Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #1501
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm reading Elaine Showalter's "A Literature of their Own" about women novelists in the 19th and early 20th century. Very interesting.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #1502
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Mee-hee.
I never forget. Never.
Like that elephant in Mowgli?

Currently waiting to get my hands on the third part of Feist's and Wurst's Empire-triology, as well as the second part of To Green Angel Tower by Tad Williams...just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, both nice reads. (Especially Ender's Game.)
Old 08-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #1503
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
im re-reading HP4. was gonna start at the beggining again but cudnt find one and tbh i dont no why i didnt then start with 3 but oh wel thats my strange mind for ya!

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Old 08-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #1504
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I reread all of the HP books about a month ago. It was great going through them again. I'm always amazed by what I've forgotten but that may just be a byproduct of gettin' old.

Right now I'm readin The Life of Pi. Just started it this morning.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #1505
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I've just finished Appelsinpiken (The Orange Girl) by Jostein Gaarder. It is an easy-to-read book about a 15-year old boy who receives a letter from his father who has been dead for 11 years. It is a beautiful love story, and a sad story, but not without humour. Hereby recommended.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-15-2004 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 AM   #1506
Hawklan
Enting

This week I will be mainly reading...

the susan cooper series " The dark is rising " beginning with "Over sea,under stone ", marvellous series that takes me back a decade or two.
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Old 08-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #1507
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Just started "The Scar" by China Mieville, a sequel of sorts to "Perdido Street Station" (which is a fantastic book, BTW).

Just finished "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Amazing book, 100% absorbing.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 08-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #1508
Mercutio

Finished "I Will Follow" by Bethany Patchin and somebody else (?).

Working on "Thrones, Dominations" by Dorothy Sayers and .... ah yes, Somebody Paton Walsh. (Joan?) I'm blanking out right now. And I think I read another Sayers/Walsh entitled "A Presumption of Death" but for the life of me I can't remember what it was about (except a murder, obviously), lol.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #1509
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Whoah, that confused me - I thought you were talking about Jane Austen, lol. I've finished the first two books (nine princes, and guns of avalon), and I must say, it's frickin' brilliant! I like that it's different (though I knew that dara was gonna bite corwin in the ass); definitely an enjoyable read. Is the second series worth reading? (not that I can find it in borders )
Yes, the second series is good, also. The books are quite addictive.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #1510
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm still working on Journey to the West. (It's loooong...) I'm also reading Mein Kampf (which I just started). I'm not a nazi or anything, I just think it's interesting. I was just thinking, there are a lot of books I want to buy, books that I feel I should own a copy of. There's the Koran, and other holy books, (I already own a million bibles), what else was there? Classics, I guess, and historically significant writings. I can't afford all that though. I'm saving for a car.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #1511
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Artanis - did you (or anyone else) have trouble getting into Don Quixote? I know you enjoyed it, but I've tried getting into it twice now and am just not being drawn in ... is it worth sticking with it?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #1512
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Artanis - did you (or anyone else) have trouble getting into Don Quixote? I know you enjoyed it, but I've tried getting into it twice now and am just not being drawn in ... is it worth sticking with it?
I'd say it is

But of course it depends on the kind of literature you usually read.

How far have you reached?

EDIT: I'll give you an advice: take the role of Sancho, and perhaps you'll begin to see things otherwise.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #1513
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Well - I thought it was a great book. It is hard to grasp the deeper meanings of it though - I think I have just scraped on the surface of that book - I will have to read it again sometime. But even if you skip the deeper layers, the book was so full of humour and absurdities, Don Quixote's 'madness', Sancho Panza's sayings and his naive stupidity, and all the crazy, silly, funny and sometimes heartbreaking situations they wind themselves into. You don't know whether you should laugh or cry. But to answer your question, I think that if you don't enjoy the first chapters, it will be hard to finish the book. Part 2 is different from part 1 though, it may very well be that you will like the last part better than the first.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-16-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:43 PM   #1514
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Have finished the first five amber books by zelazny; can't seem to track down the second lot, so I might have to order them in. I've now started on Emma, by Jane Austen, and I also have Persuasion as well. (And some other remaindered penguin classics - beowulf, and pygmalion). Which is good, because I've got this awful bloody cold, some I'm doing lots of reading, and feeling sorry for myself.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #1515
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry you feel bad, BoP, but am glad you didn't get run over last night!

Thanks for the comments, FM and Arty - I'm on chpt. 16 now. I wasn't really looking for deep meaning, Arty - it just wasn't grabbing me on any level. When I picked up Bros. Karamazov, it grabbed me right off. So did Dune, at first. I think I'll keep at it, tho.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:55 AM   #1516
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Reading a bit of Jane Austen's Emma now as well as a bit of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. Trying to get a copy of The Da Vinci Code but it seems to be really popular and always on loan at the libraries.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #1517
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Unless you coun't Harry Potter as fantasy, every fantasy book I've read so far has been written by Tolkien (and his son, more or less). Haven't really wanted to, didn't want to risk spoiling my view of the fantasy genre. But after being recommended by my friends to read George R. R. Martin, I've started to read A Game of Thrones. Don't really know yet what to think of it. I like the way Martin writes, but he fails to make me interested in the world he has created. Oh well, my friends warned me that it might take a while to get into the book (gosh, all the names, how am I supposed to keep track of everyone! ) so I'll just wait and see.

Heh, I like Jon the bastard
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-18-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #1518
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I'd also recommend Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time (it shouldn't spoil your view on fantasy too much )

Last edited by Beren3000 : 08-17-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #1519
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Jon, the thing that grabs you about GRR Martin's work is his characters. He's more of a character-driven novelist than a world-driven novelist. But you'll enjoy them; they're a fantastic read.

Lin, the Davinci Code was, IMO, terribly written. You can see the "twist" coming from a mile off, and the romance was so bad, I actually laughed. I'd give it a miss if I were you. Plus, it's really annoying how he tries to pass off "fluff" as fact.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #1520
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Thanks BoP, I might give it a miss then. How do you find Emma? It's pretty good so far (A few chapters in) and you can already see those 'flaws' of Emma's. I don't like it as much as Pride and Prejudice, but maybe that's because I usually hate beginnings of books unless they're fantastic.
Closed Thread