Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #141
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I listen to Nightwish ever so often. I like having their music in my ears when I'm running.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #142
katya
Elven Maiden

Do you(s) listen to more of old Nightwish or new? The first Nightwish I heard very much besides for "Ghost Love Score" was the album Dark Passion Play. My boyfriend really liked Nightwish and when it came out he played it a lot. So I'm not as familiar with Tarja as the new singer.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #143
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
"And we're back on M.O.O.T. 102,2 with the Moots playing this Nightwish tune esp adapted Katya..."

This is me for forever
One of the lost ones
The one without a name
Without an honest heart as compass

This is me for forever
One without a name
These lines the last endeavor
To find the missing lifeline

Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again
My loving heart
Lost in the dark
For hope I'd give my everything

My flower
Withered between
The pages two and three
The once and forever bloom gone with my sins

Walk the dark path
Sleep with angels
Call the past for help
Touch me with your love
And reveal to me my true name

Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
My loving heart
Lost in the dark

Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
Oh how I wish to dream again
Once and for all
And all for once
Katya my name for evermore

Katya sailing home
Katya letting go

Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
My loving heart
Lost in the dark

Oh how I wish
For soothing rain
Oh how I wish to dream again
Once and for all
And all for once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kOBeMEm2I
Old 05-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #144
katya
Elven Maiden

That's a pretty good song.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #145
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Indeed it is - Im was a bit surprised how good it was. It sounded a bit like metal.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #146
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Proust is on the list. Who knows when I'll ever get around to it, though; there's no point starting unless you're going for the long haul, I think, and with Proust it is a Very, Very Long Haul Indeed.

I don't know if Hume's Treatise is the best place to start with philosophy; of course, I will say any beginning should begin with the father of the whole mess, Plato.

Oh, but no movie could ever do justice to Lolita. Nabokov's prose style is exquisite, and it just wouldn't be the same without it.
Yeah, srsly. I found Part One: Swann's Way at the book store, and it was 700 pages! (and presumably one of the shorter parts, too).

The back cover says it's a good intro, so I was taking its word for it. I don't really NEED an intro, as I've already read some pretty advanced things, including (most of) Russell's Our Knowledge of the External World. I was also considering starting with Kant's Introduction to Logic as the same publisher says it "might as well be called "Intro to Kant's Thought", which I thought would be interesting.

Speaking of which, my final for Ethics was to solve America's declining morality (or prove it doesn't exist) in about three pages. I guess I'm going to fail...because I'm 1/3 of the way through and nearing ten pages!!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #147
Mari
Elf Lady

Noble, I agree. I'm very happy with my reading ^_^
I don't like serious literature stuff, unless it's more or less old. Shakespeare, Austen, Bronte, Dickens, Dutch medieval literature... I like that sort of thing. Modern Dutch literature really really sucks though.

I've been walking around in my summerdress today. Even went cycling with just my summerdress on. Really nice and warm outside.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #148
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
Still, congratulations (however belated!) are due to our new president. Well done, Acally!
Thanks. And welcome back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
So, I gave my dog a bath this morning. She was not very happy with me. She tried to pee on me a couple of times as I was attempting to lift her into the tub (she missed), and then she shook the water off on to me as soon as I let her out (luckily I had already toweled her down, so she was mostly dry).

Now she keeps licking herself all over, especially her feet. I don't think that's going to make her any drier . At least she smells nice now . She was gettin' stinky.
That's a dog thing. I have no idea why they lick their fur after a bath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I used to read about 10 books per week, but when reading the above, I feel like an illiterate monkey
*digs up a nice fantasy book by David and Leigh Eddings and makes herself comfortable in a chair with a cup of tea and lots of pillows*
Now I really feel like an illiterate monkey since I've never read any of those

I survived my first week at the clinic. And it was quite a week. lol

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #149
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane View Post
I was also considering starting with Kant's Introduction to Logic as the same publisher says it "might as well be called "Intro to Kant's Thought", which I thought would be interesting.
I would advise steering away from anything Kant writes, at least without a VERY thorough grounding in philosophy; his writing is very arcane and obscure, and replete with a highly specialized jargon. He's one of the very few writers whom I would say it is, in fact, better to read about him than to actually read him.

Mari: Don't worry, Dickens isn't serious literature. But speaking of Shakespeare, one of my current projects is forging my way through the Sonnets.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #150
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
Indeed it is - Im was a bit surprised how good it was. It sounded a bit like metal.
Yeah, I heard they call it opera metal.
By the way, the song Nemo that you just posted happens to be my favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Do you(s) listen to more of old Nightwish or new? The first Nightwish I heard very much besides for "Ghost Love Score" was the album Dark Passion Play. My boyfriend really liked Nightwish and when it came out he played it a lot. So I'm not as familiar with Tarja as the new singer.
I listen to both old and new.
Surely you mean you're not as familiar with Anette, who replaced Tarja a couple of years ago? Anette is not an opera singer as Tarja was, so a bit of the opera metal has been watered out. But I think Anette's singing is tremendous nevertheless.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #151
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Yeah, I heard they call it opera metal.
By the way, the song Nemo that you just posted happens to be my favourite

I listen to both old and new.
Surely you mean you're not as familiar with Anette, who replaced Tarja a couple of years ago? Anette is not an opera singer as Tarja was, so a bit of the opera metal has been watered out. But I think Anette's singing is tremendous nevertheless.
HIIIIIYAAAA!!! *brings sword over his head in an attempt to split Jonathan in half*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #152
katya
Elven Maiden

No, I mean I'm more familiar with Anette and not with Tarja. Did my wording make it seem like I thought Tarja was the new singer? Anyway, they're both good in their own way, but very different. Kind of like Gackt vs. Klaha in Malice Mizer.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #153
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
We monkeys are happier. *sits next to Mari while listening to Nightwish, and has ice tea* It's quite summer-hot here in Finland.
So, funny story! My fiance and I were in the car going somewhere and he pulls out his phone and plugs it in to play this song, and I was like, "What is this?" He tells me, "It's called 'Moondance.' It's what you dance to on the moon. This band called Nightwish plays it." I was thinking, Hey, I know who they are! I asked him what he thought of them (because he bought the entire CD) and he tells me he was taking a chance on the CD because he only liked the one song before he bought it. Turns out, he doesn't think the rest of the songs are very good.

He loves this blurb from the very beginning of a live song where the guy goes, "Okay, there's this song called "PHAROAH! SAILS! TO! O-RION!""(I realize that's what the song is called, but that little piece is so hilarious).

Sometimes this world can be kind of small.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 05-23-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #154
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
HIIIIIYAAAA!!! *brings sword over his head in an attempt to split Jonathan in half*
I'm gonna sic Doc's monsters on you

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #155
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
*ducks*

COWABUNGA!! *Slashes sluggishly with sword in effort to decapitate opponent*
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #156
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I would advise steering away from anything Kant writes, at least without a VERY thorough grounding in philosophy; his writing is very arcane and obscure, and replete with a highly specialized jargon. He's one of the very few writers whom I would say it is, in fact, better to read about him than to actually read him.

Mari: Don't worry, Dickens isn't serious literature. But speaking of Shakespeare, one of my current projects is forging my way through the Sonnets.
I think that personally I'm pretty well grounded in philosophy. But perhaps you're right; I'm not all that fond of certain types of writing. Even Russell, who is a really great writer, is difficult to read given the subject matter of analytical-deductive method of philosophy.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #157
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I survived my first week at the clinic. And it was quite a week. lol
Congrats! How was it? Any nice stories to tell?

Gwai, Dickens is on the Lit-class reading list for English teachers actually I suppose it depends on your definition of literature. I think in this case they mean everything English, older than 50 years and British

Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #158
Acalewia

Quote:
Congrats! How was it? Any nice stories to tell?
Had a dog named Jimbo scrach me cause he got excited that his mommy was picking him up, a pug named Rosie growled at me when I put water n her cage, which was really funny. Unforntinatly we had a white german shepard die on us, but I won't go into details on the cause. It's a bit on the gross side and I don't want to make anyone sick. The clinic dog, a poodle named Stormy, has already attached herself to me. he's gained some weight since I started so she's not so boney lol. And a may be getting a kitten soon. Little black and white one thats up for adoption. The mother was a stray that the vet found. Everytime I walk into the kennel she meows at me and rubs aganst the cage. Her kittens are so funny. We got pics of them climbing the bars of the cage. One got half way up before she crash landed on her brother.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #159
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Gwai, Dickens is on the Lit-class reading list for English teachers actually I suppose it depends on your definition of literature. I think in this case they mean everything English, older than 50 years and British
When I was studying "English Language and Literature for Overseas Students" thirty years ago, we did Dickens' Great Expectations, Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles, D. H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers and Women in Love, and E. M. Forster's Where Angels Fear to Tread. (Those were the novels, we also did some of Shakespeare's plays, plus essays and poetry).

So Exeter University regarded all those novels as literature - which doesn't necessarily mean, though, that they regarded everything written by all those authors as great literature

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 05-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #160
Mari
Elf Lady

Acally, sounds like a good week to have started in! I'm sorry about the dog that died, but I'm happy to hear the other animals are getting attached to you and you to them. Should you get the kitty, I want piccies.

Hehe, Varna, I can see the sense in that.

Closed Thread