Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #121
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Neither Red Hot Chili Peppers or MM should be in this topic, they both are no where near best guitarist.

band review

http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:53 AM   #122
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
now that youve brought it up again, and MM's Golden Age of Grotesque has been released how bout we compare it with Chilli Peppers last album... hahehHAHAHAHA i WIN!!!!
Right.......

At least John Frusciente(sp) actually is a guitarist. The Chilis have interesting musical arrangements, a song like Californication modulates several times for example.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #123
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Neither Red Hot Chili Peppers or MM should be in this topic, they both are no where near best guitarist.

band review

http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/

If I had to pick, I'd let the Peppers stay.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #124
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I like the Chili Peppers too.

My thoughts on MM are the same to this review:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Album: Antichirst Superstar

Reviewing this from a musical standpoint is pointless; there is no music. Lots of eye candy, though. Like many a popular groups of the 90s, Marilyn Manson has casually shrugged off quality songcraft and intelligent lyrics for artificial, corporate driven intent and juvenile gimmicks. Not surprisingly, it has spawned hordes of misled, misinformed and maladjusted little dillweed goths (both onstage and off) squeezing every bit of respectability out of a genre that was once an underground mainstay, reduced to nothing more than a commercial joke now. So, hindered by their inability to excrete anything even within grasp of originality, we're stuck with this silly, drivellous mess. In true spooky goth fashion (ooohhh scary) the prerequisites: repetitive riffs, irritating filtered vocals, and typically sub-dued, quasi-industrial "beats", all amounting to what appears to be some wimpy attempt at a heavy industrial-goth hybrid. And the lyrics. Lots of "f***s" and "sh*ts" and religious inversion, something Altar and Suffocation have been espousing effectively for years (but without the stupid theatrical additives). Contrary to what the mainstream press will have you believe, Antichrist Superstar is about as musically and conceptually substantive as the Spice Girls, except not nearly as entertaining. The sum-total: transparent pleadings from an "artist" who longs to be as commercial and lame as his many inept Interscope labelmates. Trent Reznor, he ain't. But why harp on it? Just know this takes a cozy seat next to BUSH at the bottom rung of the creative ladder.

Review by Lee Steadham

Review date: 12/1998
Old 06-21-2003, 09:53 PM   #125
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I will also agree with that. Mainstream music, or at least mainstream "metal" (and I use that term lightly), nowadays barely has any meaning. Both musically and lyrically its becoming more and more incoherent and retarded.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #126
Millane
The Dude

ohhhh my god this is the biggest crock of **** i have ever heard .
Quote:
At least John Frusciente(sp) actually is a guitarist.
yeah whats your point so is John 5
Quote:
Marilyn Manson has casually shrugged off quality songcraft and intelligent lyrics
all i can do is laugh at the poor fool who probably cant understand MM's messages and the point he tries to get across. To say that MM doesnt use intelligent lyrics is to scream "I AM IGNORANT I DONT DESERVE TO HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT MUSIC"
Quote:
Lots of "f***s" and "sh*ts" and religious inversion
yes a lot of his intelligent lyrics relate to religion but i have no idea how that can be a bad thing, MM has strong views on religion and he uses his music to get them across, if the music is good who gives a **** whether it has 'lots of ****s and shits'
Quote:
it has spawned hordes of misled, misinformed and maladjusted little dillweed goths
this reminds me of the religious fanatics who blamed MM for the columbine shootings. again they are ignorant fools looking for a scapegoat.
now to finish off ill just say that MM's music has become infinitely better with Mechanical Animals, Holywood and Golden Age of Grotesque.
Have any of you actually listened to any Marilyn Manson or are you all talking out of your arse like this reviewer obviously is???
Old 06-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #127
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Dillweed? What's that about? I'm impressesd by that reviewer's acridity! Very nice!

Last edited by Lizra : 06-22-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #128
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Yes I have listened to Smells Like Children, Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals, and that was enough. I think MM is complete garbage, thats my opinion and quite frankly your not going to change it.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #129
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

MM is garbage,
repetitive nonsence...

-Listen to Floater
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #130
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
yeah whats your point so is John 5
The point is that he is more relevant to this discussion than MM. As for John 5, the composer of many a cheesy pop tv theme tune, he has more or less everything he plays dictated by the boss.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #131
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I have respect for MM and his views....I like some his music, and he does have meaning in his lyrics, if you listen to them. But he is not as talented as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Peppers have been around for like 20 years, and they have created their own unique sound. Which MM hasn't done.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:10 PM   #132
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ragnarok
[B]Neither Red Hot Chili Peppers or MM should be in this topic, they both are no where near best guitarist.

Yes...I did create this thread to discuss great guitarists, but I'm really starting to enjoy this debate over MM and RHCP.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:18 PM   #133
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

MM versus RHCP is interesting I guess...but I'd much rather hear Brian Setzer and Stevie Ray Vaughn (OK, I guess I'll settle for Jimmie Vaughn ) rip it out!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #134
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Why settle? Just pop an SRV CD in and listen and be amazed all over again.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #135
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Yes I have listened to Smells Like Children, Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals, and that was enough. I think MM is complete garbage, thats my opinion and quite frankly your not going to change it.
how can anyone say that Mechanical Animals was garbage i can understand with Smells Like Children and Antichrist Superstar, coz they were that great with the exception of The Beautiful People which is awesome...
Quote:
MM is garbage, repetitive nonsence...
yeah good on you loser again ill ask what songs youve listened to, ill know when your lying...
Quote:
The point is that he is more relevant to this discussion than MM. As for John 5, the composer of many a cheesy pop tv theme tune, he has more or less everything he plays dictated by the boss.
ok just to sort this out when i am talking about best guitarists and saying MM i am obviously meaning John 5 (although MM does play a good solo Last Day on Earth live ), first off most of the music was written by Twiggy Ramirez (who sadly isnt in the band anymore) and the lyrics were written by MM, now i still dont see your point...
Quote:
I have respect for MM and his views....I like some his music, and he does have meaning in his lyrics, if you listen to them. But he is not as talented as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Peppers have been around for like 20 years, and they have created their own unique sound. Which MM hasn't done.
i dont care whether Chilli Peppers have been around for 2000 years they still produce poor music that gtes beaten to death by radio stations (a main reason i dont listen to the radio). and as a side note for his lyrics a lot of them you wont get unless you have a basic idea of religion, society, human nature, drugs and philosophy (particularly Nietsche) and if any of you can name who MM has 'copied' ill be very surprised *cough*throw away your television - mega copy of MM's artwork and music*cough*
Quote:
Yes...I did create this thread to discuss great guitarists, but I'm really starting to enjoy this debate over MM and RHCP.
yeah except it has turned into Millane onto 500 RHCP 'fans' (losers )
i challenge anyone to have a go at a MM song from Holywood, Mechanical Animals and the Golden Age of Grotesque...
quality of lyrics HAHAHAHA
Can I get your hand to write on
Just a piece of lead to bite on
What am I to fly my kite on
Do you want to flash your light on
Take a look its on display - for you
Coming down no not today

Did you meet your fortune teller
Get it off with no propellor
Do it up it's always stellar
What a way to finally smell her
Pick it up it's not to strong - for you
Take a piece and pass it on

Fly away on my Zephyr
I feel it more then ever
And in this perfect weather
We'll find a place together
Fly on my wing (WHAT UTTER TRASH )
Old 06-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #136
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i dont care whether Chilli Peppers have been around for 2000 years they still produce poor music that gates beaten to death by radio stations (a main reason i dont listen to the radio)
How is their music poor? If your going to claim that opinion back it up. Yes, I'll admit their songs tend to get overplayed on the radio, but that is usually when they are promoting something like a new album. It happens to alot of bands when they have fresh material.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #137
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I read through some of MM lyrics and they seem juvenile compared to some of the bands I listen to.

This is from Opeth

10. Patterns In The Ivy 2

Without you I cannot confide in anything
The hope is pale designed in light of dreams you bring
Summer's gone, the day is done soon comes the night
Biding time, leaving the line and out of sight

It runs in me, your poison seething in my veins
This skin is old and stained by late September rains
A final word from me would be the first for you
The rest is long but I'll go on inside and through

One moonlit shadow on the wall
Disrupted in its own creation
Veiled in the darkness of this fall
Is this the end - manifestation

~~~~~lets compare that to MM

"Coma White"

Something is cold and blank behind her smile
She's standing on an overpass
In her miracle mile
[coma:]
"You were from a perfect world
A world that threw me away today
Today to run away"

A pill to make you numb
A pill to make you dumb
A pill to make you anybody else
But all the drugs in this world
Won't save her from herself

Her mouth was an empty cut
And she was waiting to fall
Just bleeding like a polaroid that
Lost all her dolls
[coma:]
"You were from a perfect world
A world that threw me away today
Today to run away"

A pill to make you numb
A pill to make you dumb
[chorus repeat]

Yes, I understand the message to his songs, but his songwriting skills suck.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #138
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
and if any of you can name who MM has 'copied'
He copied Faith No More pretty recently.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:38 AM   #139
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
He copied Faith No More pretty recently
a tad more specific perhaps?
Quote:
How is their music poor? If your going to claim that opinion back it up.
Damn hypocrite i dont think you provided any evidence to back up your claim of MM is garbage... the provided exerpt from The Zephyr Song speaks for itself...
Quote:
Yes, I'll admit their songs tend to get overplayed on the radio, but that is usually when they are promoting something like a new album. It happens to alot of bands when they have fresh material.
no im talking about Cant Stop being played so much that it has been indoctered the "hordes of misled, misinformed and maladjusted little" wankers, into thinking the RHCP play good music
Quote:
Yes, I understand the message to his songs, but his songwriting skills suck.
if you understood the message to his songs you wouldnt agree with someone who says that he lack intelligent lyrics... MM's songwriting skills suck compared to RHCP or in general??? either way i dont agree... i dont see whats juvenile about Coma White that comment was ridiculous... just for the record Coma Black is better

My mouth was a crib and it was growing lies,
I didnt know what, love was on that day,
My hearts a tiny bloodclot, i picked at it,
it never heals it never goes away.

I burned all the good things in the Eden Eye,
we were to dumb to run, to dead to die,
I burned all the good things in the Eden Eye,
we were to dumb to run, to dead to die.
This was never my world, you took the angel away,
i'd kill myself to make everybody pay,
this was never my world, you took the angel away,
i'd kill myself to make everybody pay.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #140
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
a tad more specific perhaps?
Damn hypocrite i dont think you provided any evidence to back up your claim of MM is garbage... the provided exerpt from The Zephyr Song speaks for itself...
Wow have you even read any of my previous post. I said my views are exactly the same to that MM review which include this you loser: repetitive riffs, irritating filtered vocals, and typically sub-dued, quasi-industrial "beats", all amounting to what appears to be some wimpy attempt at a heavy industrial-goth hybrid.

Quote:
no im talking about Cant Stop being played so much that it has been indoctered the "hordes of misled, misinformed and maladjusted little" wankers, into thinking the RHCP play good music
Wow, that was pathetic on your part, your lacking originality just like MM. Insult us because you can't make a decent argument.

Quote:
if you understood the message to his songs you wouldnt agree with someone who says that he lack intelligent lyrics... MM's songwriting skills suck compared to RHCP or in general??? either way i dont agree... i dont see whats juvenile about Coma White that comment was ridiculous... just for the record Coma Black is better
MM lyrics sucks in general, the lyrics are something I could have written in 8th grade. The words rhyme but any kid can do that. look at the pattern: die, Eye, die, Eye, away, pay, away, pay. See what I mean Repeitive, am I suprised.... no.