Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #121
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Could the eleventh part, Knife of dreams, be the final one or is there a twelth and final one in the works.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 07-29-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #122
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'm betting at least 13 at least... plus, that title doen't sound grand enough for a final book
Old 07-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #123
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

it does sound like he might dive into the whole finnland-morraine-lanfear thing with that title though... maybe worth reading
Old 07-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #124
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Here's an interesting link regarding the book. It's essentially what would be written on the cover jacket.
http://www.sevenspokes.com/books/v11-kod.html

I doubt that much will be resolved in this book, though it's beginning to become more clear how events in the series are likely to turn out. I think Egwene might be able to turn this kidnap by the White Tower to her own advantage. It is a nasty situation she's in though, considering the kind of people she's dealing with.

Here's an excerpt from "Knife of Dreams":
http://www.knifeofdreams.com/excerpt.php
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-30-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #125
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I'm currently more than halfway into Crossroads of Twilight and I can't see why people are bashing it so hard I know the action is slow, but it has been this way for the past 3 books or so...
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #126
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm glad you have that experience . I cruised through that book very swiftly, in spite of its being slower. People who bash that book tend to bash a very large number of Robert Jordan's books. I agree with some of the complaints- the characters are very similar to one another, the women are insane, and the books are pretty slow. I still enjoy the books, though .

Robert Jordan says that the book he released just before "Knife of Dreams" is more of a "lull before the storm." "Knife of Dreams" is supposed to be full of action scenes.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #127
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Robert Jordan says that the book he released just before "Knife of Dreams" is more of a "lull before the storm." "Knife of Dreams" is supposed to be full of action scenes.
I recall reading something along these lines and thinking: he probably did some last minute changes on the plot after all the ranting he's had about book 10
Old 08-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #128
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
I know the action is slow, but it has been this way for the past 3 books or so...
that's the point

close to zero plot advancement... one book i can understand, but three? in comparison to the first six, i think he's been slacking quite a bit... i enjoy his stuff, i just think he probably could have easily condensed the last three books into one or two and lost a lot of the irrelavant and repetative stuff
Old 08-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #129
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yeah, I think we're all agreed on that point.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #130
Lenya
Elentári

Yeah. I heard he intends to make 12 books, but now you guys are making me worry. He will almost certainly write more volumes that he is planning for and I don't know if I will be in the mood to read much more of his work. But I'll have to, can't stop in the middle of a series.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #131
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, I heard on one "Wheel of Time" site that he is planning to keep it down to two more books, the "Knife of Dreams" and its sequel. I heard on that site that he was planning to keep it to that many books, even if the last one had to be 1,500 pages. Perhaps that's true.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #132
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I just finished Crossroads of Twilight today (and picked up New Spring) I have to say, despite all the stuff I've heard about CoT, the ending really took me by surpise, so I'm voting for this book as a good one!
New Spring looks promising as well
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #133
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Bleh. I didn't really like New Spring. Everyone was obsessed with sex and how great they were in bed--I mean not that I'm saying that isn't realistic for people to be obsessed with that, but it gets boring it read it over, and over, and over, and over.

That and the characters just felt really, really weak to me in NS.

Ahhhhh well. The Aes Sedai test was pretty neat, although I wouldn't class it as 'OMGTEHBBQ!' good
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #134
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

My main difficulty with "New Spring" was keeping track of the characters. So many names . . .

There was an exciting climax . Robert Jordan always has been very skilled with his action scenes. I liked seeing Lan again, too.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #135
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Well, I heard on one "Wheel of Time" site that he is planning to keep it down to two more books, the "Knife of Dreams" and its sequel. I heard on that site that he was planning to keep it to that many books, even if the last one had to be 1,500 pages. Perhaps that's true.
Nooo!

Beren3000, I'm glad you finally finished it I didn't like it so much. I still hold that book 9 was the best one so far. As for New Springs, I have decided not to read it. Too much other stuff to read for me to stick with one writer. The only reason why I considered it for a while is because Lan is in it
Old 08-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #136
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
Beren3000, I'm glad you finally finished it I didn't like it so much. I still hold that book 9 was the best one so far. As for New Springs, I have decided not to read it. Too much other stuff to read for me to stick with one writer. The only reason why I considered it for a while is because Lan is in it
Well, guess what... I just finished New Spring and it's worth it. Two words: read it!!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #137
Lenya
Elentári

Not convinced yet.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #138
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

*Hypnosis voice* Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaad iiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt.........reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaa aaaaaad itttttttttttttt!

*Normal voice* Convinced yet?

Now seriously, it's a good book. It has something of the feel of the "older ones", especially the initial naivety that characterized Eye of the World it also features Lan and a neat description of the Aes Sedai test...
Hope that's enough.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #139
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I'm going, at last, to take up WoT again. I haven't read since february, but I read the first volume of George R R Martin's Song of Ice And Fire. Which was a very good fantasy, but I got a stronger urge to read further in WoT than Song Of Ice And Fire. So I am borrowing the 8th book tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #140
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I started on The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
by Robert Jordan and Teresa Patterson. It's very interesting; if only Tolkien had written a book like that....