Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2002, 06:58 PM   #121
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
If anyone's interested in the potential meanings of names in Harry Potter, this is an interesting site:

Harry Potter names
thanks for the link, sun-star!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:51 PM   #122
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
Something about a triumphant gleam in his eye when Harry says something about Voldemort being back...er, I don't remember at all, really. Does anyone else know what line I'm talking about?
Yes, I do. And I think I have an airtight explanation for that little gleam.

Voldie said he won't look for immortality yet, just his fomer powers. Now, let's think. He can't do the same thing he did for immortality because he's too busy. Before, Voldie was just a plain little shadow, but he could not be killed.

Now that he DOES have a body, and he's NOT looking for immortality, couldn't that gleam mean that there was a chance of Voldie being killed once and for all?

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:11 PM   #123
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Very possibly . I rather think it goes deeper then that, though.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:54 AM   #124
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Claenoic
Yes, I do. And I think I have an airtight explanation for that little gleam.

Voldie said he won't look for immortality yet, just his fomer powers. Now, let's think. He can't do the same thing he did for immortality because he's too busy. Before, Voldie was just a plain little shadow, but he could not be killed.

Now that he DOES have a body, and he's NOT looking for immortality, couldn't that gleam mean that there was a chance of Voldie being killed once and for all?
as much as i would be...er...entertained (yes i'm eeeeeevil) by Dumbledore being a baddie or something, i think you're right. yes, that's a very plausible explanation

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:06 AM   #125
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween

the structure of the next 3 books will be intresting. i think she is perfectally set up to write a lord of the rings type plot with lots of info and progression. things are gonna get a lot worse before they get better.
Being so cynical, i always say things get worse before better! A friend and i had a theory that the wizarding world would 'go out with a bang' at the end of the book, and be completely destroyed. Not a nice idea. But, i think in the end, Harry is going to have to kill Voldie, and that will make Harry into something he doesn't want to be, a killer. I think then he'll snap his wand if he doesn't die. Which he will. Nyah...shhh on the thoeries for end!

Quote:
he is indeed deeply mysterious but i do think to a certain extent he is training harry. In the first three books he seems to know whats going on but in the 4th he doesnt seem so clued up.

You one of these people that you would trust 90% but there is definate doubt about him.
Hmm. I still don't trust him. He knows more than he lets on, and that is suspicious. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me, i'm all for Evil!Dumbledore. I love evil *Wanders away to plot some world domination plan with the Dark Lord and EG*

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:29 PM   #126
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Good idea! When shall we start our meetings?
Dunno when are you free??

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:47 PM   #127
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Pretty much any time on the web... isn't the internet a lovely substitute for just "popping on over" somewhere? I mean, you might get a bit of an error message now and then, but likely won't get hexed for typing in the wrong URL.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 08:14 AM   #128
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
It is isnt it. I think i might spend all day here cos i hav a day off school. We need to start planning silverstripe

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 AM   #129
Silverstripe

Should I start a thread, Hanza?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 AM   #130
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
[B]Being so cynical, i always say things get worse before better! A friend and i had a theory that the wizarding world would 'go out with a bang' at the end of the book, and be completely destroyed. Not a nice idea. But, i think in the end, Harry is going to have to kill Voldie, and that will make Harry into something he doesn't want to be, a killer. I think then he'll snap his wand if he doesn't die. Which he will. Nyah...shhh on the thoeries for end!
Then Harry won't kill him. Maybe she'll pull a peter pan an he'll get swallowed by one of hagrid's monsters in the middle of a fight!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:22 AM   #131
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
he is indeed deeply mysterious but i do think to a certain extent he is training harry. In the first three books he seems to know whats going on but in the 4th he doesnt seem so clued up.

You one of these people that you would trust 90% but there is definate doubt about him.
Actually I think the way he acts screams PROPHECY!, you know when everyone has secret looks and tells the main character nil but insist that its for the best and a reason
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 12-02-2002, 01:28 AM   #132
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
Actually I think the way he acts screams PROPHECY!, you know when everyone has secret looks and tells the main character nil but insist that its for the best and a reason
You're right, that would be the one thing to make some of the really stupid-seeming things the characters have done make any sense at all (leaving Harry with the Dursleys after they realized the family had no redeeming qualities?! C'mon, it wasn't like he had nowhere else to go, not after starting at Hogwarts!).

But then, who says it's GOING to make sense?
Old 12-02-2002, 02:01 AM   #133
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

The Dursleys have protective charms on the house and I rember something about the magic having to do with relative. However I am also one of the people that are strong of the opinio that one day Dumbledore is going to have to send a rescue team after harry when the Dursleys get through with him

Old 12-02-2002, 08:19 AM   #134
Nunc
Hobbit

I believe (though deep down I harbour the hope that this is not true) that Harry will die in the last book.

All the indicators point to the fact that there is something very special about Harry - almost as though he was born for a specific task (getting rid of Voldemort).

Otherwise, why the particularly great secrecy required around the Potters? Why did Voldemort specifically want to go after them, and moreover, why did he specifically want to kill Harry in the first place? He had to kill James and then Lily first, who was protecting him.

Why Dumbledore's particular care for Harry? Indeed, it appears Dumbledore was the leader of the main opposition to Voledemort. I'd say Harry was part of the opposition's Plan to get rid of Voldemort. Harry himself is a pawn.

This is why Harry is being so carefully groomed at Hogwarts for whatever's coming.

It is for these reasons I think Harry will perish in the downfall of Voldemort - yes, Voldemort will be eliminated, but it will be too much for Harry, resulting in something that cannot be fixed by Madam Pomphrey in the Hospital Wing.
Nunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:32 AM   #135
Sween
im quite stupid

i would not be surprised if harry perents come back to life in the end
Old 12-02-2002, 11:50 AM   #136
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunc
I believe (though deep down I harbour the hope that this is not true) that Harry will die in the last book.

All the indicators point to the fact that there is something very special about Harry - almost as though he was born for a specific task (getting rid of Voldemort).

Otherwise, why the particularly great secrecy required around the Potters? Why did Voldemort specifically want to go after them, and moreover, why did he specifically want to kill Harry in the first place? He had to kill James and then Lily first, who was protecting him.

Why Dumbledore's particular care for Harry? Indeed, it appears Dumbledore was the leader of the main opposition to Voledemort. I'd say Harry was part of the opposition's Plan to get rid of Voldemort. Harry himself is a pawn.

This is why Harry is being so carefully groomed at Hogwarts for whatever's coming.

It is for these reasons I think Harry will perish in the downfall of Voldemort - yes, Voldemort will be eliminated, but it will be too much for Harry, resulting in something that cannot be fixed by Madam Pomphrey in the Hospital Wing.
Wow! We're all so cynical today! Remember what age group Harry Potter is aimed for? Do they typically go around killing off the main characters in children's books?! When the series is NAMED after the character?

And if Harry were only a pawn, it would lead children to believe that the "good guys" were really not much better than Voldemort. (also: "No, your teachers, parents, adults never really love you. Everyone just wants something from you. So why fight for anybody but yourself?" is not the lesson I'd want children, or anyone else for that matter, to learn!)

Thus the series would begin to deserve a little of the controversy it receives. I don't think Rowling would do that to her books.

However, I also do not expect Harry's parents to have a miraculous resurrection.

Last edited by Silverstripe : 12-02-2002 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:40 PM   #137
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
However, I also do not expect Harry's parents to have a miraculous resurrection.
be nice for poor old harry though. no i think they might be a nice way to end the seris
Old 12-02-2002, 08:17 PM   #138
Nunc
Hobbit

But you see Silverstripe, I don't think they are children's books. No more than Concerning Hobbits, and the Long Expected Party are children's tales.

I don't think they are really aimed at any particular age group; Rowling's complex and interweaving ideas are still very satisfying at an adult level. Or unsatisfying - depending on how eagerly one is anticipating the next book!

I do not think it cynical to hold that Harry will die, and only through his death get rid of Voldemort. It is one possible interpretation of the direction in which Rowling is heading.

I doubt Harry's parents will resurrect. The whole idea of the Avada Kedavra curse is that it is final. Even wizards are subject to mortality. I think Rowling would be against this; look at the way in which Voldemort is restored to a body. It's pretty clear that Rowling disapproves (in the persona of Harry of course, being terrified and horrified) of Voldemort's course of action. She is hardly going to use that sort of thing to resurrect Lily and James.

However, I would say they will be more involved in the next books - perhaps by some "magic" means like Voldemort's (Tom Riddle's) diary. They have made a magical appearance in each book so far, somehow: the Mirror of Erised, the Patronus Charm, Priori incantatio... Perhaps an even stronger appearance/s can be expected. But not resurrection.
Nunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:30 PM   #139
Silverstripe

Personally, I just don't think the books are going to get THAT dark. Ron could die, possibly. I think that would be a mistake, because everyone I've talked to likes Ron, often more than Harry. Same is true for Hermione. But I doubt that Harry is going to die.

I think there are certain things the Rowling won't do, not only because HP is marketed as a children's series, but also because readers would be unhappy. As a writer, you do have to consider your readers. And few authors like killing off their protagonists, either.

I agree that Harry's parents won't come back to life -- or if they do, it WON'T be an entirely good thing!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:57 PM   #140
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Quote:
i would not be surprised if harry perents come back to life in the end
I believe Mrs. Rowling mentioned something about Harry's parents never coming back in a live form... or something like that. Sorry.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote