Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2002, 12:50 PM   #121
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

[I never really thought about it before

Last edited by Celandine : 09-03-2002 at 12:53 PM.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:52 PM   #122
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Quote:
originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

there is a lack of female villians

I agree they need some more female villians
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:58 PM   #123
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Celandine

I agree they need some more female villians
Preferably not more spiders, though

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:42 PM   #124
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, perhaps the maternal instinct of doing anything to protect offspring (science talk...sorta) can be manipulated, which may be why women would be more ruthless.

They're also supposed to be better cops, because IN GENERAL they can think more rationally than men. (Note, in general. I probably wouldn't.)

Breaking a nail isn't that big of a deal. I have sort of long, uneven nails, and it can be painful, but heck, if women can survive childbirth they sure can deal with a broken nail.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #125
Eruviel Greenleaf

I don't think I could deal with childbirth.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-04-2002, 02:21 AM   #126
Beruthiel
Hobbit

<--------- My namesake is one of the only female villans ever discussed. She was a sorceress, and kept cats as spies. (but she's only mentioned by Aragorn in passing.)

Last edited by Beruthiel : 09-04-2002 at 02:22 AM.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:34 AM   #127
Sween
im quite stupid

dont forget the time that tolkien served in women were not even considred to go into batlle. he served in the first world war so he would never even want a woman in a real dangerous situation.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:27 PM   #128
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Queen Berethuil...I had forgotten about her. She is a very interesting character, because there is only one sentence about her! But what makes you think she's a villain? I'm just asking, because I don't remember that part very well.

As for women going to war, I agree that it wouldn't be relastic in the story because of the timeperiod when Tolkien was writing, as Sween said, and because I think it would take away from Eowyn's part in the story, which I did enjoy. I mean, if women were allowed to fight in battles, then Eowyn wouldn't have to go disguised and there wouldn't have been a big deal about it. That's just what I think Tolkien might have been thinking as a writer, trying to build up battle-suspense with a well-developed charcter. And by the way, it should be noted that once people did realize Eowyn was a girl, they rewarded her greatly and she became a warrior of no less renown than the greatest kings. That is not to say that I think women are not good soliders, because they are. But sometimes that isn't a good thing.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:54 PM   #129
UnStashable
Enting

Beruthial was a queen of Gondor who was more in line of just being a jerk than a true evil Lord (lady?). She supposedly sent a bunch of cats around to spy on people but the king got sick of her tomfoolery and had her and her cats banished on ship (UT). This might have been just a legend though.

two new points however one I'm not sure about vampires in the Tolkien, LOTR universe but the leader and most powerful(?) vampire, save Sauron who isn't really a vampire. Was female her name meant secret woman of shadow or something I can't remeber it now. She was also Sauron's messanger or something.

Also from unfinshed tales they did have stories about fair numbers of "woman warriors" but they were bad guys. Which I find fairly intersting (and novel). There was tribe of Easterling (wainriders i think) who invaded Gondor's Ally the Northmen and subjugated some of the Northmen. Later when fighting Gondor Directly Thier main army was defeated The Northmen had rebelled and it said something how about the unarmed slaves fought with the oldmen and armed young female eastlings.

So you get the women warriors and thier evil and cruel how entertaining (jk)
Old 09-04-2002, 07:24 PM   #130
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Women didn't go around waving bows and swords at that time. So I doubt a female elven archer would have been logical.
so thats why the felloship is lookin down the bows of female elves in Lothlorien?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:16 AM   #131
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
so thats why the felloship is lookin down the bows of female elves in Lothlorien?
Might I kindly remind you...this is the BOOK FORUM!!!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 AM   #132
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Are we hinting at Ungoliant as the female vampire? She was a giant spider.

And Beruthiel?
This is from The Encylopeadia of Arda, which credits Chris Tolkien for finding it in an unpublished manuscript:
The dark and mournful Queen to Tarannon Falastur, the twelfth King of Gondor. She owned ten marvellous and magical cats, that she set to spy on the doings of the people of Gondor. Her scheming was her undoing, though, since her husband set her adrift on the Great Sea, with only her cats for company. She sailed into the far south and was never heard of again, but she and her mysterious cats lived on in legend for millennia.

I have also read that when her cats went by, men cursed.
She was quite mysterious.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #133
UnStashable
Enting

Ungoliants translated name is Gloom-Weaver not Woman of Secret shadow and Ungoliant was never servent to sauron in the 1st age (or ever as far I think). Her name was Thuringwethil and Luthien was disguised as her when she came to the Island of werewolves in the Silm.

not in the least to be confused with Ungoliant
Old 09-05-2002, 02:34 PM   #134
Bertuthiel
Sapling

OOOhhhh! You're referring to the fell bat-form! An interesting thought that it might be able to change into a "vampirewoman".
Never thunka that.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:57 PM   #135
UnStashable
Enting

Ummm now im confused (fell bat form?, change into vampirewoman?)
Old 09-05-2002, 05:55 PM   #136
Caleb
Hobbit

Thats because you dont understand. You must understand to no longer be confused.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:49 PM   #137
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by UnStashable
two new points however one I'm not sure about vampires in the Tolkien, LOTR universe but the leader and most powerful(?) vampire, save Sauron who isn't really a vampire. Was female her name meant secret woman of shadow or something I can't remeber it now. She was also Sauron's messanger or something.

Also from unfinshed tales they did have stories about fair numbers of "woman warriors" but they were bad guys. Which I find fairly intersting (and novel). There was tribe of Easterling (wainriders i think) who invaded Gondor's Ally the Northmen and subjugated some of the Northmen. Later when fighting Gondor Directly Thier main army was defeated The Northmen had rebelled and it said something how about the unarmed slaves fought with the oldmen and armed young female eastlings.

So you get the women warriors and thier evil and cruel how entertaining (jk) [/B]
So this is from Unfinished Tales? Must get hold of that. What was the time in which this invasion happened? (first age? It is not mentioned in the Silmarillion, unless there is a part I missed)

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:40 AM   #138
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Arwen Undomiel LOTR is fine the way it is.

Even though the Fellowship was unbalanced in terms of gender, I would never want it to be changed.

Incidentally, there are famale dwarves, just not very many. That's why Dwarves reproduce very slowly. They don't look exactly the same as men, they have much less whiskers. A woman-dwarves side-whiskers are very attractive to men.

Luthien Tinuviel is the most kick ass woman ever! (In LOTR)
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:17 PM   #139
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

dwarf women must have been the first bearded ladies... *cough cough*

a female character in the fellowship wouldn't of been bad... I could imagine Eowyn replacing Aragorn. for some unknown reason, i don't like aragorn.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:56 PM   #140
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

How it is.

Dwarf women are supposed to be like that. They're not wrong for being different. They exhibit a character that humans would find unattractive, but human values do not apply to them - Dwarf values do.
I might be an Elf, but someone has to stick up for Dwarf women around here.

Why is it that you don't like Aragorn? I'm curious, and I hope no one dumps on you for not liking him. It's a perfectly valid feeling, plus it generates more debate

But maybe we should start a new thread about that.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote