Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #121
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Well... at least THIS way, everyone else can get a little more exposure to "the story behind the story"! Starting to realize how hard it is to come up with trivia questions from the books that are not just way too easy! Most people - even if they've read the appendices, don't exactly remember all the details. So this thread can be nice for learning more of those details - even if you have to look up the answers (and looking them up isn't as easy because they're not indexed! )

So, next question... and just in case it IS only you and me:

Elendil was descended from the Lords of Andunie... how was this family connected to the royal family of Numenor?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #122
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

He's a descendant of Valandil (), the first Andunie Lord in the west, that is the grandchild of Tar-Elendil.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:19 PM   #123
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Well... at least THIS way, everyone else can get a little more exposure to "the story behind the story"! Starting to realize how hard it is to come up with trivia questions from the books that are not just way too easy! Most people - even if they've read the appendices, don't exactly remember all the details. So this thread can be nice for learning more of those details - even if you have to look up the answers (and looking them up isn't as easy because they're not indexed! )

So, next question... and just in case it IS only you and me:

Elendil was descended from the Lords of Andunie... how was this family connected to the royal family of Numenor?

I know this, but I will leave it for a little bit to see if someone else can answer (by the way, even though it is true that Elendil is descended from the Lords of Andunie, that term is often referred to the descendants of Elendil )
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #124
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Silmarien daughter, and eldest child, of Tar-Elendil could not succeed the throne of Numenor... she was the mother of Valandil, the first Lord of Andunie
Old 11-17-2003, 04:22 PM   #125
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I was first!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #126
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Radagast - I think I'll give you that! I was looking for Silmarrien (SP?) who was the mother of that Valandil and the daughter of the king - but that's just about implicit in your reply. Besides, to fish for it from here would make it too apparent.

Your go...

[EDIT: wow - 2 more posts came in while I was putting that one up... brownjenkins WAS more complete, but I guess I had given it to you. Will one of you graciously step aside, or do you want to fight it out?... I guess we COULD have a one-question, quiz-off!!! ]

Last edited by Valandil : 11-17-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:29 PM   #127
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

np... radagast's was up a second before mine... it's his
Old 11-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #128
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Thanks. I skipped Silmarien, I didn;'t think she's important.

Which two dwarf lords was killed by a dragon, before the destruction of Erebor?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #129
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Thanks. I skipped Silmarien, I didn;'t think she's important.

Which two dwarf lords was killed by a dragon, before the destruction of Erebor?
Was it Dain I and his son Fror?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 AM   #130
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yes.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #131
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Which King of Rohan is it said that he was at strife with his marshals and with his children? He was also greedy of gold and food...

--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 01:30 PM   #132
Keith K
Elf Lord

I had to look that one up and discovered that Fengel is the answer.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:37 PM   #133
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

yup

--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #134
Keith K
Elf Lord

Where was Phurunargian located?
(okay, I'm really going into obscurity here but what the heck!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #135
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith K
Where was Phurunargian located?
(okay, I'm really going into obscurity here but what the heck!
Isn't that another name for Moria?

--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 PM   #136
Keith K
Elf Lord

yes, and the answer is the Misty Mountains to be technical...
Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 PM   #137
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith K
yes, and the answer is the Misty Mountains to be technical...
Actually to be technical, the other names of Phurunargian are:

The Black Chasm, The Black Pit, Dwarrowdelf, Hadhodrond, Moria, Khazad-dûm.

It lies in the central portion of the Misty Mountains, it isn't all of the Misty Mountains...

--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #138
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What King of Gondor was also known by the name Vinitharya?

--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #139
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Eldacar, I believe

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:33 PM   #140
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yup

--Linaewen
Closed Thread