn't here anything about it coming out Christmas 2002 so I'll have to go to the publishers site of harry Potter to find out.
I also have a prediction: Harry will die at the end of book seven because he must die so that Voldemort could really die this time. Remember everyone that I said that when book seven is released.
She also might be delaying the books because there are only three to go and Rowling wants to cherish the moment. This must be my longest post ever.