Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2002, 02:59 PM   #141
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

*hey, somebody, answer!*

IC: When all had mounted, the company left. They rode along the edge of the forest, careful not to come too near the trees, still feeling the evil hid inside. Suddenly they were started by a small band of orcs coming towards them. Irid just had the time to say to Slythre: "Well, i guess here's part of your mission..."
Then she had to unsheath Wolfbane and start fighting.

*OOC: just getting some speed in the story...*
Old 04-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #142
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Tessar was so deep in his thoughts that when the orcs leapt out at them he just stared for a moment or two, but then he leapt in to action, Mal realized he must have used his magic powers because he shot almost straight up from his saddle, he came down and drew his sword, slicing through the first orc with a blade that seemed almost on fire it was so bright, they shyed away from him and his blade but with his companions fighting too they had no where to run!

Tessar allowed himself a smirk of satisfaction as he saw that the orcs had put themselves in to a trap, the smirk faded as he realized that it was almost to perfect to be... the thought abruptly ended as he saw the reason the orcs were so brave.

ooc* ok that should allow for even more excitement!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #143
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The two cave trolls smashed their way through the underbrush, anything they didn't kill, the orcs coming behined them did.

Tessar wished he had had a bit more rest, it had been a strain on him to be using so much of his magic so often, but he had no choice now.

The blast of frost that stuck the first trolls feet together was surprising, but not nearly as surprising as the huge ball of fire that struck it afterwards.

Tessar grunted in pain as an orc arrow hit him in the shoulder, while the orcs near to him tryed to get away, the ones with bows now seemed to see him as a good target.

Tessar tryed to form a shield of magic around himself as the arrows started to fly again but it was only a very weak one and the strain of it was too much. he draged himself to his saddle and managed to get on, he kicked the horse in the ribs and rode away.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:17 AM   #144
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

Irid saw the magician ride away, and she understood he could not use his powers as he should, because of lack of rest. But it was highly inconvenient, as there was still a cavetroll left. There were not much orcs left now, and Wolfbane slashed through one of the last, the others took care of the last ones. Now the cavetroll took them one by one, and he first got up to her. The two wolves attacked his feet, but he did not pay heed to them. He swung his club, and with a bang it came down on her arm. Pain and anger, and the spirit of the wolves, gave her more strength. She handled Wolfbane with her healthy hand. The people (/elves) still capable of fighting, stood around the troll and attacked him, all together...
Old 04-05-2002, 11:31 AM   #145
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

A backward slash finished off the last of the orcs, and Malagar turned to see the others taking down the Cave Troll. Only a small band, but they had come upon them so suddenly....

Malagar glances at Harnauro, who was also frowning. "Scents and sounds are confused close to the woods," whispered Harnauro, before they rejoined the others to see to the wounded.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:46 AM   #146
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

When the cavetroll was dead, everything flowed out of Irid. The anger... Not the pain, that stayed. Her arm hurt, her body started shiverijng, then she didn't feel anything anymore... She fell uncounscious.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:09 PM   #147
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

"Whence came forth this beast?" Alfwine yelped in dismay as the Troll fell to its knees, and he scattered from it.

He looked around grimly, and thought slowly of the consequences if he had left on his own and became subject to this marauding party.

"There will be more where they came from," an Elf shook her head. "Tessar is missing."
Old 04-05-2002, 12:36 PM   #148
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Tessar rode on, his horse choosing its own path. One of Tessar's hands was clutching around the arrow which was stabbed through his shoulder, the other holding the reins of his steed. He didn't remember where the others are, or even where he was anymore. All there was was the dull throbbing pain from his shoulder, and the steady, unending ride.

"Where are you going, traveller?" asked a voice from slightly behind him, and he realized that he had ridden past the figure of an old man, wearing tattered gray clothing. He managed to turn his head toward the man, squinting at him through the veils of darkness that shrouded his vision.

The man's face was wrinkled with age and browned from a long time spent in the sun. He held a wooden staff in his right hand and it was upon it that his weight was mainly supported.

Tessar tried to answer, but he somehow couldn't get the words out from his lips.

"You've met the orcs too, then," the man said as Tessar's other shoulder was revealed. He looked at the blood soaked sleeve with a small frown. "There might be something I can do about that, but in exchange, I will need some help."

Tessar still was incapable of answering, and somehow the veils of darkness seemed deeper, more dense now than they were before. He couldn't feel any of his body except his shoulder.

His back struck the ground, and he knew no more.

Light filtered through the darkness, and Tessar's eyes opened as he woke from a deep and comfortable sleep. His eyes first fell upon the thatched wood of the roof of a hut, and for a moment he was anxious. Only for a moment though, for he felt no evil in or near this place; only peace. Sunlight filtered in both through the branches of the roof and through the window on the wall. The door also was open.

Tessar sat up, wincing at the throbbing in his shoulder. But it was a dull pain now, not sharp. He glanced down and saw that a bandage was bound about the injury, and there was some potion underneath which apparently was helping to heal the injury. Tessar's shirt had been washed and was drying nearby.

There was a table near the opposite wall, and the old man who had helped him was seated at it, sipping some broth from a bowl. There was another bowl opposite him, Tessar realized.

"I knew you would come around soon," the man said with a smile as he turned toward him. "And thus I prepared a second serving."

Tessar let the blanket fall and stood up, slightly wobbly at first, but he recovered quickly.

"My name is Colmade," the man continued as he motioned Tessar to a seat. "Please eat; it will help you recover. You've only been unconscious for two hours, but my potions are quick in their effect. You lost quite a lot of blood before I reached you.

"What is your name, and your purpose in coming here?" Colmade continued, looking at Tessar curiously from under his bush eyebrows as he set down his bowl.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 01:18 PM   #149
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Tessar sat down with little of his almost catlike grace, preferring instead to concentrate on not falling.

Tessar smiled gratefully and said "My name is Tessar Twelveblade and I am here because I wished to study the forest. however I found the forest less than hospitable and was forced to flee, Not long ago I was attacked by a band of orcs as you may have guessed"

He was not yet willing to admit that he had companions, he trusted the man, but he had also trusted others and come out the worse for it.

Colmade looked him in the eyes before he began to talk.

OOC* My goodness Irid, you do know how to get the posts going again Are my posts still shallow or are they getting atleast a teeny bit better?

Last edited by Tessar : 04-05-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:37 PM   #150
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

OOC: believe me, they have approved much since the first time I saw you post in an RPG i was in too... (ok i know that was complicated)
And sometimes it's up to me to get a conversation going again... Thought i could use something similar to get the posting going again
Right now i'm still unconscious, so i'm not gonna post ic *
Old 04-05-2002, 05:19 PM   #151
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

I taa elda né Aman atná, yallumë!

"Wait, wait, wait! Before you attack me, you have to get into the right stans, not just occasional attacking like orcs!"
Turion was showing BÃ*renath the basic skills of sword fighting, and BÃ*renath was eager to learn more.
"Ok, ok. So I make the L stans with my sword pointing forward, holding it with two hands?" Turion smiled and nodded. "That's right, my friend."
BÃ*renath got into his stans, and Turion as well. "Now remember. Elven power is based on their swift movement, not their strenght!" The elf nodded. "Attack me..." Turion said.
Suddenly BÃ*renath exploaded into an attack. Turion was suprised over how quick he had approached him, but Turion blocked it and made a counter attack, safely positioning his blade against BÃ*renath's neck.
"Very good, BÃ*renath. You are fast." They both smiled as Turion removed his sword. "But we still need to practice on your technic. Get into stans again."

BÃ*renath got into stans and Turion began to teach some attack strategies and ways of swinging the sword effectlivly...
-----------------------------
OOC: Sorry for being gone for so long, but as I stated in the OOC topic, I don't have a lot of time currently...

- Arat-Falathion, son of Arat-Cúrion, son of Arat-BÃ*renath...

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-06-2002 at 03:40 AM.
Arat-Falathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 06:21 PM   #152
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Gandalf The Pentagrid Net

Slythre grimaced as she looked more closely at Irid's hurt. She knew something of healing, though not so much as others, and Tessar's powers in healing could have turned out very useful now, for just such a situation. But instead, he had been shot and now was gone, possibly fracturing their company all the more. Some might want to follow him and see if they could help their friend. She on the other hand saw the importance of following through with their mission. She didn't entirely understand anymore why Erenfor had wanted her to join up with these others. All they had succeeded in doing so far was blunder, even if they were good fighters. She, Mal and Harnauro might have been just wrapping up their mission by now if it weren't for the others.

She kept all of this inside her however, and off of her face as well.

"What rotten luck," she said aloud. "Unconscious twice in one day, and I doubt that there are many stronger beings on this earth that could have hit her either time."

"Or perhaps exceedingly lucky," Mal said with a smile. "A blow from either a tree or a troll can easily kill, yet look! Already Irid is coming around."

Slythre laughed slightly as she applied a damp rag to Irid's forehead as the other woman came around. "We really must discuss what we're going to do though," Slythre told them. "I personally am all for continuing our mission and completing it so that we can get back to the camp. You on the other hand," she said, looking at Kaytrien and Alfwine, "might want to either follow Tessar or take a plunge into the forest. What are your opinions?"

Colmade took one last sip from the broth of his bowl and then set it aside. "What I have to say goes back a long way," he told Tessar. "I have a request of you, to do something that I wish I could. There are orcs in the area, as you know. You are a great elf, strong in power and I can see with years and years of experience behind you." He smiled slightly. "One old being recognizes another."

"What's your request?" Tessar asked, setting down his own bowl as well.

"I grow old, even if you don't, and I can feel it in my bones," the man said, sitting back. "I cannot resist the might of Mordor which is coming down on this wood by myself. I need your help."

"What do you mean?" Tessar asked in amazement. "I sensed something disturbing about the wood, but why would the Dark Lord of Mordor take interest in so remote a place as this?"

"Saruman," Colmade hissed through clenched teeth. "I have recently recieved word that he has betrayed us. He tried to imprison another member of our order, Gandalf the Gray, in Isengard. He has made an orc army, and his orcs are even now battling men in Rohan. He has betrayed our deepest secrets to the lidless eye.

"Long ago, we brought the trees to life. Me and several others all went out on this task, and in return for their life the trees followed our request to repulse outsiders, except those who went along a certain path.

"In the center of the forest is a tunnel leading down through several passages and chambers to the Twilchek, a library of our greatest powers and secrets. Istari for years have been coming to this place of wisdom and using it, and none but they have ever been capable of penetrating the barrier."

Colmade leaned forward again, clasping his hands and looking intently into Tessar's eyes. "Until now."

Tessar felt a coldness grip him. "Saruman?"

"He betrayed the location of our storehouse to Sauron, and now the location of the Twilchek is revealed to the Dark Lord. Saruman did not know the path through the Pentagrid though, that is the one thing that confuses me when I think about it. He never used the storehouse. Regardless of this, somehow Sauron learned the path through the forest."

Colmade stood up and walked over to the window, looking out quietly across the top of the leafy forest. "I have lived near the Pentagrid Forest for many years, and I observed their last attempt to take the books out. I stopped them . . . using enough of my power to crack earth and destroy reality itself. It was after that that I realized this would not do. They would send another horse, and what then? Would I be able to stand up to their onslaught a second time? And even if so, a third?

"I then began to weave something. Something beautiful, yet terrible. Come," Colmade said, motioning Tessar to join him.

Tessar stood and walked to Colmade's side, looking out upon the forest roof.

"What do you see?" Colmade asked quietly.

"The Pentagrid Forest."

Colmade raised a hand and touched Tessar's eyes softly. Something tingled swiftly through Tessar's being, and Colmade removed his hand. "Now what do you see?"

Tessar stared, his mouth dropping open as his gaze swept, awestruck over the forest. "Why . . . why it looks like a net of some sort. Firey golden beams stretched across the whole forest, intersecting and mingling and accumulating around the center!"

"You're right," Colmade said with a smile. "I have let you see what none but I and the trees have ever seen. The Pentagrid Net. I made it, using nearly all my remaining power, so that none can pass unless I wish it. But the Net is thinning. Along the path, Sauron has been attacking it for weeks now with his power. You will see the weakness now, and perhaps will be able to help in its defense.

"He has sent a new force out recently; at least two hundred orcs to penetrate the weakened Net. I spied on them earlier this morning and discovered their number and strength. Sauron believes he has weakened the barrier sufficiently to break through now."

Colmade's face tightened and his fist bumped down on the window sill. "But he must not break through. I reached out with my magic, desperate, and summoned several different people to this forest. I know not precisely who all of them were, but I know that many answered my summons. They don't know precisely why they need to come here, or what they haver to gain from being here. You are the first to arrive, perhaps. I need everyone I can get to hold the Twilchek against the enemy. If he breaks through, he will gain knowledge of the Istari with which all of us will be revealed to him. He will be able to strip us away and break us like twigs, destroying the best hope for the survival of all Middle Earth."

Colmade's face was now showing some measure of desperation, even, as he looked at Tessar. "I need help."

*By the way, in this post, Slythre's opinions about other characters in this RPG aren't necessarily my own .

And by the way, I really think that it actually aught to be two hours instead of a day and a half. Tessar, would you mind editing your post? Thanks.*

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-05-2002 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:29 PM   #153
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Tessar looked the man in the eye and said
"I am just a wizard.
Not an Istari, I do not believe I have the power to help in a thing as great as this, I am but a small twig to the power of a oak.
however, you saved my life, and for that I will try to help.
As you know, I said that I was attacked by orcs, but in reality that "I" is a "we".
I have some friends who I can only hope will help me"

Colmade smiled, but then frowned and cursed as he looked out the window.

Tessar looked and he saw that the net shimmered for a short time and then grew dimmer, not all gone, but much weaker.

Tessar looked around the small hut till he saw his saddle bags, He went to it then and reached in.

He pulled a fist sized blue gem out and said
"I can use this to bring back some of the power of the net. Not much, but it will help, I hope"

He closed his eyes and reached out to feel the net, he couldn't find it at first but when Colmade walked over and touched his hand he felt first a rush of power, stronger almost than the gem, and second he felt the net. he poured the power of the gem in to it, but it was like a drop in a bucket of water. small ripples of power spread out over the net. But not enough, not nearly enough. He did not dare to try to put his own power in to it, now he was only using the gem, but his own power while stronger than the gem's would not do much more than it's had.

OOC* Leif, if you feel that this post is not ok, I.E. too strange, really does nothing for the plot, or just is dumb. tell me and I will get rid of it,
Old 04-06-2002, 03:57 AM   #154
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

OOC: I changed my last post as well now, so the night didn't fell on and it is still day..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IC:

"Great move, BÃ*renath! You nearly got me..."
Turion and BÃ*renath were dueling now, and the elf had started to get the hang of different techiques to attack, counterattack and to defend. They had dueled for half an hour or so without any of them winning.
As BÃ*renath made a sudden attack on the wayfarer, Turion blocked and spinned around in a swift movement leaving him and his blade on BÃ*renaths back. He placed his sword victorious against the elven neck.
"You are definetly getting better." Turion said as he lowered his sword. "What move was that?" BÃ*renath asked. "I didn't see it coming at all." Turion smiled. "That is a technic that needs great skill and practise to achieve. Although you might learn it before our paths splitt."
Turion gathered some wood and made up a small fire, small enough that it didn't reveal any smoke. The light from the fire wasn't that important now when it was day.
"We'll rest now, and then continue on our path. Hopefully we won't need to fight any orcs, though we are getting close to the Pentagrid Forrest and the orcs have been coming in hordes there lately. We will have to be carefull from now on." BÃ*renath agreed, and they sat on the grass before the fire and ate food and drank water...

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-06-2002 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:15 AM   #155
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

Irid grunted as she regained consciousness. "I really should learn to stay awake..." But she didn't feel like laughing. She couldn't have been out long, as noone had yet taken care of her arm. It still hurt. She looked around, the other wounded were being taken care of. She tried to move her arm, but it didn't work. So she layed down again, trying to hold her arm still...
Old 04-06-2002, 03:02 PM   #156
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

"And leave your companion to the lurch of the forest?" Alfwine laughed, "by strange codes of honour do you abide by."

"He can protect himself," Slythre spoke, though her voice wavered slightly. "And we have too long tarried here, in spite of our mission."

"Then be sought by your mission. My steed is swift, and my heart worried," and saying so, Alfwine tugged on the reins and rode into the forest.

--------------------------

The vile creature started in its hiding place in a bush at the mention of the 'Pentagrid'. This Elf knew too much, he reflected, and he stank of the reek of the Rohirrim. He had been in contact with them.

He peeked out of the bush and sighted the Man and Elf resting in the depth of their fatigue in sword-play. He withdrew his bow and fitted an arrow.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:16 PM   #157
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Slythre glared at the Rohirrim's back for a moment as he disappeared, but soon she turned her mind to other matters. It wasn't worth the trouble to bother over one person who didn't understand. He was naive to think as he did. The elves were impeding progress, and their goals and reasons for being here were very different from hers. Code of honor? He would not have bothered to mention her code of honor if he actually knew where she was from. Necessity was what counted, and this place was plainly dangerous. They had to move fast.

"Irid, Kaytrien?" she asked, looking down at the last two who remained with them. "Are you joining us? Where do your paths lead? Now is not a time for indecision; we must be on our way."

"Any little bit helps," Colmade told Tessar. "And right now I simply need help dealing with the immediate threat: these orcs which are preparing to penetrate the Pentagrid. They are simply waiting for nightfall; then they will come out from their hideaways and plunge into the Pentagrid in force.

"By the way," he continued, looking at Tessar curiously, "what are the reasons for coming here of these others whom you claim are your companions?"
Old 04-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #158
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

By the campfire...

"We better get going" Turion said. "We need to get further and find a better hiding before the night falls."
The two travelers stood up and Turion put out the fire. Suddenly BÃ*renath turned around. "What was that?" Turion swiftly turned around in the direction BÃ*renath was looking. "What?" Turion looked up at the elf. "Oh, it probably was nothing. I thought I heard something from the bushes over there." BÃ*renath pointed in the direction from where he had heard the sound. Turion looked in the direction he pointed. His eyes widdened. "GET DOWN!"

Turion pushed BÃ*renath to the ground and jumped after him, they both landed safely behind some trees. In the same moment an arrow whined through the air and hit a tree right behind where they had standed seconds ago. They could hear a dark voice swearing in a language they did not understand.
"Are you ok?" Turion asked. "Yes, I'm fine. You saved my life, Turion." The wayfarer patted BÃ*renath on the shoulder. "Draw your sword. Orcs are coming our way."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: Turion thinks that there are more then just one orc, since they do not "often" travel alone... puh! I just nearly got shot by that orc arrow Selwythe!!

- Arat-Falathion

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-06-2002 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:54 AM   #159
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

The creature cursed as the arrow missed its target. It flung its disguise off and stood still in the bush, outlined in the twilight in his true form, but the appearance was faint. There was still unwitting help these two could provide, and to slaughter them in their defenceless plight would not avail. All turned calm and silent. It watched intently as the man teetered uncertainly, before picking up the arrow.

"Strange. They have left," he quipped as he examined the arrow. Along its shaft in the middle was printed vividly the sign of the White Hand.

*OOC, maybe fight when we get deeper in the forest. Saruman's elite servant against an unknown traveller and novice swordsman?

------------------------------

Alfwine was in panic as he tracked the trail. Deep had he delved into the forest, and the trees had been hostile. Often did a stray root suddenly appear out of nothingness and threaten to upstart his horse, and resonating from the trees were indignant shouts and curses, though he knew not whether it came from the trees or the dark creatures which abided there.

He bent low to his horse and sped along at a blinding pace. Since childhood, he had been warned to stay out of the enchanted forests in the north, yet here he was. He cringed, but determinatin drove him, and his offence at the Elves sped him.

He emerged into a clearing and stopped, for the trail ended here. The clearing was tranquil and a far cry from the woods he had rode through, but he was checked in his progress. He rode around sullenly, but there was no use. The Elf had disappeared by some magical way here, close to the border of the heart of the forest. And what now? He could not possibly brave the chiding of the forest to return to the party and seek their pardon.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:10 AM   #160
Irid al'Menie
Elven Warrior

Irid opened her eyes, and thought of what Slythre had asked. Then she answered. "I feel that the direction Tessar went, is the direction I should go. It is the same feeling that got me here, that tells me to go search Tessar. Maybe then I will know what made me come here (besides Fangorn of course). But if we go with more then one, the trees will attack again..."

Without using her wounded arm, Irid stood up and mounted her horse. She left for the forest, without waiting for the answer of Kaytrien.