Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2002, 10:24 PM   #141
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Right... Now that I'm, off topic, what, exactly, is Absoulteism?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:27 PM   #142
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

What? Now I'm entirely confused. The very same arguments I already made can be used to refute the points you just made, Wayfarer. We're going around in circles here, and you keep misreading and misinterpreting what I say. We're obviously on an entirely different page.

I didn't say rape was bad, I said it was unpleasant for the majority of people in the world, which is why we consider it bad.
I'm not assuming that individuals naturally care about the species either. Most of what we believe is taught - that's why we care about this stuff.

As for your second point, I don't see what it has to do with the subject. How does that argument prove absolutism? If you gave up all morality right now - so? That doesn't prove or disprove either absolutism or relativism.

Point #3 - Not given a reason? That whole quote was a reason. And if you let some one else sacrifice themselves for you and don't ever do the same for some one else, again - so? That still doesn't prove or disprove absolutism or relativism!

Point #4 - You've supported your case no better than I have mine, only explained why you're an absolutist with various moral scenarios. The pot's calling the kettle black. Morality is substantially different from gravity. Gravity exists without humans; morality doesn't. Not an apt analogy. The nutrition one's good though. Are you saying that I should give up being vegetarian and strive to eat like everyone else because that's the best way? I assure, I'm healthier than a good many traditional eaters. Different ways do work. Besides (and this is the important part), you overlook the fact that we are born with nutritional requirements, while we are not born with morals. Babies are amoral. They learn moral values from their parents. We don't learn nutritional requirements - they already exist, we just learn what they are. Morals are not a physical part of our make-up.
If a person lived completely alone, they wouldn't need morals because they'd never interact with other people. However, they would still need nutrition. Nutritional needs are biological, unlike morals.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 03-19-2002 at 11:29 PM.
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 11:56 PM   #143
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

But it could be argued, FrodoFriend, that morals are biologically needed. Without morals, we might end up destroying our species! I'm just kidding. I get your point. I'd try to join in, but I can't think of anything intelligent to say at the moment.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:01 AM   #144
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Whew, you scared me there. I was afraid I'd have two people to argue against!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 03-20-2002, 12:05 AM   #145
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh, you might, FF! As soon as I get my brain running again. . .*winds up the key at the back of my neck* okay, now I'm back in business!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 12:32 AM   #146
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Wayfarer,

Quote:
The circumstances surrounding an action, do, determine wheter it was morally right or not. We agree that murder is wrong, and killing in self defense is permissible (though not to be encouraged. That's really not relativism, but two different things. I don't dispute that.
I disagree if circumstances affect it, then it is not absolute.

If you are an absolutist killing is wrong. Period.

Biology DOES play a role in morality. check out the disciplines bio-psychology and socio-biology

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-20-2002 at 12:34 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:42 AM   #147
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Biology DOES play a role in morality. check out the disciplines bio-psychology and socio-biology
Really? That's very interesting, and I will check it out if I get the chance.

My point with that was this: If you don't eat for the a month, your body shuts down and you die. If you don't exercise your morality for a month, your body keeps on working just fine. Morality is not built into your genetic make-up. Biology may influence morality (through chemicals or whatever), but does not create it.

Old 03-20-2002, 12:54 AM   #148
Eruviel Greenleaf

I think I'll go read that book "Peacemaking Among Primates" that I have for school, now. I recall some of the chapters bringing up similiar issues, but I don't remember what it said.

Now I have a question: What was the purpose of my saying that?

FF, in a purely biological way, you are right, but only by your example. And that's just fine if you live on a desert island by yourself, but in a society, morals are sort of necessary, or else nothing would work. NOTHING. I'm not sure what my point is. Maybe I should be the elven lord of perpetual confusion. I hope no mods saw that!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:35 AM   #149
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

would killing Adolf Hitler (or Osam BinLadin) be morally wrong, even if they do not threaten you directly?
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:42 AM   #150
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Really? That's very interesting, and I will check it out if I get the chance.
yeah I THINK its called reciprocity principle
but as it applies to this this

Quote:
FF, in a purely biological way, you are right, but only by your example. And that's just fine if you live on a desert island by yourself, but in a society, morals are sort of necessary, or else nothing would work.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #151
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Now that I read the enitre thread I notice that most of you have a slightly different view on just what's absloute and what's relative. Maybe you should clear that out first. Afterall how can you discuss absolutism and relativism if you can't agree on their definition?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:42 PM   #152
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin McIntyre
would killing Adolf Hitler (or Osam BinLadin) be morally wrong, even if they do not threaten you directly?
Well, if someone had had the foresight to assassinate him in the 1930's, (which would have been easier then) it would have saved millions of lives, and I personally believe that it would have been okay, in that circumstance, even if they were not directly affected. But no one knew what was coming, they didn't have any way of knowing what would have happened otherwise. It is comparable to getting rid of The Ring back when Isildur took it. Again, there was no way of knowing what was going to happen, but it would have saved many people a lot of suffering. (I won't bring the elven rings into this, that would complicate matters.) But back to Hitler, rather than killing outright, if the big powers in Europe at the time had had any foresight, they would not have gone for appeasement, they would have stopped him from breaking the Treaty of Versailles and not have let him begin to take over.

Eek! I have to run, otherwise I would continue!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-20-2002, 04:55 PM   #153
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
What? Now I'm entirely confused.
It's ok, you're female.

Quote:
I didn't say rape was bad, I said it was unpleasant for the majority of people in the world, which is why we consider it bad.
I'm not assuming that individuals naturally care about the species either. Most of what we believe is taught - that's why we care about this stuff.
Ok. As far as I can tell, this is what you think:
Morals are taught by humans to protect themselves.
Therefore, we shouldn't pay any more attention to morality than is strictly nescessary.
Humans are taught to care about other humans because we want to protect ourselves.
But we should still pay attention to what we're taught.

Then, if you manage to prove that morals don't really matter because they're subjective constructions (and you have not), you must accept the fact that compassion and anything but selfish motivation, those things likewise being subjective constructions taught by humanity, will also cease to matter. You cannot remove the reason behind conventional morality without likewise crippling morality as a whole.

I can hold to morality, even when I'd rather not, because I know it's more than me.
You can only stick to a truly relativist morality as long as you continue to feel like it.

Quote:
As for your second point, I don't see what it has to do with the subject. How does that argument prove absolutism? If you gave up all morality right now - so? That doesn't prove or disprove either absolutism or relativism.
It's like this:
You have, with your arguements for relativitism, privided an ample justification for humans to think and do whatever they wish. Certainly, we'll continue to behave morally when we happen to care about others, but that's also a learned behavior, and thus not a very strong motivation.

And then, a few posts later, you admit that not only do you want people to be compassionate, you have a certain morality you think they should follow.

You're undermining morality with one hand, and trying to keep it intact with the other. You will, invariably, fail.

Quote:
Point #3 - Not given a reason? That whole quote was a reason. And if you let some one else sacrifice themselves for you and don't ever do the same for some one else, again - so? That still doesn't prove or disprove absolutism or relativism
Please understand, I do not need to logically disprove relativitsm. Theoretically it's a very good model. So was communism. It's merely my intent to show that it factually does not work.

Sure, I'd be willing to let someone sacrifice themself, with no intention to repay. By that token, I'm really not going to jump at the chance to sacrifice myself for anyone who hasn't done something for me.

Quote:
If you don't eat for the a month, your body shuts down and you die. If you don't exercise your morality for a month, your body keeps on working just fine.
That would only matter if I was trying to link Morality directly to physical health. But there's more to people than that. There's social health, mental health, emotional health, and spiritual health.

If you could pre-empt your morality for a month, you would likely be a socio-psychotic, in perfect physical health. Your social, mental, emotional, and spiritual health would likely all suffer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Afro-Elf
I disagree-if circumstances affect it, then it is not absolute.
If you are an absolutist killing is wrong. Period.
That seems to be a common misconception.

In fact, I can be an absolutist, and believe two different things about two different situations. Just like a can have two different opinions of two differnt books.

I absolutely despise robert jordan, but that doesn't mean I have to hate all books, or even all fantasy, on the contrary, I love most fantasy.

Perhaps this would be a better example. If I go out looking for someone, find them and kill them I can be convicted of murder 1 and face the death penalty. If I accidentally do somehting that results in death, I'm facing involuntary manslaughter and a much lighter sentance. This is just because they're two different crimes.

On the contrary, If you and I were to both commit murder, but I caught the death sentance and you got off with a slap on the wrist because of our races, that would be completely bogus.

Get what I'm saying?

Last edited by Wayfarer : 03-20-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:11 PM   #154
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
It's ok, you're female.
Eärniel hereby delivers a virtual uppercut to Wayfarer and knocks him senseless and there was much rejoicing.

Last edited by Earniel : 03-20-2002 at 05:27 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:33 PM   #155
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You can't knock a wizard senseless! Everybody knows that!

*/staffbaps Earmiel.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:43 PM   #156
Earniel

Excuse me!?! Did you just staffbapped me?! If you want to staffbap me, at least write my name correct, it stand so sloppy.
*Turns to her black feline minion, Jinx! Bite him! Watches happily as Wayfarer flies screaming in fear from the mini-balrog-cat* Since when are you a wizard anyway?
Old 03-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #157
Eruviel Greenleaf

*staffbaps Wayfarer* So what if my staff isn't magic? It still works for bapping, oh Wizard!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-21-2002, 12:04 AM   #158
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

Perhaps this would be a better example. If I go out looking for someone, find them and kill them I can be convicted of murder 1 and face the death penalty. If I accidentally do somehting that results in death, I'm facing involuntary manslaughter and a much lighter sentance. This is just because they're two different crimes.

On the contrary, If you and I were to both commit murder, but I caught the death sentance and you got off with a slap on the wrist because of our races, that would be completely bogus.

Get what I'm saying?
Well that's just the point, isn't it? Who says that the in this first example these are 2 different crimes? (For that matter, there are places in the world where the death penalty is considered immoral, my own country being one. But that's a whole other argument.) Who says that committing murder but by people of different races is the same crime? For that matter, I can think of quite a few places in the world and periods in North American history where killing 2 different victims in the same way is considered 2 different crimes because the victims were different races. The dominant group decided that these were the standards they want for their society. Laws on these kind of things vary from country to country. That is a true thing.
People tend to frame what is considered moral and immoral according to their own social conventions and context. That does not mean that morals do not exist and that they are not real. They are very real, but they do have a tendency to mutate over time. This, to me, suggests that there is an element of relativism. But they are still morals even so.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:07 PM   #159
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
It's ok, you're female.
That wasn't funny. Don't even get superior with me.

Quote:
Therefore, we shouldn't pay any more attention to morality than is strictly nescessary.
Hellooo? Are you not reading my posts at all? We should most definitely pay attention to morals, and morals certainly DO matter! Since you seem even more confused than I was, I will try to explain yet again.

How about an analogy? Love : Morals

Human love evolved from breeding instincts and chemicals in the brain. These things still play a factor in some ways, such as when people are attracted to each other at first sight. However, due to our intellectual capacity, we have augmented love mentally and spiritually. Love is not absolute. No one says you have to love, even though pretty much everyone does. Not everyone loves in the same way. No one kind of love is more factually correct than another.

Same with morals. They evolved from instincts, which still factor today, though unconsciously so. They were/are augmented by our increased intellectual capacity into abstract ideas that play a huge part in our lives. No authority says you have to have morals, though nearly everyone does. No one's morals are exactly the same. One kind of moral belief is not more factually correct than another.

Do I want to get rid of love? No!! Do I want to get rid of morals? No!! I am a very moral person, at least as much as you are. I have very strong beliefs. I am simply arguing that morals are not absolute. That is all; I am not passing judgment on morals.

And it's absolutism that factually doesn't work. If you believe in absolutism, you have to define the absolute and explain where it came from. Relativism is explained by opinions and evolution, both of which we know exist. I am NOT saying that morals don't exist (obviously they do, since we all have them) or that we shouldn't have them, merely that THEY ARE RELATIVE.

Do you understand what I've been saying NOW?

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 03-22-2002 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:29 AM   #160
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Anyway, there's my POV. It's perfectly logical if you try to understand it. Since I'm tired of this debate now (we're basically just repeating ourselves, no new ground covered), that's my last word. Nice debating with you all!

P.S. This is my thousandth post!