Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #1381
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
Rian--I recently started The Brothers Karamazov; I'm taking novel next year in school and the teacher recommended it we read it at least once prior to the class. Who was translator on your copy?
Andrew R. MacAndrew, 1970. Published by Bantam Classics.

Interesting translation; not a - don't quite know how to word it - "smooth" English translation, but I liked it. I got the sense that he was more trying to bring out the nuances and connotations than to just make it "smooth" English, which I appreciated.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #1382
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yes it is. I've never read Austen before, so I'm excited.
You're in for some great books! I can't believe her books are 200 years old - the characters are so vivid it's like it was written yesterday!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-16-2004, 09:55 PM   #1383
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Andrew R. MacAndrew, 1970. Published by Bantam Classics.

Interesting translation; not a - don't quite know how to word it - "smooth" English translation, but I liked it. I got the sense that he was more trying to bring out the nuances and connotations than to just make it "smooth" English, which I appreciated.
I have Richard Pevear's and Larissa Volokhonsky's translation. So far its quite good; the only annoying thing is the footnotes aren't footnotes-- they are endnotes, piled up at the back of the book. It makes it harder to quickly glance at, for example, what the French phrase means. Grr. But I love the book!

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #1384
Rían

Halfway thru Dune ...

Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #1385
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i am reading indiana jones and the unicorns legacy
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 06-18-2004, 12:29 AM   #1386
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Halfway thru Dune ...
*huggles Rian's legs* !!!! How are you finding it...?

And more importantly, is there anyone I haven't bugged to read Dune?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:03 AM   #1387
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:

And more importantly, is there anyone I haven't bugged to read Dune?
Me. But don't bother bugging me now, I'm engrossed with Northern Lights (His Dark Materials trilogy), I've already read The Subtle Knife & the Amber Spyglass but not this. It's the best.
After that it's Memoirs of a Geisha I think.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #1388
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
At the moment I'm diving back into Churchill's A.H.O.E.S.P.-II: The New World (have left it alone for a while, and will now finish it). Same thing with PD James' A Mind To Murder. Will also begin to read Vonda N McIntyre's The Crystal Star (since I've begun again to read my SW-books).
Old 06-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #1389
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Me. But don't bother bugging me now, I'm engrossed with Northern Lights (His Dark Materials trilogy), I've already read The Subtle Knife & the Amber Spyglass but not this. It's the best.
After that it's Memoirs of a Geisha I think.
Your loss. ::shrug:: Err... any particular reason why you read the series out of order? And yes, Northern Lights IS the best of the three... I find that they tend to degenerate in quality as the series progresses. Didn't much like the ending of Amber Spyglass (Lyra and Will's 'love').

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-18-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #1390
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

finally finished children of dune... what a great book!

i have a lot of thoughts on it but too little time

picking up the next one this weekend
Old 06-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #1391
Rían

I finished Dune and resurrected a thread on it over in the sci-fi/fantasy book forum ...

Old 06-19-2004, 02:57 PM   #1392
Rían

Quote:
*huggles Rian's legs* !!!! How are you finding it...?
Hey, stay away from my pantses!

I tried, BoP, I tried ... (see Dune thread)

Just picked up Milton's Paradise Lost, etc. - I love the line:

Quote:
Thrice he assayed, and thrice, in spite of scorn,
Tears, such as Angels weep, burst forth. At last
Words interwove with sighs found out their way:

Old 06-19-2004, 04:43 PM   #1393
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Somewhat inspired by Bloomsday, I picked up James Joyce's Ulysses. Second try, first one was more than 10 years ago. I may be able to finish it this time.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #1394
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Just picked up Milton's Paradise Lost
I love that book, too. My favourite part is (beware of spoiler if you haven't read it before):
when Satan looks at the Garden of Eden and envies man, wishing he could repent and enter again into God's favour but then despairs and resigns to his fate of eternal torture.

I also love the parts where:
Adam and Eve discuss their life with each other. I think this parts show great insight into Milton's thoughts of the relationship between men and women in general

Enjoy reading it, RÃ*an.

I'm currently reading a novel called Spartan by an italian novelist called Valerio Massimo Manfredi. Anyone heard of that novel?
Old 06-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #1395
Rían

thanks, Beren I read your spoiler- looks interesting!

Old 06-20-2004, 01:05 AM   #1396
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Somewhat inspired by Bloomsday, I picked up James Joyce's Ulysses. Second try, first one was more than 10 years ago. I may be able to finish it this time.
That's funny. I picked it up and contempated buying it at the used book store just the other day. I was hoping to finish it too.

Just finished the Dune series. Tried Kavalier and Klay but it didn't take.

Has anyone read it? I didn't get past the setting of the opening chapters. Should I press on?

Note: Ten years to finish Ulysses.... Homer would like that. Never finished that Ulysses either.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #1397
Mercutio

1/3 of the way through Brothers K. But...Its 782 pages long, so that still means about 500 pages left!

Old 06-21-2004, 12:55 PM   #1398
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

nein... Ich bin *Herr* Kartoffelkopf.

Just started Cloudsplitter...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-25-2004, 04:14 PM   #1399
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
I just read Big Fish by daniel wallace
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 06-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #1400
Mercutio

Seabiscuit (on cd in the car)

And still Brothers K.

Closed Thread