Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #121
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
So you'd prefer PR, smoke and mirrors; a president sitting at his desk receiving, while we bomb a country? Oh, I forgot, you do.
nope, i'm just saying that if he cared he would have gone sooner... and even if he didn't care, he should have gone sooner for his own sake

please look at the timeline
Old 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #122
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
was the president over there actually being given any real information?
A good question and one which probably won't be answered until all the investigations are done.

Quote:
If so: then he is a tom-fool of a took and should throw himself down a well next time: if not: is he personally to blame?
Nope. Decisions of this type are made by the organizations below the President. That office shouldn't have it's hands in the pie that much. Try to remember he did authorize what he could and the rest is up to those below to do.

Quote:
this to me is the question: what, if any communication was he getting at this point, bearing in mind the inept and unacceptable aerly response to this?
An ethereal response? Perhaps another choice of words?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #123
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i edited that .... was meant to be 'early'
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:54 PM   #124
Ben
Retired Ent

This thread is moving so fast! People are editing their messages as I respond to them!

Quote:
it seems to me that Bush could have done a much better job with his reactions. The president is an important symbol, and just being there means a lot to the American people. His being there may not have accomplished anything that some may see as concrete, but to me, encouraging people is a concrete thing.
That's precisely what I was trying to say. Brownjenkins also expresses this point well. Many other countries have separate positions for ceremonial and substantive heads of state (presidents, prime ministers, royals, etc.). In America, Bush is both president and prime minister. He must lead by example and by policy.

When Bush was in NYC with the bullhorn, it brought America together. It seemed like he cared about what was happening. The president can be a very comforting figure for Americans just by being somewhere, or saying something. Much of what happens in politics is symbolic.

I was upset with the guitar picture because it signaled to me that the leader of our country didn't care what was going on in New Orleans. This was a scripted photo-op. As brownjenkins said so aptly - even if Bush didn't care what was going on, his crack team of political advisors should have known how much it would mean for the country and for the image of the president to immediately launch into action.

And guitars have nothing to do with VJ day.

With regard to the investigation - glad you agree. I think there may be a natural partisan impulse in career politicians - Republicans may want to cover for the president at all costs, and Democrats may want to skewer him at all costs. That's why the investigation should be done in a bipartisan, or nonpartisan way. I don't want Bush leading it, and I don't want Ted Kennedy leading it.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #125
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What this reminds me of is the response of the people of Great Britain over Princess Diana's death. It was very clear that many, many thousands of people were really grieving over it, and the Queen, IIRC, just stayed on vacation in Balmoral. There was a general feeling of the affected people that the Queen should cut short her vac and get back to Buck Pal - the headline was something like "Madam, your people need you!" It was a very touching cry from the heart, and shows the power of that position. (Note - the Queen couldn't even DO anything! Diana was "seriously dead", as my police friends say.)

IMO the same thing went on here - maybe a burly National Guardsman could schlep sandbags better than the President, but I think he should have come a lot sooner, because those people needed him (not as an individual, but as the head of their country) in the same way the grieving people in GB needed their Queen.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #126
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
IMO the same thing went on here - maybe a burly National Guardsman could schlep sandbags better than the President, but I think he should have come a lot sooner, because those people needed him (not as an individual, but as the head of their country) in the same way the grieving people in GB needed their Queen.
I like this, what you say here, Rian. That's a good comparison you've made, it's true. I remember getting the same sense when Diana died, that whole thing about the Queen seeming so coldly blase about it, and how pissed off and sad the people were that she didn't openly comfort them right away after Di's death.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #127
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

fancy asking for a third time Rian? Go on.. it's your turn ...

maybe third time round someone will answer?

yeah, good analogy 'bout diana.... though don't know about needing the queen ... but yup as head of state (and Mother in law) she did have some duties....
Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #128
Ben
Retired Ent

That's an excellent analogy, Rian.

Quote:
On other fronts - what was the third thing on the FEMA list, btw? And for those who know more about the government, when is it the state's responsibility for taking care of their own unique issues, and when is it the fed's?
The third catastrophe on FEMA's list in 2001 was a massive earthquake in San Francisco. So I really hope that FEMA, the Bush administration, Gov. Schwarzenegger, and the local officials in SF are now taking any preventative measures possible and working out the kinks in evacuation and relief plans, if they haven't done so already .

I'll get back to you on the federalism issue.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #129
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Bmilder: thanks for answering that.

how's old arnie doing over there by the way? what's the general perception?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #130
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I think part of the problem was that Bush and his cabinet happened to be scattered about various places and with Bush on his own like that you tend to have some delayed reaction to events. When Chaney or Rice or someone is sharing the same building at that time then you often get some quick decisions made as to where the president should be and what he should do. Someone runs down the hall and starts saying we need to do this now. But if im not mistaken all the big players were scattered here and there busy with other projects on that fateful day so quick instant decisions were not forthcoming.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #131
Ben
Retired Ent

Economic policy

Quote:
Those "relieve the rich" laws that have been passed have been good for the economy and for society as a whole. - Lief
A general discussion of the merits of supply-side economics would be best suited for another thread. However, whether or not deep tax cuts are good policy for creating jobs, I think it's pretty clear that they're not effective for dealing with national catastrophes.

Although I suppose people could use part of their tax refunds to donate to the Red Cross, in almost all cases the American taxpayers could not directly aid the people of New Orleans. There are many stories of FEMA turning away highly-skilled individuals and groups - I can provide details if you'd like.

Jonah Goldberg, a conservative writer for the conservative National Review, allows the following about different economic philosophies:

Quote:
For years, Democrats complained that we needed to spend more on "first-responders." I took this for what it often was: an attempt to pad municipal budgets with pork. But, one must concede it wasn't entirely about that either. And while it's likely this disaster would have presented many if not most of the challenges we're seeing this week, even if all that money had been spent as the Democrats wanted, it remains hard to dispute that it would have been better spent than much of the garbage in recent budgets.
Now, I think that in a conservative zeal for shrinking government and cutting waste, they seem to have cut too much (see one of my previous posts for specifics). I think it's a fair criticism to say that some of the money returned to the taxpayers should have been used for disaster preparation. Tax cuts, combined with the usual pork and spending that both parties have engaged in, left precious little wiggle room for creative solutions or federal funds for the doomed Big Easy.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #132
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I think part of the problem was .......
Oh, you'll hear about this now , we practically agree and the wolves are at the door.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #133
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Obviously, the feds should help if there's a disaster, but is the Lousiana gov't getting criticisms, too, or do they get a pass because it's more fun to criticize Bush?

All I ever hear is criticism of the federal government. Perhaps people are criticizing Louisiana too, but I haven't heard it.

According to state law, only the governor of Louisiana can call in the National Guard. However, after the catastrophe, Louisiana's governor did not call martial law for some time.

As has been pointed out by others on this thread also, it does actually take some days for the National Guard to move into a situation. The move into Iraq may have been done in twenty-four hours, but it was planned and practiced for months before the move was executed.

As I recall, our main tsunami relief actually did take some time before it got to the disaster zones in the affected regions as well. I'd have to come back with some real data on that, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
most of the criticism of the federal government concerns the fact that action wasn't taken earlier to possibly have averted such a disaster (or diminished it's effects)... and since the federal government is paying much more now then they would if they had helped out back then, it would have been in their best interest
As I pointed out in earlier posts, the same problem was facing New Orleans from a category 5 hurricane while Clinton was president, and he did not resolve the issue. He got lucky. Katrina wasn't his term. I heard from a National Geographic video made during Clinton's term that a category 5 hurricane could swamp New Orleans' levees and drown the city, killing thousands. The federal government made the same "mistakes" in previous administrations, and I don't really think one can blame Republican policy for this. Democratic policy on New Orleans would not have saved the city from Katrina either.

I don't have time to respond to your posts here tonight, bmilder. They'll take some thought and perhaps a bit of research. Another time .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #134
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Old 09-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #135
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
*Backing off from politics again*

I was wondering if anyone here has considered taking any hurricane survivors into their home.

My husband and I considered it since we have a great number of them that evacuted to our city. But I have to say that we both have mixed feeling about it.

Opinions???

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

-------------------------------------------

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #136
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
As I pointed out in earlier posts, the same problem was facing New Orleans from a category 5 hurricane while Clinton was president, and he did not resolve the issue. He got lucky. Katrina wasn't his term. I heard from a National Geographic video made during Clinton's term that a category 5 hurricane could swamp New Orleans' levees and drown the city, killing thousands. The federal government made the same "mistakes" in previous administrations, and I don't really think one can blame Republican policy for this. Democratic policy on New Orleans would not have saved the city from Katrina either.
it's not necessarily partisan in my eyes... bush is president now... he also has the precedent of 9/11 about how much we needed improvement in the disaster-planning area... times change and officials should be expected to also

on requesting federal help... look at the timeline, it was asked for before the hurricane even arrived, yet implementation was very slow:

Quote:
Friday, August 26
GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA: [Office of the Governor]

GULF COAST STATES REQUEST TROOP ASSISTANCE FROM PENTAGON: At a 9/1 press conference, Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander, Joint Task Force Katrina, said that the Gulf States began the process of requesting additional forces on Friday, 8/26. [DOD]

Saturday, August 27
5AM — KATRINA UPGRADED TO CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE [CNN]

GOV. BLANCO ASKS BUSH TO DECLARE FEDERAL STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA: “I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster.” [Office of the Governor]

FEDERAL EMERGENCY DECLARED, DHS AND FEMA GIVEN FULL AUTHORITY TO RESPOND TO KATRINA: “Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency.” [White House]
Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #137
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
As I recall, our main tsunami relief actually did take some time before it got to the disaster zones in the affected regions as well. I'd have to come back with some real data on that, however.
Actually we had boots on the ground in remote tsunami effected regions in 24 hours. And that was on the other side of the world. Although I think the first to arrive were soldiers who came from the Pacific. But still. New Orleans is just a few hours from most points in the US by airplane. So I dont really think you can use the Tsunami as justification for taking forever to get to New Orleans.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #138
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmm, the airport wasn't working. troops aren't relief and how do you get to a city that's go no place to land.
just some thoughts, although I know none will score points.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #139
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

it was working on friday and saturday... preemptive measures maybe?

this would be something we have not done in the past (any administration for that matter) ... but maybe a thought for the future
Old 09-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #140
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

but that's the problem, the STATE had two days advanced Disaster status and COULD have done something....but didn't.