Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #121
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Well, James I didn't like it back in 1604 But seriously (speaking from complete ignorance), maybe we haven't been aware of the dangers of smoking for very long. Advances in medical knowledge have over time revealed more accurate causes of death, I assume.
I'm not too sure of that - there is a letter that Churchills mother wrote to him when he was 15 or 16 when he started smoking - telling him how deadly it was and that she wished he would stop. We've known for a VERY long time that smoking kills - maybe not all the damage it does, but I think that hardly matters.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-26-2004 at 02:21 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #122
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

Congrats on post quota.

That was pretty much all I did understand of the last post. Sorry, I may enjoy watching and learning about US politics, but most of it is still beyond me. Besides this is a UK politics thread. If you're going to criticise anyone, criticise us.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #123
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Well, like I said I'm speaking from medical ignorance. I know that smoking has often been considered a "filthy habit", definitely not something to do in front of the ladies, and not something real gentleman did either (I'm mainly talking 19th century here). People may well have distrusted it - whether they knew the precise health risks is another question. Maybe inked will know the answer.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #124
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

I was told in A level biology that it's only because people have been living longer that we've noticed the long term effects that their lifestyle can have, ie, cancer. Personally I don't want to live beyond 60, so I'm just going to light up...

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:28 PM   #125
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Yes, well, as an unreconstructed Southerner in the USA, I can tell you by cultural witness that the most dread words in America are "We are from the government and we are here to help you!" Their imposition of of Reconstruction and its aftermath were once reason for Woodrow Wilson's opposition to the draconian measures of vengeful Europe after WWI. Even Churchill noted the fact, IIRC. Not that that stopped the vengeance. And what'd you get? Hitler and the Third Reich! Fortunately the lessons were learned better 2nd time around! Why Germany's division into Russian and American and French and British sectors even slowed the process down until the fall of the Berlin Wall! How's it doing now?
Okay... You're saying Woodrow Wilson wanted to reconstruct Germany and Europe peacefully because of a history of state interference in the US?

(NB: vengeful France, if you please, not the whole of Europe. Lloyd George sided with Wilson as far as he was politically able)

Quote:
NOTE: 400th post, let's all go off to the Teacup Cafe for a nooner recap of brekker, eh?
If it's still there It's nearly dinner time for me, but have fun with your party (they throw good parties over there)
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #126
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarven Sen
Congrats on post quota.

That was pretty much all I did understand of the last post. Sorry, I may enjoy watching and learning about US politics, but most of it is still beyond me. Besides this is a UK politics thread. If you're going to criticise anyone, criticise us.
Well yes it is the UK thread - but then the discussion had gone onto smoking and stuff. I didn't mean to sound mean - it's just that I hear it all the time where people say the US had a "democratic government" or a "Republican government". We don't - the president is only one small part of our government. He has his administration - that is all - which is made up of his cabinet. So right now - it can be called a "Republican Administration" - during Clinton - it was a "Democrat Administration". Hope this helps and sorry if I sounded mean.

Here's something I criticise the UK for - your damn surveillence cameras on the streets. Talk about the beginnings of big brother.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #127
inked
Elf Lord

I wasn't trying for quota, but just happened to notice it when earlier today I reminded Nurv of my location!

Now, the world's (not just the UK, but the entire world's) problems are all due to one, and only one cause. LIFE.

LIFE is a 100% terminal SEXUALLY-TRANSMITTED disease.

If the governments of GB et alia can eliminate sex, within one generation they will have eliminated poverty, war, crime, disease, and the whole host of problems associated with verminous humans. Such a solution would be the ultimate in
EQUALITY - social/political/gender/legal/et cetera ad nauseum discriminations
would be eliminated;
JUSTICE - same principle applied to everyone ('course the next generation won't gripe 'cause it won't exist);
LIBERTY - all existent humans will be able to choose their final destination
(pardon me for suggesting there are two!).

So, eh? Shall we have GB apply the concept first and observe? Surely someone in your nanny-state will see the proposal and seek to act on it?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 11-26-2004 at 02:35 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #128
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
So, eh? Shall we have GB apply the concept first and observe? Surely someone in your nanny-state will see the proposal and seek to act on it?
Might I suggest France instead - we sort of need Britain in our fight against terrorism. Let's do the experiment in a country that always gives us problems instead.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #129
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Here's something I criticise the UK for - your damn surveillence cameras on the streets. Talk about the beginnings of big brother.
Why don't you like the surveillence cameras JD? There are already cameras in many different kinds of stores. And people can already see you when you're outside. If they were in people's homes (ie. a private place as opposed to a public place) then there would be a problem.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #130
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

These tapes help solve crimes that otherwise wouldn't have been solved and some of these are extremly serious eg. murders
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #131
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Why don't you like the surveillence cameras JD? There are already cameras in many different kinds of stores.
Stores are private property - but it is one of the reasons I have boycotted Wal-Mart for over 5 years.
Quote:
And people can already see you when you're outside. If they were in people's homes (ie. a private place as opposed to a public place) then there would be a problem.
Soo - hmmm - how do you know they aren't looking through the windows? Or how do you know that there isn't someone in the control room that is for whatever reason - very interested in you and watches when you come and go outside your house, apartment, knows your license plate number, etc. Just becuase your visible outside - does not mean that cameras should be used like that.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #132
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
These tapes help solve crimes that otherwise wouldn't have been solved and some of these are extremly serious eg. murders
Doesn't mean they should be on the street. As Bejamin Franklin said - "Those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither".

NOTE: i have no problem with private companies or businesses choosing to use cameras - I do have a problem with the government doing it. It's like those ridiculous speed trap things they have in france where there isn't even a cop - just a machine on the side of the road that records the speed and issues the tickets.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-26-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #133
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yet with out them criminals would be more at large as there is less of a chance of catching them and having a posotive ID and solid evidence.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 11-26-2004, 02:52 PM   #134
jerseydevil

Quote:
Yet with out them criminals would be more at large as there is less of a chance of catching them and having a posotive ID and solid evidence.
Well if that's the case - then why don't we let the government wire our houses and all businesses and then there won't be criminals abe to plan or anything that. What is the next step after the cameras on the streets?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #135
Telcontar_Dunedain

Camera's aren't needed in houses as there are cameras in office blocks, car parks, shops etc. Most places are covered with some sort of security, usually cameras.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #136
jerseydevil

Quote:
Camera's aren't needed in houses as there are cameras in office blocks, car parks, shops etc. Most places are covered with some sort of security, usually cameras.
Those are all private companies and businesses - I'm talking about the ones that just monitor sidewalks and things - that the government sets up. See that's the difference between the US and Europe - we value our freedom and privacy more I think. In Jersey City or one of New Jersey's northern cities - they had set up cameras to monitor this street corner - there was such a huge ourcry - they were forced to remove it.

With New Jersey's EZ-Pass system - it is written into the law that it can NOT be used for law enforcement or speed control. It would be very easy for them to calculate when a car enters a toll plaza and exits when they get off - and thus calculate their speed. It was a HUGE concern here and the citizens fought to have is stated that EZ-Pass can not be used in that way.

We do have cameras on highways that are STATIONARY which you can use to see how traffic is - basic webcams - I have no problems with those - they don't zoom in or out on license plates, they just monitor traffic.

BTW - I'm not necessarily talking about cameras in houses - what about just monitoring equipment to listen in on people's conversations. That way if a crime occurs - the police can be right there, or if someone discusses the crime - they'll be able to act. No where to run, no where to hide when big brother is looking over your shoulder 24/7.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-26-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #137
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well I personally would prefer to lose the little privacy that you lose from CCTV camera's and feel safe than vice versa, I'm sure there are Brits that agree and some that disagree with me.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #138
jerseydevil

Quote:
Well I personally would prefer to lose the little privacy that you lose from CCTV camera's and feel safe than vice versa, I'm sure there are Brits that agree and some that disagree with me.
My argument is what's the next privacy area or freedom you are willing to give up for a false sense of security? And I do think it's a false sense of security.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #139
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Stores are private property - but it is one of the reasons I have boycotted Wal-Mart for over 5 years.
But later you say that you don't have a problem with private businesses using cameras. (I don't have a problem with you boycotting Wal-mart, I'm just confused by the two statements.)

Quote:
Soo - hmmm - how do you know they aren't looking through the windows? Or how do you know that there isn't someone in the control room that is for whatever reason - very interested in you and watches when you come and go outside your house, apartment, knows your license plate number, etc. Just becuase your visible outside - does not mean that cameras should be used like that.
We're talking about the government here. They already know your liscence plate number, age, income etc. etc. It's not wrong of them to know that, but it would be wrong if they used it to discriminate against you in some way.
Similarly, it would be wrong if the cameras were pointed into people's windows, but not if they automatically took a picture of anyone running a red light at an intersection, for example.

Are the cameras in Britain proposed or already in place? What are/will they be used for?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:09 PM   #140
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Do you not trust your government, JD?