Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #1521
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Unless you coun't Harry Potter as fantasy, every fantasy book I've read so far has been written by Tolkien (and his son, more or less). Haven't really wanted to, didn't want to risk spoiling my view of the fantasy genre. But after being recommended by my friends to read George R. R. Martin, I've started to read A Game of Thrones. Don't really know yet what to think of it. I like the way Martin writes, but he fails to make me interested in the world he has created. Oh well, my friends warned me that it might take a while to get into the book (gosh, all the names, how am I supposed to keep track of everyone! ) so I'll just wait and see.

Heh, I like Jon the bastard
oooh another Game reader, you like Jon the most eh?, rush over to the fantasy forum and give the Game thread a kick up the bum
give the Da Vinci code a read Lin, some people hate it, it was an enjoyable read if you arent looking for fact, in any case its a pretty easy read you might just like it. (sounds like you talking about Bravheart all over again, BoP )
Old 08-18-2004, 12:48 PM   #1522
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Mm, I might do that when I get a bit further into the book .

Lin, give the Da Vinci code a try. It was an ok book imo, and I loved the anagrams and codes and things that the writer had included in it. I talked to a girl today who loved the book and we both tried to convince this Christian guy to read it, just for the fun of it (the writer is pretty mean to the Catholic church ). The guy is pretty biased towards the book after what he had read about it at Christian message boards but he said he'd give it a read.
So um, since I talked him into reading it, I think you should read it too.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #1523
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Thanks BoP, I might give it a miss then. How do you find Emma? It's pretty good so far (A few chapters in) and you can already see those 'flaws' of Emma's. I don't like it as much as Pride and Prejudice, but maybe that's because I usually hate beginnings of books unless they're fantastic.
I enjoyed Emma (not that you asked me, but I thought I'd chime in ) but liked P&P better, like you. Emma is interesting, however, because it was Jane Austen's personal favorite among her own books, IIRC. And it gets better further in.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #1524
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm about 50 pages from the end (I'm sick- nothing else to do...) and I'm enjoying it immensely. Sometimes I do want to reach through the page and throttle her with her own vanity 'though.... But I like Mr. Knightly better than Mr. Darcy.

Man, what do all you people find so great about Da Vinci Code??? *BoP doesn't get it* It's just a piece of fluff...

If you want a decent read, then read anything by Umberto Eco - especially In the Name of the Rose. It does the church conspiracy MUCH better, IMO, and it's beautifully written.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #1525
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Okay, I might not bother with buying the Da Vinci code on the weekend like I planned and read it some vague time in the future.... The lack of fact in it will probably annoy me. Thanks guys.

Ta, Rian. BoP- someone better than Darcy?! Is it possible?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #1526
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Man, what do all you people find so great about Da Vinci Code??? *BoP doesn't get it* It's just a piece of fluff...
As I said, I liked the anagrams and codes in it . I've always been fond of cryptology. I admit the book wasn't half as exciting as the critics had promised... in fact it wasn't exciting at all, but it was an ok book. Lin, read it and don't listen to BoP. Form your own opinion of the book

Quote:
If you want a decent read, then read anything by Umberto Eco - especially In the Name of the Rose. It does the church conspiracy MUCH better, IMO, and it's beautifully written.
I liked the film a lot, and a couple of days ago my dad told me I should definitely read the book. Might do that once I've finished A Game of Thrones. That is, unless the library or the book shop get a few copies of the first book in the Dune series soon. I just can't seem to get my hands on it, but if I do, In the Name of the Rose will have to wait
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-18-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #1527
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
As I said, I liked the anagrams and codes in it . I've always been fond of cryptology. I admit the book wasn't half as exciting as the critics had promised... in fact it wasn't exciting at all, but it was an ok book.
In that case: read The Code Book; non-fiction, but very interesting with regards to cryptography and such, AND you don't have to read a sub-par "blockbuster"!

The Code Book.

Quote:
I liked the film a lot...
The book is better. (of course) It has, IMO, some of the most beautiful pieces of modern writing I've ever read. And for language buffs, there's whole chunks of latin to translate. And that weird gratiutious sex scene that was in the movie? Makes much more sense in the book... and again, beautifully written. Great for history buffs as well. LOTS of history.

Quote:
That is, unless the library or the book shop get a few copies of the first book in the Dune series soon. I just can't seem to get my hands on it, but if I do, In the Name of the Rose will have to wait
Well, it's good to see that you have your priorities straight.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #1528
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Reading a bit of Jane Austen's Emma now as well as a bit of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest.
I acquainted myself with that play earlier this year. It is a fun play. I love the line "You have filled my tea with lumps of sugar, and though I asked most distinctly for bread and butter, you have given me cake. I am known for the gentleness of my disposition, and the extraordinary sweetness of my nature, but I warn you, Miss Cardew, you may go too far." I mean, tea with sugar and cake instead of bread? Oh my, the nerve!
Quote:
In that case: read The Code Book; non-fiction, but very interesting with regards to cryptography and such, AND you don't have to read a sub-par "blockbuster"!
Yay, they have it at the library. Might check it out.
Btw, has anyone read Enigma by Robert Harris? If so, is it worth reading?
Quote:
And that weird gratiutious sex scene that was in the movie? Makes much more sense in the book...
Why does it have to make sense?

Yep, as soon as I'm done with A Game of Thrones (and possibly its sequels), Dune will be top priority

Code books, Enigmas, Names of Roses, Games of Thrones and a desert planet called Dune... So many books, so little time
Old 08-18-2004, 10:27 PM   #1529
Mercutio

Lieutant Hornblower by C.S. Forester--the movies got me hooked on Horatio! (thanks Val )

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #1530
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Also in that case, try out "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. It's huge, but awesome.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 AM   #1531
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Lin, read it and don't listen to BoP.
Watch out mister, that could cost you your pants.

As for endangering my own pair of pants , I thought the Da Vinci code was an entertaining book, nothing sensational but interesting enough to read. Perhaps better to loan in the library than buy it yourself.

Quote:
So many books, so little time
I second that.... My bedside table is literally creaking under the combined weight of LoTR, Celtic Fairytales by Joseph Jacob and Arthur by Hubert Lamp and Pieter Koster.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #1532
Hawklan
Enting

Im feeling a bit highbrow this evening....I am going to read " Edvard Munch " by J.P.Hodin - if its rubbish at least I can look at the pictures !
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #1533
Mercutio

Horatio Hornblower and the Atropos (by C.S. Forester), no wait--i'm on ...and the Hotspur right now.

and the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #1534
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
A great book, that! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:30 PM   #1535
BeardofPants
the Shrike

A translation of Beowulf.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:07 AM   #1536
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Got started on a book called Castaways of the Flying Duthcman by Brian Jacques; figured I needed some light reading for a while
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #1537
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the dune saga continues... just picked up chapterhouse
Old 08-27-2004, 06:07 PM   #1538
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Never could find any dune sequels at any store (yet). I think I did find a book called "Dune for Dummies" .
EDIT: My bad. It was "Middle-Earth for Dummies" .
Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #1539
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Just re-read the "Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay. I highly reccomend it...

Am now re-reading the Full Shannara series, by Terry Brooks. Also great.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #1540
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Just finished the Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Still thinking that one over. Really didn't see that ending coming at me.
Closed Thread