Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2004, 05:11 AM   #121
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Heh! Well done Janny Doesn't that kind of thing make you feel just great??

Has anyone gone back to school yet, to start the AS levels? My cousin's just gone. And .... how's sun-star for Oxford ... when do you have to leave for there?
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #122
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemel
Heh! Well done Janny Doesn't that kind of thing make you feel just great??

Has anyone gone back to school yet, to start the AS levels? My cousin's just gone. And .... how's sun-star for Oxford ... when do you have to leave for there?
I'm afraid it does make you feel good... *head inflates*

sun-star's actually gone to Italy. She doesn't go to uni til... erm... early october or something...
Some of us were back at school last Thursday...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:15 AM   #123
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Last Thursday?? Good grief, not much peace then
Old 09-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #124
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes, not really. I have 2 days (Wed and Thurs) where I have nothing but Chemistry and Maths. I have 5 consequtive maths lessons from Wed 3 til Thuresday 2...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #125
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Yes, not really. I have 2 days (Wed and Thurs) where I have nothing but Chemistry and Maths. I have 5 consequtive maths lessons from Wed 3 til Thuresday 2...
Oh joy

Have you found that starting the AS courses is a big jump from GCSEs?

Oh, and do I detect a change in your blobbit?

Last edited by Hemel : 09-10-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #126
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes, indeed.
I haven't really noticed that change. Apparently it'sbigger AS to A2, but everyone you ask will tell you something different.

Yes, Janny's graduated.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:04 AM   #127
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Oh now that's interesting ... because this cousin is the first of all of us to do the ASs.

Heheheheh. She's been complaining. I can cheer her up now, next time I speak to her, and tell her that it's EVEN WORSE going from AS to A2.

Mwahaahaahaahaa!

btw, what do you intend to do when you get to uni?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #128
Janny
The Blobbit

Evil you!
Erm, I'm a little confused by your age now... did you do A-Levels prior to AS's coming in, or are you too young?

I'd like to study maths, but some little sub-subjects have struck me as interesting. Organic chemistry, for example. You have to love cis-4-methylpent-2-ene. Maybe that doesn't exist... I was composing it in my head with all the loverly naming rules.

Pure maths (though it's not strictly pure maths, apparently) is excellent too. Especially surds.

Man, I'm sad.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #129
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Evil you!
Erm, I'm a little confused by your age now... did you do A-Levels prior to AS's coming in, or are you too young?

I'd like to study maths, but some little sub-subjects have struck me as interesting. Organic chemistry, for example. You have to love cis-4-methylpent-2-ene. Maybe that doesn't exist... I was composing it in my head with all the loverly naming rules.

Pure maths (though it's not strictly pure maths, apparently) is excellent too. Especially surds.

Man, I'm sad.
Heavens that ... or something

But then ... you want to see me when I'm a-pokin' around diggin' up those old ol' bones . Now that really IS sad ... according to my brother anyway. He's totally baffled as to why I prefer dead people to living ones ...

..... to which I have an answer ... something about ... 'try looking in the mirror' ...

Oh, and for age ... well, I'm way post-A-levels, TG - I'm post post-grad .... which, translated, means I'm just dabbling around in another discipline for a year or two post Master's ante PhD
Old 09-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #130
Janny
The Blobbit

Archaeologist?

Coroner?

Old 09-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #131
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Archaeology
Old 09-12-2004, 06:24 AM   #132
Janny
The Blobbit

Fascinating. What kind of things do archaelogists do? (When I did my research into what mathematicians did, all I could find were people composing weird formulas for how to park cars etc..)

Old 09-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #133
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
well one week over at 6th form. and im...getting used to it. was kinda weird and infact after two days i absolutely hated it. but now i liking it again i think. i like most of my lessons although ima bit iffy about psychology atm. but il sick it out for awhile longer before makig a decision.

archeology? cool. my friend would love to do that when shes older. egyptian period is her favourite.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #134
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What kind of things do archaelogists do? (When I did my research into what mathematicians did, all I could find were people composing weird formulas for how to park cars etc..)
Jigsaw puzzles. Though it's not as peaceable as it might seem - you should see the wars that can erupt over theoretical disagreements ... think Armageddon and you'll know what I mean . Those funny hard hats you see archaeologists wearing aren't just to protect them from the odd loose lump of earth on digs, you know

If you really don't like a subject you've chosen, Hanza, can you just drop it or change it or do you now have to stick it out to the exam?

Last edited by Hemel : 09-12-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #135
Janny
The Blobbit

So which particular bit of history do you cover? And how did you get into it? History at school is so analytical, it's all politics...

Old 09-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #136
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
So which particular bit of history do you cover? And how did you get into it? History at school is so analytical, it's all politics...
Heh! Sounds a bit like ... well, a bit like other things, once people get going btw, that's one of the things I found a little tedious about history - that it didn't deal so much with the social side as the political side.

It's the prehistoric that fascinates me - neolithic to Iron Age. Especially the Iron Age. I got into it by the weirdest of routes - basically by researching for some creative writing I was doing just for fun ... and then finding I was enthralled waaaayyyy beyond what I needed to know for that

I'll be saying 'bye for a little while now ... ... I'm off away for a week or so
Old 09-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #137
Janny
The Blobbit

Have fun

Old 09-13-2004, 05:52 PM   #138
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemel
If you really don't like a subject you've chosen, Hanza, can you just drop it or change it or do you now have to stick it out to the exam?
we can drop it and change aslong as theres room on another course and it can fit with our timetable without too much fuss, neway have fun.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #139
Hand_me_my_nose
Sapling

Hello fine specimens, this may sound a bit of a silly question, but here goes.

I took both ICT and BS at GCSE, basically because I was told that passing ICT would be equivalent to four GCSE’S and BS equivalent to two "Heraa bonus i though!"

ANYWHO! I’ve been accepted to a college do A levels. Yet! The college will refuse my entry if I do not meet my predicted grades. I have figured I will NOT meet them!!

I was hoping by passing ICT and BS the number of GCSE’s accomplished would be boosted.. so I still have the required amount…. just in fewer subjects.

Does anyone know if GNVQ ICT an BS will be accepted at more than one GCSE? Or do you think they’ll be mean and only count them at one *bites nails*
Hand_me_my_nose is offline   Reply With Quote