Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #121
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Hooray for LotR: it should be considered one movie and will go down in history as such, so the Oscars go to the whole shebang.

Well deserved, in my opinion. Fantasy rules!

So PJ didn't mention Tolkien -- perhaps he felt that since several other people had, and since the professor's gone on to higher pursuits, it wasn't necessary. Also he looked tired. Give the guy a break.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #122
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by dawningoftime
Actually Elijah Wood wanted the role so bad that he dressed up as a hobbit and sent in an audition tape too Jackson. Besides I don't think that unless anyone on these boards know Peter Jackson personally, then we are in no position to judge whether or not he is a true fan of the book.
I can based on his OWN statements as well as others concerning him.

Quote:

It has been clear from the beginning that each of us have our own opnion of how the movie should have looked and what should have been included. I personally think he did an excellent translating the books into a movie. They aren't perfect, but they are by far the best anybody has done thus far. And yes I have read the books.
Completely changing the books was not anythign anyone has suggested though - unlike what Jackson did.

Done thus far? There have only been two attempts. Bakshi and Jackson. Bakshi's could have been very good if he had the money.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-01-2004 at 01:52 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 AM   #123
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

Now that PJ has won his oscar could he do us the courtesy of never being part of another Tolkien adaptation. Please go work on that film, King Kong, that nobody cares about and leave Tolkien material in the hands of someone who actually understands the material.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:53 AM   #124
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterMothra
Now that PJ has won his oscar could he do us the courtesy of never being part of another Tolkien adaptation. Please go work on that film, King Kong, that nobody cares about and leave Tolkien material in the hands of someone who actually understands the material.
I agree, but he now wants to get his grubby hands on the hobbit. Going so far to even possibly include ARWEN in it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #125
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
So PJ didn't mention Tolkien -- perhaps he felt that since several other people had, and since the professor's gone on to higher pursuits, it wasn't necessary. Also he looked tired. Give the guy a break.
Why do I have to give him a break? The only reason for his supposed love of the books before was to sell the movie. After he had that done - he didn't care about Tolkien - as is demonstrated in his speech.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #126
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

honestly u people have to give this man credit. he put 5 or 6 years of his life into this movie. he cannot satisfy each and every persons idea of what the movie should look like, he has to make it appeal to all audiences not just the people who read the book. i bet that if people here directed the lord of the rings movies (with actual experience) in their own vision you wouldnt imagine the **** you would be getting right now. so at least give him the respect that he put effort into this movies
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:01 AM   #127
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

Thats terrible news.
On the bright side, maybe he can fit Sauruman's death and the Scouring of the Shire somewhere in his King Kong movie.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #128
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
honestly u people have to give this man credit. he put 5 or 6 years of his life into this movie. he cannot satisfy each and every persons idea of what the movie should look like, he has to make it appeal to all audiences not just the people who read the book. i bet that if people here directed the lord of the rings movies (with actual experience) in their own vision you wouldnt imagine the **** you would be getting right now. so at least give him the respect that he put effort into this movies
I give him respect for making a good movie, terrible adaptation. Now, if he will just go away quietly into the sunset and leave Tolkien's material alone I would be happy.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:08 AM   #129
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
I give him respect for making a good movie, terrible adaptation. Now, if he will just go away quietly into the sunset and leave Tolkien's material alone I would be happy.
well that is all i ask it is a bit bad that he didnt thank tolkiien but hey sometimes we all forget the most important things

waiting for jerseydevil to respond
I AM CANADIAN

Old 03-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #130
jerseydevil

Quote:
Agreed. If he didn't give the propaganda speeches and lies before the movies came out as to what we could expect from the movies - I would be giving him a break. People have chosen to forget all the stuff he said BEFORE the movies came out and how his story changed. Now he gives an acceptance speech and doesn't even mention Tolkien. As I said - so much for him being a fan.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #131
jerseydevil

Quote:
well that is all i ask it is a bit bad that he didnt thank tolkiien but hey sometimes we all forget the most important things

waiting for jerseydevil to respond
Here's your response. He didn't thank Tolkien because there was only ONE reasopn why he made the films - that was for the money - most of which went to build up Weta, which he owns.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM   #132
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Yah -- I agree with gimli7410.

When your own movies come out, be sure to give me a call.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:13 AM   #133
jerseydevil

Quote:

Why is it the only way you can dislike the movies is when you have a movie version of LotR coming out - but anyone can like the movies?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 02:15 AM   #134
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Here's your response. He didn't thank Tolkien because there was only ONE reasopn why he made the films - that was for the money - most of which went to build up Weta, which he owns.
i agree it was a bit ungrateful of not thanking tolkien but still you can have all the evidence saying he was in it for the money but he could of made these movies out of love of tolkien works.you have not directly talked to him or people assosciated with him and neither have i so i cant say anything either. im not gonna say i disagree with you or agree. each to his own opinion.

edit:i know the wording in that post was a bit screwed up and i didnt really know how to word it but im tired so forgive me.
I AM CANADIAN

Old 03-01-2004, 02:16 AM   #135
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

Quote:

LOL.
Well, whenever you get you head surgically removed from Peter Jackson's arse, be sure to call someone else.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:25 AM   #136
jerseydevil

Quote:
i agree it was a bit ungrateful of not thanking tolkien but still you can have all the evidence saying he was in it for the money but he could of made these movies out of love of tolkien works.you have not directly talked to him or people assosciated with him and neither have i so i cant say anything either. im not gonna say i disagree with you or agree. each to his own opinion.
Why? So he can tell me the same lies he tells everyone? His actions speak louder than words - and him ignoring Tolkien speaks the loudest of anything.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #137
azalea
Long lost mooter

MasterMothra, that was an inappropriate remark. Please refrain from making remarks like that in the future, as it only leads to flame wars.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #138
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
honestly u people have to give this man credit. he put 5 or 6 years of his life into this movie.
It's comments like this I really fail to understand. Why should we give him credit for being lucky enough to spend X number of years being paid an enormous amount of money to do exactly what he wants, and go down in history for it too?

I am sure pretty much every director out there was envious.
He certainly wasn't doing anything exceptionally difficult - ask any director and they'll tell you the long hours and the emotional wrangling that goes on in a film production is par for the course.

In other words, PJ is one of the luckiest people alive, not someone to be respected automatically for what he was doing.

Anyway, 11 oscars, well done - I just wish the oscars had been won by the films and the people who actually made LotR a success. My idea of deserving awards would be:

Picture (FotR)
Cinematography (FotR)
Visual effects (all 3)
Score (all 3)
Song (RotK - god I love Annie Lennox!)
Costumes (all 3)
Make up (all 3)
Art Direction (all 3)
Best Original screenplay (all 3)
Supporting actors (Ian Mkcellan FotR, Viggo all 3, Christopher Lee (should have been all 3 but PJ made it 2 :/, Bernard Hill, Sean Bean, Sean Astin, erm Faramir (Rotk))

plus a few honarary ones for the cast as a whole, since obviously it's far too large to actually gfive out individuals as above.

I don't think Gollum was particularly acted well, just competantly.
I'd like to have given Eomer more recognition, but since he was pretty much invisible in the films...

Poooooooossibly PJ best director for either FotR or TTT.

Dunno about some of the techy ones like best editing, not really in a position to comment since I don't know the actual stuff behind it.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #139
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Just read this at the end of Harry Knowles review on the Oscars:
Quote:
11 tied with the most in history with BEN HUR and TITANIC!!! [...] - See officially - it's one of the greatest films of all time, no matter how stubborn you may be.
Okay. I agree and I'm very happy for it.

But the greatness of the movie come from what remained of Tolkien work in it. Not for the work of Phillipa, Fran and... PJ.

Anyway, I'm happy it won so many.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #140
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
11 tied with the most in history with BEN HUR and TITANIC!!! [...] - See officially - it's one of the greatest films of all time, no matter how stubborn you may be.
That of course depends on how you rate the oscars, on whether it's to do with actual film quality or not.

I don't think there's anyone here who could honestly say they believe the oscars are won on pure merit

Especially when you consider it's now 'officially' joint top with Titannic, one of the most over-hyped (great film, but not THAT great) films ever released. Oh but wait, on those grounds it DOES deserve to be level with Titanic!

Don't get me wrong, I thing LotR overall does deserve lots of awards and rightly so. It just wouldn't annoy me so much if I'd felt they'd gone where they were actually deserved.

I'm still smarting from Christopher Lee's cutting out of RotK personally...