Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 09:29 PM   #121
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
Hey BeardofPants its from a song called Love on the Rocks don't know who its by though. I just like the quote. I'm like that- whimsical and full of random song lyrics!!! Tee hee Mx
Neil Diamond I think - erm...my mum played it a lot, ok?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 05:05 AM   #122
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

*feeling of enlightenment* cheers Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:10 PM   #123
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Suuuuuure, Draken.

(Thanks. )
Old 11-15-2002, 07:14 PM   #124
Miranda

Still convinced love sucks- found out today that I'm almost the only single at college! Most depressing! No-one wants a scary LOTR freak with long Arwen hair and a passion for the stars. Anyone know where I can find Legolas Greenleaf so he can sweep me off my feet and take me off to Middle Earth? To hell with love you're miserable if you're in it and miserable if you're not...or am I just very bitter at the moment?

Quote:
One day my prince will come, one day we'll meet again. And away to his castle we'll go, and be happy forever I know. He'll whisper I love you and steal a kiss or two. Though he's far away, I'll find my love someday. One day when my dreams come true.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:51 PM   #125
Nibs
Head Hollara

Love just doesn't have very good P.R. I mean, I saw it turn my cousins into mysoginists for a whole semester at school. They both got dissed almost simultaneously and were slightly less fun to be around... but before they got dissed...

They'll be back on that buckin' bronco of love before you can holler the Periodic Table... and they just might hang on...

Does anyone else have a... condition, I guess I'll call it... where you can't manage to do anything you think is in any way suave or intelligent or witty or anything positive when in the company of a person of the opposite gender and this person still keeps in touch with you? That freaks me out. 'Course, I guess I've never asked if she's the same way ('cuz that'd be suave or something)...

Anyway, I was wondering... do you think the magic in a relationship is in getting butterflies when you're around the person (which can and *cough* has led to some interesting situations), or really clicking and feeling comfortable? Or maybe a little bit of both, as the relationship progresses?

Not as though this is a big thing in my life... just something I've wondered about.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 03:01 AM   #126
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
No-one wants a scary LOTR freak with long Arwen hair and a passion for the stars.
Ummm...

But I still think you have a poor understanding of love on the whole.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #127
Miranda

I'd understand it if I'd ever been in it! I once had this great b/f who I thought I loved but he turned out to be a possessive freak who didn't like me talking with any other blokes- even my mates at the studios! It broke my heart and I've kind of been really cagey about love since then. I do know a lot about friendship love though. I love my best friend, she's one of those people who just makes you laugh all the time and can make even the worst problems seem so trivial. All my mates at college and studios are great too- like an extended family- I don't see them as friends more like Brothers and Sisters. I think that might be a bit of a bohemian thing- we live in eachothers pockets so there has to be a lot of love for it to work. One day I'll understand love and I'll come on here and tell you all how happy I am and get rid of all my silly old hate love posts!!! Mx
Old 11-16-2002, 03:31 PM   #128
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Let me tell you what my approach to love is:

Love is a commitment to someone else's benefit. if you love someone, you want what is good for them, and put them ahead of yourself.

Love should not be gauged by feelings, it should be gauged by actions. And so you don't need to wonder about 'being in love' or whether uou 'love' someone. Simply act as though you did.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:47 PM   #129
Miranda

I suppose there are a lot of people who my actions towards can constitute as love then- I'm alwas there 100% for my friends and will do anything for them and I adore them all. My problem is romantic love- I just haven't found that person that will make you go that extra mile, even further than I'd go for my friends. Hey, I'm only young- whole world of experience out there for me! Just sometimes feel a bit on the shelf when I'm the only one out and single on a saturday night. Can I be expected not to feel that way? Perhaps its something I've yet to grow out of. My problems come from all the fairytales I've devoted my life to- I've got far too romantic a view on life. I'm still believing that one day Prince Charming will ride up on his white horse, sweep me into his arms and carry me off to paradise- hey a girl can dream. If it happens though- I'll be quite happy with my lot then. Maybe I'll find my bohemian prince when I go to college. Adios Mx
Old 11-17-2002, 04:44 PM   #130
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
I suppose there are a lot of people who my actions towards can constitute as love then- I'm alwas there 100% for my friends and will do anything for them and I adore them all. My problem is romantic love
So-what's so important about romance? As far as i'm concerned, the common veiw of romance has some serious flaws.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:55 PM   #131
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i do not know
Old 11-17-2002, 06:53 PM   #132
Miranda

So-what's so important about romance? As far as i'm concerned, the common veiw of romance has some serious flaws.

But it would be nice to have someone to be with. Someone to come home to at night. When I was with my ex it was a different feeling to that which I have with my friend. Sure I can live without the romance but I want someone I can rely on and I know will always be there not just as a friend but as a soul mate. My parents have proved to me that you can find people like that. Sure they argue occassionally but they've been together for over twenty years and have an amazing understanding with eachother that I could never have with someone who was just a mate- even my best mate Roxie. She's like a sister to me and I tell her absolutely everything but I need someone who I know will be there when I come home, to look after me. I'm just scared of spending my life with only my friends and no-one to love and who'll love me in return. Romantic love isn't something you should give up on- I believe there's an Aragorn for every Arwen, a Jack for every Jill, and a Rosie for every Sam so I'm not giving up on finding my Legolas! Mx
Old 11-17-2002, 07:05 PM   #133
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Miranda, this is what your arguement sounds like:
Quote:
Miranda:
it would be nice to have...I want someone...but I need someone... I'm just scared of spending my life no-one who'll love me in return.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:09 PM   #134
Miranda

Hey you that's not what I mean!!!!I find it hard to put it into words!!! I'm hardly the most eloquent person on this subject. I know what I mean myself and it sounds nothing like that in my heart. Mx
Old 11-17-2002, 07:15 PM   #135
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

You wrote it, I only quoted it!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:57 PM   #136
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Miranda:

I did not say I was against romance in particular, I only said that I disagree witht eh common view of romance.

For one, it is almost completely selfish. People base 'love' on what they are getting, not on a commitment to giving. Real love occurs when you honestly want what's best for someone else, and they honestly want what's best for you.

I believe that romantic love should be the same as friendship, but more so, with each seeking to fulfill the needs of thier partner, while at the same time having their needs being met.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:56 AM   #137
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The hardest thing about love is to invest in the stable mutual funds, and not just any old stock.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:10 PM   #138
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wouldn't over-analyze it! Miranda, I know what you mean! You will meet you Aragorn someday, you just have to go through Hell until you do!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-19-2002 at 04:12 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #139
Miranda

Finally someone who agrees with me- although Aragorn is only second choice- I'm a Legolas person I'm afraid.
Quote:
One day my prince will come, one day we'll meet again. And away to his castle we'll go and be happy forever I know...
Mx
Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #140
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Let me tell you what my approach to love is:

Love is a commitment to someone else's benefit. if you love someone, you want what is good for them, and put them ahead of yourself.

Love should not be gauged by feelings, it should be gauged by actions. And so you don't need to wonder about 'being in love' or whether uou 'love' someone. Simply act as though you did.
Probably the main reason for divorce right there!

I think there is no "one" You can love anyone. Love is a commitment yes but it is also a great deal of feelings. *thinks of a way to accurately convey what her mind thinks as understandable and logical, to the people who would think I was raving mad* You have the ability to get along with anyone as long as you and that person agree to be patient, tolerant, and "kind" (terrible thing to say ) At least in my mind. I believe also that you can be more compatable with dude A than with dude B and D but even more compatable with dude C. (or chick for those of the opposite gender).

Get it? Got it!

This one is deactivated, I think.

Last edited by Aeryn : 11-19-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote